Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-08-2012   #121
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61034 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Solomon: If Manning on market, Texans should be first in line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
did I miss the boat or is there something wrong with Schaub that I don't know about?
Some say the Linsfranc (?) injury will take longer to heal, if at all, than what the Texans are saying. Ive seen everywhere from he will be ready for training camp to missing the entire season stated.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012   #122
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Some say the Linsfranc (?) injury will take longer to heal, if at all, than what the Texans are saying. Ive seen everywhere from he will be ready for training camp to missing the entire season stated.
Ya, all the news from the Texans/Schaub has been positive, but it is still a big unknown at this point. It seems quite possible that Schaub could lose some of the little mobility that he had in the first place.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012   #123
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
did I miss the boat or is there something wrong with Schaub that I don't know about?
Were you being facetious?
Old 02-08-2012   #124
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I think this is more plausible than you're thinking.

If there's anyone that the Tebow fanboys would shut up for it would be the addition of a future HoF'er like Manning. They would realize that Manning would only be there a couple of years and make them competitive and relevant during that time. And Manning has the chops and resume' to take any heat the hardcore Tebow-ites could dish out.

The fanbase would have to know that there's no better teacher for their boy Tebow to learn from for those two years than Manning??

And Elway would HAVE to be elated with someone under center that actually knows how to be a traditional - and effective - QB.

The only snag I see is whether Manning is willing to play outside in the cold. ...especially after being indoors the last few years.

Yeah, IMO Denver would definitely be in the Capt. Forehead sweepstakes.
You know, after I typed that, I started thinking about it and Manning might be the one trump card that Elway has to take control of his team from the Tebow Mania. Like you said, fans would most likely comprehend the potential of getting Manning, and this gives Elway a small exit to save face.

Although, I think Manning playing in an outdoor stadium in Colorado is the X factor. Dude's entire career has been home in a dome, and that cannot be overlooked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I have to confess this is where my head is still at. I've heard the "if you can't beat 'em, Join 'em" viewpoint. I'm a believer that if you can't beat 'em, you ain't hittin' hard enough. Get a bigger stick.

Bear with me. It'll take a while before this even becomes something the Peyton-hate centers of my brain will let me consider rationally.
I played a trick on my wife and football fanatic son last night when I told them that the Texans might sign Manning. The look on their faces was priceless. The dropped jaw and WTF? looks said it all.

I do not even think it's realistic, so I'm not too concerned about having to deal with the conflicted emotions in the real world. However, it would be like Vikings fans suddenly having to root for Brett Favre after so many years of loathing the guy. It's the mercenary nature of free agency these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I think the Chiefs are better than they appear. This past season was a disaster because of injuries and coaching. Losing guys like JC, Moeaki and Eric Berry decimated that team early on. They even lost Cassel about 2/3rds of the way through the season. I think they will be better next year, and pending major injuries they should be contending for the AFC West title. Adding Peyton, Wayne and Clark to that offense makes them easily the favorite in the division and in play for a first round bye. Not a bad deal for them IMO. However, I think the 49ers are more attractive to Peyton. Their defense is proven, and much better than the Chiefs, but if those players go to the Chiefs, then they can focus on the defense in the draft.
I think the big factor is the open stadium and winter Kansas weather.

The team itself...hard to say, because they really took a turn south in one year. I think having Romeo Crennel move to HC gives them some continuity, but honestly, I was never impressed with him as a HC. The Chiefs could certainly rebound, but that's not a given. The Texans have all the pieces in place to continue what they accomplished in 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
If we only talked about stuff that is going to happen here this would be a boring, lonely place to come.
yeah, it's off-season fever! I agree, though. It's not like anything we say and talk about in the forum has any kind of impact in the real world, even during the regular season, so this is just the cycle of fanatics to keep talking about football and to pass the time.

I dig Thorn, but I don't understand coming into thread just to bitch about the thread. I don't enter a lot of threads because they just don't interest me. If you don't like the subject, find another one that you do like. It has never bothered me that folks talk about stuff that I'm not into or is even 'out there'.

Quote:
CnD had posted some really great info (as always!) about Schaub's injury and the very real possibility that he might not even be ready to play until mid-season 2012, and that is under good recovery circumstances. So it's not really a diss on Schaub so much as it's the concern that we might be starting next season with a very rough-around-the-edges Yates.
Old 02-08-2012   #125
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Were you being facetious?
Schaub may lose a step but I don't think that hurts his game.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012   #126
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
CnD had posted some really great info (as always!) about Schaub's injury and the very real possibility that he might not even be ready to play until mid-season 2012, and that is under good recovery circumstances. So it's not really a diss on Schaub so much as it's the concern that we might be starting next season with a very rough-around-the-edges Yates.
haven't read it...just followed the general news stuff. Donno if I want to read it now. I'm not wanting to Schleprock this offseason...it's all feel good stuff. Bring on the Marketing Comrades. I'm yer slackey this year.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012   #127
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
haven't read it...just followed the general news stuff. Donno if I want to read it now. I'm not wanting to Schleprock this offseason...it's all feel good stuff. Bring on the Marketing Comrades. I'm yer slackey this year.
lol! I hear ya'! I don't want to lose the good vibes of 2011 to a reality check!
Old 02-08-2012   #128
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I can not believe this thread is still alive. I guess because it's the off season. Not like we have anything important to talk about just yet.

And this certainly isn't important because it isn't going to happen.
This thread needs a dose of reality:

or

curtesy of somethingawful
Old 02-08-2012   #129
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Speculation today is that the Cardinals hired ex-Colts coach Reich, WR coach. The gossip is that it's in preparation to eat the Kolb contract and get #18 to take over.
Old 02-08-2012   #130
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Speculation today is that the Cardinals hired ex-Colts coach Reich, WR coach. The gossip is that it's in preparation to eat the Kolb contract and get #18 to take over.

