Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-25-2012   #41
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12118 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rename the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanator View Post
The name goes back to the original name of the Cowboys, before they moved to KC. it actually has history, although I don't care to be associated with Dallas in any way.
I'm a TEXAN and damn proud of it!
Well it wasn't the cowboys, Because the Dallas Texans were an AFL team. As you know, when the Cowboys came in, the Owner of the Texans knew he couldn't compete with an NFL team in the same city. So they moved to Kansas City. It was pretty cool to see the Kansas City Texans a couple of years ago, when they did the old AFL uniforms.

Wasn't there a Texans team even before the AFL? Like in some world football leauge or something like that? I know one of the reasons they chose the name, was because it had history in the State of Texas, and they wanted the name to appeal to all of texas, not just Houston. Although you would nver guess that now due to how little they promote outside of Houston.

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012   #42
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 90988 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
His team, he can do what ever he wants with it and Houston fans will still cheer them on. I kinda hope it happens because Drayton McClain left such a bad taste in my mouth the way he ran that team into the ground on purpose. I say screw it, New owner, new league, new name, new identity....

As for a name or re-name Houston Synergy....

or the Houston Metros like Metroplex...
Dallas is already called the Metroplex and there is already a team called the Metro(politan)'s in MLB: The NY Mets.
I agree it is Crane's team now and he can do what he wants to. I don't think you get rich enough to buy a major league franchise by being a complete moron, though.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012   #43
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 313912 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm fine with the Houston Texans.

The only other name that made sense to me was the Houston Toros for many obvious reasons.
Old 01-25-2012   #44
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 94228 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

I kinda liked the Roughnecks since it was energy related and those guys are pretty tough to do what they do.
I agree that Roughnecks are pretty tough, but if you're looking for some dudes who are extremely tough, look no further than your friendly neighborhood oilfield diver.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012   #45
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't like the name, still don't particularly but it's done. It's too late to change it and now love it or hate it I'm attached to it in some fashion.

And Crane has no intention of changing the Astros name. He's just throwing everybody off the scent of his agreeing to move to the American League. Once he announces the cool new Astros uniforms and that he's retaining the name nobody will give him any more crap about agreeing to switch leagues.

Smart man actually.
Old 01-25-2012   #46
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I was chatting online with a guy from Australia recently. He asked me if I was an Aussie. I replied, "No, I'm a Texan" without even thinking about it. Afterward, it occurred to me that I didn't say American, though I am certainly that.

Anyway, that ought to answer the thread question for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I didn't like the name, still don't particularly but it's done. It's too late to change it and now love it or hate it I'm attached to it in some fashion.

And Crane has no intention of changing the Astros name. He's just throwing everybody off the scent of his agreeing to move to the American League. Once he announces the cool new Astros uniforms and that he's retaining the name nobody will give him any more crap about agreeing to switch leagues.

Smart man actually.
Except for me and a million other fans.
Old 01-25-2012   #47
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

The only other name that made sense to me was the Houston Toros for many obvious reasons.
Sorry DB, Toros was my least fav of all the names mentioned at the time.

Wasn't crazy about TEXANS as our name, but, I figured that any man who would plunk over 700 million bucks for a franchise could name it whatever he wanted. I wanted BOBCATS, in honor of the man who fought to bring an NFL team back to Houston. But, as many said during the elimination process, it sounded to High Schoolish. Of the final five I wanted Apollos.

Daddy Bob knew what he was doing. He wanted TEXANS all along, and most of us who followed the process from the get go pretty much knew that would be our name. SOOOO, when it came out I was not surprised and had pretty much prepared myself for that name. It fits us just fine, and I think he knew it would!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-25-2012   #48
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Drillers!
Hey, that was the name I came up with.

Houston Drillers

It's sticking with the oil theme and they could have come up with a similar logo that the Oilers had. It kinda sounds like Oilers also. We could have named the defense the "Drilling Crew" again, etc.

Anyway, out of all the other names that were being floated out there at the time the Texans was the best one. If they would have went with Stallions I probably would just be a Giants only fan today.

Edit: Just saw Sandy's post ... I would have been good with Apollos too, though my issue with it at the time was that it is too much like the Titans.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012   #49
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
His team, he can do what ever he wants with it and Houston fans will still cheer them on....
exactly sounds like the people who were upset when it was announced that astroworld was closing and when asked when was the last time they went to astroworld most said it had been years
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012   #50
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
Except for me and a million other fans.

I think you overestimate "a million other fans"
Old 01-25-2012   #51
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181073 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

No other name makes sense.
FIXED!

Some people shouldnt be allowed to start threads ..... First the guy who wants Peyton Manning and now this joker .....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012   #52
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I think you overestimate "a million other fans"
The number might be wrong but you get my drift. I think you overestimate his motives.
Old 01-25-2012   #53
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it's a perfect name. Maybe a little biased since I's born and raised here, but it's quite fitting. At least for people like me.

And maybe it's just me, but I kinda dug the white helmet. Wonder why they changed it? Tougher to keep the clean look, maybe?
Old 01-25-2012   #54
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 23872 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm in, but only if we can change thier name to:

the Houston "AFC South Champs"

otherwise I kinda like the Houston "Texans".

Only drawback to the name is that people around the country that don't have teams are very unlikely to make the Texans, "thier" team that they pull for. However do we really care, I don't think so.
Old 01-25-2012   #55
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 280296 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
Hey, that was the name I came up with.

Houston Drillers

It's sticking with the oil theme and they could have come up with a similar logo that the Oilers had. It kinda sounds like Oilers also. We could have named the defense the "Drilling Crew" again, etc.
Driller?

I don't even know her.

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012   #56
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 51245 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Hmm...I could understand this thread after a 2-14 season, but after a playoff run? Not so much.

Carry on.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012   #57
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Rep Power: 3846 RagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Dallas is already called the Metroplex and there is already a team called the Metro(politan)'s in MLB: The NY Mets.
I agree it is Crane's team now and he can do what he wants to. I don't think you get rich enough to buy a major league franchise by being a complete moron, though.
Instead of the Met(ropolitan)'s, Dallas could name their team the Metro(sexual)'s. It would fit perfect with Romo as the QB.
RagingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012   #58
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 94228 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

After thinking a little about the thread topic, I have come to the conclusion that this is the worst thread that I have ever taken part in.
On the other hand, it is the offseason, so don't let me stand in the way of a little good mental masturbation.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012   #59
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
Hmm...I could understand this thread after a 2-14 season, but after a playoff run? Not so much.

Carry on.
Indeed. After the Rockets won back-to-back I doubt I was the only one who winced when they changed uni's. By that I don't mean the ungly pajamas they opted for either.

At the time I would have preferrred Apollo's but they are the Texans and today I can't imagine it any other way. In hindsight I'm glad they chose Texans as a mascot instead of calling themselves the Texas Toros or Texas Apollos whatever. I gives the same vibe but in a much less arrogant manner.

(Hmmm. Texas Toros.....not bad)
Old 01-25-2012   #60
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

The Houston Flux Capacitors

Our logo

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read