Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012   #81
thunderkyss 
& so it begins
 
thunderkyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Texas
Age: 42
Posts: 33,338
Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Re-structuring Contracts to free up $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
By the way, adding an 'S' at the end of a receiver's name who has been here for over five years, isn't simply a misspelling, it indicates he doesn't know his name. Does he think the 'S' is silent?
I think it may point to another issue that we all have mentioned. A #2 WR. It may be difficult to look around our last few games, but...... perhaps a true #2 is not "exactly" what we need.

We seem to run an Andre, Owen, Arian, then anybody else who happens to be on the field offense. With this in mind, would a second receiver actually receive more targets than KDub (who catches almost everything that goes his way) or Jacoby (who doesn't).

We need an heir apparent to Andre. Someone who can take his place when he's out with an injury (if that were to happen) or sit back & maintain the peace when the ball isn't being thrown his way.

I agree, Jacoby is not that guy. He's a #3 WR & that production can be replaced with an UDFA or low round draft pick...... same goes for KDub. If Jacoby can consistently catch balls ( I think I saw a site where he was 42% for the year... ) avg ypc is way up there, total yards for the year is equal with KDub, but he was targeted so many more times.... he should have had 7 or 800 yards receiving this year.
__________________
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012   #82
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame
 
dalemurphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Austin
Section: Bullpen/ 636
Age: 40
Posts: 5,703
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Re-structuring Contracts to free up $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think it may point to another issue that we all have mentioned. A #2 WR. It may be difficult to look around our last few games, but...... perhaps a true #2 is not "exactly" what we need.

We seem to run an Andre, Owen, Arian, then anybody else who happens to be on the field offense. With this in mind, would a second receiver actually receive more targets than KDub (who catches almost everything that goes his way) or Jacoby (who doesn't).

We need an heir apparent to Andre. Someone who can take his place when he's out with an injury (if that were to happen) or sit back & maintain the peace when the ball isn't being thrown his way.

I agree, Jacoby is not that guy. He's a #3 WR & that production can be replaced with an UDFA or low round draft pick...... same goes for KDub. If Jacoby can consistently catch balls ( I think I saw a site where he was 42% for the year... ) avg ypc is way up there, total yards for the year is equal with KDub, but he was targeted so many more times.... he should have had 7 or 800 yards receiving this year.

You have done a better job of selling Robert Meachem than I have. He's a number 3 that won't demand the ball but will be able to stretch the field and make big plays, particularly when AJ is out. And, he fits our system well... he's a good blocker.

Oh, and he won't break the bank.
__________________
obsessive, passionate coverage of our beloved Texans at : Texans Bull Blog
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012   #83
ObsiWan
Contributor
 
ObsiWan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: League City, Tx
Age: 62
Posts: 12,633
Rep Power: 165286 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Re-structuring Contracts to free up $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think it may point to another issue that we all have mentioned. A #2 WR. It may be difficult to look around our last few games, but...... perhaps a true #2 is not "exactly" what we need.

We seem to run an Andre, Owen, Arian, then anybody else who happens to be on the field offense. With this in mind, would a second receiver actually receive more targets than KDub (who catches almost everything that goes his way) or Jacoby (who doesn't).

We need an heir apparent to Andre. Someone who can take his place when he's out with an injury (if that were to happen) or sit back & maintain the peace when the ball isn't being thrown his way.

I agree, Jacoby is not that guy. He's a #3 WR & that production can be replaced with an UDFA or low round draft pick...... same goes for KDub. If Jacoby can consistently catch balls ( I think I saw a site where he was 42% for the year... ) avg ypc is way up there, total yards for the year is equal with KDub, but he was targeted so many more times.... he should have had 7 or 800 yards receiving this year.
Well, you've made a great case for replacing Jacoby - as if folks needed help for that.

And I agree with you completely about needing an heir apparent to A.J. I remember how the Colts' go-to guy was Marvin Harrison and they drafted Jerome Pathon and then Reggie Wayne (and even Qadry Israel) to take coverage away from Harrison. Reggie was around Marvin long enough to grow into the #1 WR role when Harrison was cut loose by the Colts.

