Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-05-2012   #1
LongTimeLurker
#1 UTSA Fan

Rep Power: 0 LongTimeLurker is a quality contributor and well respectedLongTimeLurker is a quality contributor and well respectedLongTimeLurker is a quality contributor and well respectedLongTimeLurker is a quality contributor and well respectedLongTimeLurker is a quality contributor and well respectedLongTimeLurker is a quality contributor and well respectedLongTimeLurker is a quality contributor and well respectedLongTimeLurker is a quality contributor and well respectedLongTimeLurker is a quality contributor and well respectedLongTimeLurker is a quality contributor and well respectedLongTimeLurker is a quality contributor and well respected
Default my probowl solution idea

everyone is starting to complain about the probowl and how there is no competition and how its a joke.

here is my solution:

replace it with a game of the two worst teams in the NFL where they play head to head and the winner gets awarded the number 1 draft pick, so this year it would be the colts and rams fighting for andrew luck, although rams might not feel like they need to draft luck, they can trade that pick for more later round picks

for the purposes of awarding players, they should have a televised award ceremony complete with highlights, hosted by someone like jimmy fallon
LongTimeLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012   #2
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: my probowl solution idea

LOL. You would see all sorts of NFL records broken while teams lay down for the top pick. Some RB would probably rush for 400 yards while the other team decides not to tackle him.

Goodell has a better option though. Just get rid of it (maybe).
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/75...-consideration

Quote:
The quality of play in this season's Pro Bowl has drawn criticism from fans, former players and at least one player who played in the game. On Sunday, commissioner Roger Goodell said you can add his name to the list of detractors.

In an appearance on ESPN Radio's "Mike and Mike in the Morning" on Sunday, Goodell said the league must address the quality of the game and even said he would consider eliminating the all-star game if it can't be improved upon.

"I really didn't think that was the kind of football that we want to be demonstrating for our fans," Goodell said. "And you heard it from the fans. The fans were actively booing in the stands. They didn't like what they were seeing."

Goodell said something has to change.

"We're either going to have to improve the quality of what we're doing in the Pro Bowl or consider other changes or even considering eliminating the game if that's the kind of quality game we're going to provide," Goodell said.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012   #3
LongTimeLurker
#1 UTSA Fan

Rep Power: 0 LongTimeLurker is a quality contributor and well respectedLongTimeLurker is a quality contributor and well respectedLongTimeLurker is a quality contributor and well respectedLongTimeLurker is a quality contributor and well respectedLongTimeLurker is a quality contributor and well respectedLongTimeLurker is a quality contributor and well respectedLongTimeLurker is a quality contributor and well respectedLongTimeLurker is a quality contributor and well respectedLongTimeLurker is a quality contributor and well respectedLongTimeLurker is a quality contributor and well respectedLongTimeLurker is a quality contributor and well respected

i think it would be more competitive than you think, it depends on the projected number one draft...i assume rams want to keep their QB so, if the truly wanted to keep their qb, they can win the number one pick and trade it off for multiple picks, so they win in this scenario

the colts FO will do all that they can to keep the first pick also, not sure how theyd convince the QB to win the game when he is ultimately going to be replaced
Old 02-05-2012   #4
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly, with the money that could be lost by an injury (even in the Pro Bowl it could happen) and the state of the Pro Bowl today, I think they should just have a black tie awards ceremony after the season. That goes for all sports. I would watch with more interest an awards ceremony than today's all star events.

Just my opinion.
Old 02-05-2012   #5
pirbroke
All Pro

Rep Power: 11106 pirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respected

Just get rid of the game and do some challenges, but what with football? I like the slam dunk and 3 point shoot out with the NBA. I could see a few nice QB throwing challenges, a fastest man would work for me. Not so sure about the linemen, maybe see how heavy a sled they can push 10 feet. How about throw 10 footballs all within a half second of each other to the receivers and see how many they can catch. I'm sure we could come up with some more ideas to make it entertaining.
pirbroke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeLurker View Post
everyone is starting to complain about the probowl and how there is no competition and how its a joke.

here is my solution:

replace it with a game of the two worst teams in the NFL where they play head to head and the winner gets awarded the number 1 draft pick, so this year it would be the colts and rams fighting for andrew luck, although rams might not feel like they need to draft luck, they can trade that pick for more later round picks

for the purposes of awarding players, they should have a televised award ceremony complete with highlights, hosted by someone like jimmy fallon
I actually like the idea.... except, instead of the two worst teams, I'd put the 10 worst in a lottery type selection process. Only two teams can "win" We might have the Vikings & the Jags playing for the #1 & 2 picks, everyone else would fall in line behind them.

It would do away with the "suck-for-luck" type seasons as the highest draft pick they would be "guaranteed" would be the 3rd pick.
Old 02-05-2012   #7
LongTimeLurker
#1 UTSA Fan

id actually want to watch this game also haha
Sponsored links
Old 02-05-2012   #8
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Why would people want to watch the worst teams?

