Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-03-2012   #1
JVL713
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 JVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default [Radical Idea] Quin Back to CB?

Hey guys, i've been reading TT for a while now but haven't posted much, but I'm very interested to see what you guys would think about this possible scenario.

I know this is a pretty crazy idea, and I am aware that Glover performed much better this year as a safety than he did in the past as a Corner, but I'm thinking his performance increase may have had just as much to do with maturing as a player and learning under a much better DC in Wade than it did switching positions.

Anyways, I have been looking at the top upcoming free agents, and one name stuck out to me as he has always been a favorite of mine: LaRon Landry. With Landry ending the season on the IR in two consecutive years, I think he can be signed for a lot less money than his play on the field warrants.

At first glance, I thought there was no way the Redskins would let a guy like LaRon go, but then I read this article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...ywO_story.html

I'm not quite sure how much money we will have left over after hopefully resigning most of our FA's, but, if the price was right, would you guys consider picking up LaRon and moving Glover back to CB? IMO, this would take our defense to the next level. The defense is amazing as is, but that 2nd CB spot leaves me a bit worried.

CB, as we have learned, is a very tough position to find an instant upgrade at via the Draft. So if we were to fill that 2nd CB spot with Quin, we could focus our draft on either WR, a position where rookies can actually have a pretty decent impact, or NT, which would then be our weakest position on defense.

I know there is a very little chance of something like this happening, but what do y'all think?
JVL713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012   #2
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 40560 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: [Radical Idea] Quin Back to CB?

2 things.

1. Landry has an injury problem and it requires surgery, he is denying the surgery, thus making him expandable to the skins, so unless he does this only to get cut and get out of that hell hole then does the surgery, no thanks

2. I would not mind Quin moving down to corner, he did play that a lot of the season, Nolan and Demps saw a ton of action.....BUT I think we then need to draft a 1st round safety, are there any great ones?
Old 02-03-2012   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 140377 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVL713 View Post
Hey guys, i've been reading TT for a while now but haven't posted much, but I'm very interested to see what you guys would think about this possible scenario.

I know this is a pretty crazy idea, and I am aware that Glover performed much better this year as a safety than he did in the past as a Corner, but I'm thinking his performance increase may have had just as much to do with maturing as a player and learning under a much better DC in Wade than it did switching positions.

Anyways, I have been looking at the top upcoming free agents, and one name stuck out to me as he has always been a favorite of mine: LaRon Landry. With Landry ending the season on the IR in two consecutive years, I think he can be signed for a lot less money than his play on the field warrants.

At first glance, I thought there was no way the Redskins would let a guy like LaRon go, but then I read this article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...ywO_story.html

I'm not quite sure how much money we will have left over after hopefully resigning most of our FA's, but, if the price was right, would you guys consider picking up LaRon and moving Glover back to CB? IMO, this would take our defense to the next level. The defense is amazing as is, but that 2nd CB spot leaves me a bit worried.

CB, as we have learned, is a very tough position to find an instant upgrade at via the Draft. So if we were to fill that 2nd CB spot with Quin, we could focus our draft on either WR, a position where rookies can actually have a pretty decent impact, or NT, which would then be our weakest position on defense.

I know there is a very little chance of something like this happening, but what do y'all think?
Welcome to MB & good thread which has been discussed before. As a fan of Quin since he was drafted, I saw him as a natural FS & he was ranked as #7 in nation. I think the mind set of Phillips is to leave Kareem @ CB2. We have very good talent waiting in wings like Brandon Harris who was evaluated bysome as a first round prior to draft & I mocked him in 2nd round only to be disappointed he was not taken. Surprise! Wade trade back into first & got him in a move that was noted favorable by talking heads. ANother guy Roc Carmichael could prove to be a starter. I just don't see Texans picking a CB in any round except maybe 6 or 7. I also don't see a FA at that position. Check out the forum under national football on mocks for info & discussion on college players.
Old 02-03-2012   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 140377 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
2 things.

1. Landry has an injury problem and it requires surgery, he is denying the surgery, thus making him expandable to the skins, so unless he does this only to get cut and get out of that hell hole then does the surgery, no thanks

2. I would not mind Quin moving down to corner, he did play that a lot of the season, Nolan and Demps saw a ton of action.....BUT I think we then need to draft a 1st round safety, are there any great ones?
No. Mark Barron is a pure SS & doesn't fit our role for safety. Lester does but is a mid to late 2nd round. Here is a guy I followed for 2 years that has exploded up charts Winston Guy

Class:
Senior

Hometown:
Lexington, Ky.

High School:
Catholic

Height / Weight:
6-1 / 216

Position:
Safety

Moved into the new hybrid safety/linebacker position during the spring ... Quickly adapted to the new post, which showcased his athletic ability as he made plays all over the field ... Two-year starter at safety ... Went through the National Football League evaluation process before deciding to return for his senior season ... Has played cornerback, free safety and strong safety during his career ... Has good size and speed ... Also a hard hitter ... Also sees extensive action in kick coverage and has returned kickoffs ... Has played in 39 games with 23 starts.

2010 (Junior): Second on the team in tackles with 106 ... Third in tackles per game among the SEC's defensive backs ... Led the team with three interceptions, vs. Auburn, South Carolina and Tennessee ... Had back-toback career highs with 16 tackles in the win over Charleston Southern and 18 stops in the victory over Vanderbilt ... Also scored 2.5 tackles for loss against the Commodores ... His 18-tackle performance against Vanderbilt was the higest by a UK player since Wesley Woodyard in 2005 ... Also hit double figures with 10 tackles, plus the pickoff, in the upset of South Carolina.

