Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-30-2012   #41
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Film study - Mario Williams vs. Colts

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
"Because I don't think Mario Williams plays intense enough in my opinion, and because Wade Phillips used these words to describe what he wants for his defense, I am concluding that Wade does not want Mario Williams on his defense. These are facts. I am dalemurphy."

Do you now see why you get ragged on for your opinions?
I never said my opinion is fact. I have argued my point and asserted my conclusion. I haven't attacked any of your characters nor have I even asserted that your opinions don't have credence. I even acknowledge the possibility that Mario is better than I think he is.

Still, people are horribly offended. My guess is that you are all worried enough that I may be on to something but don't want it to be true. You know, shoot the messenger to avoid the bad news.

I have never argued that Mario isn't a productive pass rusher nor have I argued that he is incapable of a 14 or 15 sack season. In this system and if he can stay healthy, I believe it is very possible. My argument is that his motor is inconsistent, he does not do well against the better offensive linemen because of his dearth of pass rush moves, and his presence on the field does not make this defense better. I believe the versatility of Barwin and Reed at the OLB position more than makes up for less sack production. Therefore, I believe it is unwise to allow Mario to consume 10% of the team's cap when that money could be used more wisely.

I don't understand what is so controversial about these opinions.
Old 01-30-2012   #42
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
NEVER! He is single blocked by high school WR's or VY every play of every game!
My friend says he saw him get blown over by a strong gust of wind. True story.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012   #43
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would love to see 90 back. I also understand that sometimes, for the good of the team, good players have to walk. See also, Vonta Leach. When you are good, you lose people. I think somehow we will get a decent contract in place and Mario will be a texan, and I'll welcome it. You dont find players as flexable as he is every day.
Mario's inflexibility as an OLB is a central point for not keeping him. For a DE in a 3-4 he is very flexible. However, Barwin and Reed are capable of doing many more things as an OLB than Mario can. Barwin, particularly, did some really cool stuff exchanging roles with Cushing on passing downs. One of the most effective blitzes this year had Barwin dropping into the middle zone in a cover 2 style zone from his OLB position while Cushing blitzed from the ILB position. These are the kinds of things this defense can do without Mario that they have less flexibilitiy to do with him.
Old 01-30-2012   #44
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
LOL, y'all need to stop feeding the troll. Just completely ignore and disregard anything he has to say on Mario Williams.
I'm not a troll. This issue is worth harping on because it is the biggest personnel issue this organization has ever faced and it will have a dramatic impact on the configuration of this team moving forward... a team that is poised to go on numerous Superbowl runs the next few years. How Mario is handled will go a long way in determining the length and quality of that run.
Old 01-30-2012   #45
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Mario's inflexibility as an OLB is a central point for not keeping him. For a DE in a 3-4 he is very flexible. However, Barwin and Reed are capable of doing many more things as an OLB than Mario can. Barwin, particularly, did some really cool stuff exchanging roles with Cushing on passing downs. One of the most effective blitzes this year had Barwin dropping into the middle zone in a cover 2 style zone from his OLB position while Cushing blitzed from the ILB position. These are the kinds of things this defense can do without Mario that they have less flexibilitiy to do with him.
If Mario is on the field you can still do that with Barwin.

Except now you have Mario and Cushing coming.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012   #46
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not a troll. This issue is worth harping on because it is the biggest personnel issue this organization has ever faced and it will have a dramatic impact on the configuration of this team moving forward... a team that is poised to go on numerous Superbowl runs the next few years. How Mario is handled will go a long way in determining the length and quality of that run.
Yeah but you have 5 separate threads in the past 12 months about Mario. We get it. You dont think he is worth the $$ to the Texans.

Quote:
By the way, we can't trade Mario. We sign him to a long term deal or he signs somewhere else. I'm hoping for the latter.
This is just not true. Why would you even write that?

From the Just re-watched NO, Pitt, Balt, and... thread.

Quote:
This is simply not true. Show me the double-teams. This is pure fiction. Rarely did Mario get double-teamed. Regarding Smith, his drop in production may have something to do with his injured shoulder... just a thought.
I enjoy how you defend Smith by saying his drop in production may be because he is injured, yet Mario never gets defended by you.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012   #47
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Yeah but you have 5 separate threads in the past 12 months about Mario. We get it. You dont think he is worth the $$ to the Texans.

