Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-02-2012   #21
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: You make the call

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
you make a great point, MW may not look fast but he ran a 1.6 10yd split at the combine in 06. That's ridiculous for a 6'7" almost 300lb man. By comparison, Ware ran a 1.62. MW is indeed a freak
Mario and Watt are near identical athletes. Mario is pretty fast but, because of his size and length, his quickness isn't a difference-maker (on the edge). Also, he plays a little high and stiff (for an edge guy)... he can't drop that lead shoulder on a speed rush and force the tackle to lean to get to him. Physically, he is a perfect fit for a strong side DE in a 4-3. As seen in video 1, he is a good finisher. He always has been.
Old 02-02-2012   #22
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Mario and Watt are near identical athletes. Mario is pretty fast but, because of his size and length, his quickness isn't a difference-maker (on the edge). Also, he plays a little high and stiff (for an edge guy)... he can't drop that lead shoulder on a speed rush and force the tackle to lean to get to him. Physically, he is a perfect fit for a strong side DE in a 4-3. As seen in video 1, he is a good finisher. He always has been.
Watt is a freak too, but I do think MW is a tad more explosive than Watt and their numbers reflect this:

MW 1.6 10yd 40"VJ

Watt 1.64 10yd 37"VJ

You have to remember Mario is 6'7", it's tough not to play high at his height. Tall guys never look quick on film or TV. They tend to cover so much ground per step it's deceiving. I've been a strength coach for 16 yrs, I don't think the average Joe has a true idea of just how freaky both MW and Watt are as athletes.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012   #23
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not true, as seen in the Saints game.
When I get to that game, I will bring up the play.
I've seen him do that other times, it's just that I've been on the Saints game the last couple of days.
Yeah, dip his shoulder to get under the OT to come around close to the QB.
And after he's been chipped, too!
Only, Smith got there just a hair ahead to put the hit on Brees.

No, he doesn't do that often (just like the spin move) but he does have both in his repertoire.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012   #24
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Really now. Near identical huh? So I guess JJ Watt is a speedy athletic freak who has the quicks and size to make plays eh? Here I was thinking he was a big pretty athletic guy but mostly had tenacity and a high motor to make his plays as well as brutish strength.
Old 02-02-2012   #25
Gotta Know
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Gotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respected

There is no great divide between Mario's and Watt's numbers.

Watt being "pretty athletic" and getting by mostly on "tenacity" and "high motor" is just wrong.

40 yrd: M 4.70 W 4.81
3 cone: M 7.21 W 6.88
20 yd shuttle: M 4.37 W 4.21
Bench: M 35 W 34
Vertical Jump: M 40 W 37
Broad Jump: M 120.0 W 120.0
Mario was .04 seconds faster in 10 yrd split
Gotta Know is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012   #26
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 62307 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
First off, a few plays do not make a player.

For example, I can tell you that Smith's sack on Brees was pure luck (the Saints were setting up a screen pass such that the LT only tried to draw Smith in and was getting ready to get out to block on the second level; basically Smith went in uncontested; as Brees fumbled the snap, all Smith had to do was to fall on top of him to get credit for the sack).
But that doesn't mean that Smith got lucky all the time.

The same goes for Mario.

However, I will still give my observation on those two vids:

Vid 1 shows me two things:

1. Big Ben was hearing footsteps and the first thing that came to his mind was to run away from Mario.
The fear factor.

2. A player who didn't stop chasing until the whistle blows.
That we call effort, my friend.

Vid 2 shows me a lot:

The Dolphins kept the RB to help with the block.
I don't know if you can follow it on the vid or not (but my screen shots show it very clearly); as Mario stunted to the inside, the RB also followed him.
The RT picked up Smith.
The RG, the C and the RB triple-teamed Mario.
Still, Mario was 5 yards beyond the LOS.
Guess what? He didn't give the QB much room to step up.
This allowed Barwin to get to the QB.
And when Henne tried to avoid him, Cushing was able to come in free because Mario had occupied 3 blockers.
First off add more videos if you want that is what the thread is about. If Mario is such a great pass rusher they should't be hard to find. Of course after reading your breakdown any video that has Mario in in would be a highlight in your mind.

