Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-30-2012   #21
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Film study - Mario Williams vs. Colts

This year aside, Mario has only missed three games in his entire career.
Old 01-30-2012   #22
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Let's see, Mario is a good pass rusher and it's hard to find those. Yet he hasn't played a full season in a while and is hurt one way or the other.

Arian is an outstanding runninback that has been nothing less than exceptional. However, the avg RB shelf life of success is around 4 years and Arian has had two and one with a nagging hamstring issue.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Very true. I hope we can keep this thread as a "Mario position / on field" type of informative thread and not yet another Salary / Cap Ramifications one. Different threads, different purposes.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012   #23
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 241303 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Also, you will see that there were times they double and even triple team him.
Bingo. And that's the answer to the $64,000 question.

Great stuff, 76. Repped.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012   #24
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 46441 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
To add on to this, before missing those 3 games Mario was the only player from the '06 draft class that started every single game to that point.

Thanks a bunch 76 I always love reading your breakdowns.
Old 01-30-2012   #25
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I'm willing to pay Mario the same amount of money we pay Connor Barwin, Lucky.

My issue with Mario is not how he played vs. Indy the past few seassons. What concerns me is the way he played against New Orleans. Or, the dog of a game he had vs. San Diego last year... This isn't about statistics either. If you watch those games (and others), Mario can't be bothered to put forth effort. He doesn't chase down plays, go to the whistle, or pursue on the back side of plays like every other Texan defender does. That's not what the 2011 Texans' defense is about and that's why the Texans will cut him loose. At least, that's why they should.

Also, show me a game against a good tackle where he played well in the past three seasons... Against Miami (Jake Long), it was Barwin who beat Long for a sack, not Mario. Mario's underdeveloped catalog of pass rush moves and his frame that limits his ability to be a true speed rusher make him relatively easy prey for the better tackles in the league.
Three words. Blah. Blah. Blah. Nothing you say in any Mario Williams discusion holds any relevence. Thats a simple fact. The fact that you think Mario is more expendable to our defense than Connor Barwin says everything people need to know about your anger and aggression towards Mario. Not a single personel guy in the entire NFL would pick BArwin over Mario, and that is a simple fact.

I did say that if the defense didn't lose anything I would be ok with Mario being traded, and I ment it. If you do this, you have to get a rotational guy in the draft or FA. Wont really be a FA one avaliable. Dispite the fact that Mario stole your lunch money one time, he is one of the best defensive players we have, and its not easy to just cut bait and replace him.
Old 01-30-2012   #26
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

:
NEVER! He is single blocked by high school WR's or VY every play of every game!
Old 01-30-2012   #27
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Bingo. And that's the answer to the $64,000 question.

Great stuff, 76. Repped.
I always appreciate 76Texan's work. That doesn't mean I always agree with it.

1. Nobody every gets triple teamed. Occasionally, a player defeats a double team and then gets picked up in the backfield. Usually, however, when a player consumes three blocks it is a stunt designed to free another rusher. The Texans have run twists and stunts for years having Mario crash inside and take up as many blocks and attention as possible and looping a DT behind him to the outside. Let's not confuse those with an opposing team going into a game attempting to give him that much focus and attention. Certainly, though, Mario's physical stature and reputation will tend to draw the attention of the linemen moreso than someone like Jesse Nading.

2. Our front 7 was all over Indy that day. It wasn't just Mario. Both of Mario's sacks were a result of good defensive design, bad QB play and/or miscommunication from the Indy offense... Both his sacks were in 1 on 1 situations vs. Dallas Clark. I doubt than any of those critical of Mario would deny he is often dominant in those situations and has a very good ability to finish when given an opportunity like that.

3. Any player that will consume over 10% of the team's cap should be an irreplaceable element to the team. We can argue all we want about how good Mario is or isn't. But, he certainly is not essential for this defense to be a dominant unit. Give me quality depth and room to re-sign the rest of the team and I'll take a great defense without Mario over a great defense with Mario but a team in cap trouble heading into 2013.

