Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-16-2012   #761
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2012 Texans Talk Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
With the 90th pick the Houston Texans select...

James Brown, OT - Troy

Obviously this is now a pretty big need with the loss of Winston. Played LT in college and is being projected by many as an OG at the next level, but I think he's fully capable of playing RT in our system.

Brown is definitely a sleeper prospect although he was a 3 year starter and a two time All Conference selection. More of a developmental player than my original target, Mitchell Schwartz, but I think he's definitely a guy the staff wouldn't mind developing.
WR, NT, OT.
Sure looks like you're drafting base on needs.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #762
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I was very close to taking brown to pay guard for the lions.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #763
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
With the 90th pick the Houston Texans select...

James Brown, OT - Troy

Obviously this is now a pretty big need with the loss of Winston. Played LT in college and is being projected by many as an OG at the next level, but I think he's fully capable of playing RT in our system.

Brown is definitely a sleeper prospect although he was a 3 year starter and a two time All Conference selection. More of a developmental player than my original target, Mitchell Schwartz, but I think he's definitely a guy the staff wouldn't mind developing.
I like it. Brown & Brown. Pretty solid. Maybe better value taking Brown in 3rd over Schwartz in 2nd?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #764
KMG 365
Veteran

Rep Power: 1251 KMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
I was very close to taking brown to pay guard for the lions.
I was going to take Brown at #96 for the Giants. I thought he would slip through the cracks. I had him projected as a LG for the G-men.
KMG 365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #765
RT22
Veteran

Rep Power: 3883 RT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respected

With Pick #91 the New Orleans Saints select OLB Sean Spence University of Miami 5'-11" 231.
RT22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #766
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

3.92) Green Bay Packers - nytexan -

3.93) Baltimore Ravens - WolverineFan -

3.94) San Francisco 49ers - Rey -

3.95) New England Patriots - Beerlover -

3.96) New York Giants - KMG 365 -
Old 03-17-2012   #767
nytexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 1436 nytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The Green Bay Packers with the 92nd and their 3rd selection in the 2012 TT Draft select

Chandler Jones DE from Syracuse

Many prognosticators had Chandler pegged as a top 40 pick so the Green Bay Packer Front Office is shocked to still see him there. They fully believe he has the build to put on more weight and eventually take over the 5 spot. Along with OLB Andre Branch taken in the 1st round the Packers believe there pash rush woes are over.

Given how famous his family is with his brother Arthur Jones as DL with the Baltimore Ravens and his other brother Jon Jones the Light-Heavyweight UFC Champion he fits perfectly in what the Packers envision in their new and young defense.

Last edited by nytexan; 03-18-2012 at 06:27 AM.
nytexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-17-2012   #768
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytexan View Post
The Green Bay Packers with the 90th and their 3rd selection in the 2012 TT Draft select

Attachment 449

Vinny Curry OLB from Marshall

After a 2 sack performance and a QB hurry that caused an interception in the Senior Bowl, the Packer front office is SHOCKED that he is still on the board and along with Andre Branch who was picked in the first round the Packer pash rush should be much improved this year. We had him pegged as a possible 1st round and at worst an early 2nd round pick. These 2 OLB picks should capably play across from Clay Matthews and give him a needed rest at times.
He was picked 47th overall.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #769
nytexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 1436 nytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
He was picked 47th overall.
I caught that as soon as I pasted it and changed the pick.
Old 03-17-2012   #770
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytexan View Post
I caught that as soon as I pasted it and changed the pick.
Nice pick. I am amazed at how many players have dropped, while at the same time noting that there have been (by my board/opinion) relatively few picks that I would call "reaches".

This is a deep draft.
Old 03-17-2012   #771
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nice pick. I am amazed at how many players have dropped, while at the same time noting that there have been (by my board/opinion) relatively few picks that I would call "reaches".

This is a deep draft.
at least three rounds deep with starter material.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-17-2012   #772
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
at least three rounds deep with starter material.
Absolutely. I hope to stretch that into the 4th round for the Dolphins in this mock. There is a player that I have had my eye on for a round and a half, who I would have taken in the 3rd had WR not suddenly become a need.
Old 03-17-2012   #773
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Absolutely. I hope to stretch that into the 4th round for the Dolphins in this mock. There is a player that I have had my eye on for a round and a half, who I would have taken in the 3rd had WR not suddenly become a need.
think I have a good idea who that is

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-17-2012   #774
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
think I have a good idea who that is
Why I oughta...
Old 03-17-2012   #775
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

With the 93rd pick of the draft the Baltimore Ravens select...

Derek Wolfe, DE - Cincinnati

I really like Wolfe as a prospect, especially when it comes to his fit in a 3-4 defense. I'll say it right now, he really reminds me of J.J. Watt. Not as athletic or as talented, but the same kind of player. He's a big penetrator, who is great at getting into the backfield and rushing the passer. Wolfe was a 3-year starter at Cincinnati and was named the 2011 Big East Defensive player of the Year after he finished the season with 19.5 tackles for loss and 9.5 sacks. He has a high motor and is one of those "never quit" guys that every team covets.

DE isn't a huge need for Baltimore because they have talent there with Haloti Ngata, Pernell McPhee, and Arthur Jones. However, depth is an issue with starter Cory Redding leaving in Free Agency. Ngata is a monster and has one starting spot locked down, but the other is up for grabs after Redding's departure. McPhee was Redding's primary backup at LE last year and played well, excelling at rushing the passer. Jones was Ngata's backup at the DE/DT spot and will likely continue that role.

