Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-09-2012   #41
KMG 365
Veteran

Rep Power: 1251 KMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Meet With Prospect ______, 2012 Edition

Cal LB Mychal Kendricks will visit with the Texans this week.

http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=1...=5983451&fhn=1
KMG 365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #42
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG 365 View Post
Cal LB Mychal Kendricks will visit with the Texans this week.

http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=1...=5983451&fhn=1
YES! I know BL does not like the guy, but in my opinion Kendricks is an ideal 3-4 ILB. My target for 2nd round.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #43
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Kinda surprising for us to be bringing in a top round guy for a visit. We normally bring in UDFA and late rounders.
Old 04-09-2012   #44
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Kinda surprising for us to be bringing in a top round guy for a visit. We normally bring in UDFA and late rounders.
As I have been told, the knock on Kendricks is intelligence- apparently his interviews at the combine did not go so well.

This tells me that the Texans like him as a player, and want some more time with the kid to see if he has enough between the ears to be effective in the NFL.
Old 04-09-2012   #45
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
YES! I know BL does not like the guy, but in my opinion Kendricks is an ideal 3-4 ILB. My target for 2nd round.
Your not worried about his lack of size at 5'11" and 239 lbs., how's he going to stand up to the pounding from blocking FB and OG?
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #46
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Your not worried about his lack of size at 5'11" and 239 lbs., how's he going to stand up to the pounding from blocking FB and OG?
Nope. At 5'11", 240 lbs is a lot of muscle mass. He is short, but I do not think he is small. He has good upper body strength, and a lot of explosive power in his legs and core. I have no concerns about his size.
Old 04-09-2012   #47
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He looks plenty strong to me.

Quote:
40-yard dash (4.47), vertical jump (39.5) and broad jump (10-7). He tied for fifth overall at the combine in both the vertical and broad jump. He also had a time of 4.19 in the 20-yard shuttle, the fifth fastest for linebackers.
Quick enough to stay with Tight Ends and slot receivers as well, so he may be a 3-down LB in our system. He might make a good RB too if that whole linebacker thing doesn't work out...
Old 04-09-2012   #48
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post

Quick enough to stay with Tight Ends and slot receivers as well, so he may be a 3-down LB in our system. He might make a good RB too if that whole linebacker thing doesn't work out...
I read his Dad was a pretty solid RB for UCLA.
Old 04-09-2012   #49
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I read his Dad was a pretty solid RB for UCLA.
Sounds about right. With his size and speed he seems like he would make a good every down back.
Old 04-09-2012   #50
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Sounds about right. With his size and speed he seems like he would make a good every down back.
Haha, I was thinking if ILB did not work out he could make a decent FB. Dont need to be too smart for that.
Old 04-09-2012   #51
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I had us trading down out of the first and taking Kendricks in my latest mock before I read this.

I think he'd be the perfect compliment to Cushing. Strong, fast, explosive and he could also play special teams sometimes.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #52
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I had us trading down out of the first and taking Kendricks in my latest mock before I read this.

I think he'd be the perfect compliment to Cushing. Strong, fast, explosive and he could also play special teams sometimes.
He also has a history of playing OLB. Dude is talented and versatile. I would love to see him in a Texans uni.
Old 04-09-2012   #53
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nope. At 5'11", 240 lbs is a lot of muscle mass. He is short, but I do not think he is small. He has good upper body strength, and a lot of explosive power in his legs and core. I have no concerns about his size.
I don't have a dog in this fight and it's prolly apples to plums but IIRC #34 THE GREAT was 5'11" and 220ish. He seemed to do OK.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #54
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Shorter than ideal with limited measureables and is too easily engulfed by blockers near the line of scrimmage. Needs to anchor better at the point of attack and was too often knocked backwards or off his feet. More of a straight-line athlete with some stiffness in his hips, lacking the smooth change of direction ability to quickly redirect. Slips off too many ballcarriers and needs to complete tackles -- will go for the big hit too often instead of consistently wrapping up. Has some durability concerns after a shoulder and thumb injury hampered him in 2011 -- wore a cast on his left hand for part of his senior season. Has some minor character concerns after he was suspended for parts of two different games for separate violations of team rules.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1692733
Old 04-09-2012   #55
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Some feel, because of that, he would better make a beast of a SS.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #56
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I don't have a dog in this fight and it's prolly apples to plums but IIRC #34 THE GREAT was 5'11" and 220ish. He seemed to do OK.
Earl Campbell in college was 220ish but 232 NFL.
Old 04-10-2012   #57
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Earl Campbell in college was 220ish but 232 NFL.
Earl was RB not a LB and in the 70's your D-linemen were in the 270 lbs. range, not 320-350 lbs. range. Different era entirely. Today's NFL isn't even close to what we grew up watching.

CND, we're not looking for that type of SS, we got rid of Pollard because of his lack of coverage skills. The NFL has become a passing league thus the reason we converted a CB to SS, because of his coverage skills.

Dutchrudder, he might look strong in pictures but so do the 320 lbs. OG's that will steamroll him. We've already got Sharpton who's the same size as Kendricks and this is a big boy league.

JMO, but Kendricks is just to small to play ILB in a 3-4 where he'll routinely take on FB's and OG's. I just don't see him withstanding a season long pounding at his size.
Old 04-10-2012   #58
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Shorter than ideal with limited measureables and is too easily engulfed by blockers near the line of scrimmage. Needs to anchor better at the point of attack and was too often knocked backwards or off his feet. More of a straight-line athlete with some stiffness in his hips, lacking the smooth change of direction ability to quickly redirect. Slips off too many ballcarriers and needs to complete tackles -- will go for the big hit too often instead of consistently wrapping up. Has some durability concerns after a shoulder and thumb injury hampered him in 2011 -- wore a cast on his left hand for part of his senior season. Has some minor character concerns after he was suspended for parts of two different games for separate violations of team rules.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1692733
Good find BB.
If he's getting knocked down or engulfed by college level O-linemen, then he'll get killed in the NFL.

2nd part sounds like a poor tackler. Granted that can be fixed but overall he sounds like a late round pick that makes the practice squad, maybe, and I'm looking for potential starters in the 2nd round.
Old 04-10-2012   #59
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know if the Texans have met with him, but I'd be real happy with this guy in rd 2 as an ILB:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...012&genpos=olb
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #60
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Good find BB.
If he's getting knocked down or engulfed by college level O-linemen, then he'll get killed in the NFL.

2nd part sounds like a poor tackler. Granted that can be fixed but overall he sounds like a late round pick that makes the practice squad, maybe, and I'm looking for potential starters in the 2nd round.
Maybe someone should tell that to the texans as they are the ones meeting with him.

I can't see them going through the trouble if the didn't have genuine interest.

He is good in pass coverage as a lb, has great speed and he is a thumper. He's not rated as a second round prospect for no reason.

Does he have flaws? Sure. But make no mistake about it, he is a good player.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read