Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-05-2012   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Belichick

Think he's had enough?

I'm calling it now, he's going to hang it up in the next few weeks.

:swammi:
Old 02-05-2012   #2
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Belichick

no way u know how good it is to work up there in boston its first class
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012   #3
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

They have 2 first round picks,2 second round picks, a third and a forth coming up in the draft ...He will try to rebuild A bit
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

He'll be 60 in April
Old 02-05-2012   #5
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
He'll be 60 in April
So? Tom Coughlin is 65. Coaches routinely coach into their 60s. Why would Belichick retire right now? The Patriots are consistently one of the best teams in the NFL every year.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012   #6
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I dunno about Belichick, but I wouldn't be surprised if Coughlin retired after that big win.
Old 02-05-2012   #7
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9534 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

He may as well hang them up. Ray Lewis should too. The Houston Texans will become the team to beat in the AFC for the next four or five years. It's our time to own the conference. it's going to be a fun ride.
Old 02-06-2012   #8
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15056 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Wouldn't be shocked to see he and Brady call it quits together in 3 or 4 years.

FWIW, Brady's contract plays through 2014 and Belichick's runs through 2013.
Old 02-06-2012   #9
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Wouldn't be shocked to see he and Brady call it quits together in 3 or 4 years.

FWIW, Brady's contract plays through 2014 and Belichick's runs through 2013.
This x 2

All he's doing now is riding the gravy train he built 10 years ago. WHy jump off now?
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
This x 2

All he's doing now is riding the gravy train he built 10 years ago. WHy jump off now?
Because that's not how Belichick works. At least I don't think so.

He's been to the SuperBowl 5 times, won 3 of them. I'm thinking he's asking himself if he wants to go through it all again.

Not that I think he's the kind of guy to back down from a fight, But he's on top right now & he can call the shots. Why go through a 9-7 year (it's coming), not make the play-offs, then be asked to take a walk?

Right now, he can name his replacement & focus on a pure GM role. He can focus on the personnel side (which is their biggest issue) & let his right hand (Josh McDaniels..... I kid) take over the day-to-day grind of coaching.
Old 02-06-2012   #11
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Belicheck is not the genius that many tout him as.

He managed the Ravens game horribly and he managed the game last night horribly, and arguably caused the Patriots to be in the bad position that they were in. Trying to beat down the clock on that last drive (Not the one minute drive) they had was just a horrible strategy from the first place, because if the Patriots didn't score a TD making it a two possession game, it was going to automatically give the Giants the ball at the end of the game and the Giants were going up and down the field on the Pats all night. It was a broken game plan from the start and put everything on that one drive, because the Pats weren't going to stop Eli when all he was going to need was a FG. Hell, they would have been better off letting the Giants score right away so the Pats could have gotten the ball right back with enough time to score. That was extremely stupid on Belicheck's part, and I said that while that drive was going. The Pats had to score on that drive if they were going to try and milk down the clock.

Belicheck has done a horrible job at rebuilding that defense, getting help at wideout, and getting play making RB's to help out their offense.

Brady has carried that team over the last few years. Not Belicheck's alleged genius. I've seen to many poor coaching errors from him over the last few years.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #12
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I dunno about Belichick, but I wouldn't be surprised if Coughlin retired after that big win.
Well, it sounds like he's coming back for at least one more year...

Quote:
Tom Coughlin is coming back for the 2012 season.

Coughlin put any lingering doubt to rest about that during his press conference on Monday morning, reiterating the point he’s made several times when the issue has come up over the last two weeks.
LINK

Also, as it relates to Belichick going out "on top", I'm thinking that not having won a Super Bowl since 2005 (2004 season) and having lost the last two he was in is a far cry from his idea of leaving on top. I'm gonna say there's no way in the world he doesn't coach next year.
Old 02-06-2012   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Think he's had enough?

I'm calling it now, he's going to hang it up in the next few weeks.

:swammi:
Bill said many times that he wants to coach for another decade or so but not as long as Marv Levy. He ain't going anywhere anytime soon. He's a brilliant coach and I hope he sticks around for a long while.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Belicheck is not the genius that many tout him as.

