Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-18-2005   #1
Alex
Rookie

Default Texans interested in Moreno ?

Quote:
The Texans, who officially announced the signing of linebacker Frank Chamberlin on Thursday, also might be interested in linebacker Zeke Moreno, who has spent his four-year career in San Diego where he started 16 of 57 games. Moreno finished last season on injured reserve because of a shoulder injury.
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...sfront/3091182

Last year he played only 9 games due to an injury (12 tackles). He played his best season in 2003 :
16 G (13 Starts) 96 TK (79 So, 17 Assist.) 2 Sacks 2 Fum. Forced

Last edited by Alex; 03-18-2005 at 07:15 AM.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #2
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

the more linebackers we sign and bring in the less likely we will be drafting one in this years draft
Old 03-18-2005   #3
cadahnic
All Pro

I disagree. In a 3-4 system like ours we can never have to many linebackers. I just dont understand why we are not looking at some guys other than fillers. I like Anthony Simmons and I dont think he will cost as much as Greenwood. Zeke Moreno is not bad but he is at best a filler and special teams star for us. But maybe he will due for us like Foley did for them
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #4
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadahnic
I just dont understand why we are not looking at some guys other than fillers.
Because we still need to upgrade our depth. You cannot spend a ton of money on backups in this league, so you try to find quality guys that are usually not impact guys.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #5
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
the more linebackers we sign and bring in the less likely we will be drafting one in this years draft
I disagree. The more linebackers we look at the more clearly the front office is telling us they're not content with our linebacker situation. Thus the more likely we are to draft someone.

It would be different if these guys were anything more than depth acquisitions, but we don't seem to be looking at that calibre of player.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

It looks like we are looking at guys a tad quicker than the first combination of Sharper/Foreman. Zeke plays in the 230's as well as Greewood does. Moreno would probably be brought in to back up Greenwood. He has a good background when it comes to being a team leader and is probably a good guy in the locker room too. He was the So Cal Trojans Most Valuable Player and team captain.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #7
cadahnic
All Pro

Vinny at least old age has not hurt your mind. I think we are definately adding more speed to our defense. Our secondary carried us last season and I have to believe the Texans Front Office is thinking if we can get either the LB or D-line at least up to that level then we are a dangerous teams, regardless of inconsistency in our offense. Moreno is a great locker room guy and he is great on ST and as a backup
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-18-2005   #8
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

So how much faster are our LBs going to be this year compaired to last year?
Old 03-18-2005   #9
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd be for this signing as long as he doesn't cost too much...The way I see it, the only ILB back-up we have that has any chance of seeing the field is Polk, so depth here is needed...
Old 03-18-2005   #10
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

still think we need to be drafting some quality D-lineman to push walker and payne for playing time...sears and deloach maybe too willing to ride the bench the whole year...and with how often those two are injuried we need guys to fill in now...still wouldn't mind us drafting marcus spears in the first or jason babinueax in the 2nd
Old 03-18-2005   #11
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

i like this guy a lot. what vinny said is absolutely true. the team seems to be takin the approach i do when drafting defense in Madden, speed, speed speed
Old 03-18-2005   #12
Shamrock
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradK10
i like this guy a lot. what vinny said is absolutely true. the team seems to be takin the approach i do when drafting defense in Madden, speed, speed speed
Moreno is NOT fast.

Moreno can plug a hole right in front of him, but has trouble with angles, and getting to the edge. His instincts are also lacking, and has trouble shedding blocks.

As a Charger fan, I'm glad to see him gone.
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #13
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

well as has already been stated.. we need quality depth.. and this is how you achieve that.

Also keep in mind though, we let our backup go the season before last, and Steve Foley went and signed with the Chargers where he became one of the best LBs in the league in their system. We may be grabbing guys that we think will blossom in our system. We will give them all a shot in training camp, pick the best ones for depth.. and possibly even find a new starter.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

gonna have to trust the Texans on this one, if they follow the path layed by the three time Superbowl Champion Patriots you don't spend high draft picks on LB's. its really amazing what they have acomplished & now that everyone is trying to play catch-up the Texans seem to have a new strategy, sign affordable, proven NFL free agents who fit their system. it feels like they are flying under the radar of the big free agents and grabing all the value they can, its probably a good thing
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #15
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadahnic
Our secondary carried us last season
That I kind of agree with. Our secondary got smoked some last year but considering the amount of pressure we got with our pass rush (seems a shame to call it that) I thought they did a hell of a job. If they'd had anyone consistently making the QB work for his money then the Texans secondary would have been very, very good.

The Texans are getting them some speed. They don't need it on the DL all that much but if they're going to conceed it there then the LB's absolutely have to have it.
Hervoyel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #16
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

lord is that all we are gonna use on defense is LBs ?
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005   #17
eyedok
Rookie

Moreno is ripe to blossum this year (fifth year in NFL). He's trimmed down and has become quicker. He could do what Steve Foley did to the Chargers who just signed a 3 year multimillion dollar contract with the Chargers. Give the Texan organization some credit for picking the next Steve Foley at Zeke Moreno prices.
eyedok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005   #18
MikeMc
All Pro

I think the Texans are trying to find that Diamond in the rough. There needs to be some changes within the LB corps, these guys have not performed like typical Capers' 3-4 Defenses do...maybe the past players did not fit the role very well.....don't get me wrong, Sharper & Foreman have been fine LBs, but there needs to be some addressing the lack of pressure on the QB.

If the Secondary & DL is doing a fine job, it must be the LBs that are underachieving.
Old 03-19-2005   #19
outofhnd
All Pro

I think You can never have too much Defense look at New England they have like 5 LB in rotation that are quality guys.
i think because sharper and forman were showing no burst and not making tackles at or near the line of scrimmage we want guys that will react quickly to the ball Moreno would be another hard hitting addition to our team. Lets get this paperwork signed.
outofhnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock
Moreno is NOT fast.

Moreno can plug a hole right in front of him, but has trouble with angles, and getting to the edge. His instincts are also lacking, and has trouble shedding blocks.

As a Charger fan, I'm glad to see him gone.
If signed he certainly isn't going to start and may not even make the team. He still seems like a good guy to come in and compete for depth though. It's like Foreman's situation. If Foreman signs elsewhere there is a chance he may not make the team that signs him.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read