Please don't bring up Andre Johnson. Anyone intellectually honest can see that the Texans offense is much more limited without him. Regardless, he is cheaper than Mario will be and is already signed for the next 6 years... making it a moot point.
Old 01-30-2012   #28
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Three words. Blah. Blah. Blah. Nothing you say in any Mario Williams discusion holds any relevence. Thats a simple fact. The fact that you think Mario is more expendable to our defense than Connor Barwin says everything people need to know about your anger and aggression towards Mario. Not a single personel guy in the entire NFL would pick BArwin over Mario, and that is a simple fact.

I did say that if the defense didn't lose anything I would be ok with Mario being traded, and I ment it. If you do this, you have to get a rotational guy in the draft or FA. Wont really be a FA one avaliable. Dispite the fact that Mario stole your lunch money one time, he is one of the best defensive players we have, and its not easy to just cut bait and replace him.

That's an interesting tactic. If someone disagrees with you, then argue that person must be wrong and their opinions aren't relevant. I love how people also quote all 32 teams' GMs and personnel people as if they know what is in their minds. I'm willing to bet that their are some NFL people that like Barwin more than Mario. Why are you so confident there isn't?

1. I'm suggesting Connor Barwin is a much better value than Mario... not a better player. That being said, I would rather have Barwin as my starting OLB in a 3-4. Going into the season, I liked the idea of Mario playing DE in a 3-4. I don't like him at OLB very much.

2. I've been pretty dead on regarding Connor Barwin. Before the season began (before he even won the starting gig over Reed), I predicted a 10+ sack season for Barwin.

By the way, we can't trade Mario. We sign him to a long term deal or he signs somewhere else. I'm hoping for the latter. Our return is the money under the cap that we get to distribute to other free agents as well as guys like Foster, Myers, Brisiel, Dreessen, and the huge group of 2013 free agents like Schaub, Barwin, Quin, Casey, Duane Brown, etc...
Old 01-30-2012   #29
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario is a beastly disruptive player

Barwin was a spot player 1st yr
then mised his 2nd yr
played every game as a starter in 2011

Reed was a rookie who know has a yr of great exp

Watt was a rookie who know has a yr of great exp

What i am trying to say we had 3 young players who got a lot of playing and played at a high level.

We have that learning year behind them and you add a Mario, an offseason next year this def is going to wreck people.

I want Mario back because I want to see what Wade wants to do with him plus with the teams I see we will be playing next year the Texans will need all thier weapons.

1. Houston Texans Home: Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans, Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins, Baltimore Ravens, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings

Away: Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans, New England Patriots, New York Jets, Denver Broncos, Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012   #30
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
Mario is a beastly disruptive player

Barwin was a spot player 1st yr
then mised his 2nd yr
played every game as a starter in 2011

Reed was a rookie who know has a yr of great exp

Watt was a rookie who know has a yr of great exp

What i am trying to say we had 3 young players who got a lot of playing and played at a high level.

We have that learning year behind them and you add a Mario, an offseason next year this def is going to wreck people.

I want Mario back because I want to see what Wade wants to do with him plus with the teams I see we will be playing next year the Texans will need all thier weapons.

1. Houston Texans Home: Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans, Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins, Baltimore Ravens, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings

Away: Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans, New England Patriots, New York Jets, Denver Broncos, Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions
Just don't be surprised if Wade doesn't want him back. He has said a lot about this defense being about "tenacity", "intensity", "effort", and "determination"... none of which are words that describe Mario on the football field, relative to the rest of the team. I think the tea leaves are out there that the Texans are not planning to make a hard run at him. My guess is they will offer him a deal nowhere near market value, and he'll reject it and end up cashing in and playing for a traditional 4-3 team.
Old 01-30-2012   #31
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Let's see, Mario is a good pass rusher and it's hard to find those. Yet he hasn't played a full season in a while and is hurt one way or the other.

Arian is an outstanding runninback that has been nothing less than exceptional. However, the avg RB shelf life of success is around 4 years and Arian has had two and one with a nagging hamstring issue.......
Exactly, let them both go and lock up Duane Brown and Chris Myers.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012   #32
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 49476 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Maybe they can get something for Andre Johnson too since he is on his last legs? Also if Texans tender Foster (restricted free agent) a 1st rd. grade & another team makes him a contract offer Texans choose not to match, Texans could add another first round pick.....

now back to film study - Mario Williams vs. Colts

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012   #33
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Quote:
That's an interesting tactic. If someone disagrees with you, then argue that person must be wrong and their opinions aren't relevant. I love how people also quote all 32 teams' GMs and personnel people as if they know what is in their minds. I'm willing to bet that their are some NFL people that like Barwin more than Mario. Why are you so confident there isn't?