This is just not true. Why would you even write that?

I enjoy how you defend Smith by saying his drop in production may be because he is injured, yet Mario never gets defended by you.

The only way Mario can be traded is if we franchise tag him. We can not franchise tag him because we don't have the $17-$22 million of room under the cap to do so. Therefore, we can't trade him. His contract is expired. We have no rights to him.

If Antonio Smith ends the next two seasons on I.R. and then the market expectations are for him to receive a contract north of $10 million per year, I promise you I will desperately want the Texans to let him walk.
Old 01-30-2012   #48
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

Yes, that is true. However, with Reed on the field you can do similar things on either side and you can effectively cover TEs and RBs in the flat with Reed or Barwin. Mario is a one trick pony (strong side run defender with an overpowering bull rush) and I believe that handicaps the flexibility in Wade's 3-4 defense. Understand, I don't think Reed is better. My point is that the flexibility without Mario helps compensate for the loss of his talent. If I am right about that then a 4-3 team will (and should) offer Mario more money than he is worth to the Texans.
Old 01-30-2012   #49
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The only way Mario can be traded is if we franchise tag him. We can not franchise tag him because we don't have the $17-$22 million of room under the cap to do so. Therefore, we can't trade him. His contract is expired. We have no rights to him.

If Antonio Smith ends the next two seasons on I.R. and then the market expectations are for him to receive a contract north of $10 million per year, I promise you I will desperately want the Texans to let him walk.
That doesn't matter until just before the start of the league year when the salary cap is enforced. Somewhere around the 4th preseason game is when all teams must be under the cap. In the meantime, teams can re-work deals and sign players and go over the cap while they get things in order. It is possible to do a tag and trade deal, it's just difficult given that it is a 16.56 million or more gamble on him. He may sign the tender ASAP and force the team's hand, or he may be open to working something out. Not really sure what his relations with Rick Smith is like, so I won't speculate. They may play golf with eachother every Tuesday.
Old 01-30-2012   #50
texanchris
Veteran

Rep Power: 3782 texanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respected

2013 texans free agents:Connor Barwin, Duane Brown, Matt Schaub, Shaun Cody, Glover Quin, Rashad Butler, Antoine caldwell, James Casey, Brice Mccain, Troy Nolan, and Tim Jamison

2014 free agents: Brian Cushing, Antonio Smith, Wade Smith, Eric Wintston, Earl Mitchell, Darryl Sharpton, and Ben Tate.

As much as i want to keep Williams, having that much money tied down to 1 players does more harm than good. So many of the Texans key players will be free agents in the next couple years and we won't be able to resign them all. Mario Williams is a great player when healthy and when he wants to play but we have 13 starters becoming free agents in the next couple years. While Brooks Reed hasn't been amazing replacing Mario, he's done a serviceable job. We have to look at the texans future free agents because resigning Mario will definitely affect how many Texans Rick Smith re-signs.
texanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012   #51
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153493 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

I did say that if the defense didn't lose anything I would be ok with Mario being traded, and I meant it. If you do this, you have to get a rotational guy in the draft or FA. Wont really be a FA one avaliable.
That's not correct.

If we lose Mario, we'll be looking for a dynamic edge rusher. That's a first round guy. Maybe we can go through a slew of UDFAs & lower round draft picks to try & find someone to fill that role.... like the Steelers did with Harrison & Woodley. But we'll be looking for years (maybe) to find the very guy we're letting go.

That's what doesn't make sense to me.

I have no doubt in my mind that Mario would stay healthier with a rotation like we've got now.
Old 01-30-2012   #52
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
That doesn't matter until just before the start of the league year when the salary cap is enforced. Somewhere around the 4th preseason game is when all teams must be under the cap. In the meantime, teams can re-work deals and sign players and go over the cap while they get things in order. It is possible to do a tag and trade deal, it's just difficult given that it is a 16.56 million or more gamble on him. He may sign the tender ASAP and force the team's hand, or he may be open to working something out. Not really sure what his relations with Rick Smith is like, so I won't speculate. They may play golf with eachother every Tuesday.
That is correct. I can not imagine the Texans front office would make the kind of gamble that you are proposing. If the Texans did tender Mario, they could get stuck with his contract and have to obliterate the team as a result. You could argue that the Texans could still trade him for cheap, but if the rest of the NFL knew the gamble the Texans were making (which they would), the other teams could hold them hostage and actually demand more compensation simply to take Mario off their hands. Not to mention, very few teams could handle that dollar figure on next year's cap. Therefore, few would be able to trade for him. As you said, Mario, knowing the position the Texans (or any other team who assumed that contract) would be in with that franchise tag, could demand a monster deal simply to blackmail the team to get out from under that cap number.
Old 01-30-2012   #53
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153493 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

