Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-22-2012   #21
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are you scared to pay Foster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
And rightfully so, we found him, gave him a chance. i think he knows that and is grateful for it, well that is until he gets a big multi million million dollar signing bonus, and then after a solid 4 seasons here gets offered a BIGGER mulit million signing bonus. Funny how money changes people, but i would love for foster to remain a texan and retire one as well.

People can say what they want about bob and rick smith, but we generally get good character guys, i think thats one reason we dont see many big changes to the roster every season, guys want to stay here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post
Thanks for info 76Texan!! Local media info never gets here in Japan so, I appreciated that info.

Go Texans!!!
Samurai, I think we local fans (myself included) want to remind ourselves to provide these tidbits to our friends who don't have the access.

It's the same thing as I appreciate those who attend TC (I don't get to go to but maybe once a year.)

(Your) being in Japan, you're certainly more atuned to the Asian religions and philosophies than many here in the states.
Foster's philosophy is East-meet-West somewhere, which I can understand and I'm pretty sure you do to, is my assumption correct?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #22
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post

foster is an elite back with houston, and will remain so if he stays, but is not going to have this much success with any other team. he is built for this system and playing behind arguably the best line in football (just ask the ravens "no 100yd rushers" defense).
Seattle runs the same "system"
Old 01-22-2012   #23
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Samurai, I think we local fans (myself included) want to remind ourselves to provide these tidbits to our friends who don't have the access.

It's the same thing as I appreciate those who attend TC (I don't get to go to but maybe once a year.)

(Your) being in Japan, you're certainly more atuned to the Asian religions and philosophies than many here in the states.
Foster's philosophy is East-meet-West somewhere, which I can understand and I'm pretty sure you do to, is my assumption correct?
I really appreciate local info. I lived in Texas for more than 10 years however, I left Texas over 20yrs ago and no up to date info at all. Only way to find out about Houston through Internet so, local info helps.

Correct. Foster may fits well in Hawaii? The way he talks and do things somehow reminds me a bit of Asian kinda way.

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #24
le14
Rookie

Rep Power: 17 le14 is a Hall of Famerle14 is a Hall of Famerle14 is a Hall of Famerle14 is a Hall of Famerle14 is a Hall of Famerle14 is a Hall of Famerle14 is a Hall of Famerle14 is a Hall of Famerle14 is a Hall of Famerle14 is a Hall of Famer

Nope I am not, CJ1K is an idiot, period.

Arian is/has been a class act throughout his time in Houston. If you follow him on twitter, I cannot see anyone would not like the guy. He's humble, a hard worker, a listener, respects the game, oh yeah and a hell of a RB.

Plus CJ1K relies on one thing, Speed while Arian's game is more balanced (vision, catching, speed, blocking, etc)
le14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #25
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 89811 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

drunk edit

Last edited by Scooter; 01-22-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #26
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 123638 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

If I paid Foster and for whatever reason it turned out to be a mistake I could hold my head high knowing I did what any sane person would do.

Pay the man.
Old 01-22-2012   #27
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't forget in the whole Chris Johnson debate, the guy held out of what little offseason the NFL managed to cobble together last year. Now that was his own choice, yes, but who's to tell what effect that had on his production. Maybe he wasn't all out tanking?

Either way, Foster seems like the type of guy who has a real hunger to become the best he can be, I also think he's pragmatic enough to realise that his previous work ethic problems led to his career nearly being over before it had begun, how many practice squad UDFA's would ever even get the chance to show how good they were, let alone be able to take it with both hands?

You have to pay this guy, when taking how well he fits our system into account, how many guys would be ahead of him all-time in the NFL for this system? Its gonna be a pretty short list.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-22-2012   #28
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not afraid to pay Foster some of Uncle Bob's money for the following reasons:

1. He's earned it. His value to the team vs the value of his contract has been ridiculous for the past two seasons. He's an elite back, and he deserves to be paid like it. Paying Foster sets a good precedent for the rest of the team and lets them know that if they work hard and seize their opportunity, they could be rewarded just like Foster.

2. He's only 25 and seemingly has a lot of tread left on his tires. If he continues to average ~20 carries a game, he should be very productive for the next 5 seasons, considering his elusive running style, his habit of not taking big hits, and the emergence of Ben Tate as a capable running mate. Guys like Johnson fade away quicker than guys like Foster because Johnson's game is all speed.

