Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-11-2012   #141
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107813 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Re-structuring Contracts to free up $$$

A couple of interesting articles relating to the cap, restructuring, and how things work.

Salary cap becomes a factor once again
Taking a peek at the 2012 NFL salary cap...

The first article is just kind of general, but gave a few insights and thoughts that some might find interesting.

The second article lists the salary cap by team. I have no idea if it's correct, kind of close, or not even in the right zip code - and that's the point. It's considerably different than the idea that we have approx. $25 Million in cap room going into the off season. Maybe it's wrong, and maybe the $25 Million is wrong (more likely they both are). I'm just saying I haven't seen anything that's both concrete and credible in my mind saying where the Texans are on the whole, and until then, I'm making no assumptions either optimistic or pessimistic.
Old 02-11-2012   #142
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
As I said above we no longer have 2012 free agents against our cap. Don't panic.
That doesn't bother me nearly as much as how much money the other teams have to throw around.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012   #143
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107813 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
That doesn't bother me nearly as much as how much money the other teams have to throw around.
Well, maybe since the 89% team minimum doesn't kick in until the 2013 league season, we can hope those teams take advantage of their last chance to be so cheap.
Old 02-11-2012   #144
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
understood & there are those trying to cash in on buck being offered by thise teams. Still,I think many players will want to play for Houston.
Old 02-11-2012   #145
cbs1507
Veteran

Rep Power: 8663 cbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
A couple of interesting articles relating to the cap, restructuring, and how things work.

Taking a peek at the 2012 NFL salary cap...

The first article is just kind of general, but gave a few insights and thoughts that some might find interesting.

The second article lists the salary cap by team. I have no idea if it's correct, kind of close, or not even in the right zip code - and that's the point. It's considerably different than the idea that we have approx. $25 Million in cap room going into the off season. Maybe it's wrong, and maybe the $25 Million is wrong (more likely they both are). I'm just saying I haven't seen anything that's both concrete and credible in my mind saying where the Texans are on the whole, and until then, I'm making no assumptions either optimistic or pessimistic.
I don't think either is wrong necessarily...

If you think about it I think you can develop some optimism. It says that we stand at about $116 million against the cap (Jason La Canfora reported us at about $118 million). So there is not too much variation there. We know the cap was $120.375 million in 2011, so it will be AT LEAST $120.375 million in 2012. So let's say the cap will be $120.375 million. Logically the $116 they reported had to include EVERYBODY, because free agency doesn't start until March 13th. So I'm guessing we will have more cap space when the FAs come off the books. I believe we have 17 FAs.Which could be around $25 million in free cap space considering that Mario Williams' salary for 2011 was around $15-$19 million.
cbs1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012   #146
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Some teams that may want him would be the Redskins and Seahawks (they tried to sign him last year).
I think because of his history, these may be our only suitors. If Kubiak feels strong about Matt (which I think he does), I think Shanahan will be favorable to the idea.

Carol has history with Leinart & their success together may help us work out a deal.

I like Tavaris Jackson, But I think Leinart can walk into Seattle (or Washington) expecting to be the starter, even if either team draft their QB or the future. At least he'll have time to "earn" a spot on another team, ala Drew Brees....... not saying Leinart is the next Brees. That's completely up to him.
Old 02-11-2012   #147
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think because of his history, these may be our only suitors. If Kubiak feels strong about Matt (which I think he does), I think Shanahan will be favorable to the idea.

Carol has history with Leinart & their success together may help us work out a deal.

I like Tavaris Jackson, But I think Leinart can walk into Seattle (or Washington) expecting to be the starter, even if either team draft their QB or the future. At least he'll have time to "earn" a spot on another team, ala Drew Brees....... not saying Leinart is the next Brees. That's completely up to him.
A lot of those teams interest in Lienart will also depend on day 1 and 2 of the draft. If either pick Tannehill or RG3, I don't think they will be interested in Lienart. However, if one of them does not get a QB by the end of the 2nd, I think they may be interested in getting him as a stopgap for a season.
Old 02-11-2012   #148
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Wow, the Raiders dumped Route..... whoever picks him up is going to get a good deal. Sure he struggled with all the man coverage he was asked to play, But he looks like he's got all the tools & appears to have a good understanding of the game.