We don't have anyone who can grow into the #1 WR role should A.J. leave at the end of his contract. This has to be the year we get that guy.

I'm for getting that guy in the draft. But I'm not against getting him in F/A.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012   #84
thunderkyss 
& so it begins
 
thunderkyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Texas
Age: 42
Posts: 33,338
Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Re-structuring Contracts to free up $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
You have done a better job of selling Robert Meachem than I have. He's a number 3 that won't demand the ball but will be able to stretch the field and make big plays, particularly when AJ is out. And, he fits our system well... he's a good blocker.

Oh, and he won't break the bank.
I have been against Robert Meachem becoming a Texans. I think he would be a better #3, but I see no reason to spend vet minimum for a #3. I personally do not believe he will replace Andre when he is out... I have no faith in Meachum. I believe we'll be as disappointed as the Saints fans are with him.

I wouldn't call him a bust, but again, see no reason to pay him vet minimum..... I see no reason to pay Jacoby $3M (if that is what his salary is supposed to be in 2012, which I think it is). If Jacoby's salary is close to vet minimum (3 years vet minimum plus his signing bonus should get you $3M guaranteed) then I don't care to trade Jj for Meachum.

Jacoby/Meachum is a wash if you ask me.

We can go with a late first or 2nd round pick at WR & get the same production. That person should be a #1WR project... Lets get some late round WRs or UDFAs that can get on the field (I'm looking at you LeStar...... Maehl) for our 3rd & 4th options.

I understand we have to have some experience.... so we have to keep KDub or Jj..... not both.
__________________
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012   #85
thunderkyss 
& so it begins
 
thunderkyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Texas
Age: 42
Posts: 33,338
Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Re-structuring Contracts to free up $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Well, you've made a great case for replacing Jacoby - as if folks needed help for that.
Didn't mean for it to come out that way. I personally don't think cutting Jacoby is the right answer. I'd much rather cut KDub. But we don't have a QB who can get the ball out in front of Jacoby anyway, so we might as well let him go & rely on the sure hands of KDub (a slow receiver who will be 32 before the 2012 season starts).

We need a #3 WR, Jj is a 3WR...

We need 5 receivers on the active roster. Aj (duh), WR2, KDub/Jj, Project, project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
And I agree with you completely about needing an heir apparent to A.J. I remember how the Colts' go-to guy was Marvin Harrison and they drafted Jerome Pathon and then Reggie Wayne (and even Qadry Israel) to take coverage away from Harrison. Reggie was around Marvin long enough to grow into the #1 WR role when Harrison was cut loose by the Colts.
The Colts run a totally different offense than we do. They're more vertical & Peyton will get that ball out ahead of his WR. He doesn't underthrow them on purpose. Two 1000yrd receivers is completely possible in that offense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
We don't have anyone who can grow into the #1 WR role should A.J. leave at the end of his contract. This has to be the year we get that guy.

I'm for getting that guy in the draft. But I'm not against getting him in F/A.
I don't think that person is out there in FA & don't know enough about college players to know if he'll be in the draft @26 or lower.
__________________
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012   #86
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame
 
dalemurphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Austin
Section: Bullpen/ 636
Age: 40
Posts: 5,703
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Re-structuring Contracts to free up $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I have been against Robert Meachem becoming a Texans. I think he would be a better #3, but I see no reason to spend vet minimum for a #3. I personally do not believe he will replace Andre when he is out... I have no faith in Meachum. I believe we'll be as disappointed as the Saints fans are with him.

I wouldn't call him a bust, but again, see no reason to pay him vet minimum..... I see no reason to pay Jacoby $3M (if that is what his salary is supposed to be in 2012, which I think it is). If Jacoby's salary is close to vet minimum (3 years vet minimum plus his signing bonus should get you $3M guaranteed) then I don't care to trade Jj for Meachum.

Jacoby/Meachum is a wash if you ask me.

We can go with a late first or 2nd round pick at WR & get the same production. That person should be a #1WR project... Lets get some late round WRs or UDFAs that can get on the field (I'm looking at you LeStar...... Maehl) for our 3rd & 4th options.

