Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-30-2012   #1
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans rated most desirable destination among Senior-Bowl Players

"If you could pick the NFL team that drafts you, what team would you choose?

Responses: Texans 4 votes, Falcons 3, Steelers 3, Raiders 3 (19 teams received at least one vote).
http://www.examiner.com/houston-texa...le-destination
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012   #2
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans rated most desirable destination among Senior-Bowl Players

No state tax, hot women, great weather a couple days out of the year, whats not to love about Houston.

Besides in Texas, and its not in Southern Oklahoma like the Cowboys are!!!
Old 01-30-2012   #3
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235719 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
No state tax, hot women, great weather a couple days out of the year, whats not to love about Houston.

^And hot women.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012   #4
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post

Responses: Texans 4 votes, Falcons 3, Steelers 3, Raiders 3 (19 teams received at least one vote).
I didn't read the article, but why would anyone pick the Raiders?
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012   #5
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You forgot skeeters and very large kookarachas.
Old 01-30-2012   #6
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It is worth noting that players' game checks are subject to the tax code of the state the game was played in. So, only the number of games played in state income tax-free states are not subject to state income tax. In 2012, for example, Texans players will have to pay state income tax on 6 of their game checks (@IND, @NEP, @NYJ, @DEN, @CHI, and @DET).

Regarding the article, let's not forget this little snippet:
Quote:
Let's just not tell anyone that there were three Aggies (Randy Bullock, Jeff Fuller, Tony Jerod-Eddie) and three Longhorns (Keenan Robinson, Kheeston Randall, Emmanuel Acho) on the South roster and it's quite possible that's where most if not all of those votes came from.
Old 01-30-2012   #7
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
It is worth noting that players' game checks are subject to the tax code of the state the game was played in. So, only the number of games played in state income tax-free states are not subject to state income tax. In 2012, for example, Texans players will have to pay state income tax on 6 of their game checks (@IND, @NEP, @NYJ, @DEN, @CHI, and @DET).

Really ? Sure ? I thought the taxpayers place of residence (domicile) was the determining factor about the taxability of income for state income tax purposes ? Obviously it's all subject to federal income taxes.
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-30-2012   #8
Kthx
All Pro

Section: Bar Table
Rep Power: 8621 Kthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah I am pretty sure that isn't true. If I work in Texas and my job has me driving to Kansas or Louisiana to drop off a load, I don't have to figure out how many hours of my pay were in LA or KS to pay the state.

But also.. the Texans are an up and coming team, I think it will be easy to recruit this offseason if we have the money for it.
Kthx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012   #9
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How does that compare to other states that were represented there?

How do we stack up percentage wise?

If the only votes for Texans came Texas college players then we have 4 out of 6 guys that want to stay in the state of Texas and play for the Texans (not the cowboys)...

What percentage of other guys from other states wanted to stay in that state and play for a specific team in that state?

Basically, my point is...so what?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012   #10
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthx View Post
Yeah I am pretty sure that isn't true. If I work in Texas and my job has me driving to Kansas or Louisiana to drop off a load, I don't have to figure out how many hours of my pay were in LA or KS to pay the state.

But also.. the Texans are an up and coming team, I think it will be easy to recruit this offseason if we have the money for it.
I work all over the country and nowadays, if you work in a state, you pay state taxes to that state. You get most of it, if not all, back when you file your taxes.
Several years ago, I used to be able to fill out a waiver showing that I resided in Texas and they wouldn't hold out a state income tax for me. The POS lawyers finally got around to closing that loophole.
Hell, in '09 I got an IOU from California for taxes paid in '08. I finally got the money, but it took a while.

As far as recruiting FA's, we have no money to pay them. Regardless of anything else, most FA's want you to show them the money. Some might be interested in Houston because we'll be regarded as a team with a good shot at winning the SB. Some FA's value that over gobs of cash.
Old 01-30-2012   #11
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Really ? Sure ? I thought the taxpayers place of residence (domicile) was the determining factor about the taxability of income for state income tax purposes ? Obviously it's all subject to federal income taxes.
Good article on it here.
Quote:
When the Cliff Lee saga reached its apex last month, a new type of article began to sprout up across the web. Instead of analyzing how Lee projected to perform and comparing his worth to the offers from the Rangers and Yankees, some writers began to calculate which offer would actually prove more favorable given the tax rates of the cities and states involved. Based on the tax codes of different jurisdictions it stood to reason that Lee might actually be able to take home more net compensation in an offer that, on the surface, looked to pay less in salary than another. I found this type of analysis intriguing since, by day, I am an accountant for a mid-sized firm in the Philadelphia suburbs. Naturally, articles that marry my two careers are right up my alley, but given the general confusion that arose from many of these pieces, I felt it prudent to do some research of my own and provide a primer of sorts on what is known as the “jock tax,” as well as some key components of how players are taxed.