And you still have the problem of FAs not wanting to risk injury
Old 02-05-2012   #9
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15475 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Thing is though some guys will be playing for another guy to replace them.

"Go on out there Sam and go get us some Luck!"
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012   #10
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 52700 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

I've said for a while to get rid of the game and have an awards show like they did last night. I actually watched that. The Pro-Bowl, no. You can still send everybody to Hawaii. Announce your Pro-Bowlers, or All-pros or whatever, along with the season award winners like they did last night.

If you absolutely have to have competition, do a skills competition or something. But the game has got to go. It's an absolute joke.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012   #11
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 107142 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it would be best for the NFL to just have an awards show.. It doesn't make sense to have the 6th best Quarterback in the league to get sent to the probowl (mainly because either the others are injured or one is still playing)

Agents and players must love that and get to use it as a bargaining chip in contract negotions, Owners got to hate it.

*I am using QB for example and could have named any position
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012   #12
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Also it'd be nice to see an improved voting system. How about all the HC's get to vote for their pro-bowl lineup, but aren't allowed to vote for their own players?

Any selection is going to be based on subjective opinion, but the quality of those opinions seems pretty poor in the current system, and the open ballot system where you can vote as many times as you're sad enough to is just crazy, although I'm sure it ups their traffic for advertising purposes.

Wolf, I know what you're getting at, but having the 6th best QB in the league in the Pro-Bowl is only a best case scenario, I believe they take 3 per conference? In reality, Peyton is injured, Eli and Brady (both top 6) Schaub is out who's probably top 10 and suddenly you've got QB's who aren't even necessarily top 10 making the Pro-Bowl, its crazy!! Totally agree with the point you were making btw.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012   #13
gwallaia

Rep Power: 73392 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

It's obvious after watching the game that the players really don't care about it and are just going through the motions. Scrap the game and replace it with a Madden Super Bowl.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #14
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I've had the same idea to change it for a couple years now....

The Pro-Bowlers are one team. The other team is whoever wins the Super Bowl. It could even be a 2 quarter scrimmage to lessen the chance of injury. Giants won, so Giants v. All-stars for all the glory and bragging rights. Imagine a regular team having to face a team of HOFers, big shots and playmakers....that's enough to get me to watch. You could also include the skills competition to drag it out. Fastest man in football event, take the fastest guy from each team and let them race it out. QB challenges, to hit tires from different distances, put a gun on them and see who throws the hardest or the farthest. Throw in a couple combine events to see who can still put up workout numbers...I'd watch it and I'm quite sure I wouldn't be the only one. It's a lot better than watching a bunch of guys (the ones who actually go) play at 25% speed, not hitting and not playing D.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #15
macho grande
Veteran

Section: thin air up here
Rep Power: 347 macho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respectedmacho grande is a quality contributor and well respected

How bout a rookie vs sophomore game?
macho grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't have any problem with the league getting rid of this farce of a game. These exhibition games come and go. Anyone remember way back when the NFL Champ played the College All Star team at the end of the season? Pittsburgh played in the last one in 1976
Quote:
What would prove to be the last College All-Star game was held on July 23, 1976. The Pittsburgh Steelers, winners of the Super Bowl following the ’75 season, represented the NFL against an all-star squad that included such future pro stars as Oklahoma’s Selmon brothers (DE Lee Roy and DT Dewey), RB Joe Washington, G Jackie Slater, WR Duriel Harris, QB Richard Todd, and two-time Heisman Trophy winner Archie Griffin (pictured running at bottom). The team was coached by Notre Dame’s Ara Parseghian.

There were 52,895 fans on hand at Soldier Field for the Friday night contest.

http://fs64sports.blogspot.com/2010/...-all-star.html

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #17
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 55704 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Poker tournament. Wouldn't you love to have seen OchoCinco and TO try to keep a poker face?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #18
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

No way do I want to watch the two worst teams in the NFL play...

Why the hell would I tune in to see who gets the first pick out of the Rams and the Colts? Why would I care?

That's like watching two idiots in a spelling bee...

It's only funny for a second then you feel bad for them and get bored with it all.

I'd rather see the best of the best actually play....

I don't have a problem with the pro-bowl as I don't turn in to see real football. But if for some reason you do tune in to see that then I can see why you'd be mad.

If you want to make the game more competitive, up the anty...Every member of the winning team gets an extra 3 million dollars added to their check by the NFL over the course of next year...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I don't have any problem with the league getting rid of this farce of a game. These exhibition games come and go. Anyone remember way back when the NFL Champ played the College All Star team at the end of the season? Pittsburgh played in the last one in 1976

http://fs64sports.blogspot.com/2010/...-all-star.html
That was great. Never understood why they got rid of it.
Old 02-06-2012   #20
Texaninlild
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4558 Texaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Texaninlild

What happened to the NFL skills challenges? I would rather watch that. You could have NFC vs AFC on a point system for winning events like a track meet would. It would be more entertaining and possibly a better turnout.

I am a Christian

Philippians 4:13
Texaninlild is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read