He managed the Ravens game horribly and he managed the game last night horribly, and arguably caused the Patriots to be in the bad position that they were in.

Belicheck has done a horrible job at rebuilding that defense, getting help at wideout, and getting play making RB's to help out their offense.

Brady has carried that team over the last few years. Not Belicheck's alleged genius. I've seen too many poor coaching errors from him over the last few years.
Great post. I didn't want to come out with a, "the game is passing Belichick by" post, but you did a very good job of doing it for me.

Don't get me wrong, we'll see what's what in the off-season. Heck, Tom Coughlin was "fired" at week 14 but will probably be offered an extension.....

So Bill can work some magic this off-season if he chooses to stay...

But I think it might be a good idea to move into the front office & find that next great coach to replace him.
Old 02-06-2012   #15
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I do not think Belichick is going anywhere for awhile. Kraft certainly is not going to fire the guy, so it will just be a matter of when Belichick finally gets burned out and hangs up his hood.

He still got his team to the Super Bowl, though. And they were in it until the end. I just think the Giants are more talented, and to be honest, they seemed more aggressive in their hustle. They sort of reminded me in attitude of the Patriots teams that won 3 SBs in four years.

NE is an elite team for at least a couple more years. But, they need to quit relying on "heart" players and get some guys that are just dominant at their positions. Brady has got 2-3 years, at most, to be 'elite'. Get him a freakin' speed WR over 6'1"!!! It seems like they have nobody to stretch the field since Moss was canned.

For a defensive minded coach, it's very weird to see his D ranked last in so many areas. It's on the skill of Brady and pure luck that they made it to the Super Bowl, but they cannot keep picking up project players and putting them at other positions.
Old 02-06-2012   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
For a defensive minded coach, it's very weird to see his D ranked last in so many areas. It's on the skill of Brady and pure luck that they made it to the Super Bowl, but they cannot keep picking up project players and putting them at other positions.
I think this point is kinda murkly...

Pats were still 15th in points given up defensively....so while they gave up lots of yards, it was lots of bend but don't break stuff. The Texans only gave up 4 less points per game than the Patriots last year. Pats had some def injuries earlier in the year as well.

Old 02-06-2012   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post

Pats were still 15th in points given up defensively....so while they gave up lots of yards, it was lots of bend but don't break stuff. The Texans only gave up 4 less points per game than the Patriots last year. Pats had some def injuries earlier in the year as well.
Ahh, good point, Vinny. For some reason, I thought they were ranked lower in points given up. This is one of those tangible stats, like turnover ratios, that actually shed light on things. That's not too bad. They just need some better corners, IMO.
Old 02-06-2012   #18
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post

This is true. I looked this up and at the end of the season they were ranked like 15th in PPG given up, but I think that stat is a little exaggerated, because NE plays with the lead so much making it easier for their defense to defend. They've had so many games I've watched this year where their defense screws things up, and I knew for sure that against the Ravens and the Giants that their defense wasn't going to be able to hold the other team.

Plus, BB was a complete idiot to try and run the clock down on their last drive. I couldn't believe a coach of his stature would be so simple minded in how he put all of their team's hopes on that drive knowing that they were going to have to give the ball back to Eli and the Giants with only a two point lead if they didn't score a TD. That was a rookie coach mistake by doing that, because the Pats weren't going up and down the field at will down the field. They should have tried to score fast to assure that they'd have the ball back if Eli and the Giants had scored again and taken the lead. It would have been a one possession game and they would have had probably at least two minutes.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #19
Vinny
shiny happy fan

We gave up 17.4 points per game and the Pats gave up 21.4. I agree they need some secondary help, plus they need better edge rushers. They either need someone dynamic, or a cast of thousands like we have here....but as you know as a Texan fan - It's tough to come up with elite edge players in the NFL.

Frankly all the top teams have flaws right now. A good as time as any for a team like the Texans to fill that void as the elite team in the league next season...they are already in the top tier. We just need some playoff success now.

Old 02-06-2012   #20
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 67619 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

How many rings have Belicheat and the Cheatriots won since they were told to stop cheating and generally being scummy cheating cheaters?

Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world. -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read