Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-31-2012   #41
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: VY wants to come home

Man turn VY into a WR then I would say yes but he isn't a QB.
Old 01-31-2012   #42
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107220 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think he can play QB but I still like VY. I hated him when he was a tit (as in Titan) but I was a fan of his at UT. I never wanted us to draft him (I didn't and still don't think he is pro-QB material) but it was cool to hear him say "we" talking about the Texans.

Pass.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012   #43
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

My knee jerk reaction is "not just no, but Hell NO!"

But then I remembered that Texans staff rehab'ed Matty HotTub (who was BMOC on a larger stage (USC) than U-T and, like Young, had the ego to match) by making him hit the books and work on his game. Too bad we only have one half of football to see how the finished product turned out. Maybe he was transformed. Maybe not. Something tells me that we may never find out (I think Leinart is gone this off-season).

But back to Young. I just don't sense humility in VY... meaning the sense, from him, that he's still got more work to do - learn to read defenses, work on his accuracy, learn to be a cog in someone's offense and not try to be the whole show by himself - in order to earn that starting job he, apparently, still thinks someone should GIVE him.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012   #44
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

But back to Young. I just don't sense humility in VY... meaning the sense, from him, that he's still got more work to do - learn to read defenses, work on his accuracy, learn to be a cog in someone's offense and not try to be the whole show by himself - in order to earn that starting job he, apparently, still thinks someone should GIVE him.
He had an opportunity to show that he's actually improved as a QB last year. Personally, I don't think he helped his case very much at all. If anyone is looking to add VY to their roster, it is as a back up/developmental project. With the time he has in the league, it will be a few teams if any that are ready to invest time in developing him as a project.
Old 01-31-2012   #45
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 147070 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

I do think tyhe guy can play. In fact I think he's a better qb than Tebow. The problem with vy is that he is not stable and he's not adept at reading defenses. Correction - the biggest problems for vy are that he is not stable and he's not adept at reading defenses.
Old 01-31-2012   #46
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 91895 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Vince Young has all the physical tools and his athleticism is off the charts. He wills teams to victory the same way Tebow does. However I still wouldnt take him. Just listening to that interview you can tell he has yet to grow up. "Imagining #10 handing off or throwing to Andre." Really? Hey VY, how about you say something like "I would just like to come in and help this team anyway that I can." Try that line instead just assuming you would come in and start.

I would love for a mature Vince to come in and put on a Texans jersey. I would love nothing more than to have Kubiak, Phillips, and Young all being from Houston taking our team and winning a superbowl.

But Vince is being stupid, again. You know what it is? Vince doesn't have any friends, not any real friends. A real friend would have slapped him upside his head and told him how dumb he is and how he needs to straighten up. He is probably surrounded by yes men who will leave once all the money is gone.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012   #47
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not a VY guy. I would only give him the vet minimum. I would think he would be good as a back up in our system as a PAP mobile QB problem is Houston fans would want to throw Schuab under the bus the 1st bad game he had in favor of VY and this team does not need the distraction. VY needs to be on a team where he has a great QB coach and a strong starting QB. Kubiak could help VY thing is VY doesnt seem to wanna put in the work to become a good QB he wants to use his god given talent only and that is not good enough.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-01-2012   #48
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
O.K. guys here's the mathematical breakdown on the probability that VY will play for the Texans next year. Hang with me because this took me a while to come up with (10 mins actually).

Suppose you have a differential equation: y= 1/x^2 + C (C is a constant and in this case will end being VY in a bit)

So let's say we have an initial value for the function y(0)=VY. I chose 0 because I couldn't associate any other number with VY.
Now we have a problem with an initial value of y(0)= VY and a 1st order differential equation of y= 1/x^+c

Next, we plug and chug....

VY= 1/0+C
VY= 0+C
C=VY
Therefore, y= 1/x^2 +VY is a solution to this problem but what's the domain and range of this problem you say? What's the probability that VY is a Texan? Well it's (-∞,∞).

P.S. This was not done seriously and I'm not a mathematician. Just for fun but if you can improve on it go for it!
Depending on which finger you used, VY could be number 1.
Old 02-01-2012   #49
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 39889 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
He can't throw, he's dumber than a bag of hammers and he's got the emotional stability of a 13 year old girl.

Oh, and he's delusional, because he thinks he's an elite QB and should have a starting job.

