Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-22-2012   #41
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are you scared to pay Foster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunTexans View Post
This is all ridiculous...I have had an opportunity to talk with the family on numerous occasions, The reality about Arian and his family in general, is that they are good people, they instilled great things in all of their kids and his parents carry themselves very well...

When Arian was at Tennessee, he fell out of favor with coaches, that was the reason for the coaches to speak negatively about him. And if you understand sports especially big time college and pros, there are egos involved, and Arian never really "kneeled" to authority like most coaches wanted him to. He didnt disrespect them, he simply felt that he was a human being just like everyone else and deserved to be treated as such and not some piece of meat just because he was playing at that level.

When the time came for coaches to talk to GMs and scouts about him, the coaches spoke badly about him and his "work ethic" simply because he would "submit" like they were used to. (if you follow Foster on Twitter you'll get a great idea what I'm referring to and how he views things) The reality is, the way Arian viewed things didnt sit well with the powers that be and they didnt like it and made an example of Arian, or tried to.

They said Arian always had a great work ethic, he never had a bad one, he just works when no one is around, thats where he puts his work in. All this his bad attitude and bad work ethic is false, I too thought that when I heard the rumors, but after talking with his family in depth and understanding the story, there were a lot of falsehoods with Arian that lead to where he's at now and I dont think any amount of money will change his drive...I say pay him...
Nice to meet you, Arian
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #42
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's see how quickly some of you forget what you're saying right now and come back with some "I told you not to pay him all that crazy money" crap if he pulls a Chris Johnson act after he gets the money.

Revisionist history reigns supreme on this board.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #43
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53040 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

This sums it up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jUBbCgMWmE

Though I've been well-documented in my worry about him turning into Ricky Williams. These aloof, philosophical types always scare me.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #44
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not askeered to pay Foster, but I would be askeered to pay him Chris Johnson money!!!
Old 01-22-2012   #45
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I'm not askeered to pay Foster, but I would be askeered to pay him Chris Johnson money!!!
What the hell do you think his agent is going to be asking for?

Maybe some of you in the "pay the man" crowd might want to hold up until they start bouncing some numbers around.

I notice some are not even answering the question. I'll answer it. He'll yes, I'm scared. I know they have to pay him, but don't think for one god damned minute that I'm not worried that he won't earn it. And you don't pay him for what he did. You pay him for what he will do in the future.

Wait til he tweaks his hammy after he gets his money. I can see the threads already.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #46
JamesBill
Veteran

Rep Power: 3834 JamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunTexans View Post
When Arian was at Tennessee, he fell out of favor with coaches, that was the reason for the coaches to speak negatively about him. And if you understand sports especially big time college and pros, there are egos involved, and Arian never really "kneeled" to authority like most coaches wanted him to. He didnt disrespect them, he simply felt that he was a human being just like everyone else and deserved to be treated as such and not some piece of meat just because he was playing at that level.

When the time came for coaches to talk to GMs and scouts about him, the coaches spoke badly about him and his "work ethic" simply because he would "submit" like they were used to.
They said Arian always had a great work ethic, he never had a bad one, he just works when no one is around, thats where he puts his work in. All this his bad attitude and bad work ethic is false, I too thought that when I heard the rumors, but after talking with his family in depth and understanding the story, there were a lot of falsehoods with Arian that lead to where he's at now and I dont think any amount of money will change his drive...I say pay him...
I am not sure how much of this post I believe but yes Arian does feel at the core is he smarter than the system and prefers to do things his way. That is how you end up missing meetings and getting coaches to not trust you.

He obviously said "screw it I'm a soldier" these last few years and then dominated the NFL. You have to follow rules you think are dumb and needless if you are a player.
JamesBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #47
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 28657 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

To start off - I'll disclose that I think the majority of big money RB deals are stupid (I know it is easy to claim after the season he had, but I was laughing my ass off when the AP deal was announced by the Vikes last year).

With the amount of hits that RBs receive - to pay big money over anything more than 3 years, is absolute nuts. The CJ deal, I can just about live with - yeah he got paid, and yeah he did have an amazing season beforehand - and it is a 4 year deal which isn't too much of a handcuff.

With Arian, I think the Texans should look at a 3 year deal, and try and put in as many incentives as possible. He plays his best with a chip on his shoulder - perhaps playing for this money would work?

He does well to avoid hits - but with RBs they're always one blown cut, or gang tackle away from never being the same player ever again - 25-30 times a game.

Basically, I'm scared as heck - but with Arian's attitude, and performance so far, anything other than giving him a deal in line with similar performers in the league would be franchise madness.
Old 01-22-2012   #48
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71089 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

Maybe some of you in the "pay the man" crowd might want to hold up until they start bouncing some numbers around.

I notice some are not even answering the question. I'll answer it. He'll yes, I'm scared. I know they have to pay him, but don't think for one god damned minute that I'm not worried that he won't earn it. And you don't pay him for what he did. You pay him for what he will do in the future.

Wait til he tweaks his hammy after he gets his money. I can see the threads already.
That whole statment is untrue. You determine how much to pay players based on their past. Sure it is with the hope that they will continue to perform as they did in the past for the remainder of their contract, but to say players arent payed based on the past is absurd. Not to mention Foster hasnt been making squat the last 3 seasons, and he has rushed for more yards than any RB durning that span. There is no way the man dont get tons of money, either from us or by some other team. But it better be from us.
Old 01-22-2012   #49
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

First off, don't paint me as a guy that would overpay for a running back. I was a guy that was okay with Vonta walking.

