Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-03-2012   #1
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Joe Marciano

Watched the AFC Wild Card game vs. The Bengals and noticed that Jacoby did that catch on the bounce and get hit return of his. We've all noticed that he's done that in the past. This brought me to looking at the coaching.

Our return game hasn't been so special. Much of it could be attributed to the new kickoff rules and our defense not really giving up alot of points but our punt return game hasn't been the best either and we usually see our gunners getting burned.

Then we look at our FG kicker and missed FGs. Our cover unit is okay but not spectacular.

Is it time to start looking for Joe's replacement? Remember what upgrading a coach on one of the 3 phases of the game did for us this past year.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012   #2
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 23300 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316
Default Re: Joe Marciano

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Watched the AFC Wild Card game vs. The Bengals and noticed that Jacoby did that catch on the bounce and get hit return of his. We've all noticed that he's done that in the past. This brought me to looking at the coaching.

Our return game hasn't been so special. Much of it could be attributed to the new kickoff rules and our defense not really giving up alot of points but our punt return game hasn't been the best either and we usually see our gunners getting burned.

Then we look at our FG kicker and missed FGs. Our cover unit is okay but not spectacular.

Is it time to start looking for Joe's replacement? Remember what upgrading a coach on one of the 3 phases of the game did for us this past year.

Outside of a luck KR return by the Ravens where 9 people missed tackles, who gets big returns vs. our ST? You can only tell a player so much before he takes it upon himself and does dumb ****.
Old 02-03-2012   #3
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Our coverage teams are excellent and Jacoby occasionally has big returns (although half of them get negated by a block in the back). Our special teams are just fine, and if you have to make a move, make it the returner,not the coach.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012   #4
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 23300 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
Our coverage teams are excellent and Jacoby occasionally has big returns (although half of them get negated by a block in the back). Our special teams are just fine, and if you have to make a move, make it the returner,not the coach.
Exactly.
Old 02-03-2012   #5
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree with that. Does anyone know where we've finished compared to the league in special teams categories. I just think that Marciano didn't emphasize ball security to a player who is habitually catching a ball on the bounce on a punt return with a player that close to him.
Old 02-03-2012   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree with that. Does anyone know where we've finished compared to the league in special teams categories. I just think that Marciano didn't emphasize ball security to a player who is habitually catching a ball on the bounce on a punt return with a player that close to him.
Marciano didn't drop those balls or make questionable decisions on the field. He lacked options, options that will be addressed this off season.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012   #7
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

When they changed the wedge rules the ST's suffered a significant dropoff.

Jacoby was coach Joes handpicked guy.

For that reason Coach Joes gotta go.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-03-2012   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Lots of players do that....

I had mentioned this before that Jacoby had done the exact same thing the past week and no one complained about it because he didn't muff the punt...

He muffed one all year and he picked a terrible point to do it.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012   #9
cbs1507
Veteran

Rep Power: 8662 cbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
When they changed the wedge rules the ST's suffered a significant dropoff.

Jacoby was coach Joes handpicked guy.

For that reason Coach Joes gotta go.
I don't see your line of reasoning. Jacoby Jones was 3rd in punt retrun yards. He had 0 fumbles up until Baltimore and he had not fumbled in 44 consecutive games prior going back to early 2009 season. Like someone said earlier, nobody gets many return yards against us in ST's. So that does not seem like reasonable grounds to cut Marciano. Especially when all this was accomplished because "When they changed the wedge rules the ST's suffered a significant dropoff."
cbs1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012   #10
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbs1507 View Post
I don't see your line of reasoning. Jacoby Jones was 3rd in punt retrun yards. Had 0 fumbles until Baltimore and he had not fumbled in 44 consecutive games prior going back to early 2009 season. That does not seem like reasonable grounds to cut Marciano. Especially when all this was accomplished "When they changed the wedge rules the ST's suffered a significant dropoff."
Go look at the season and see how many times we returned a kick to the 20 vs. other teams returning it on us. I doubt you will see us getting past the 20 very many times. Now to be fair Daniel Manning did well when he had his chances.

I'm not saying I want the dude gone. I was simply asking if it is time to look around for an upgrade there. I was asking for opinions instead of saying he's gotta go.
Old 02-03-2012   #11
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't see your line of reasoning. Jacoby Jones was 3rd in punt retrun yards. Had 0 fumbles (until Baltimore) and had not fumbled in 44 consecutive games going back to early 2009 season. That does not seem like reasonable grounds to cut Marciano. Especially when all this was accomplish "When they changed the wedge rules the ST's suffered a significant dropoff."
You're talking fumbles lost. I'm talking fumbles.

Are you saying the Texans are better on ST's since the 3/4 man wedge was outlawed by King Rodger.

