Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-06-2012   #21
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: IF the texans were in the super bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
I think this is a new thing. With all the rule changes having a passing game that can exploit them for 5000 yards a season is becoming more important than a D that can't stop it anyway due to the rules.

That draft was a horrible draft for CB's, I'm expecting KJax to become a decent player in this league under Wade, though I doubt he'll ever live up to 1st round status (we all expect a shutdown corner from a first round pick, which may be a problem)
I honestly think if he can stop thinking & just play, he'll be a shutdown corner.
Old 02-06-2012   #22
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Still hard to say. Different systems, different coaches, different philosophies..... McCourty looks to be more athletic to me. I think 2010, he would have looked just as lost as Kjack had Smithiak selected him instead. But, he'd have looked a lot closer to his rookie season this year, with the pressure we got on the QB in 2011. Jackson still has issues..... mostly confidence I think. Like he's still thinking way too much.

Playing McCourty at Safety is more about Belichick being fluid with his personnel. Putting the best players/athletes on the field & letting them make plays. Maybe. You'd think you'd want your best athlete playing CB & not Safety...... they have Molden playing CB, so I don't know.

Next year, 2012, I think will be more telling.
In the regular season,the Texans recorded 44 sacks;
The Pats had 40.
Overall, I would say the Texans had more QB pressures and hurries than the Pats by watching the games.
That much is true.

However, we also need to isolate the situations and see whether that pressure is helping a certain CB or not.
The situation like the one in which Mario saved JJo in the Indy game, for example.

On the other hand, you also trade pressure for safety help.
When the safety is in position, did he help or was he a little slow or completely late in providing help.

When you isolate the one-on-one situation where the CB doesn't get any help from either pressure or safety, McCourty looked worse than Jackson even in 2010.
2011 was a complete disaster for McCourty, hence the move to safety.

The Pats had McCourty play safety before Molden ever saw the field at CB.
Obviously, we don't know what the Pats coaching staff has been trying to do (their reason for the move.)
On that end, I agree that next year we will be able to find out more about these players.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #23
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=welsh texan;1895605]I think this is a new thing. With all the rule changes having a passing game that can exploit them for 5000 yards a season is becoming more important than a D that can't stop it anyway due to the rules.

That draft was a horrible draft for CB's, I'm expecting KJax to become a decent player in this league under Wade, though I doubt he'll ever live up to 1st round status (we all expect a shutdown corner from a first round pick, which may be a problem)[/QUOTE]

This is a totally unrealistic expectation.
For example, the Chargers CBs were both first rounders.
They are long-time veterans now and neither of them is anywhere near that description. That goes for several other 1st rounders as well.

There are a lot of cover 2 corners in this league.
Molden, even with his 4.39 speed at the combine doesn't cut it as a man-coverage CB.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #24
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

They are long-time veterans now and neither of them is anywhere near that description. That goes for several other 1st rounders as well.

Molden, even with his 4.39 speed at the combine doesn't cut it as a man-coverage CB.
I think that's his point. With the new rules, you aren't going to have many shutdown corners anymore. Even Revis.... if it weren't for his reputation, he'd be the most penalized CB in the league.
Old 02-06-2012   #25
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 156418 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think that's his point. With the new rules, you aren't going to have many shutdown corners anymore. Even Revis.... if it weren't for his reputation, he'd be the most penalized CB in the league.
oh pleeeeze, this ain't the NBA. Nobody is giving Revis any kind of help with the officiating like the NBA gives its superstars.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #26
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
oh pleeeeze, this ain't the NBA. Nobody is giving Revis any kind of help with the officiating like the NBA gives its superstars.

Next time I'll ask you what I saw before I post my opinion.
Old 02-06-2012   #27
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 156418 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Next time I'll ask you what I saw before I post my opinion.
what the heck does that mean anyway? I'm not telling you what you saw, but if you think the NFL is giving DR special treatment let me ask you why? He's just some dude...why give him powers to avoid penalties nobody else has? We just let him commit penalties that nobody else can get away with because he is cool?

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-06-2012   #28
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=76Texan;1895677]
Quote:
I think this is a new thing. With all the rule changes having a passing game that can exploit them for 5000 yards a season is becoming more important than a D that can't stop it anyway due to the rules.

That draft was a horrible draft for CB's, I'm expecting KJax to become a decent player in this league under Wade, though I doubt he'll ever live up to 1st round status (we all expect a shutdown corner from a first round pick, which may be a problem)[/QUOTE]

Exactly, perhaps I should have said '...which may be a problem with our perspective' instead, I'm excited to see Kjax next season, I'm expecting a big improvement again, and imo, if he improves as much from last season to next as he did from his rookie year to last season, he's going to be pretty good.

Especially later in the year I saw a lot of plays where KJax was in really great coverage, and that includes a few big plays he gave up where I felt he was simply unlucky and forced a great throw/catch from the opposition.

I don't get the idea of drafting CB2 this season (and definately not going for a FA one), we have a backlog of young talent at the position already, and just because none of them are the finished article yet doesn't mean you give up on them so early.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #29
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
I don't get the idea of drafting CB2 this season (and definately not going for a FA one), we have a backlog of young talent at the position already, and just because none of them are the finished article yet doesn't mean you give up on them so early.
Agreed.

Wasn't too long ago some were giving the Texans a hard time for letting Tramon Williams go.
Old 02-06-2012   #30
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
I think we had 3 losses before Schaub went out
True statement.

We were actually 3-3, then went on that 7-game win streak.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #31
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think we have to go out and actively seek DB talent like we did last off-season....BUT if you we have the oprotunity to upgrade the talent level without breaking the bank or at a reasonable price, you do it.

No, you probably aren't going to get two shutdown corners, but that doesn't mean you have to be complacent with what you have either.

And just because a lot of teams don't have two shut down guys doesn't mean that can't be your goal. We have Joseph, if we get lucky with a corner we already have or if we draft a guy then you have two really good, playmaking corners for atleast a few years...

Look at the Jets last year. They went out and actively pursued Aso even though they already had Revis. They would have had what many considered to be the top 2 corners in the league.

Can you imagine if they'd have skipped over Aso and instead went after Joseph?

Phew...We (along with the NFL) dodged a bullet on that one. JJo and Revis would have been sick. I'm talking about puking, vomit everywhere, stomach cramps, fever, sweating, snot....sick...

Last edited by Rey; 02-06-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #32
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I can think of a Monday night game where Revis mugged the receiver then intercepted the ball intended for him and ran it back for six. Can't say if it was because it was Revis in the coverage but it sure looked like the refs "let that contact go" when Revis knocked the guy off his route.
Quote:
3rd and 7 at NYJ 15 M.Moore pass short left intended for B.Marshall INTERCEPTED by D.Revis at NYJ 0. D.Revis for 100 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
LoS was the 15... he ran it back 100 yds.... which means he snagged it in the end zone. So he was way past the 5-yd no-contact boundary.

Just seems like Revis gets away with more bumping than less famous guys do. But that could just be my perception.

For the record, I think the refs should call all DB/WR contact that way. A little bumping and jostling is okay by me.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012   #33
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Our healthy roster against their healthy roster, we do very well. More importantly, our 2012 roster will be significantly better.
Old 02-11-2012   #34
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
117-0 texans!!!!
Texans 200.....Giants 2 lmfao.....why not.....lol
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012   #35
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

I've seen no evidence that the Giants would have lost to us.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read