The Texans are an organization that has historically, and proudly I think, steered clear of any player that can be labeled as "Hot Mess."
I think you missed the biggest reason he didn't become a quality NFL starter: work ethic. He doesn't have it. Everyone knows he can't throw yet he doesn't take the time to really work on it. He doesn't show up early for practice, stay late, and focus entirely on becoming a better passer. He has a ton of talent, but he doesn't have the desire to put in the work. EVERYONE in the NFL is talented. The ones who stick around aren't the ones who are the best athletes, its the guys who WANT it the most.

Look at Todd Marinovich: all the talent in the world, but no desire. In contrast look at Drew Brees. Much smaller, not as much natural talent, but he wanted it. He lived, ate, slept, and breathed football. He worked on his game to the point where he is one of the best in the league. Or let's look at a guy like Manning. A ton of talent, and yet he worked hard on his game. Did you ever hear of Peyton not giving his all in practice? He would stay LATE and work on receiving routes with the WRs, TE, and RBs.

Young didn't make it for lack of talent, he didn't make it becuase he wasn't willing to put in the work required to become a star or even a starter.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012   #50
1bigfan13
Thundering Up

Rep Power: 0 1bigfan13 is a quality contributor and well respected1bigfan13 is a quality contributor and well respected1bigfan13 is a quality contributor and well respected1bigfan13 is a quality contributor and well respected1bigfan13 is a quality contributor and well respected1bigfan13 is a quality contributor and well respected1bigfan13 is a quality contributor and well respected1bigfan13 is a quality contributor and well respected1bigfan13 is a quality contributor and well respected1bigfan13 is a quality contributor and well respected1bigfan13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Pass. I'd rather continue developing Yates.

I like his moxie. It bit us in the arse in the playoff game against the Ravens, but I like that he wasn't afraid to challenge the future Hall of Famer, Ed Reed.

He just needs to learn when to pick his spots. That will come with experience. Hopefully.

I like Vince Young but my perception of him is that he struggles reading defenses and he doesn't strike me as a hard worker. Plus he has a fragile psyche, which is surprising considering how clutch he was at UT.

OT: I just Googled fragile psyche and the first thing that popped up was an article about the Dallas Cowboys. Not surprising at all.
1bigfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012   #51
2BCF
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24608 2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanred View Post
vince young has all the physical tools and his athleticism is off the charts. He wills teams to victory the same way tebow does. However i still wouldnt take him. Just listening to that interview you can tell he has yet to grow up. "imagining #10 handing off or throwing to andre." really? Hey vy, how about you say something like "i would just like to come in and help this team anyway that i can." try that line instead just assuming you would come in and start.

I would love for a mature vince to come in and put on a texans jersey. I would love nothing more than to have kubiak, phillips, and young all being from houston taking our team and winning a superbowl.

But vince is being stupid, again. You know what it is? Vince doesn't have any friends, not any real friends. A real friend would have slapped him upside his head and told him how dumb he is and how he needs to straighten up. He is probably surrounded by yes men who will leave once all the money is gone.
^^^this
2BCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012   #52
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 36501 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
I am not a VY guy. I would only give him the vet minimum. I would think he would be good as a back up in our system as a PAP mobile QB problem is Houston fans would want to throw Schuab under the bus the 1st bad game he had in favor of VY and this team does not need the distraction. VY needs to be on a team where he has a great QB coach and a strong starting QB. Kubiak could help VY thing is VY doesnt seem to wanna put in the work to become a good QB he wants to use his god given talent only and that is not good enough.
I'm not really a VY guy either - and I don't think he commands that much on the free market. I would also give him the minimum, and see how much he really wants to be part of the system in Houston. Whilst our QB play, and our offense looked great for the most part last year - there are still times where the system isn't clicking, and we could do with something a little bit different to keep the defense honest.

I think Leinart has grown up a heck of a lot, and can only assume he therefore improved as a QB (from the very limited time we saw of him this year and the reports coming from the team I would say this was shown). I don't think he'll be sitting behind Schaub for another year, and somewhere will give him a better prospect of being a starter. I'd be quite happy with Yates and Young being QB 2a and 2b next year, to cover for injuries, and any gameplan alterations that pop up through the season.
Old 02-03-2012   #53
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Poor VY. Guess he lost the keys to "his house"? Or was he locked out?

