Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-01-2012   #1
Mean Machine
Veteran

Rep Power: 114 Mean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re-structuring Contracts to free up $$$

What are the possibilities for the Texans to free up salary cap space with some restructuring current long term players under contract in order to sign our most important free agents:
Mario Williams
Arain Foster
Chris Myers
Mike brisiel
Joel Dreesen

I know we have several under long term contracts:
Andre Johnson thru 2017
Demeco Ryans thru 2016
Antonio Smith thru 2014
Kevin Walter thru 2015
Owen Daniels thru 2014
Kareem Jackson thru 2015
Jacoby Jones thru 2013
Johnathan Joseph thru 2016
Eric Winston thru 2013

I'm just not a capologist and have no idea how we can make it happen.
sec 637: Gridiron, Texas.
Mean Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012   #2
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Re-structuring Contracts to free up $$$

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89116
Old 02-01-2012   #3
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51680 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Machine View Post
I don't think that really helps to answer the question at hand. I am not very versed in capology either, would be interesting to hear how a GM and player go about re-structuring for less cap hit.
Old 02-01-2012   #4
Mean Machine
Veteran

Rep Power: 114 Mean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respected

That's the deal, are there ways we can front load Andre Johnson's contract now, so we can have more for salary cap today?

I've heard of this before, but is this even possible with the new CBA?
sec 637: Gridiron, Texas.
Mean Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012   #5
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What are the possibilities for the Texans to free up salary cap space with some restructuring current long term players under contract in order to sign our most important free agents:
Mario Williams
Arain Foster
Chris Myers
Mike brisiel
Joel Dreesen

Andre Johnson thru 2017
Demeco Ryans thru 2016
Antonio Smith thru 2014
Kevin Walter thru 2015
Owen Daniels thru 2014
Kareem Jackson thru 2015
Jacoby Jones thru 2013
Eric Winston thru 2013

Extending Schaub's deal is the most likely solution to save a few million this season. Of course, his lisfranc injury complicates that option.
Old 02-01-2012   #6
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's the deal, are there ways we can front load Andre Johnson's contract now, so we can have more for salary cap today?

I've heard of this before, but is this even possible with the new CBA?
They restrcutred a couple of guys before last season if I am not mistaken. Overall, I think the trouble capwise if you are constantly doing the restructures because a team is essentially using it credit cards.
Old 02-01-2012   #7
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
They restrcutred a couple of guys before last season if I am not mistaken. Overall, I think the trouble capwise if you are constantly doing the restructures because a team is essentially using it credit cards.
Exactly. It's kinda comparable to what's going on with the countrys finances right now which is we can only defer our obligations so long until they come due.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-01-2012   #8
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 88409 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

delete.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!

Last edited by False Start; 02-01-2012 at 04:04 PM.
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012   #9
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
I don't think that really helps to answer the question at hand. I am not very versed in capology either, would be interesting to hear how a GM and player go about re-structuring for less cap hit.
It's an entire thread about salaries that is based on speculation and second hand reports of each player's contract. I don't think there is much else to add, except that if you want to shuffle around some dollars there's a good place to start with salary estimates. It also details the available caproom and some contracts that can be cut to save money like JJ and Lienart. If the OP wants to throw out some numbers, that thread has sufficient info to start with.

If you want some examples of moving money or structuring deals to help relieve caproom in one year, look at the Jets last year. They are going to be in cap hell in 2012 due to all their shuffling trying to get Aso. Holmes made about 3 mill last year, but will get 9 mill this year and 12.5 the next. Cromartie got 2.2 mill, but will get 5 in 2012 and 8 in 2013. Just check out some of their contracts and see if that's the position you would like to see the Texans in next year:

www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/
Old 02-01-2012   #10
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Everyone seems to be focusing in on Mario and this years FA's. What about the FA's after the 2012 season? The Texans are already on the brink of being in cap hell and it's not all a bunch of funny money that can be swept under a contractual rug.
As far as restructuring goes, the length of the contract is not nearly as important as the gauranteed money.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012   #11
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Rep Power: 51680 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's an entire thread about salaries that is based on speculation and second hand reports of each player's contract. I don't think there is much else to add, except that if you want to shuffle around some dollars there's a good place to start with salary estimates. It also details the available caproom and some contracts that can be cut to save money like JJ and Lienart. If the OP wants to throw out some numbers, that thread has sufficient info to start with.

If you want some examples of moving money or structuring deals to help relieve caproom in one year, look at the Jets last year. They are going to be in cap hell in 2012 due to all their shuffling trying to get Aso. Holmes made about 3 mill last year, but will get 9 mill this year and 12.5 the next. Cromartie got 2.2 mill, but will get 5 in 2012 and 8 in 2013. Just check out some of their contracts and see if that's the position you would like to see the Texans in next year:

www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/
Yes I have picked through that thread as well, very informative. I don't think I'm delineating my point very well, I'll try and figure out a way to better voice my question.
Old 02-01-2012   #12
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
Yes I have picked through that thread as well, very informative. I don't think I'm delineating my point very well, I'll try and figure out a way to better voice my question.
Well, I re-read the post, and I think I know what you're asking for. As far as restructuring goes, anything is on the table except signing bonuses. If a hypothetical player makes 5, 6, 7, 8, mill a year over 4 years for a total of 26 million, a GM can meet with his agent and move that money around. They can change things like the amount of guaranteed money as an incentive to make them shift that salary. So you could wind up with a 2, 11, 3, 10 setup instead because the team needs extra money in the first and third years.