Don't fall for it. Mario can & has dropped into zone coverage & does as good a job as any of our LBs...... he's done it from day one. I've commented (& I know my opinion doesn't count as much as dalemurphy's) that he understands zone coverage better than any of our LBs.
Old 01-30-2012   #54
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would love to see 90 back. I also understand that sometimes, for the good of the team, good players have to walk. See also, Vonta Leach. When you are good, you lose people. I think somehow we will get a decent contract in place and Mario will be a texan, and I'll welcome it. You dont find players as flexable as he is every day.
^^^^
This

The Texans did have the #2 ranked defense without MW for much of the yr.

Whatever Wade thinks should be done is the way my sentiments lean.

BTW, with MW getting hurt so early in the yr it kinda limits 76's ability to look at film.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012   #55
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Don't fall for it. Mario can & has dropped into zone coverage & does as good a job as any of our LBs...... he's done it from day one. I've commented (& I know my opinion doesn't count as much as dalemurphy's) that he understands zone coverage better than any of our LBs.
How do you know this with so little film of MW playing in Wades 5-2 defense?
Old 01-30-2012   #56
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Personally, I don't understand how anyone can defend Smith, but not like Mario.

Yeah, Mario costs more, but he's worth it & since 2009 it should have been easy to see. Teams run at Antonio Smith... they don't run at Mario. Teams can cut back & be successful when Antonio has contain, not so when Mario is on the backside. Mario finishes, Antonio gets close. I like Antonio, I think he's a fine 3-4 DE. But you can't pay a guy on hustle & you can't build your team around it either. If those guys weren't getting to the QB, or the RB for a loss.... you don't have a very good front 7.

If I'm going to replace either of those two players, it wouldn't be the one that finishes. It wouldn't be the one who has sacked Manning more than any other single player in the last 6 years. It would not be the only guy I saw single handedly take Rothlisberger down, twice in the same game.

If you've got two edge rushers like Barwin, maybe. If you think Reed can be that guy..... maybe. But I'm just not seeing it. Not yet.
Old 01-30-2012   #57
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
How do you know this with so little film of MW playing in Wades 5-2 defense?
Mario has dropped into coverage several times from a 4-3 front. He backpedals well, read the QB well, tracks the deeper guy in his zone well, while keeping the under guy in front of him.

Since day one, he's been dropping into zones & does a good job.

I've never seen him cover a TE or RB one-on-one, but that is not what was questioned, dalemurphy clearly said zone & Mario plays zone very well.
Old 01-30-2012   #58
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Thanks for the answer,

I will not dispute it. You've obviously been watching MW dropping back into zones alot more closely than I have.

Over the last 6 yrs can you give me a guesstimate of how many times MW has dropped into zones on a per game basis?
Old 01-30-2012   #59
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Personally, I don't understand how anyone can defend Smith, but not like Mario.

Yeah, Mario costs more, but he's worth it & since 2009 it should have been easy to see. Teams run at Antonio Smith... they don't run at Mario. Teams can cut back & be successful when Antonio has contain, not so when Mario is on the backside. Mario finishes, Antonio gets close. I like Antonio, I think he's a fine 3-4 DE. But you can't pay a guy on hustle & you can't build your team around it either. If those guys weren't getting to the QB, or the RB for a loss.... you don't have a very good front 7.

If I'm going to replace either of those two players, it wouldn't be the one that finishes. It wouldn't be the one who has sacked Manning more than any other single player in the last 6 years. It would not be the only guy I saw single handedly take Rothlisberger down, twice in the same game.

If you've got two edge rushers like Barwin, maybe. If you think Reed can be that guy..... maybe. But I'm just not seeing it. Not yet.
Not saying Smith is better than MW.

But, did I see Smith get a sack in the pro bowl last night? Or was it an almost sack?
Old 01-30-2012   #60
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Not saying Smith is better than MW.

But, did I see Smith get a sack in the pro bowl last night? Or was it an almost sack?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read