Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-27-2012   #1
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2888 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Default James Casey as a WR

I just wanted to see what everyone's thoughts are regarding James Casey as a WR. Not necessarily as our #2 or 3 but as least get the chance to compete with Jacoby and Walter for a WR spot. Casey has great hands, I believe runs good routes and is big enough to free himself off the line of scrimmage if pressed. I'm just not sure of how fast he is. Garrett Graham could become the #3 TE if they can resign Dreesen. Thoughts?
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012   #2
HPDSgtJDS
Rookie

I personally think James is the most under utilized player on the team.... Heck, maybe in the NFL... On most teams he would be a solid starter at WR.... His hands are amazing and he's a workhorse of the highest order. I think one of the reasons he struggled with injury this year is having to quickly bulk up during the off season to play FB, which is a waste of his true talent. On top of that he's a family man and a great example off the field as well.... If the Texans don't seriously sweeten his contract I hope he goes somewhere where his talents are appreciated in both playing time and money. IMHO
HPDSgtJDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012   #3
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: James Casey as a WR

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajoker View Post
I just wanted to see what everyone's thoughts are regarding James Casey as a WR. Not necessarily as our #2 or 3 but as least get the chance to compete with Jacoby and Walter for a WR spot. Casey has great hands, I believe runs good routes and is big enough to free himself off the line of scrimmage if pressed. I'm just not sure of how fast he is. Garrett Graham could become the #3 TE if they can resign Dreesen. Thoughts?
Why not just let Dreesen walk and expect Casey to fill his shoes? As an H-back, he covered pretty much everything but QB this year. He split out wide, he blocked, he even ran a few carries....why not let him do that, be a matchup nightmare or fill the role he was drafted for? JC as a fulltime WR is a square peg in a round hole.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012   #4
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19489 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

He's a much better mismatch against defenses at the TE spot. Too fast for a LB to cover and too big for a safety. That said, he could be split out wide occassionally, I just don't see him as true WR.

I like the idea of wheel routes from the FB position as well, again another matchup nightmare.
Old 01-27-2012   #5
BrandonLwowski
Veteran

Rep Power: 53 BrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respected

What we need to do is use him just like the patriots use arron hernandez. To me they are built almost excatly the same. Use him in the passing game. Line him up outwide, at tightend, fullback, runningback. Make him a mismatch in the passing game and even throw off the balance by letting him run the ball. James Casey = Aaron Hernandez
BrandonLwowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012   #6
clutch
Rookie

Rep Power: 960 clutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't be surprised if casey isn't on the team next season...I wouldn't..
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012   #7
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28847 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
I would be surprised if he's not on the team next year. He's under contract and isn't too expensive. I see him stepping in nicely if they don't bring Dreessen back.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-27-2012   #8
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yea we're going to cut him along with Cushing and Barwin....
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012   #9
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19489 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Old 01-27-2012   #10
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2888 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPDSgtJDS View Post
I personally think James is the most under utilized player on the team.... Heck, maybe in the NFL... On most teams he would be a solid starter at WR.... His hands are amazing and he's a workhorse of the highest order. I think one of the reasons he struggled with injury this year is having to quickly bulk up during the off season to play FB, which is a waste of his true talent. On top of that he's a family man and a great example off the field as well.... If the Texans don't seriously sweeten his contract I hope he goes somewhere where his talents are appreciated in both playing time and money. IMHO
I totally agree with you there. I don't think he got on the field enough when he was healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonLwowski View Post
What we need to do is use him just like the patriots use arron hernandez. To me they are built almost excatly the same. Use him in the passing game. Line him up outwide, at tightend, fullback, runningback. Make him a mismatch in the passing game and even throw off the balance by letting him run the ball. James Casey = Aaron Hernandez

That's pretty much my reasoning for coming up with the idea. I guess don't label Casey as a WR, but I believe he needs to be on the field more where
he is lined up in the slot, outwide or even coming out of the back field.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012   #11
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
I would be surprised if he's not on the team next year. He's under contract and isn't too expensive. I see him stepping in nicely if they don't bring Dreessen back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Yea we're going to cut him along with Cushing and Barwin....
lol - Casey will be on the team next season. And I also feel that they will play him more as a WR/TE than the halfback spot that he got banged around in. I think he would be a tough guard for a nickel corner. And too fast for some of those linebackers. The age of the TE is here. And we will be ready.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012   #12
machineo
Rookie

Rep Power: 233 machineo is a quality contributor and well respectedmachineo is a quality contributor and well respectedmachineo is a quality contributor and well respectedmachineo is a quality contributor and well respectedmachineo is a quality contributor and well respectedmachineo is a quality contributor and well respectedmachineo is a quality contributor and well respectedmachineo is a quality contributor and well respectedmachineo is a quality contributor and well respectedmachineo is a quality contributor and well respectedmachineo is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd also rather keep him closer to the middle than out wide. He's not a speed mismatch against CBs and Thor's height advantage is negated because Kubiak doesn't seem to promote throwing jump balls or 50-50 balls. He wants the routes to take care of guys getting open.

So if he's FB or the 2nd TE in a jumbo set, and constantly in motion before every play, that will only emphasize the unpredictability of a balanced offense.
machineo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109114 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

He's not a wr. He also didn't impress me much last season and it would NOT shock me to see him NOT make the team next season. He doesn't have the yac ability I thought he would have or the running back skills.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012   #14
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Based on what reason(s)?

Vickers' dominant performance?
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012   #15
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
As funny as it may be, your signature's too big.
Old 01-27-2012   #16
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 176794 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

With a 4.8 40 yard dash, Casey is 2 tenths off the slowest WR times. He'd have to run amazing routes & have great leap/reach/hands to even be considered at WR. Not happening.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109114 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Based on what reason(s)?

Casey didn't really do anything all that well last year. He wasn't really a great FB, not a great Hback, not a top TE type...he's just the NFL version of Snyder on the TV sitcom One Day at a Time. He's upgradeable since he's just a utility man at this point. He does a lot of things...but nothing incredibly well.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012   #18
clutch
Rookie

Rep Power: 960 clutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Based on what reason(s)?

Exactly..there is one thing vickers does better than casey..and it is the only thing that's matters on this team...... that's run blocking..everything else casey does is mediocre and irellavent..
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012   #19
HPDSgtJDS
Rookie

I dunno.... Watching James and watching Vickers, I never saw any appreciable difference in their blocking ability.... And I actually though Vickers missed more blocks with his increased playing time near the end of the season. I'm just as happy to let Vickers have HB, as having a player of James' versatility and ability in that position is a huge waste.

If they keep Dreesen, I'd rather the team allow him to get traded where he can further his career more effectively. Say what you will about him, but the more they expect out of him the more he will rise to the occasion.

But I'd hate to see a hometown hero go somewhere else...
HPDSgtJDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012   #20
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 8248 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanstalkhomeropinion View Post
the most.... Heck, maybe in the NFL...
oh god, can we go a day on this forum without someone making the claim that player/coach/corp/depth on the Texans is the most/best in the NFL...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read