The Texans have done well with their current "no idiot prima donna" rules, so there is no point in making exceptions now.
Old 02-03-2012   #54
c10x
Veteran

Rep Power: 360 c10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
First of all, he's never been a "good" QB. Not even in college. Great athlete, but not QB. The off-season before they won the Rose Bowl they were talking about a position change with him. WR if I remember right.

Secondly, there isn't an "in thing" about hating on a hometown boy for Houstonians. This guy still gets plenty of love. It's just that those of us who were trying to tell folks this guy isn't all that got bombarded by the VY lovers. This guy was glorified beyond anything you can imagine. The media, the UT fans, even Mattress Mac was sniffing his jock and got his panties all in a wad when the Texans passed on him. Think Tebow times 50, at least around here. His ROY is a joke and probably a result of that hype.

Thirdly, his QB record doesn't reflect on him. He was on a good team. Defense and a great run game is what won football games in Tennessee during his time there. From 1999-2001, Trent Dilfer had a QB record of 22-4, including 4-0 in the post-season. That doesn't mean he was a great QB. And he wasn't. But he did STUDY the game enough to know how to play the QB position. That's something that VY has not done. He thought he could get by on atleticism alone. That doesn't work in this league. And until he does do the study required to play this game, I'll take a Kolb, Cassel and Orton over him eight days a week. And until he does get the mental part of this game down (if he ever does) he'll never be more than what he is now. A backup looking for a team to sit on the sidelines with from year to year.
You don't know what you are talking about. It was never even for a second mentioned at UT that he would be moved from QB to WR before his JR season. Not even remotely true.

He absolutely was a great QB in college. Anyone who says otherwise has an axe to grind.

As for the running game - have you considered that when coupled with Chris Johnson, thats what made the run game work? Similar to McGahee and Tebow? McGahee didn't just all of a sudden remember how to be a great running back... LBs have to pause for a split second to figure out who has the ball, and thats all it takes in the NFL. McGahee was not special with Ortan at QB, and neither was Chris Johnson this year with Hasselback, or last year with Collins.
Old 02-03-2012   #55
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Let VY come home....

Plenty of ditches need digging in the Bayou City...

'bout all he is good for...

That is until he quits on the ditch digging crew....

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012   #56
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 87188 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Sure come on home Vince, the Texans need another good jock strap cleaner
Old 02-03-2012   #57
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33797 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think there is anything wrong with improving the depth at the quarterback position. As we've seen this past season -- the desperate measures this team took by signing Garcia, Delhomme and even Clemmons before he was released. I would view Vince Young as a healthy competition for T.J. Yates as the backup. Young is more than talented and experienced enough to beat out Yates, IMO.

The main question is what to do with Matty Checkdown, aka Matt Leinart? He's a useless roster spot to me but he has one year left on his contract. I'm guessing he can be an easy release. But that's an ecstatic "yes sir" when it comes to signing Vince Young. An absolute no brainer to me.
Old 02-03-2012   #58
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Poor VY. Guess he lost the keys to "his house"? Or was he locked out?

The Texans have done well with their current "no idiot prima donna" rules, so there is no point in making exceptions now.
A voice of reason. Thank you DB.

MSR....

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012   #59
Bulluck53
All Pro

Rep Power: 1628 Bulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
He can't throw
I think this is a misconception associated with VY. From his time here he proved that he can make all the necessary throws. He actually had a very nice deep ball with plenty of pace and accuracy on it. His problem is that he makes terrible decisions because he can't read a defense. He tries to zip a pass into tight coverage or decides to loft one over the top of the defense without noticing a deep safety over the middle. Those types of situations and how he handled them were his demise here. His physical ability really shouldn't be questioned, IMO.

He is a complete headcase and, because of that, he will never be a consistent starter in the league. If he couldn't handle the pressure in Nashville he really can't in any other NFL market.
Bulluck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012   #60
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 91895 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulluck53 View Post
I think this is a misconception associated with VY. From his time here he proved that he can make all the necessary throws. He actually had a very nice deep ball with plenty of pace and accuracy on it. His problem is that he makes terrible decisions. He tries to zip a pass into tight coverage or decides to loft one over the top of the defense without noticing a deep safety over the middle.
So does this make TJ Yates the white Vince Young?

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read