1. I'm suggesting Connor Barwin is a much better value than Mario... not a better player. That being said, I would rather have Barwin as my starting OLB in a 3-4. Going into the season, I liked the idea of Mario playing DE in a 3-4. I don't like him at OLB very much.

2. I've been pretty dead on regarding Connor Barwin. Before the season began (before he even won the starting gig over Reed), I predicted a 10+ sack season for Barwin.

By the way, we can't trade Mario. We sign him to a long term deal or he signs somewhere else. I'm hoping for the latter. Our return is the money under the cap that we get to distribute to other free agents as well as guys like Foster, Myers, Brisiel, Dreessen, and the huge group of 2013 free agents like Schaub, Barwin, Quin, Casey, Duane Brown, etc...
You are the only person I feel that way about. I will argue with people and respect their opinions even if I disagree. Not you. On this topic, you are not objective. You are heavily slanted and completly blind. So yeah, I take every sentence you say with a grain of salt.

You can trade Mario if you tag him. It isn't easy, since he will have a huge cap number, but if a team wanted exclusive negotiation rights and had the cap room, it is possible.

Mario was on his way to having a dominant season before the peck injury. On pace for 20 sacks and very active in the run game. These are facts. You can mention the Saints game, where if my memory serves me no one really got after the passer and say that he 'mails it in" vs good lines. But yet ignore the fact that every other game he played he was the dominant force. But, keep posting all your video clips of the "laziest player in Texans history" and say what you will, every word you say on this subject is truley irrelevant. nad I gurantee I am not the only person who rolls their eyes in a Mario thread when they see your post.
Old 01-30-2012   #34
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You lost a lot of credibility on this issue when you started a thread about re-watching Mario disappearing in the Saints, Steelers and Baltimore thread. It's not outlandish for someone to discredit you over that thread.
Old 01-30-2012   #35
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just don't be surprised if Wade doesn't want him back. He has said a lot about this defense being about "tenacity", "intensity", "effort", and "determination"... none of which are words that describe Mario on the football field, relative to the rest of the team. I think the tea leaves are out there that the Texans are not planning to make a hard run at him. My guess is they will offer him a deal nowhere near market value, and he'll reject it and end up cashing in and playing for a traditional 4-3 team.
"Because I don't think Mario Williams plays intense enough in my opinion, and because Wade Phillips used these words to describe what he wants for his defense, I am concluding that Wade does not want Mario Williams on his defense. These are facts. I am dalemurphy."

Do you now see why you get ragged on for your opinions?
Old 01-30-2012   #36
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

I would love to see 90 back. I also understand that sometimes, for the good of the team, good players have to walk. See also, Vonta Leach. When you are good, you lose people. I think somehow we will get a decent contract in place and Mario will be a texan, and I'll welcome it. You dont find players as flexable as he is every day.
Old 01-30-2012   #37
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208658 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
You lost a lot of credibility on this issue when you started a thread about re-watching Mario disappearing in the Saints, Steelers and Baltimore thread. It's not outlandish for someone to discredit you over that thread.
LOL, y'all need to stop feeding the troll. Just completely ignore and disregard anything he has to say on Mario Williams.
Old 01-30-2012   #38
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
LOL, y'all need to stop feeding the troll. Just completely ignore and disregard anything he has to say on Mario Williams.
It's hard sometimes. he's so fun to blast.
Old 01-30-2012   #39
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Old 01-30-2012   #40
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Quote:
A few had asked me to study (among other things) how Mario lined up this past year.

I've been in the process of going through all the screen shots of all the plays, starting with the Colts game (but didn't count on being so detailed as this) so I thought I might as well at least do one game.

There were things that other teams have to be concern with Mario in the line-up.
The Colts mostly tried to run away from him.
When they tried to run at him, the RB ended up having to cut back.

In the pass rush, there were a lot of times where Mario almost got to the QB (remember the thing we said that a QB - like Schaub - needs to get rid of the ball in 3 secs. - well, keep that in mind.)

OK, here goes:
I'm sorry I derailed your thread like this. I'll try to keep it relevant from now on.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read