EDIT: It's actually Frank Reich (if you remember him, I bet you do), and he was the Colts QB coach for awhile too.
Old 02-08-2012   #131
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 52734 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Manning still appears to have a "noodle arm" at this point.

Quote:
Bob Kravitz of the Indianapolis Star said people who have seen Peyton Manning throw since the end of the regular season do not think he looks like an NFL-caliber quarterback. Kravitz actually used the phrase "noodle arm" at one point. "But that doesn't mean he never will [have the arm strength] ... or that he won't in a couple of months," Kravitz adds. "This thing is going to take time."
Link

Kind of defeats the purpose of pursuing him for stability at the position.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012   #132
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally, I feel that I don't ever want to see Pay-Me-A-Ton Manning on a football field ever again. Not because I hate the fact that he continually destroyed OUR Texans, but because of his neck injuries.... That ****e is serious! I'm truly concerned about a human being that has had 3 neck surgeries.... That's truly concerning.

DUDE, you gave the league about 15 +/- years.... Enjoy your place in history and take care of yourself!!
Old 02-08-2012   #133
b0ng
Ooops

Old 02-08-2012   #134
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post

EDIT: It's actually Frank Reich (if you remember him, I bet you do), and he was the Colts QB coach for awhile too.
The odds are 35 to 3 that I do know who Reich is. LOL.

The Colts have ex-coaches scattered to a lot of teams, though. Technically, there's more teams than just the Cardinals who could use the ex-Indy angle if they wanted to.

I think it's a $7 million hit on the Cards if they axe Kolb. Either he has a $7 million due to him or it's a $7 million cap hit, I cannot remember which. It's going to be interesting to see which team dumps their QB for him.
Old 02-08-2012   #135
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
It's Schaub saying he will be ready by camp, btw. He's fooling himself, too. It's logistically impossible unless Tebow is laying hands on the guy's foot.

Marcus has been preaching the gospel on this lisfranc situation, since he has gone through it himself. And CnD, the guy who knows the topic better than anybody, is also contributing to the book that Matt Schaub is not going to be ready by camp. He is not going to be ready by preseason. And he will not be ready by week 1 of reg season.

The guy is going to play, MAYBE, the last half of the season (at best) to show if he can gain a new contract or not. If this franchise has shown anything, it has shown it gives guys chances (see: Jacoby Jones, Amobi Okoye, Travis Johnson, Dunta Robinson, David Carr, Steve Slaton, on and on and on....).

TJ Yates will be the starter. And I'm fine with that. He has Kubiak's trust, he won the AFCS-clinching game in Cincy on a last-second pass for a TD to Walter that he easily could have choked on instead. He led us to the first round win over the same team, giving the Texans its first-ever playoff victory. And he had an up-and-down day in Baltimore where had Jacoby Jones not goofed up royally...we might have won that game despite Yates' up and down day.

The guy will have a full off-season (remember, he wasn't a Texans player until May 2011) the lockout prohibited him and others getting a full dose of "real" OTAs and camp, etc. So he'll have a full off-season, full camp, and preseason running with the 1st stringers. He gets that famous run game back, the o-line back, the defense back, and I think he will be fine.

Then he gets yanked about half-way through the season in favor of Schaub UNLESS Yates is going so bonkers that there's no conceivable way Kubiak could pull Yates. Either way, I think 2012 is Schaub's last year as a Texans QB. History is not on his side, but hey...anything is possible and I wish the guy well. Just saying that it doesn't look promising.
Old 02-08-2012   #136
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Manning still appears to have a "noodle arm" at this point.

Quote:
Bob Kravitz of the Indianapolis Star said people who have seen Peyton Manning throw since the end of the regular season do not think he looks like an NFL-caliber quarterback. Kravitz actually used the phrase "noodle arm" at one point. "But that doesn't mean he never will [have the arm strength] ... or that he won't in a couple of months," Kravitz adds. "This thing is going to take time."
Link

Kind of defeats the purpose of pursuing him for stability at the position.
Very interesting. Good contribution to the thread here, thank you for sharing.

Irsay was firm when he said "just because his physician cleared him, does not mean that he has had a physical and can play QB for the Colts" or something like that. It wasn't rude, but it was firm and fair. Yeah, your doc says you're OK...but you have to be more than able to be on a field.
Old 02-08-2012   #137
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 3178 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

Mister Manning could never succeed in Kubiak's offense. Peyton likes to change plays at the line of scrimmage and call plays on the quick count—good strategies that Kubiak won't permit.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012   #138
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24999 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegara View Post
Mister Manning could never succeed in Kubiak's offense. Peyton likes to change plays at the line of scrimmage and call plays on the quick count—good strategies that Kubiak won't permit.
This is the silliest notion I've heard. I don't think Peyton to Houston is happening either, but to suggest that Manning couldn't succeed in this offense is flat out foolish. The guy is a 1st ballot future HOF'er. He was given the reigns to the offense to an extent in Indy, but trust me if he was here Kubiak would give him the freedom to make adjustments in this offense as well.

Having an offensive mind like Peyton being able to read the defense, and check out of a bad play is a blessing. Not a curse.

Last edited by Texn4life; 02-09-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012   #139
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This thread needs a dose of reality:

or

curtesy of somethingawful
Chief Forehead gets a +1

...but if you do a Manning/Toro pic, I swear I'll hand out my first ever neg rep
Old 02-08-2012   #140
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...why I oughta...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read