The Texans are middle of the pack on ST's and that's not good enough to win a SB. IMHO

This doesn't even take into account the 2009 K.Brown fiasco/ Jacksonville fake punt fiasco under coach Joes tuteledge. (SP?)
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012   #12
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Joe ain't going anywhere.

Keep in mind as starters get injured, "his" special teams guy get pushed up the depth chart and many a time he has to use other players.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012   #13
cbs1507
Veteran

Rep Power: 8662 cbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Go look at the season and see how many times we returned a kick to the 20 vs. other teams returning it on us. I doubt you will see us getting past the 20 very many times. Now to be fair Daniel Manning did well when he had his chances.

I'm not saying I want the dude gone. I was simply asking if it is time to look around for an upgrade there. I was asking for opinions instead of saying he's gotta go.
How about we go to the numbers instead of speaking out of our asses sir...

Texans Kick Returns 7th (25.2)
Opponents Kick Returns 7th (22.4)

I still do not believe you provided sufficient claims for firing the guy. He's been here since day 1, so he must be doing something right.
Old 02-03-2012   #14
cbs1507
Veteran

Quote:
You're talking fumbles lost. I'm talking fumbles.

Are you saying the Texans are better on ST's since the 3/4 man wedge was outlawed by King Rodger.

The Texans are middle of the pack on ST's and that's not good enough to win a SB. IMHO

This doesn't even take into account the 2009 K.Brown fiasco/ Jacksonville fake punt fiasco under coach Joes tuteledge. (SP?)
No I am talking about fumbles AKA putting the ball on the ground. He hasn't put the ball on the gorund this season prior to Baltimore and he hasn't done it since 2009 for 44 consecutive games. If we're talking "fumbles lost" then he only lost 3 fumbles out of 9 in his entire 5 year career. So please stop speaking out of your ass because you hate the guy. I actually look up stats before I post.

No I am not saying we are better on ST. The wedge made it harder. I was just pointing out that we still were 3rd in punt return yards despite the rule change.

As for middle of the pack ST. I say NO and YES. We are better in Kick Return than Punt Return. KR we are 7th in YPG and 7th against our opponents. PR we are 15th in YPG and 15th against opponents.

Last edited by cbs1507; 02-03-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-03-2012   #15
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

......and we've officially hit the offseason
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012   #16
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240894 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

The final 8 weeks of the season had 8 kicks called back due to block in the back penalties. That's to say nothing of the random holding calls or such that happen. EIGHT in EIGHT weeks. That's a trend.
Old 02-03-2012   #17
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
ummm... isn't that reflective of suspect coaching?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012   #18
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 48076 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...Are you saying the Texans are better on ST's since the 3/4 man wedge was outlawed by King Rodger.

The Texans are middle of the pack on ST's and that's not good enough to win a SB. IMHO...
We are better in returns than both teams in the SB.

Quote:
How about we go to the numbers instead of speaking out of our asses sir...

Texans Kick Returns 7th (25.2)
Opponents Kick Returns 7th (22.4)

I still do not believe you provided sufficient claims for firing the guy. He's been here since day 1, so he must be doing something right.
We have improved this year in most categories.

NFL Ranking Regular Season Comparison

Code:
         2010 -> 2011     Pats    Giants
Kicking  26th ->  7th      6th     11th
Punting  26th -> 20th     10th     13th
FG/PAT    5th -> 15th     12th     23rd
Returns  27th ->  7th     29th     21st
Old 02-03-2012   #19
cbs1507
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
ummm... isn't that reflective of suspect coaching?
Maybe...

...but I don't think a coach tells players to block in the back or to commit a penalty. I'm almost certain they would always say the opposite.

Of course, usually when you tell someone (especially young person like ST's players are) not to do something they usually do it anyways. i.E. Jacoby Jones fielding punts this season off the bounce, eventually caught up with him. You have to keep in mind that ST's is composed up of the best players, just some exceptional athletes that aren't good enough to get into the rotation. Most of these guys just want to make that "big block" or "big play" to get in good graces with coaches and hopefully get some playing time.
Old 02-03-2012   #20
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Maybe...

...but I don't think a coach tells players to block in the back. Usually when you tell someone (especially young person like ST's players are) not to do something they usually do it anyways. i.E. Jacoby Jones fielding punts this season off the bounce, eventually caught up with him. You have to keep in mind that ST's is composed up of the best players, just some exceptional athletes that aren't good enough to get into the rotation.
Of course the coaches don't tell the players to do that dumb stuff...
Perhaps if there were serious repercussions when that stuff happens.

...fines?
...extra push-ups?
...withholding of sprinkles? (okay, let's not get TOO crazy )

....man, it's gonna be a looooonng off-season.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read