Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-30-2012   #41
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78264 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AJ:Can the Texans afford Mario Williams and Arian Foster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Franchising MW would NOT drop his cap number but would in fact push it to $23m.

Its the greater value of the following -

The average of the top five salaries at the position of the player in question.

Or

100%+20% of the previous years salary.

In this case the greater value would be 100%+20% of the previous years salary as it is considerably more than the top five OLB's average salary.

I think teams will attempt to avoid this in the future by not backloading the final year.

I dont think they can afford that much when they have Foster , Dreesen , Myers and Briesel to deal with not to mention any outside FA's thye may want to bring in.

They have to get his cap number down in the 10m range for the coming year at most.
I can see Joel being a cap casualty. Don't advocate that but we've got #88 on the payroll for a lot less and he plays D too!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012   #42
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I can see Joel being a cap casualty. Don't advocate that but we've got #88 on the payroll for a lot less and he plays D too!
Joel was a FA when we got him. I doubt there are many teams that are going to be drooling over Dressen. Chances are he'll be ours on the cheap.
Old 01-30-2012   #43
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

No, the Texans can't afford both. Not without losing key FA's at other positions. Keep AF and hope MW feels some loyalty.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012   #44
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
No, the Texans can't afford both. Not without losing key FA's at other positions. Keep AF and hope MW feels some loyalty.
I think both Arian & Mario are going to get big deals, with healthy signing bonuses, low cap numbers for 2012, that will balloon in 2013 & beyond.

Myers will probably get a deal structured similarly, but not a "huge" deal. Brisiel will get a yeoman's contract, but he'll be taken care of.

Dressen will get a modest deal & we'll probably lose Jason Allen.
Old 01-31-2012   #45
cbs1507
Veteran

Rep Power: 8662 cbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think both Arian & Mario are going to get big deals, with healthy signing bonuses, low cap numbers for 2012, that will balloon in 2013 & beyond.

Myers will probably get a deal structured similarly, but not a "huge" deal. Brisiel will get a yeoman's contract, but he'll be taken care of.

Well if he doesn't cost too much we could give him an exception contract. I read somewhere that this year teams get 3 $1.5 million exceptions (3 contracts worth $1.5 million each that won't count against the cap). I'll post the link when I find it.

EDIT: Bingo...
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/67...football-terms
cbs1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012   #46
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbs1507 View Post
Well if he doesn't cost too much we could give him an exception contract. I read somewhere that this year teams get 3 $1.5 million exceptions (3 contracts worth $1.5 million each that won't count against the cap). I'll post the link when I find it.

EDIT: Bingo...
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/67...football-terms
I'm thinking we'll lose him because he played a lot, teams watched him, & he's played pretty well. I can see him as a #2 CB on many teams. CBs are a hot commodity & he may be one of the top CBs in this FA class.

He'll probably get an offer we can't match.
Old 01-31-2012   #47
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Now if you had included Jones getting cut, I'd be happy with this post.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-31-2012   #48
cbs1507
Veteran

Rep Power: 8662 cbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm thinking we'll lose him because he played a lot, teams watched him, & he's played pretty well. I can see him as a #2 CB on many teams. CBs are a hot commodity & he may be one of the top CBs in this FA class.

He'll probably get an offer we can't match.
Not really...

Cortland Finnegan
Brent Grimes
Brandon Carr
Carlos Rodgers

Off the top of my head.

He may get an offer we can't match, but there are many more CBs that actually started that will command more $ than Allen IMO.

Edit: Here a list of FA CBs
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2012/fa/db.html
cbs1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012   #49
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbs1507 View Post
Not really...

Cortland Finnegan
Brent Grimes
Brandon Carr
Carlos Rodgers

Off the top of my head.

He may get an offer we can't match, but there are many more CBs that actually started that will command more $ than Allen IMO.

Edit: Here a list of FA CBs
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2012/fa/db.html
Ooh, didn't realize there were so many. I doubt Grimes, Carr, or Rodgers will hit FA.... Still, a lot of names on that list (even the "other notables" list) that may get more attention.

We may be able to keep him.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read