Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-02-2012   #121
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Film study - Mario Williams vs. Colts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cush View Post
They always do a little piece on Mario at the beginning of every Texans game which I don't have on my computer. I also don't have episodes of NFL Live on my computer. But doing a quick search on youtube I found a couple..

Tom Jackson breaks down Mario's game. (This will probably be discredited because this was when NFL Live was big on showing Madden simulations)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzdJzOUdQo8

Gary Kubiak talking about Mario as part of the Top 100 list. (This will probably be discredited because its Gary). It also contains Mario fighting off a TE and then spin moving the LT for a sack at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gHwQSraaPY

I'll look for more later and post them if I can find any
Yeah, he was looking very good back in 2007 and 2008... Though, you are right, the video game highlights don't really do it for me. Sorry.

That "spin move" is no more a spin move than rolling out of bed is. It is an edge rush and after the QB steps forward, Mario turns towards the line of scrimmage to chase him down. Good play. good effort. It says nothing about his variety of pass rush moves though.

You guys are so desperate to hunt for evidence. We are talking about a 6 year starter who earned almost $20 million last year. If I acknowledge that it is likely that over the course of his six years in the NFL he may have, on occasion, showcased more than one move, then will you be able to move on?

By the way, I wouldn't give a monster contract to Julius Peppers either. I know Mario has had many very good moments. He has had many fewer since midway through the '09 season though. And, very few against good offensive lines (I actually can't recall any nor have I seen any presented in these highlights). He's been great against Indy in Houston the past three seasons, that is true. When Mario is playing for some NFC team, every time I watch him play, I will fondly remember his contribution to this day in 2010 (the beginning of the end for Peyton):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuQOe8KQLlQ

I'd love the guy if he had Antonio's motor and could stay healthy. Unfortunately, I've seen nothing since 2008 to make me believe that will be the case. And, I'm not sure how a $30-$40 million signing bonus is going to help those things happen.
Old 02-02-2012   #122
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Yeah, he was looking very good back in 2007 and 2008... Though, you are right, the video game highlights don't really do it for me. Sorry.

That "spin move" is no more a spin move than rolling out of bed is. It is an edge rush and after the QB steps forward, Mario turns towards the line of scrimmage to chase him down. Good play. good effort. It says nothing about his variety of pass rush moves though.

You guys are so desperate to hunt for evidence. We are talking about a 6 year starter who earned almost $20 million last year. If I acknowledge that it is likely that over the course of his six years in the NFL he may have, on occasion, showcased more than one move, then will you be able to move on?

By the way, I wouldn't give a monster contract to Julius Peppers either. I know Mario has had many very good moments. He has had many fewer since midway through the '09 season though. And, very few against good offensive lines (I actually can't recall any nor have I seen any presented in these highlights). He's been great against Indy in Houston the past three seasons, that is true. When Mario is playing for some NFC team, every time I watch him play, I will fondly remember his contribution to this day in 2010 (the beginning of the end for Peyton):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuQOe8KQLlQ

I'd love the guy if he had Antonio's motor and could stay healthy. Unfortunately, I've seen nothing since 2008 to make me believe that will be the case. And, I'm not sure how a $30-$40 million signing bonus is going to help those things happen.
Shaq doesn't need to have many moves to be a dominant force inside on offense.
Jabbar didn't have many moves either.
The same goes for several great centers or power forwards in the NBA.

The results is what you should be after.

For example, back in 09 when PFF still had free membership, some of us on this board had seen the numbers they recorded.

Mario ranked third with a combined of some 90 (sacks, QB Hurries, QB Hits, QB Pressures.)

Personally, I'm not sure if they get all the situations correctly, but even if the numbers change somewhat.

If I remember correctly, I told Hou-Tex that I set a number for Smith at 48 to achieve in order to earn his keep. He did a little better than that.
Then he earned his real worth in 2010.
He didn't play as well in 2011, but I'm satisfied with Smith because I've stated last season (in 2010) that it will be the Texans' turn to draw interest on the Smith's deal.

As a guy who had noticed all of these things from Smith, I've also said that Mario had a very good year in 2010 until his last game of that season (against Philly) after which they had to shut him down for the year.
And I'm saying that Mario also had a very good season in 2011, and the new injury was a fluke injury that doesn't have any more chance of recurrence for Mario as it is for any healthy player who had never suffered from it.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012   #123
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cush View Post
Here's a few more..

Robert Mathis talking about the need to focus multiple blockers on Mario

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-top100...Mario-Williams

Warren Sapp with a breakdown of Mario, shows outside and insides moves.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...-succeed-in-34

NFL Network's Bucky Brooks with an interactive scouting reports that touches on how he uses his hands in a couple of ways

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...convert-to-olb
Thanks for all the links, Cush.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read