Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-07-2012   #401
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2012 Texans Talk Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
With the 26th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Houston Texans select:

Rueben Randle - WR, LSU

I was greatly tempted to take Nick Perry, the top talent left on the board here. But with the overwhelming need for an impact WR I was forced to take one here.

The choice came down to Randle or Stephen Hill. Despite Hill's higher potential ceiling I decided to go with Randle. I think he has a higher floor and the ability to be a bigger contributor at the beginning of his career.

Randle has good size and speed. He catches the ball with great hands instead of letting it come into his body. He runs great routes down the field. He may need some work on his underneath routes but I am confident that he has the skills and potential of a first round prospect.
Solid pick. I think you nailed the position, we'll have to see about the player? I would have taken Hill.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #402
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I know you're joking, but I'll use this opportunity to say that Randle reminds me a lot of Dwayne Bowe. He's not as physically talented as Bowe, but then Bowe is one of the top WR's in the league right now.

Both were highly rated recruits and both contributed early in their careers at LSU. Similar size, with Bowe being a bit heavier and Randle being taller, and similar measureables.

Bowe had a better statistical career although he benefited from better QB play and a more efficient passing attack while he was at LSU, but Randle was one of the top WR's in the SEC the past 2 years despite the QB problems.
Ok, I think I should give him the benefit of the doubt. I forgot about the quarterback problems that LSU has had with Jefferson and Co.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #403
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95464 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
Ok, I think I should give him the benefit of the doubt. I forgot about the quarterback problems that LSU has had with Jefferson and Co.
Doesn't mean I'm right and you're wrong. Perry is a beast and would be BPA whereas Randle is hitting a need. Just depends on your drafting philosophy. I prefer hitting needs and Randle does that. I see Perry as a luxury since Barwin and Reed both played well last year.

My drafting philosophy is to always keep the status quo and to then improve your team. Case in point, if we lose Myers or Brisiel then I would be in favor of an G/C in the 1st to keep the status quo and then a WR in the 2nd to improve the team.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #404
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

As I acknowledged when I made the pick, I really wanted to take Perry. He was the best player left.

But I am much more confident in Barwin/Reed than I am in our situation at WR. Despite Perry's immense talent, I simply couldn't pass on Randle.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #405
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
As I acknowledged when I made the pick, I really wanted to take Perry. He was the best player left.

But I am much more confident in Barwin/Reed than I am in our situation at WR. Despite Perry's immense talent, I simply couldn't pass on Randle.
As it should be

Especially when you can draft a Curry/Cam Johnson/Irvin in Rd 2-3.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #406
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

What about our depth at OLB. We've got nothing behind Barwin and Reed. Yes, we do need to start looking for WRs, but BPA would be Perry.

I'd go with Perry, but that's just me.
Old 03-07-2012   #407
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
What about our depth at OLB. We've got nothing behind Barwin and Reed. Yes, we do need to start looking for WRs, but BPA would be Perry.

I'd go with Perry, but that's just me.
I will definitely be targeting OLB depth in the next few rounds.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-07-2012   #408
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94067 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate the fact Perry went to the Patriots.
Old 03-07-2012   #409
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Who's pick is it?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #410
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Packers nytexan
Ravens WolverineFan
49ers Rey
Patriots Beerlover
Giants KMG 365
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #411
nytexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 1436 nytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The Green Bay Packers take with the 28th pick take Andre Branch from Clemson University
Old 03-07-2012   #412
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I hate the fact Perry went to the Patriots.
Look on the bright side...in last year's mock draft the Patriots drafted JJ Watt AND Brooks Reed. So maybe history repeats itself...
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #413
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Stan View Post
Look on the bright side...in last year's mock draft the Patriots drafted JJ Watt AND Brooks Reed. So maybe history repeats itself...
Link to last year's results:

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80277

Fun to look back and see where guys went.
Old 03-07-2012   #414
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Stan View Post
So, in reality I could be making the Texans picks?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #415
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95464 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

With the 29th pick the the mock draft the Baltimore Ravens select.....

Peter Konz - C, Wisconsin

Konz is not the most talented guy still left on my board, but he definitely fits the biggest need for Baltimore. The Ravens have a huge need on the interior line at LG and C. Ben Grubbs is a free agent and will be leaving for a big contract elsewhere, which leaves a huge hole at LG. At Center, Matt Birk and Andre Gurode are both free agents although I expect the Ravens to retain Gurode.

Gurode played decent at C last year, but really struggled when pressed into duty as an OG. With this in mind I aimed to fix the hole at OG instead of C and selected, what I believe to be, the most talented interior O-Lineman left on the board to plug that hole. What put me over the top on the selection is Konz's versatility to play either G or C.

I see Konz sliding in at the LG position as a rookie and competing for the starting job next year with 2nd year player Justin Boren. I do see him as the Center of the future though and eventually I expect Konz to move to Center as Gurode is phased out of the offense.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #416
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

With the 30th pick in the draft the San Fran Gold Heads selct:

Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech

He'll be trading in one gold helmet for another.

Adding another weapon to this offense will help pay dividends down the road. Hopefully he can be the deep threat that they wanted Teddy Ginn to be. He will likely not be ready for a starting role from day 1, but he should be able to provide more exploxsive plays to this offense throughout the course of the season. In the future, he and Crabtree could form a dynamic duo.
Old 03-07-2012   #417
krocket
Rookie

Rep Power: 135 krocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
With the 30th pick in the draft the San Fran Gold Heads selct:

Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech.....
Sorry, but I think we took him at 26
krocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #418
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by krocket View Post
Sorry, but I think we took him at 26
Didn't the Texans take Rueben Randle?

Edit: I just checked...you are incorrect...

NO MORE SOUP FOR U!!!!

Last edited by Rey; 03-07-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-07-2012   #419
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Didn't the Texans take Rueben Randle?
Yes. Gave the team to Bah007 to run instead of doing the never ending poll.
Old 03-07-2012   #420
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Yes. Gave the team to Bah007 to run instead of doing the never ending poll.
I vote for Tannehill

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read