3. This is obviously perception, but Foster doesn't seem like the type that would take the money and then get lazy. Every interview I've seen, he's mentioned being undrafted, and the wake up call that was for him, and how it lit a fire in him. His sole motivation isn't money. He's not a Haynesworth. He'll take his money and get back to work, focusing on what he needs to do to become the best RB he can possibly become. He's still improving, and paying him now should prove to be a smart financial decision. It's similar to what the Cardinals did with Pujols. They signed him for $14.5MM/year through his prime and then let another team sign him for more once he was starting to decline.
Old 01-22-2012   #29
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully I don't go into any rants this off season about insane pay for professional athletics. But not scared to pay Foster money that isn't mine. Foster is a fine young man, with a good head on his shoulders, he is not CJ. Foster will get paid. The problem is in the future, and that is paying Tate AND Foster.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #30
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's another thing:

I believe it when Foster says that he will always remember not getting drafted. I believe he will be motivated by that his entire career.

I believe. Pay the MAN.

....even if he is weird.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #31
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 23727 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't worry about it.

If he developes a CJ2K attitude, Cushing will have a "chat" with him.
Old 01-22-2012   #32
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74252 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
If I paid Foster and for whatever reason it turned out to be a mistake I could hold my head high knowing I did what any sane person would do.

Pay the man.
^^^^
This

But
1. Foster had maturity issues at Tennessee, it's why he was an UDFA
2. He really didn't see the field much as a rookie. Gary said it was because Foster needed to learn how to be a professional football player.
3. 2010, remember the Oakland game where Foster was benched as a disclinary action?
4. 2011, does anybody else remember Fosters twitter release of his MRI (hamstring? and the uproar it caused in the Texans organization, not to mention with the fan base?

Bottom line is, yes Foster has maturity issues. But he's ultra talented. I would sign him for 6 yrs at whatever the market bears. With an opt out after 3 yrs. Keeping a RB like Tate nipping at Fosters heels should keep him motivated.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #33
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

If Foster was motivated by money I think he would have held out before this season.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #34
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
If Foster was motivated by money I think he would have held out before this season.
Why, he still had 2 years left on his contract.

The "usual" hold out time, is before the last year of his contract, which is now.
Old 01-22-2012   #35
Lady.Gaga.3000
Veteran

Rep Power: 418 Lady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respectedLady.Gaga.3000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Does Foster deserve it? Absolutely, no questions.

The only thing that worries me is the short shelf life of running backs. Look at the top running backs today. How many are left from 2006 or earlier that are still producing? I think MJD and Steven Jackson are the only ones, and their bodies are bruisers.
Lady.Gaga.3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #36
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 82763 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady.Gaga.3000 View Post
Does Foster deserve it? Absolutely, no questions.

The only thing that worries me is the short shelf life of running backs. Look at the top running backs today. How many are left from 2006 or earlier that are still producing? I think MJD and Steven Jackson are the only ones, and their bodies are bruisers.
But with how elusive foster is, he often times avoids the big hit, i think he will have a solid 5-6 seasons a a top NFL running back and then 3-4 after that to where he is still productive but slowing down a little.
Old 01-22-2012   #37
RunTexans
Rookie

This is all ridiculous...I have had an opportunity to talk with the family on numerous occasions, The reality about Arian and his family in general, is that they are good people, they instilled great things in all of their kids and his parents carry themselves very well...

When Arian was at Tennessee, he fell out of favor with coaches, that was the reason for the coaches to speak negatively about him. And if you understand sports especially big time college and pros, there are egos involved, and Arian never really "kneeled" to authority like most coaches wanted him to. He didnt disrespect them, he simply felt that he was a human being just like everyone else and deserved to be treated as such and not some piece of meat just because he was playing at that level.

When the time came for coaches to talk to GMs and scouts about him, the coaches spoke badly about him and his "work ethic" simply because he would "submit" like they were used to. (if you follow Foster on Twitter you'll get a great idea what I'm referring to and how he views things) The reality is, the way Arian viewed things didnt sit well with the powers that be and they didnt like it and made an example of Arian, or tried to.

They said Arian always had a great work ethic, he never had a bad one, he just works when no one is around, thats where he puts his work in. All this his bad attitude and bad work ethic is false, I too thought that when I heard the rumors, but after talking with his family in depth and understanding the story, there were a lot of falsehoods with Arian that lead to where he's at now and I dont think any amount of money will change his drive...I say pay him...
RunTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #38
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

it's a waste of time worrying about this imo. Foster doesn't have that crackhead-like tic that Chris Johnson has, so he'll be fine - I think Cloak can back me up on that.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #39
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

You don't have any choice but to pay Foster I think. I believe it's the right move but even if I didn't you have to know that if you don't pay him and let him go somewhere else (regardless of what you get in return) then you set a precedent that will hurt us in the future. The man performed for you on a UDFA contract and he did so at an All-Pro level without ever (to my knowledge) bitching about his money.

If you want that kind of player you reward that.
Old 01-22-2012   #40
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Umm sorry, but this question is like asking if you're scared to sleep with a beautiful woman.

PAY THE MAN.
This!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read