I understand we have to have some experience.... so we have to keep KDub or Jj..... not both.
The only way AJ could ever be replaced (so to speak) while still an integral part of the team would be via the draft. I'm pushing Meachem as a major upgrade at #3 and a guy that can do "some" of what AJ does for the offense... Namely, making big plays and stretching the defense. I'm not opposed, at all, to drafting a wide receiver on Thursday or Friday, in addition to signing a free agent wide receiver. I am opposed to not signing a free agent wide receiver, though, unless we are determined to jump up high in the first round for a stud.

Based on any metric you would like, Jacoby and Meachem are not the same players. Meachem's catch % is higher, his yards per catch is much higher, and he has never had a season, despite being a backup, where he has not had a 50+ yard catch. He does make big plays. While not a great intermediate route runner, he's better at it than JJ.
__________________
obsessive, passionate coverage of our beloved Texans at : Texans Bull Blog
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012   #87
DocBar
Hall of Fame
 
DocBar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: I'm international
Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Age: 44
Posts: 8,843
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Re-structuring Contracts to free up $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
The only way AJ could ever be replaced (so to speak) while still an integral part of the team would be via the draft. I'm pushing Meachem as a major upgrade at #3 and a guy that can do "some" of what AJ does for the offense... Namely, making big plays and stretching the defense. I'm not opposed, at all, to drafting a wide receiver on Thursday or Friday, in addition to signing a free agent wide receiver. I am opposed to not signing a free agent wide receiver, though, unless we are determined to jump up high in the first round for a stud.

Based on any metric you would like, Jacoby and Meachem are not the same players. Meachem's catch % is higher, his yards per catch is much higher, and he has never had a season, despite being a backup, where he has not had a 50+ yard catch. He does make big plays. While not a great intermediate route runner, he's better at it than JJ.
If Meachem is available at the a good price, I say get him. He'd make a very good option at #3WR. That way we can hopefully draft a very good/potentially great WR and have AJ and KW teach him the ropes for a year or so.
__________________
“If you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality.” Halton Arp
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-05-2012   #88
Rey
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 14,475
Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Re-structuring Contracts to free up $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Let's put it this way.. If Mario Williams was NOT on this team and was NOT a Texan and played his entire career somewhere else. If he was a FA that was on the market and considering the year and level this defense/front 7 played at without him. Would people be screaming "We HAVE to spend most of our FA dollars on Mario Williams!"
Maybe.

There are several people that would entertain bringing Peyton in.

I think folks would want to bring in Mario if he had the same start to the season but for a different team.

Folks would say, "imagine what Wade could do with him"..."He's a physical freak that has the potential to be dominant"...

I think the conversation would be about the same, but of course he is more polarizing since he was already a Texan.

But I disagree that there wouldn't be a segment saying we should bring him in...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #89
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame
 
Carr Bombed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wherever the US govt. sends me
Posts: 13,652
Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Re-structuring Contracts to free up $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Maybe.

There are several people that would entertain bringing Peyton in.

I think folks would want to bring in Mario if he had the same start to the season but for a different team.

Folks would say, "imagine what Wade could do with him"..."He's a physical freak that has the potential to be dominant"...

I think the conversation would be about the same, but of course he is more polarizing since he was already a Texan.

But I disagree that there wouldn't be a segment saying we should bring him in...
Nobody would be saying we need to sign Mario Williams if he was another team's FA. They would be talking about how much better Brooks Reed could be in his second year as a pro and would be talking about how Connor Barwin could take another step in his career in his second season at OLBer... and even if someone did say we should sign Mario out from under another team, everybody would be saying we need to sign our own players or would be talking about how we should sign a WR2 or a corner.

Where is all the discussion on how we need to sign the top FA OLineman? There isn't any, because that isn't a position of need right now and neither is OLBer even if we don't bring Mario back. The only reason why he's getting so much support and people want to bring him back so bad is because he's played his entire career here.. if he played his entire career somewhere else there would be little discussion about him and about the need to bring him here.