I envision McPhee winning the starting LE job, but I think Wolfe will contribute as a rookie as his primary backup while Jones continues to backup Ngata. In the 4-3 alignment, I think Wolfe slides inside to DT on passing downs while Ngata slides down to NT to give the Ravens a front-four pass rush of McPhee, Wolfe, Ngata, and Terrell Suggs. With Baltimore's new hybrid 3-4/4-3 defense the front four is even more important to the pass rush now with less blitzing to be coming from the LB's behind them. I also think it's important for Baltimore to keep getting younger and more athletic up front.

Ravens Draft:
1 - Peter Konz, C - Wisconsin
2 - Ronnell Lewis, OLB - Oklahoma
3 - Derek Wolfe, DE - Cincinnati

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #776
beerlover
Site Contributor

Go figure, Ravens addrress defense. thought OG would be the pick to replace Grubbs, maybe wolverine is plugged in to replacing him via free agent Evan Mathis? Wolfe to wolverine makes sense also with Redding leaving, nice pick

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-17-2012   #777
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Go figure, Ravens addrress defense. thought OG would be the pick to replace Grubbs, maybe wolverine is plugged in to replacing him via free agent Evan Mathis? Wolfe to wolverine makes sense also with Redding leaving, nice pick
Thank you sir.

Ravens re-signed Matt Birk so I see Konz being able to compete with Justin Boren and Jah Reid for the LG spot. Think Konz takes over at Center in 2013 when Birk likely retires. I'll go OG then

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #778
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

With the 94th pick in the Texans Talk Mock Draft the 49'ers select:

Isiah Pead

Seems like a lot of people are down on Pead around here for some reason, but I think he's going to be a good back in the NFL. I think this is a good place to take him. The 49'ers could use some talent on the offensive side of the ball and Pead not only brings that, but he also adds value to the special teams. With Gore and Pead I think the 49'ers will have a formidable one-two punch.

Picks so far:

1) Stephen Hill, WR
2) Brandon Boykin, CB
3) Isiah Pead, RB
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #779
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

After Rey picks:

3.95) New England Patriots - Beerlover -

3.96) New York Giants - KMG 365 -

Round 4

4.97) St Louis Rams - pbat488 -

4.98) Indianapolis Colts - Doppelganger -

4.99) Minnesota Vikings - Section516 -

4.100) Philadelphia Eagles - Shaft75 -

4.101) Cleveland Browns - Dutchrudder -

4.102) Jacksonville Jaguars - Hou-Tex -

4.103) Washington Redskins - Aussie Texan -

4.104) Miami Dolphins - RMartin65 -

4.105) Carolina Panthers - Timekiller -

4.106) Buffalo Bills - Texan4Ever -

4.107) Seattle Seahawks - Ndevine7 -

4.108) Kansas City Chiefs - Honoring Earl 34 -

4.109) New York Jets - kiwitexansfan -

4.110) Washington Redskins - Aussie Texan -

4.111) San Diego Chargers - Srrono -

4.112) Chicago Bears - MistaRed -

4.113) Arizona Cardinals - Brandon420tx -

4.114) Dallas Cowboys - SteelBTexan -

4.115) Philadelphia Eagles - Shaft75 -

4.116) Tennessee Titans - Seņor Stan -

4.117) Cincinnati Bengals - Kaiser Toro -

4.118) Detroit Lions - Super Mario -

4.119) Cleveland Browns - Dutchrudder -

4.120) Pittsburgh Steelers - Stingray -

4.121) Denver Broncos - JCTexan -

4.122) Houston Texans - Bah007 -

4.123) New Orleans Saints - RT22 -

4.124) Green Bay Packers - nytexan -

4.125) Buffalo Bills - Texan4Ever -

4.126) San Francisco 49ers - Rey -

4.127) New England Patriots - beerlover -

4.128) New York Giants - KMG 365 -
Old 03-17-2012   #780
beerlover
Site Contributor

New England selects - Bruce Irvin, OLB West Virginia 6-3 245

Natural stand up rush linebacker, instinctual with probably quickest first step in 2012 NFL Draft. Patriots covet players who excel in space which is measured @ combine in drill sessions, primarily 3-cone drill were Bruce had the second fastest time ever for a DE. His 20 yard shuttle was the fastest ever along with solid numbers lifting, 23, vertical 33 1/2, BJ 10-3 40-yd Dash: 4.50 (1st among DLs, unofficially a 4.43 on 2nd run)'

All that said do his numbers (combine) support his other numbers (game stats)? Well in his two years @ West Virginia only Ryan Kerrigan (drafted 16th last year by the skins) had more sacks in two years with 23.5 compared to Bruce Irvin"s 22 sacks. His frame could support another 5-10 lbs creating a monster 250 lb OLB with burst & bubble, long arms 33 1/2" to rip past blockers & change of direction ability to deflect, tip, break otherwise disrupt any QB's timing & rhythm.

The combination of Perry, who could kick inside to DE in a 3-4 or down with hand in dirt 4-3 along with DT Reyes disrupting & penetrating inside lanes will create pathways for a speed edge rusher in the mold of a Bruce Irvin. I've been checking this mock expecting to make another pick but this selection just came the Patriots way both as value, BPA & need selection. CB position was addressed with Jayron Hosley & Patriots added safety help in free agency with Steve Gregory along with Anthony Gonzalez, WR formerly of the Colts so Bellibeer is hitting on all needs in free agency enhancing ability to select BPA. Patriots also just added Raiders OLB/DE Trevor Scott which will take pressure off a rookie like Irwin so he can excel on special teams, situation pass rushing reps gaining valuable mentoring from proven NFL veteran leadership.

BL

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read