May not have been worth the money they paid him..... but that's another story. Don't see how losing him & dealing with over $7M in dead money (according to that article) makes the Raiders a better team.

Quote:
I'm just saying I haven't seen anything that's both concrete and credible in my mind saying where the Texans are on the whole, and until then, I'm making no assumptions either optimistic or pessimistic.
Absolutely. We have yet to get credible evidence of our situation.
Old 02-11-2012   #149
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
True, imagine if the Tits dump Iniggan for Routt.....
Old 02-11-2012   #150
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbs1507 View Post
Logically the $116 they reported had to include EVERYBODY, because free agency doesn't start until March 13th. So I'm guessing we will have more cap space when the FAs come off the books.
you don't think maybe that $116M number is our without the FAs? Until we here different, that's what I'm going with. Before signing even our own FAs, we are $116M.

However, we were at or over $120M before we signed Jjo, Manning, & our draft picks, but we managed to sign them all & still be $5M under.

Now, if we are at $116 on March 13th, which is what I'm thinking they are saying, then we've got to sign Mario for a $4M 2012 cap number, which isn't going to happen...... so we should see other players cut or restructured in the next few weeks.

March 13th is only 5 weeks away.
Old 02-11-2012   #151
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 70559 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think either is wrong necessarily...

If you think about it I think you can develop some optimism. It says that we stand at about $116 million against the cap (Jason La Canfora reported us at about $118 million). So there is not too much variation there. We know the cap was $120.375 million in 2011, so it will be AT LEAST $120.375 million in 2012. So let's say the cap will be $120.375 million. Logically the $116 they reported had to include EVERYBODY, because free agency doesn't start until March 13th. So I'm guessing we will have more cap space when the FAs come off the books. I believe we have 17 FAs.Which could be around $25 million in free cap space considering that Mario Williams' salary for 2011 was around $15-$19 million.

Realize, also, that most existing salaries will escalate. And, the new Chris Myers deal will almost certainly be more costly than the previous one.

More to the point, though, is our plan for 2013. Are the Texans going to allow Duane Brown, Connor Barwin, Arian Foster, Matt Schaub, and others to get to next season and be scheduled UFAs? I'm sure the Texans are going to lock at least 2 of those guys up... and that will take some cap room.
Old 02-11-2012   #152
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
A lot of those teams interest in Lienart will also depend on day 1 and 2 of the draft. If either pick Tannehill or RG3, I don't think they will be interested in Lienart. However, if one of them does not get a QB by the end of the 2nd, I think they may be interested in getting him as a stopgap for a season.
If I'm Washington or Seattle, I'm thinking Leinart is a stop gap from the beginning. I'm also thinking RGIII may be the future, but I want to be smart about putting him on the field.

I don't want to throw him out there because of necessity, if I can get 6 to 10 weeks of Leinart, then that's really all I want. a 5th/6th round pick for a QB that gives us a chance to win over the first 6 weeks or so.

That gives me 6 weeks or more to understand what RGIII can & can't do. Allows me to work out the tweaks we'll need to help him be successful. If Leinart has me in play-off contention after 6 weeks...... 4-2 or better.. then RGIII continues to study & prove to me he has what it takes to be successful at this level.

Even at week 10, if we've got 8 wins (playing the Cowboys twice, it's possible for the 'skins) I'm riding Leinart.

Come the end of the season, if Leinart was a big part of that success (after a play-off run), then I'm sitting on RGIII another season. If, however, I think RGIII can contribute more than Leinart, then I parlay that 5th/6th round pick into a 3rd, maybe a 4th.

This GM stuff is easy, where do I pick up an application?
Old 02-11-2012   #153
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
you don't think maybe that $116M number is our without the FAs? Until we here different, that's what I'm going with. Before signing even our own FAs, we are $116M.

However, we were at or over $120M before we signed Jjo, Manning, & our draft picks, but we managed to sign them all & still be $5M under.

Now, if we are at $116 on March 13th, which is what I'm thinking they are saying, then we've got to sign Mario for a $4M 2012 cap number, which isn't going to happen...... so we should see other players cut or restructured in the next few weeks.

Didn't the Texans adjust some contracts to sign Manning & Joseph? To me that indicates they were not over cap then by much.
Old 02-11-2012   #154
cbs1507
Veteran

Rep Power: 8663 cbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

This is the last time I am going to post this...

