Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-09-2012   #121
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Re-structuring Contracts to free up $$$

My statement was that MW's cap hit for last season was $17.6m and yes thats from a source close to the Texans , and a slightly conservative number considering that the reports are that to franchise MW the cap hold could be as high as $23.9m.

If the cap hold is that $23.9 number - that means his salary for last season had to be in the neighborhood of $19.9m - (19.9x1.2=22.88)

I never "Heard McNair" make any statements about MW's cap figures ..... but if the 23.9 number is correct they cant tag him , hell they cant tag him even at the 17.6 number of 21.12.

Thing is , He's not going to cost that , or near that 17.6 or 19.9 (take your pick of figures) in the coming season.

Even if he gets a deal averaging $10m per season , and I think that number is more than fair , there is somewhere between 7.6m and 9.9m in cap savings leaving them room to take care of other positions.

What it boils down to is how much will team X offer ..... How much guaranteed and how many years.

I think GM's will take note of this crazy high figure going forward amd rather than backload the final year - backload the next to last year so as not to hamstring themselves with a similar situation.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012   #122
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Mark Anderson? We have free agency in front of us. If Mark Anderson would make you feel better about losing Mario, then I wouldn't worry about the options that will be available. There will be plenty of talent in the market at/or above Mark Anderson's talent level.
Still, doesn't make any sense. We're going to release the best pass rusher in this FA class & pick up the third(?) maybe sixth(?) best pass rusher?

My point about Anderson, was if he was here, we'd already know how he would work out. If he looked like Nading or Brahman, then pass rusher would still be a need. If he looked like Barwin..... then it wouldn't.

Barwin, Reed, +Anderson looking good in our system I'm ok with.

Barwin, Reed +Anderson looking like Nading, not so much.

I want Mario to stay, because I feel good about him producing in the near future. I want to focus this years FA acquisitions & draft on the offensive side of the ball. In my mind, no Mario means outside pass rusher is priority #1. You fill that priority, like we have in the past with at least two picks. 2006 - Mario & Demeco (Anthony Weaver), 2009 - Cushing & Barwin (Antonio Smith), 2011 - Jj Watt & Brooks Reed.

2012 - 1st & maybe a 3rd or 4th.... I want those two picks to go on the offensive side of the ball.
Old 02-10-2012   #123
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

The Steelers have freed up 18 million in cap space since the season ended. I'm not sure we can re-structure enough to free that much space, but I'm sure we'll be doing work soon. At least I hope

Quote:
Per Football Outsiders' Brian McIntyre, the Steelers have freed up over $18 million in cap space since the season ended.
The moves have included cutting CB Bryant McFadden and WR Arnaz Battle, and redoing the contracts of CB Ike Taylor, and LBs Lawrence Timmons and LaMarr Woodley. As of late January, the Steelers were a projected $25M over the cap, so more transactions are coming. They may include releasing WR Hines Ward, NT Casey Hampton, and LG Chris Kemoeatu. The Steelers want to give Mike Wallace a long-term deal rather than try to retain him with a restricted tender.
http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football
Old 02-10-2012   #124
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

They just signed Ike Taylor so that pretty much means that just about everyone should be fair game to having their contract re-done as long as it saves the team money and they are willing to do so.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012   #125
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 65936 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
They just signed Ike Taylor so that pretty much means that just about everyone should be fair game to having their contract re-done as long as it saves the team money and they are willing to do so.
Unless an extension is mutually agreeable, the longer the term left on the contract, the easier it is to restructure. Two of the contracts the Texans restructured last off season in order to be able to do the Joseph and Manning deals were Demeco's and AJ's. Demeco's contract was only a year old, and if AJ's most recent deal was older than that, it wasn't by much.

While I certainly can't say this as a fact, the way that the Timmons contract was restructured (converting a 2nd year roster bonus and some of the year 2 salary to a "signing bonus"), I would guess that it was originally structured specifically to make it easy to restructure if circumstances warranted.

I would imagine if the Texans do find themselves looking to free up cap room this offseason, those two contracts (Joseph and Manning) would be high on the list of restructure candidates.
Old 02-10-2012   #126
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
There has been a link provided in at least one of these threads that included that quote out of an article by David Dalati for Fox Sports. Dalati quotes McNair as saying Mario's franchise tag number for next season would be $23 Million, and that it was not an option.