Your Manning comparison isn't really a good comparison, because when your starting QB can't stay healthy a case can be made that we should bring someone in and Manning is a once in a generation type of talent.... Mario.. not so much.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #90
cbs1507
Veteran
 
cbs1507's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 286
Rep Power: 8662 cbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Re-structuring Contracts to free up $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Nobody would be saying we need to sign Mario Williams if he was another team's FA. They would be talking about how much better Brooks Reed could be in his second year as a pro and would be talking about how Connor Barwin could take another step in his career in his second season at OLBer... and even if someone did say we should sign Mario out from under another team, everybody would be saying we need to sign our own players or would be talking about how we should sign a WR2 or a corner.

Where is all the discussion on how we need to sign the top FA OLineman? There isn't any, because that isn't a position of need right now and neither is OLBer even if we don't bring Mario back. The only reason why he's getting so much support and people want to bring him back so bad is because he's played his entire career here.. if he played his entire career somewhere else there would be little discussion about him and about the need to bring him here.

Your Manning comparison isn't really a good comparison, because when your starting QB can't stay healthy a case can be made that we should bring someone in and Manning is a once in a generation type of talent.... Mario.. not so much.
Who else in the NFL is like Mario? Not trying to be rude. I'm just wondering...
cbs1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #91
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame
 
dalemurphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Austin
Section: Bullpen/ 636
Age: 40
Posts: 5,703
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Re-structuring Contracts to free up $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbs1507 View Post
Who else in the NFL is like Mario? Not trying to be rude. I'm just wondering...
physically, I'd say J.J. Watt. However, Watt plays with a better motor and has chased down plays from behind more times as a rookie than Mario has in 6 years. Watt is also a more instinctive football player.

Other comparisons:
Charles Johnson
Will Smith

Will Smith, particularly, reminds me of Mario because of their similar career path. Both 1st rounders. Both can play a number of DL positions. Both players can physically dominate a game. Both are good against the run. Both players have had two excellent seasons and a number solid to mediocre seasons. Both careers looked great the first three years and then became less consistent.
__________________
obsessive, passionate coverage of our beloved Texans at : Texans Bull Blog
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #92
thunderkyss 
& so it begins
 
thunderkyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Texas
Age: 42
Posts: 33,338
Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Re-structuring Contracts to free up $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post

The only reason why he's getting so much support and people want to bring him back so bad is because he's played his entire career here.. if he played his entire career somewhere else there would be little discussion about him and about the need to bring him here.
Not exactly. I've contended all along if Mario walks outside pass rusher will be our most pressing need. I've said that from the beginning.

I do agree, however, if he weren't a Texan, it would be a different conversation all together. But people were politicing for Haynesworth for years....... of course our pass rush did not produce like it did in 2011, so most likely, I think you're right.

If Mario were never a Texan, I doubt I would consider an argument to bring him to Houston, given the way our front 7 performed in 2011. I would still be looking for an OG & a WR to be taken with our first two picks. But I would want a pick or two to address the DL & our pass rush. Kind of like signing Arian Foster & Jeremiah Johnson even though Slaton ran for 1200 yards.

As it stands, with Mario on our team, this would be the first draft (if I were running the war room) that I wouldn't address the pass rush.
__________________
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #93
cbs1507
Veteran
 
cbs1507's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 286
Rep Power: 8662 cbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Re-structuring Contracts to free up $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
physically, I'd say J.J. Watt. However, Watt plays with a better motor and has chased down plays from behind more times as a rookie than Mario has in 6 years. Watt is also a more instinctive football player.

Other comparisons:
Charles Johnson
Will Smith

Will Smith, particularly, reminds me of Mario because of their similar career path. Both 1st rounders. Both can play a number of DL positions. Both players can physically dominate a game. Both are good against the run. Both players have had two excellent seasons and a number solid to mediocre seasons. Both careers looked great the first three years and then became less consistent.
I'm sorry I never heard anybody compare those guys to Williams. I guess I missed something. I was inquiring about someone with similar natural ability and talent.