That said, dude (Arian) deserves to be paid as one of the top three running backs in the league (Chris Johnson's contract aside).. SO, I go back to my original response, NO, I'm not askeered, given the parameters that I set forth.
Old 01-22-2012   #50
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't pay foster and there will be problems down at reliant.

Not only will foster probably feel uneasy/upset, but it does not send a good message to the rest of the players especially the rb group.

The man is a beast, he's proved himself as a playmaker, he didn't raise a fuss about his contract this year; pay the man. The end.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #51
JamesBill
Veteran

Rep Power: 3834 JamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Don't pay foster and there will be problems down at reliant.
Yeah, he won't be there. If you don't agree to a contract and just tender him, he can sign it whenever he wants without penalty until the first regular season game.

And then he will become unrestricted and almost certainly leave. You have to pay him. I am just asking how scared we should be about it.
JamesBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #52
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBill View Post
Just to be clear, I am not saying don't pay him or he doesn't deserve it.

He deserves it, we should do the right thing and pay him.

I am asking is any part of you a little scared he will revert back to old ways. After a possible long negotiation.

For the record, YES. I am a tiny bit worried BUT what choice do we really have? I say pay the man and hope for the best. Only move to make here.
Old 01-22-2012   #53
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't like paying anybody crazy money. With Foster this is the year to pay him and still keep good feelings. He is a special talent. He is a RB so obviously you have the chance of injury. If you don't work something out this year it will be a lose/lose choice next year. Kind of like what we have with Mario this year. I think Foster may have that chip on his shoulder that keeps his fire burning. Treat him fairly and I think he goes to battle for you. Try to play salary games with him and i think he remembers. Anybody remember by the way when Chris Brown was our stud back. I think paying him now is the only choice and the right choice.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #54
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBill View Post
Yeah, he won't be there. If you don't agree to a contract and just tender him, he can sign it whenever he wants without penalty until the first regular season game.

And then he will become unrestricted and almost certainly leave. You have to pay him. I am just asking how scared we should be about it.
I'm not scared at all.

I think foster will be a good back for a while.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #55
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not scared because it's not my money, but as a Texans fan I'm emotionally invested in this team. Foster deserves to "get paid" but I hope it's not a very long contract like a a 6 or 7 year deal. I think a 4 year deal is what the Texans should be looking at and as good as Foster is running backs just don't last a long time.
Old 01-22-2012   #56
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 97647 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't get past the fact that this is the same plug and play Denver running attack that made Clinton Portis look like the best running back in football for a few years. He looked less than Hall of Fame in Washington.

I think Foster is a terrific talent and a great player, but a lot of what he does is thanks to a line filled with players who garnered All-Pro votes (Brown, Myers and Winston) and a proven system that pulls 1,000 yard 5 ypc rushers out of nowhere.

Without a doubt I offer him the top RFA tender this year, and if some fool wants to hand over a 1 and a 3 I take it and run unless the contract is favorable enough to make me bite.

Next year, if he's still a top guy, I offer him a fair, but certainly not CJ, contract.

For reference, his backup has rushed for a full ypc or more better than Foster the last two seasons behind the same line and the same scheme.

Foster 2010 4.9
Ward 2010 6.3
Foster 2011 4.4
Tate 2011 5.4

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #57
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Answer: Yes. Pay him.

Rationale:
Our running game works like a charm; even when defenses know it's coming. Why screw with success? Sign Foster and keep Tate.

I think Rick Smith learned from his Dunta experience that he won't overpay Foster and I've seen nothing in Foster's behavior to indicate he's got the kind of ego that says he wants to be the highest paid RB in football. I believe that a good deal for both Foster and the Texans will be struck.

If I'm wrong and Foster is greedy, then we tender him and hope someone else opens their checkbook to Foster's liking and we get extra picks. I don't see a losing scenario from a Texans viewpoint.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #58
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Threads like this remind me that we've been a Drayton McLane town waaaaaay too long. The Texans won't be the NFL's farm club.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012   #59
LongTimeLurker
#1 UTSA Fan

Rep Power: 0 LongTimeLurker is a quality contributor and well respectedLongTimeLurker is a quality contributor and well respectedLongTimeLurker is a quality contributor and well respectedLongTimeLurker is a quality contributor and well respectedLongTimeLurker is a quality contributor and well respectedLongTimeLurker is a quality contributor and well respectedLongTimeLurker is a quality contributor and well respectedLongTimeLurker is a quality contributor and well respectedLongTimeLurker is a quality contributor and well respectedLongTimeLurker is a quality contributor and well respectedLongTimeLurker is a quality contributor and well respected

no way, he deserves to get paid no question about it...he could have easily held out this year
LongTimeLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012   #60
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont see how you cant be scared. Sure, he seems like a stand up guy. And sure, his playing style helps him avoid big hits. But the fact is that he is a runningback, a position that has the shortest career on average. He has a history of injuries, and even without that, all it takes is one freak occurrence.

I still want Foster to be resigned, but to just throw money at the man is stupid.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read