In video 1 your breakdown shows you have no objectivity when it comes to Mario. Fear factor? Really? Big Ben didn't even see Mario. It was Smith that flushed him out of the pocket and into Mario's path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Not true, as seen in the Saints game.
When I get to that game, I will bring up the play.
I've seen him do that other times, it's just that I've been on the Saints game the last couple of days.
Yeah, dip his shoulder to get under the OT to come around close to the QB.
And after he's been chipped, too!
Only, Smith got there just a hair ahead to put the hit on Brees.

No, he doesn't do that often (just like the spin move) but he does have both in his repertoire.
Instead of telling us about it how about bringing the videos here and prove it. All you guys that act like Mario is LT, here is your chance to prove it. If Mario is this great outside pass rusher with all these moves there should be plenty of video to back that clame up, right?
Old 02-02-2012   #27
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153493 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Certainly (retaining Williams) is going to be a focus of ours. We want to keep him and we're going to do everything we can to do that.
Old 02-02-2012   #28
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 62307 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
What is your point Thunder? And I guess that puts to rest the theory that Mario is the TOP priority.

"Certainly (retaining Williams) is going to be a focus of ours.".

I really do want Mario back as long as the price is right and he returns to DE. He can always spell the outside guys in certain situations.
Old 02-02-2012   #29
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153493 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
What is your point Thunder? And I guess that puts to rest the theory that Mario is the TOP priority.

"Certainly (retaining Williams) is going to be a focus of ours.".

I really do want Mario back as long as the price is right and he returns to DE. He can always spell the outside guys in certain situations.
My point, is that the Texans are going to do their best to bring Mario.
Old 02-02-2012   #30
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
My point, is that the Texans are going to do their best to bring Mario.
Was that ever in doubt?
Old 02-02-2012   #31
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

In video 1 your breakdown shows you have no objectivity when it comes to Mario. Fear factor? Really? Big Ben didn't even see Mario. It was Smith that flushed him out of the pocket and into Mario's path.

You specifically asked about Mario in these vids and I told you what my observations are about what he did to contribute to these plays.

It's always the scheme that ties everything together if we're talking about other players as well (and sometimes the secondary plays a part in it.)

It was Barwin who actually didn't give the QB room to step up.
Smith was also doing his job, it seems. I'm not exactly sure what he was asked to do so I'm going to give Smith a pass here.
But if he was to contain and not letting Big Ben out of the pocket on this stunt then he didn't do his job very well.

Without Mario, Big Ben would have been able to make a run for it (coverage was good) or at worst to throw the ball away.

Ask yourself why Big Ben never thought of going right.

Now I may have overstate the Fear Factor (but it only serves to counter-balance the effect of the other side; ie. you and DM for example ).

Why is it that HCs (including ex-HCs), game analysts, and players from other teams keep talking about how "you have to account for Mario on every play".
The QB has to know what side Mario is on; if he doesn't then he isn't very smart.

They don't talk about paying extra attention to other players on the Texans (yet).
It's always Mario.
And if you want to discount that FACT then it is your choice, I can't stop you.

All I'm saying is that QBs are not very eager to try to escape toward Mario's side unless they have a clear vision or they are desperate (or somewhat desperate.)

Last edited by 76Texan; 02-02-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-02-2012   #32
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
First off add more videos if you want that is what the thread is about. If Mario is such a great pass rusher they should't be hard to find. Of course after reading your breakdown any video that has Mario in in would be a highlight in your mind.

Instead of telling us about it how about bringing the videos here and prove it. All you guys that act like Mario is LT, here is your chance to prove it. If Mario is this great outside pass rusher with all these moves there should be plenty of video to back that clame up, right?
I never claim that Mario is LT or anybody for that matter.
All I know is that he's a very effective player on the Texans that opponents have to respect and do respect.

I don't know how to do video, but I have plenty of screen shots.
I don't have much time to upload them onto photobucket however.

You can check the thread on film study on Mario vs. the Colts and if you want to contest a certain play, I will try my best to find the time to upload the screenshots to photobucket.

I'm still working on the next game against the Dolphins (but I kinda skip ahead to the Saints game already). It takes a lot of time even though I already watch each game several times.

As far as Mario being a great lineman/LB, all you need to know is that somebody is going to sign him to very good money to play.
It is as simple as that.
Money talks.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read