Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-27-2012   #21
jred76
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 jred76 is a quality contributor and well respectedjred76 is a quality contributor and well respectedjred76 is a quality contributor and well respectedjred76 is a quality contributor and well respectedjred76 is a quality contributor and well respectedjred76 is a quality contributor and well respectedjred76 is a quality contributor and well respectedjred76 is a quality contributor and well respectedjred76 is a quality contributor and well respectedjred76 is a quality contributor and well respectedjred76 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: James Casey as a WR

Casey is the most versatile player on this roster, and he's under contract. I expect his workload to increase next season as he continues to get stronger. He's a willing blocker who did far better in the FB role pre-injury than I expected him to, has excellent hands, and runs routes plenty well enough to be a factor in the passing game. Vickers is a bit more bruising, but Foster and Tate both amaze me with their ability to get skinny and squirt through closing holes. He's a mismatch for everyone but corners, and it'd be a crying shame to lose him. Kubes said in preseason and again after the injury that the offense was essentially built around his athleticism and versatility. He's got the skills to be an effective TE, and he's tough across the middle. His performance as a run blocker coupled with guys like Angry Dre and OD that can stretch the field and work the seams make his abilities as yet ANOTHER pass-catching option out of the backfield a potential nightmare for opposing defenses. Assuming we don't see a Packers-esque drop-off on the defensive side of the ball, and we manage to add a legitimate threat at WR2, I can't see a single reason that's not game planning related as to why we shouldn't be the NFL's top offense next season. With all the free agents we've got coming up in 2013-14, next year's our year.
jred76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012   #22
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52230 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post
oh god, can we go a day on this forum without someone making the claim that player/coach/corp/depth on the Texans is the most/best in the NFL...
While I don't agree with the premise that Casey is the most underutilized player in the league, it is not a stretch to say that the Texans are the most well-rounded, complete team in the league.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012   #23
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

How can anybody have a good or bad feel for Casey? He spent most of the season iwth an injury that sidelined MW. Casey isn't going anywhere and will provide the impetus for a SB run in 2012.
Old 01-27-2012   #24
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 62963 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Hell, try him out at linebacker!

I think Thor could take Dreessen's place if he were to go elsewhere.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012   #25
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 4144 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajoker View Post
I just wanted to see what everyone's thoughts are regarding James Casey as a WR. Not necessarily as our #2 or 3 but as least get the chance to compete with Jacoby and Walter for a WR spot. Casey has great hands, I believe runs good routes and is big enough to free himself off the line of scrimmage if pressed. I'm just not sure of how fast he is. Garrett Graham could become the #3 TE if they can resign Dreesen. Thoughts?
We need a fast wide receiver of some kind, but we can't afford to lose Kevin Walter any more than I can afford General Motors. He's too good at catching the ball and blocking downfield. Put Walter in the slot and draft somebody new to line up outside him.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012   #26
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 50351 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jred76 View Post
Casey is the most versatile player on this roster, and he's under contract. I expect his workload to increase next season as he continues to get stronger. He's a willing blocker who did far better in the FB role pre-injury than I expected him to, has excellent hands, and runs routes plenty well enough to be a factor in the passing game. Vickers is a bit more bruising, but Foster and Tate both amaze me with their ability to get skinny and squirt through closing holes. He's a mismatch for everyone but corners, and it'd be a crying shame to lose him. Kubes said in preseason and again after the injury that the offense was essentially built around his athleticism and versatility. He's got the skills to be an effective TE, and he's tough across the middle. His performance as a run blocker coupled with guys like Angry Dre and OD that can stretch the field and work the seams make his abilities as yet ANOTHER pass-catching option out of the backfield a potential nightmare for opposing defenses. Assuming we don't see a Packers-esque drop-off on the defensive side of the ball, and we manage to add a legitimate threat at WR2, I can't see a single reason that's not game planning related as to why we shouldn't be the NFL's top offense next season. With all the free agents we've got coming up in 2013-14, next year's our year.
The same James Casey that couldn't deal with contact off the line to save his life in passing situations? Casey is average at everything and a step down from Vickers in blocking. He's a utility man, not quite fit for any singular role and doesn't really create huge mismatches. If he did his name would be Gronkowski. He'll be lucky to muster 36 catches next season.

Nate
Old 01-28-2012   #27
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

. At 28 and even with only 3 years in the league how much upside can he have with an increased roll?

I am not bashing just wondering
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-28-2012   #28
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36121 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
The same James Casey that couldn't deal with contact off the line to save his life in passing situations? Casey is average at everything and a step down from Vickers in blocking. He's a utility man, not quite fit for any singular role and doesn't really create huge mismatches. If he did his name would be Gronkowski. He'll be lucky to muster 36 catches next season.