The issue with doing this though is that the GM and player/agent must agree on the deal. Suppose in that example there were no other bonuses or signing bonuses and the guaranteed money was 13 million (half the contract). The player would not go for this restructured deal because he could be cut outright after year 2 of the restructure, whereas in the original contract he would have been paid 2 million if he was cut in that year. But it also gives him a chance to earn 7 million in the old deal, instead of 3 million. It's not a good deal for the player in that case.

It's a give and take, but not uncommon. The hypothetical player in this case would probably go for the restructure if the GM guarantees that 3 million in year 3. That would increase the overall guaranteed money to 16 million without increasing the cap hit overall. Not a bad deal if they are willing to pay him an average of 6.5 mill a year anyways. But that's one way to look at things.
Old 02-01-2012   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Usually, reworking a contract offers the player money up front to allow the re-negotiating. I think the approach should be to focus on the FAs both our own and new guys and backloading the deals. Money up front pleases the player and high total contract benefits the agent. The new TV contract offers big money that can be used to offer big dollars in 2013 and beyond.
Old 02-01-2012   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Everyone seems to be focusing in on Mario and this years FA's. What about the FA's after the 2012 season? The Texans are already on the brink of being in cap hell and it's not all a bunch of funny money that can be swept under a contractual rug.
As far as restructuring goes, the length of the contract is not nearly as important as the gauranteed money.
Are you sure? Sometimes, we confuse "guaranteed money" with signing bonus. Neither of which is really as important as the cap number. They, of course, make up the cap number based on the structure of the contract.

But in & of itself, guaranteed money isn't any more relevant than the length of the contract (I don't think).
Old 02-01-2012   #15
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 77701 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Are you sure? Sometimes, we confuse "guaranteed money" with signing bonus. Neither of which is really as important as the cap number. They, of course, make up the cap number based on the structure of the contract.

But in & of itself, guaranteed money isn't any more relevant than the length of the contract (I don't think).
guaranteed money is the money that player will get no matter what. Break a leg serious enough for it to be career ending? Still get the guaranteed money. Get cut cause you blow donkey balls on the field? Still get the guaranteed money.

Players re-structure, sign extensions and get cut all the time, which is why the length of the contract is sort of negligible in comparison to how much guaranteed compensation they will get no matter what happens.
Old 02-01-2012   #16
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
guaranteed money is the money that player will get no matter what. Break a leg serious enough for it to be career ending? Still get the guaranteed money. Get cut cause you blow donkey balls on the field? Still get the guaranteed money.

Players re-structure, sign extensions and get cut all the time, which is why the length of the contract is sort of negligible in comparison to how much guaranteed compensation they will get no matter what happens.
The amount of gauranteed money will likely be the difference between resigning MW and him walking. Would you risk $50+ mil gauranteed on a player with a considerable history of injury?
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012   #17
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 77701 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
The amount of gauranteed money will likely be the difference between resigning MW and him walking. Would you risk $50+ mil gauranteed on a player with a considerable history of injury?
Going to have to define "considerable injury history" unless 1 early season injury makes any player injury prone (sorry Daryl Sharpton, Owen Daniels, Roc Carmichael, and others).
Old 02-01-2012   #18
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Quote:
Well, I re-read the post, and I think I know what you're asking for. As far as restructuring goes, anything is on the table except signing bonuses. If a hypothetical player makes 5, 6, 7, 8, mill a year over 4 years for a total of 26 million, a GM can meet with his agent and move that money around. They can change things like the amount of guaranteed money as an incentive to make them shift that salary. So you could wind up with a 2, 11, 3, 10 setup instead because the team needs extra money in the first and third years.

The issue with doing this though is that the GM and player/agent must agree on the deal. Suppose in that example there were no other bonuses or signing bonuses and the guaranteed money was 13 million (half the contract). The player would not go for this restructured deal because he could be cut outright after year 2 of the restructure, whereas in the original contract he would have been paid 2 million if he was cut in that year. But it also gives him a chance to earn 7 million in the old deal, instead of 3 million. It's not a good deal for the player in that case.

It's a give and take, but not uncommon. The hypothetical player in this case would probably go for the restructure if the GM guarantees that 3 million in year 3. That would increase the overall guaranteed money to 16 million without increasing the cap hit overall. Not a bad deal if they are willing to pay him an average of 6.5 mill a year anyways. But that's one way to look at things.
There ya go, exactly what I was looking for.
Old 02-01-2012   #19
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4662 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Mario Williams
Arain Foster
Chris Myers
Mike brisiel
Joel Dreesen

Andre Johnson thru 2017
Demeco Ryans thru 2016
Antonio Smith thru 2014
Kevin Walter thru 2015
Owen Daniels thru 2014
Kareem Jackson thru 2015
Jacoby Jones thru 2013 WHY, trade???
Eric Winston thru 2013

Old 02-01-2012   #20
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85602 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Going to have to define "considerable injury history" unless 1 early season injury makes any player injury prone (sorry Daryl Sharpton, Owen Daniels, Roc Carmichael, and others).
If your on the side of letting Mario walk instead of signing him long term, you're going to put the injury-prone label on him to validate your case. Way too convenient.

Schaub was "injury-prone" a couple of years ago, until he proved to most that he was a good QB. But now that he's out with a Lisfranc injury, where's the injury-prone label now?

Instead of putting the injury-prone label on Mario, cut the bull**** and just say he's not that good of a player.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read