For starters, what is the jock tax? To answer, we must take a trip back to 1991, when Michael Jordan and his Chicago Bulls beat the Lakers for the NBA championship. When it became known how much money Jordan stood to receive just from winning the title alone, the state of California decided it made sense to tax his earnings. After all, he earned that money while playing in California, and even though he wasn’t a resident of that state, the Franchise Tax Board felt that his non-resident income earned should be taxable to their benefit. Soon thereafter, Jordan received a tax bill from California. In retaliatory fashion, the Illinois Department of Revenue began sending tax bills to athletes from California who played in Illinois, a tax that became known as “Michael Jordan’s Revenge.” Suffice to say, it was not long before many other states and even local jurisdictions got in on the act.

The Jock Tax was given its name based on the principle that states tend to tax non-resident athletes earning income in their territory. Technically, the tax on non-resident income applies to everyone working out of state, but athletes tend to make more money and their salaries and schedules are out in the open for everyone to see. It isn’t the most difficult thing in the world to determine how much tax Chase Utley owes from road games if we know when he is there, how long he was there, his salary, and the tax rates of the states and cities involved. As I will explain below, the actual process can be tricky given the lack of a uniform code across the state and local jurisdictions, but the major pieces of information fueling the calculation are readily available.

Essentially, an athlete is liable for taxes in two primary states: his home team state, and his state of residency. Someone on the Diamondbacks who meets residency criteria in Georgia would be liable for state taxes in both Arizona and Georgia. Some states, like Texas, Florida, and Washington, do not levy a personal income tax, which is one of the main reasons athletes tend to flock to those cities. When the athlete travels to play a team on the road he is liable for taxes on income earned while in those states. The tax is based on a pro-rated portion of the player’s salary, which can be arrived at through the games played method or through what are known as duty days. The two methods produce different results. What makes the situation rather wonky is that duty days are not uniformly defined.

In summary, players are liable for taxes to their state of residency and the home state of their employing team, as well as to the states in which they earn income as non-residents, which occurs every time they are on the road. They are taxed for per diems and tickets left at the gate, and though it might seem like the various non-resident income taxes wash out for every player, it is certainly possible given the difference between the duty days or games methods, and the actual rates of the “road cities” for a player to incur more tax than he would in another situation. Determining what Cliff Lee would take home in net pay given the state and city taxes for New York and Philadelphia—Texas does not have a state tax—is certainly an interesting way to attack a hot topic from a different angle, and hopefully this information will help clear up confusion regarding taxation in baseball.
Given the relatively short schedule, the lack of a state income tax is a bigger deal in football (especially for a Texans player who plays two games against teams in Tennessee and Florida who also don't have state income taxes) than it would be in basketball and, especially, baseball, but it is true that a athlete for a Texas team does have to pay state income tax on at least some of his game checks.

Last edited by nero THE zero; 01-31-2012 at 08:43 AM.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012   #12
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Jake Johannsen on taxes:

"So the accountant, he has my taxes, he has my information, for like two weeks or so. And then he mails me the packet of all the forms filled out, which is like that thick (fingers held apart) -- no exaggeration -- because every state I work in, I have to file a tax return, which is (audience groans) I know! It's ridiculous! I'm not, thank you for the sympathy, I'm just saying, I feel like I should be able to pay California, where I live, and then they should square up with the other states. When you get mugged by a gang of guys, you don't have to pay each individual guy. That's a service that they provide."
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012   #13
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Or maybe they said that because the coaches from Houston were there and they aint gonna say Green Bay because who wants to live there?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012   #14
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Or maybe they said that because the coaches from Houston were there and they aint gonna say Green Bay because who wants to live there?
The Texans coaches were coaching the Pro Bowl.

The Vikings and Redskins coaches coached the Senior Bowl.
Old 01-31-2012   #15
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Texans coaches were coaching the Pro Bowl.

The Vikings and Redskins coaches coached the Senior Bowl.
Yeah, I just realized that we were talking Senior Bowl.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012   #16
Ranger Tom
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13211 Ranger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respected

There are nine teams that got zero votes. I don't suppose we know which ones they are?
Ranger Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

So, what does that mean?

We're "viewed" as the Falcons, Steelers, & Raiders?

Would have been nice if the other teams were the Patriots, Packers, Steelers, Ravens......
Old 02-18-2012   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Deleted

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read