Nate
Do you realize only three Texans caught over thirty-six passes this year (Owen Daniels, Arian Foster & Kevin Walter)? Joel Dreessen only had twenty-eight catches. If Casey were to catch over thirty passes it would likely mean Dreessen is no longer a member of this team.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012   #29
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 50351 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Do you realize only three Texans caught over thirty-six passes this year (Owen Daniels, Arian Foster & Kevin Walter)? Joel Dreessen only had twenty-eight catches. If Casey were to catch over thirty passes it would likely mean Dreessen is no longer a member of this team.
36 was obviously pretty lofty. I was responding to everyone's hailing Casey as this mismatch nightmare. look at the better TE's across the league, heck look at dallas clark. He was actually a matchup nightmare, so much that he caught 100 passes in 2009, every team had to gameplan for him. If he were the second coming he'd be open almost every play. I just don't see him getting more than 24 catches this year (better?).
Old 01-29-2012   #30
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegara View Post
We need a fast wide receiver of some kind, but we can't afford to lose Kevin Walter any more than I can afford General Motors. He's too good at catching the ball and blocking downfield. Put Walter in the slot and draft somebody new to line up outside him.
I think Walters & Jacoby are sufficient 3 & 4 receivers. Just need a truer #2. KC won't let him go, but Bowe would definitely upgrade our WR corps to Championship level.
Old 01-30-2012   #31
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 25813 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think Walters & Jacoby are sufficient 3 & 4 receivers. Just need a truer #2. KC won't let him go, but Bowe would definitely upgrade our WR corps to Championship level.
Hell Yeah, Bowe would. But the Texans won't have Duane Bowe kind of money to spend, and Bowe is a legit #1.

No, it would be more like Mario Manningham or Robert Meachem money for the Texans. A guy who could be easily be a #2 on most teams, but is sitting at the #3 spot due to too much talent.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012   #32
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 74864 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
Hell Yeah, Bowe would. But the Texans won't have Duane Bowe kind of money to spend, and Bowe is a legit #1.

No, it would be more like Mario Manningham or Robert Meachem money for the Texans. A guy who could be easily be a #2 on most teams, but is sitting at the #3 spot due to too much talent.
I believe Manningham would be a great fit here as well but I don't see the Texans being players at all in free agency this offseason.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012   #33
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Don't get me started!!!!
Old 01-31-2012   #34
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36121 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
36 was obviously pretty lofty. I was responding to everyone's hailing Casey as this mismatch nightmare. look at the better TE's across the league, heck look at dallas clark. He was actually a matchup nightmare, so much that he caught 100 passes in 2009, every team had to gameplan for him. If he were the second coming he'd be open almost every play. I just don't see him getting more than 24 catches this year (better?).
In my opinion we can't know what Casey can become right now. He hasn't gotten any real time at Tight-End and Full-Back isn't his natural position. Comparing a third-string TE to some of the best at the position doesn't seem quite fair to me.

You don't see him getting twenty-four catches next year? Alright, you do realize he was only six catches shy of that mark this year as a third string TE/FB? You don't think he could get six more catches next year if Dreessen is no longer here? Even if Dreessen remains that's still less than half a catch more per game next year. I would easily take the over on that number.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012   #35
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 167919 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
That was the perfect response to "Clutch" , MSR ..... That image is way overused over at Clutchfans.

Clutch .... yer smokin some sh!t if you think Casey isnt a Texan next season. :putthecrakpipedown:

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012   #36
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
. At 28 and even with only 3 years in the league how much upside can he have with an increased roll?

I am not bashing just wondering
If you never increase his role how will he make a bigger impact?

I would certainly think if they stopped making him play shenanigans with positions and let him focus on being the #2 TE I bet we would see a marked improvement in his blocking and route running.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012   #37
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 92090 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

What the heck is Manningham gettin so much love around here for? Gee whiz, dude's hardly ever healthy and he's not really all that when he is.

Give me Welker or V. Jackson and a draft pick or two. *dreaming*
Old 01-31-2012   #38
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 92090 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
What the heck is Manningham gettin so much love around here for? Gee whiz, dude's hardly ever healthy and he's not really all that when he is.

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Lurrent Robinson in either. He's young and has decent size.

BTW, we might need to "sticky" a FA thread sometime soonish
Old 02-01-2012   #39
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 164018 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I have the same question about Meachem.

Why is it all the tempting guys have issues?
Vincent Jackson - diva
Brandon Lloyd - head case
DeSean Jackson - lazy?
Meachem - underachiever (borderline bust)
Manningham - injury prone
Wayne - old & likely expensive
Bowe - VERY expensive

siiigh... filling this spot via free agency may be harder than we think
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012   #40
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 164018 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Lurrent Robinson in either. He's young and has decent size.

BTW, we might need to "sticky" a FA thread sometime soonish
Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing....
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read