Last edited by cbs1507; 02-06-2012 at 06:50 PM.
cbs1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #94
Rey
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 14,475
Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Re-structuring Contracts to free up $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Nobody would be saying we need to sign Mario Williams if he was another team's FA. They would be talking about how much better Brooks Reed could be in his second year as a pro and would be talking about how Connor Barwin could take another step in his career in his second season at OLBer... and even if someone did say we should sign Mario out from under another team, everybody would be saying we need to sign our own players or would be talking about how we should sign a WR2 or a corner.
This doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You are saying no one would say we should sign Mario and then you say that "If someone did say we should sign Mario"....

That is the part I disputed. The fact that you are saying NO ONE would say "sign Mario", but you have already pretty much aknowledged that some people might...

Of course you will have more people saying re-sign now him since he is already a Texan.



Quote:
Where is all the discussion on how we need to sign the top FA OLineman? There isn't any, because that isn't a position of need right now and neither is OLBer even if we don't bring Mario back.
Olinemen don't get a lot of love period. Then on top of that, what top FA O-linemen are going to actually hit the market? \

I think you are incorrect here. If there was a top flight O-lineman that we all knew was going to hit the market I believe you'd have several posters saying we should sign them. We've already had people suggest drafting a top Tackle and moving Winston or Brown to Guard.

Quote:
The only reason why he's getting so much support and people want to bring him back so bad is because he's played his entire career here.. if he played his entire career somewhere else there would be little discussion about him and about the need to bring him here.
I partly agree with that. Not sure what your point is though. You should know the trees in your own backyard better than you know the ones down the block.

Of course he is going to get more attention since he was already a Texan. Does that really need to be said?


Quote:
Your Manning comparison isn't really a good comparison, because when your starting QB can't stay healthy a case can be made that we should bring someone in and Manning is a once in a generation type of talent.... Mario.. not so much.
The point was that QB isn't a dire need yet people are still talking about the far fetched Idea of bringing Manning in.

It's not really a stretch that if a guy like Mario Williams actually hit the market you'd have guys saying: "Since he was hurt last year we may be able to get a good deal with him. Bring him in and have a healthy rotation of Mario, Reed, and Barwin and we'd have the most talented and fierce pass rush in the league. If Wade can actually get the best out of him we'd be effing sick."


Basically, I totally disagree that NO ONE would be saying these things and suggesting that we bring Mario in. Just because it is not a percieved or immediate weakness does not mean that people wouldn't want a guy like Mario to be added to the rotation.

I don't care what position a player plays. When a top tier talent hits the market you are going to get fans talking about bringing them in. Unless you have a potential or lock hall of fame or young stud type QB you will probably have a segment fans talking about Peyton Manning. Every other position it doesn't even matter because most other positions you have two guys on the field of the same position or you can be easily moved around.

QB is one of the few positions where you don't really want any kind of rotation going.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #95
Rey
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 14,475
Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Re-structuring Contracts to free up $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
physically, I'd say J.J. Watt. However, Watt plays with a better motor and has chased down plays from behind more times as a rookie than Mario has in 6 years. Watt is also a more instinctive football player.

Other comparisons:
Charles Johnson
Will Smith

Will Smith, particularly, reminds me of Mario because of their similar career path. Both 1st rounders. Both can play a number of DL positions. Both players can physically dominate a game. Both are good against the run. Both players have had two excellent seasons and a number solid to mediocre seasons. Both careers looked great the first three years and then became less consistent.
Mario also didn't have the same coaching that JJ Watt had when he came into the league. The rest of the defense wasn't as good and they were moving Mario all over the place.

Bad Coaching - Confusion
Bad players around him - More confusion
Moved all around - More confusion


Look, I get that you guys don't like Mario that much, but to ignore the differences in the defensive personnel now and the coaching now compared to the past is just biased.

JJ Watt probably does play with more energy and a hgher motor than Mario...I'd say that Steve Smith plays with more energy, fire and a higher motor than Andre Johnson...

Players are different, but effective is effective and even when the defensive personnel has sucked and even when the coaching has sucked Mario has been pretty effective on a year to year basis. He's a good pass rusher and he's pretty damn good against the run.