LINK
This is article I read but find it interesting that Bob's comments are in quotes but not the sentence that Mario's cap was $23m; maybe I'm reading what is not there but here is the article:

It is yet to be determined if the Texans will be able to sign their primary free agents, including Williams and extend Foster because the NFL's salary cap is not expected to rise much above the current $120 million. But the Texans may ask players to re-structure deals to make room under the cap. In Williams' case, it's unclear what his market value will be once free agency begins in March.

"It's just a question of where teams stand and how much room they have, I guess," said McNair.

McNair also said that franchising Williams is out of the question since his tag number would be nearly $23 million for 2012.

"We've been spending at the cap and, in some cases, over," McNair said about the club's flexibility to sign free agents. "We have limitations there as to what we might be able to do. We're going to use our money to keep our core players that are the foundation of the team."

Also note the last paragraph does not identify Mario contract as one that was over.
Old 02-10-2012   #127
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
My statement was that MW's cap hit for last season was $17.6m and yes thats from a source close to the Texans , and a slightly conservative number considering that the reports are that to franchise MW the cap hold could be as high as $23.9m.

If the cap hold is that $23.9 number - that means his salary for last season had to be in the neighborhood of $19.9m - (19.9x1.2=22.88)

I never "Heard McNair" make any statements about MW's cap figures ..... but if the 23.9 number is correct they cant tag him , hell they cant tag him even at the 17.6 number of 21.12.

Thing is , He's not going to cost that , or near that 17.6 or 19.9 (take your pick of figures) in the coming season.

Even if he gets a deal averaging $10m per season , and I think that number is more than fair , there is somewhere between 7.6m and 9.9m in cap savings leaving them room to take care of other positions.

What it boils down to is how much will team X offer ..... How much guaranteed and how many years.

I think GM's will take note of this crazy high figure going forward amd rather than backload the final year - backload the next to last year so as not to hamstring themselves with a similar situation.
I am hoping his cap was the higher number because if we sign him as you said, we should have quite a bit left over. If McNair did agree for Texans to be over the 2011 cap why would he not agree to do so agains especially as we did so well with less? Now is the time to make some bold radical moves.
Old 02-10-2012   #128
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 187579 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

I heard something very disturbing on 790 am on the way home today. It seems that the new agreement allows every team to "roll over" any unused 2011 cap room into 2012. They pointed out that Cincy was something like $30 mil under the cap in '11. So that plus their projected 2012 cap room of 18-20 mil means they have nearly 50 mil in cap space to play with this coming F/A season. The Jags are in the same situation with $45 - 50 mil in 2011 cap rollover bucks plus projected 2012 cap room. The Patriots have like $30mil in rollover/new cap money.

The Texans, they said, were only 4-5 mil under the 2011 cap and then they had to burn some of that when they signed Delhomme and Garcia.

All that to say, there may be lots of suitors for MW, AF, and our other F/As

ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012   #129
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
The Steelers have freed up 18 million in cap space since the season ended. I'm not sure we can re-structure enough to free that much space, but I'm sure we'll be doing work soon. At least I hope

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football
I think we are apprx $25 million under cap as of today. We must sign our fee agents such as Foster, Myers, Williams, Dreesen, etc.
Old 02-10-2012   #130
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I heard something very disturbing on 790 am on the way home today. It seems that the new agreement allows every team to "roll over" any unused 2011 cap room into 2012. They pointed out that Cincy was something like $30 mil under the cap in '11. So that plus their projected 2012 cap room of 18-20 mil means they have nearly 50 mil in cap space to play with this coming F/A season. The Jags are in the same situation with $45 - 50 mil in 2011 cap rollover bucks plus projected 2012 cap room. The Patriots have like $30mil in rollover/new cap money.

The Texans, they said, were only 4-5 mil under the 2011 cap and then they had to burn some of that when they signed Delhomme and Garcia.

All that to say, there may be lots of suitors for MW, AF, and our other F/As

As I said above we no longer have 2012 free agents against our cap. Don't panic.
Old 02-10-2012   #131
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I think we are apprx $25 million under cap as of today. We must sign our fee agents such as Foster, Myers, Williams, Dreesen, etc.
Going by 2011 salaries,
  1. knowing we were at the cap at the end of the season
  2. Dropping Garcia & Delhomme ($5M)
  3. Dropping Mario's salary (about $16M)
  4. We have several free agents

It would make sense we would be around $25M under.

But, I don't know how Schaub, Andre, Jjo, Anotnio, Manning, & others cap numbers look for 2012. I doubt they would cover the $20M or so we think we have.
Old 02-10-2012   #132
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Going by 2011 salaries,
  1. knowing we were at the cap at the end of the season
  2. Dropping Garcia & Delhomme ($5M)
  3. Dropping Mario's salary (about $16M)
  4. We have several free agents

It would make sense we would be around $25M under.

But, I don't know how Schaub, Andre, Jjo, Anotnio, Manning, & others cap numbers look for 2012. I doubt they would cover the $20M or so we think we have.
THis is confusing as my understanding is the 2012 cap will not rise much yet the roster players salaries will go up. Guess it was only way owners could attempt to control things.
Old 02-10-2012   #133
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
THis is confusing as my understanding is the 2012 cap will not rise much yet the roster players salaries will go up. Guess it was only way owners could attempt to control things.
Not all of them will go up, I don't know what Schaub's 2012 number will be compared to his 2011 number. May be more, may be less. Same for all the other players.
Old 02-10-2012   #134
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

The texans can also cut some guys to free up money. Walters(3.5m), cody(3m),Lienhart(3m) should be released. Myers and briesel don't have a market outside texans or maybe redskins.Dressen will be lowballed because daniels is making 6m and the better player.
Old 02-10-2012   #135
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39273 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not all of them will go up, I don't know what Schaub's 2012 number will be compared to his 2011 number. May be more, may be less. Same for all the other players.
According to rotoworld (don't know how accurate) Schaub made 5.7 Million in 2011 and will make 7.15 Million next year.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012   #136
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
The texans can also cut some guys to free up money. Walters(3.5m), cody(3m),Lienhart(3m) should be released. Myers and briesel don't have a market outside texans or maybe redskins.Dressen will be lowballed because daniels is making 6m and the better player.
Cody is a bargin at NT for $3.5m with his production , not to mention he's been the most consistent DL on the team for the past two seasons. He isnt and shouldnt be cut.

Walter (No s) probably wont be cut , tho you might see a restructure of his deal (two seasons left). If a WR gets cut its J.Jones.

Leinart could (and should) be a goner pending Schaub's health considering they have Yates and can get a 3rd QB much cheaper late in the draft or as a UDFA.

Old 02-11-2012   #137
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Leinart could (and should) be a goner pending Schaub's health considering they have Yates and can get a 3rd QB much cheaper late in the draft or as a UDFA.
I wonder what Leinart would be worth to the Redskins. A fifth?
Old 02-11-2012   #138
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
According to rotoworld (don't know how accurate) Schaub made 5.7 Million in 2011 and will make 7.15 Million next year.
I'm pretty sure Schaub had a signing bonus of 1.2 mill a year. Something like that, so his cap is a bit higher.
Old 02-11-2012   #139
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Man I dont know .... Might be able to squeeze something out of them .... might not.

What other teams are QB starved ?

Old 02-11-2012   #140
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Man I dont know .... Might be able to squeeze something out of them .... might not.

What other teams are QB starved ?
Quote:
I like the idea of trading Lienart as well, but his shoulder injury in his first start really hurts his trade value. I think if you ship him anywhere it will be for a 5-7th pick, or a combo of him + a 6/7th for a 4th or 5th. He's had issues with that shoulder before, so other teams likely know to be cautious. Some teams that may want him would be the Redskins and Seahawks (they tried to sign him last year).

Even if just one of those teams wanted him, I would love to give up Lienart and our 6th for their 4th round pick. They help us out by relieving some cap room and we get to move up two rounds there. They still have the same number of picks to continue rebuilding their team, and we get to move up and possibly grab another role player for our playoff run. Low risk for them, and improving our depth. Win-win IMO.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read