2009 (Sophomore): Played in all 13 games, starting 11 ... Totaled

2011: was even better and is a tackling machine. Should be there in our third round #90 pick
Old 02-03-2012   #5
cbs1507
Veteran

Rep Power: 8662 cbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respected

No this is not a "radical" idea per say. I proposed that the Texans signed Tyvon Branch from the Raiders and mover Quin back to the CB in the other MB. Of course, that was before I realized other priorities we needed to address in the offseason. So if we were to ever mover Quin back then we would probably have to get a safety in the draft.
cbs1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012   #6
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 53673 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbs1507 View Post
No this is not a "radical" idea per say. I proposed that the Texans signed Tyvon Branch from the Raiders and mover Quin back to the CB in the other MB. Of course, that was before I realized other priorities we needed to address in the offseason. So if we were to ever mover Quin back then we would probably have to get a safety in the draft.
I'm certainly not opposed to getting another good safety. Landry is an amazing player. However, I don't think Quin should move, though he becomes depth at CB. Wade runs a lot of 3 safety sets. Having Quin as the 3rd safety isn't a bad idea. I don't think he has the speed to play CB at a high level with the amount of man defense the Texans play.
Old 02-03-2012   #7
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I think they sign another corner before moving Quin once again.
Sponsored links
Old 02-03-2012   #8
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

not a new idea several people have posted this
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012   #9
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
2 things.

I totally disagree with the bolded, I think we have to go WR or NT in the first round.
Old 02-03-2012   #10
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 40560 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
I totally disagree with the bolded, I think we have to go WR or NT in the first round.
I said if we move quin that means we have to draft a safety in round one......never said I agreed with moving Quin.....

I think the defense as a whole stays pat, minus Mario.....maybe a few depth players moved around, but the starters will stay pat IMO, well maybe we get a new nt

I think wr and g are our biggest needs, with wr BY FAR taking the spotlight in round 1.....
Old 02-03-2012   #11
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd rather see Quin play quarterback. We don't know how Schaub will be next August and TJ Yates isn't mobile enough to run the ball. Quin could be our wildcat guy and play FS on defense. It's a win-win!
Old 02-03-2012   #12
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I'd rather see Quin play quarterback. We don't know how Schaub will be next August and TJ Yates isn't mobile enough to run the ball. Quin could be our wildcat guy and play FS on defense. It's a win-win!
I see your radical idea and would like to raise it to a "cowabunga dude!" by suggesting Quin also play receiver because he wears gloves.
Old 02-03-2012   #13
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
I see your radical idea and would like to raise it to a "cowabunga dude!" by suggesting Quin also play receiver because he wears gloves.
If we do that, we should also move Mario to TE where he'd be a beast. You can never have to many TEs.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012   #14
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 72571 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Did you forget the or do you really think Schaub is more mobile than Yates?
Old 02-03-2012   #15
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
What if he wore a glove on his left hand to help him catch, but didn't wear it on his right so he could throw the ball too? Hybrid WR/QB/FS/PR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
If we do that, we should also move Mario to TE where he'd be a beast. You can never have to many TEs.
That's a great idea too! Mario as a TE as well as an OLB would really make it easy to give him more than 8 million a year. I think the anti-mario crowd would be more inclined to re-sign him if he played both ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Did you forget the or do you really think Schaub is more mobile than Yates?
Well, since Matt got the Rascal, I don't think TJ can out run him. However, the NFL likely wont let Matt play with the scooter, so I guess TJ is more mobile. But Quin is faster than both of them, he's like a cheetah on a skateboard going down a halfpipe!
Old 02-03-2012   #16
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What if he wore a glove on his left hand to help him catch, but didn't wear it on his right so he could throw the ball too? Hybrid WR/QB/FS/PR!
Also, he could play barefoot so he can kick field goals old school style! Think of the money Bob McNair will save?! Just think of it! McNair will be raising the roof to the max!
Old 02-03-2012   #17
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

If they could get Landry for a short contract that doesn't break the bank, then I would be all for it. I'm not sure where that would leave Quin though. Would he become a backup safety or would the Texans move him back to CB? He wasn't awful as a CB and I think I may prefer him over Jason Allen as our 3rd corner.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012   #18
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 72571 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That's a great idea too! Mario as a TE as well as an OLB would really make it easy to give him more than 8 million a year. I think the anti-mario crowd would be more inclined to re-sign him if he played both ways.

Well, since Matt got the Rascal, I don't think TJ can out run him. However, the NFL likely wont let Matt play with the scooter, so I guess TJ is more mobile. But Quin is faster than both of them, he's like a cheetah on a skateboard going down a halfpipe!
WHAT? Put the crack pipe down, dude. You usually make at least SOME sense.
Old 02-03-2012   #19
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Have you not seen him on the sideline zooming around on this:

[IMG]v[/IMG]

He moves about twice as fast as he did before, probably runnin a 4.4 40 in that thing. If the NFL lets him use it when he comes back he will be the next Michael Vick, but with the arm of Dan Marino and the wheels of Abe Vigoda. He'll be an allstar!

Old 02-03-2012   #20
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Have you not seen him on the sideline zooming around on this:

He moves about twice as fast as he did before, probably runnin a 4.4 40 in that thing. If the NFL lets him use it when he comes back he will be the next Michael Vick, but with the arm of Dan Marino and the wheels of Abe Vigoda. He'll be an allstar!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read