The guy is a top tier player at the position so all the little breakdowns and critiques don't really mean much at the end of the day when it comes to actual performance. The guy is a really good player. He has his warts, but so does everyone else...Some more than others.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #96
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame
 
dalemurphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Austin
Section: Bullpen/ 636
Age: 40
Posts: 5,703
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Re-structuring Contracts to free up $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Mario also didn't have the same coaching that JJ Watt had when he came into the league. The rest of the defense wasn't as good and they were moving Mario all over the place.

Bad Coaching - Confusion
Bad players around him - More confusion
Moved all around - More confusion


Look, I get that you guys don't like Mario that much, but to ignore the differences in the defensive personnel now and the coaching now compared to the past is just biased.

JJ Watt probably does play with more energy and a hgher motor than Mario...I'd say that Steve Smith plays with more energy, fire and a higher motor than Andre Johnson...

Players are different, but effective is effective
and even when the defensive personnel has sucked and even when the coaching has sucked Mario has been pretty effective on a year to year basis. He's a good pass rusher and he's pretty damn good against the run.

The guy is a top tier player at the position so all the little breakdowns and critiques don't really mean much at the end of the day when it comes to actual performance. The guy is a really good player. He has his warts, but so does everyone else...Some more than others.

That Steve Smith to Andre Johnson argument is pretty darn strong! It's certainly the most convincing defense of my main issue with Mario that I have heard. Thanks for that.

That being said, the central issue still comes down to paying huge money to a player that is not an essential part of the Texans' success. AJ's contract is roughly 1/2 of what Mario's will likely be but he is a much more important part of the Texans' offensive success than Mario is to the defensive success.
__________________
obsessive, passionate coverage of our beloved Texans at : Texans Bull Blog
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #97
cbs1507
Veteran
 
cbs1507's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 286
Rep Power: 8662 cbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Re-structuring Contracts to free up $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
That Steve Smith to Andre Johnson argument is pretty darn strong! It's certainly the most convincing defense of my main issue with Mario that I have heard. Thanks for that.

That being said, the central issue still comes down to paying huge money to a player that is not an essential part of the Texans' success. AJ's contract is roughly 1/2 of what Mario's will likely be but he is a much more important part of the Texans' offensive success than Mario is to the defensive success.
All the Mario haters keep saying the same song after their other claims are put to shame...

How about we put this last one to bed...

Quote:
"That leaves us with a bottom line of $25.6M of cap space, without releasing anyone."
http://www.battleredblog.com/2012/2/...012-salary-cap

We can pay Mario. We can pay Foster. We can pay Myers. I guess there really are no more arguments against Mario now...carry on.
cbs1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #98
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame
 
dalemurphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Austin
Section: Bullpen/ 636
Age: 40
Posts: 5,703
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Re-structuring Contracts to free up $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbs1507 View Post
All the Mario haters keep saying the same song after their other claims are put to shame...

How about we put that this last one to bed...


http://www.battleredblog.com/2012/2/...012-salary-cap

We can pay Mario. We can pay Foster. We can pay Myers. I guess there really are no more arguments against Mario now...carry on.
I've never said we can't pay him. I said we can't afford to franchise him.

I've argued that we shouldn't sign him. We shouldn't sign a guy that will consume 10% of the cap moving forward when he showed to be non-essential on a great defense. I would rather spend that money elsewhere.
__________________
obsessive, passionate coverage of our beloved Texans at : Texans Bull Blog
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #99
thunderkyss 
& so it begins
 
thunderkyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Texas
Age: 42
Posts: 33,338
Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Re-structuring Contracts to free up $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbs1507 View Post

http://www.battleredblog.com/2012/2/...012-salary-cap

We can pay Mario. We can pay Foster. We can pay Myers. I guess there really are no more arguments against Mario now...carry on.
FYI, that "source" is no different than what we've seen so far. It's a fan's calculations after "cobbling" together information from mostly unsubstantiated sources.

We still have nothing official.