According to the CBA Article 11 (entitled Transition Rules for the 2011 League Season) Section 5(a) it says

Quote:
"Top 51 Rule. The Top 51 Rule applies beginning at 4:00pm on August 5, 2011. All Clubs must be within the Salary Cap at that time."
http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/...-2011-2020.pdf

There is no possible way that 17 FA's will leave us with that little amount of space. Especially if Mario Williams made around $15-$19 million. That would suggest that we were OVER the cap, when in fact the CBA says ALL TEAMS must be under.

Furthermore, the CBA outlines sanctions to be imposed if a team violates the salary cap rules in Article 14 Section 6. So if we were over you have to have proof that the NFL imposed sanctions on the Texans for the 2011 season for violating the salary cap. I have yet to see anything indicating this.

Let's be logical. If we are around $116 million right now WITHOUT our FAs on the books, then how are we going to sign ANYBODY let alone Mario Williams? That's essentially saying we have $4 million cap space to sign Foster, Myers and Brisiel (so you can forget about Mario). Come on man. They all going to walk if that's the case. Foster will likely command around $9-$10 million. No way we giving Myers or Brisiel a pay raise like some people on here suggest if that was true.

So I think it is very reasonable to believe that we will have a decent amount of cap space to work with come March 13th.
cbs1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012   #155
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
whoa, pull up CB, I respect you & everything, but I dont know what the salary situation is of the remaining players on our roster is. Is it possible that the remaining 36 players slary equals $116M

Yeah, that sounds silly doesn't it.
Old 02-11-2012   #156
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:

According to the CBA Article 11 (entitled Transition Rules for the 2011 League Season) Section 5(a) it says

http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/...-2011-2020.pdf

There is no possible way that 17 FA's will leave us with that little amount of space. Especially if Mario Williams made around $15-$19 million. That would suggest that we were OVER the cap, when in fact the CBA says ALL TEAMS must be under.

Furthermore, the CBA outlines sanctions to be imposed if a team violates the salary cap rules in Article 14 Section 6. So if we were over you have to have proof that the NFL imposed sanctions on the Texans for the 2011 season for violating the salary cap. I have yet to see anything indicating this.

Let's be logical. If we are around $116 million right now WITHOUT our FAs on the books, then how are we going to sign ANYBODY let alone Mario Williams? That's essentially saying we have $4 million cap space to sign Foster, Myers and Brisiel (so you can forget about Mario). Come on man. They all going to walk if that's the case. Foster will likely command around $9-$10 million. No way we giving Myers or Brisiel a pay raise like some people on here suggest if that was true.

So I think it is very reasonable to believe that we will have a decent amount of cap space to work with come March 13th.
ANd this has been my question as Allegedly Bob McNair owner told John McClain of Houston Chronicle that teams was over the cap significantly 2011. McClain has said in paper and on radio that $20m was the amount.
Old 02-11-2012   #157
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If I'm Washington or Seattle, I'm thinking Leinart is a stop gap from the beginning. I'm also thinking RGIII may be the future, but I want to be smart about putting him on the field.

I don't want to throw him out there because of necessity, if I can get 6 to 10 weeks of Leinart, then that's really all I want. a 5th/6th round pick for a QB that gives us a chance to win over the first 6 weeks or so.

That gives me 6 weeks or more to understand what RGIII can & can't do. Allows me to work out the tweaks we'll need to help him be successful. If Leinart has me in play-off contention after 6 weeks...... 4-2 or better.. then RGIII continues to study & prove to me he has what it takes to be successful at this level.

Even at week 10, if we've got 8 wins (playing the Cowboys twice, it's possible for the 'skins) I'm riding Leinart.

Come the end of the season, if Leinart was a big part of that success (after a play-off run), then I'm sitting on RGIII another season. If, however, I think RGIII can contribute more than Leinart, then I parlay that 5th/6th round pick into a 3rd, maybe a 4th.

This GM stuff is easy, where do I pick up an application?
Well they both have QBs that can fulfill that role already, Jackson and Beck. Grossman and Whitehurst are both UFAs this offseason, so they may be willing to trade for Lienart. Adding a QB of the future is what they both need to do, and for some reason the Seahawks thought Lienart could help them last year. So if someone wants him, I'd be willing to ship him off and save a couple million in capspace.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read