But the premise is sound. We were not over the 2011 cap. We have players that will come off the cap...... most notable the expensive Mario Williams.
__________________
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #100
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame
 
Carr Bombed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wherever the US govt. sends me
Posts: 13,652
Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Re-structuring Contracts to free up $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
This doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You are saying no one would say we should sign Mario and then you say that "If someone did say we should sign Mario"....That is the part I disputed. The fact that you are saying NO ONE would say "sign Mario", but you have already pretty much acknowledged that some people might...
Oh geez, do we really have to break down the semantics of my post? I threw out the "even if someone tried to argue for Mario" line.. for argument's sake, as in you think there would be people clamoring for him like he was a giant need... which they wouldn't be. And I don't know how you got "people might", from a "even if someone would" statement. Maybe that's why you're confused. Someone is singular and you always have to account for the 1 nut in the bunch. Hence for "argument's sake". Let's put it this way.. The conversation wouldn't be the same like what you tried to say.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Olinemen don't get a lot of love period. Then on top of that, what top FA O-linemen are going to actually hit the market? \

I think you are incorrect here. If there was a top flight O-lineman that we all knew was going to hit the market I believe you'd have several posters saying we should sign them. We've already had people suggest drafting a top Tackle and moving Winston or Brown to Guard.
Drafting a tackle doesn't have anything to do with spending a crap load of money in FA and signing a tackle, so I don't get that argument. Rookies are cheap and that's the best way to now get bang for your buck. If if I agreed with taking a tackle and moving Winston inside (which is a idea I'd entertain)...it doesn't mean I want to spend a crap load of money on a FA.

For instance... if we let Mario walk, I'd support the idea of finding another OLBer in the draft for depth...because it wouldn't cost that much. That doesn't mean I'm willing to back up the truck for Mario, just because I'd be willing to draft another OLBer. Same thing with signing a tackle and drafting a tackle. And like I said, I haven't really read anywhere where people are talking about spending big FA dollars on a premier outside offensive lineman. Just like I haven't heard about them wanting to spend big FA dollars on a premier OLBer (not named Mario)... and I wonder why. Maybe has to do with the fact that OLBer isn't a glaring need despite the pending FA of Williams.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I partly agree with that. Not sure what your point is though. You should know the trees in your own backyard better than you know the ones down the block.

Of course he is going to get more attention since he was already a Texan. Does that really need to be said?
And that is why I'm willing to part ways with Mario Williams...because I DO know "the tree" and the other trees we have in our backyard.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
The point was that QB isn't a dire need yet people are still talking about the far fetched Idea of bringing Manning in.
And this is completely debateable...hence why there's absolutely no comparison to Mario Williams. While I don't think there's a shot in hell of Manning coming to this team. You can't sit there and question why some people may feel that QB is a need on this team when your starter can't stay healthy and only has been able to finish a NFL season half the time that he's spent playing in the NFL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
It's not really a stretch that if a guy like Mario Williams actually hit the market you'd have guys saying: "Since he was hurt last year we may be able to get a good deal with him. Bring him in and have a healthy rotation of Mario, Reed, and Barwin and we'd have the most talented and fierce pass rush in the league. If Wade can actually get the best out of him we'd be effing sick."


Basically, I totally disagree that NO ONE would be saying these things and suggesting that we bring Mario in. Just because it is not a percieved or immediate weakness does not mean that people wouldn't want a guy like Mario to be added to the rotation.

I don't care what position a player plays. When a top tier talent hits the market you are going to get fans talking about bringing them in. Unless you have a potential or lock hall of fame or young stud type QB you will probably have a segment fans talking about Peyton Manning. Every other position it doesn't even matter because most other positions you have two guys on the field of the same position or you can be easily moved around.
OK, just for clarification So I won't have to decipher a lot of your quotes where you break up my post and break it down sentence by sentence (kinda annoying)

Maybe I should clear it up. People wouldn't act like we HAD to bring Mario back. Even if they're might be some people adamant about bringing him on board at the most it'd be a very small minority. Certainly nothing like what we have going on here, because whether you want to admit it or not and the main point that I was trying to make (a point that you've managed to dodge despite all of the quoting) is that even without bringing Mario back... OLBer is NOT a huge need and we have great options there.


P.S.

next time you respond to a post of mine, can you please try to keep the quotes to a minimum... I'm not trying to be a ass here, but that is a huge pet peeve of mine. Now we have completely butchered the conversation and even if you respond back to this post (and I'm sure you will), the whole talking points are completely FUBAR'ed.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger