Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Demeco Ryans

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I'm re-watching the game... On the Anquan Boldin TD, if you can, please take a look at it.

Demeco blows up the middle & runs the F@#k over Vonta Leach & Ray Rice.... only a fraction of a second from Flacco before he throws the TD...

Awesome play by Demeco.

Awesome! So what exactly is up with his injuries? Where is he health wise? Will he finally be back to 100% next season? Scary thought... if he is, and Mario comes back, we easily have the best LB core in the NFL.

Barwin blew up the backfield on the Ravens other touchdown. The defense played lights out the entire game. The Ravens offense started their touchdown drives at the goal-line and at Houston's 34 yard line. All they needed was thirty-six yards to score two touchdowns.

I thought DeMeco was playing much better at the end of the season. I was worried about him midway into the season but not so much anymore. I think that when the gigantic arm device comes off and he is another 6 months away from his surgery, he will be playing like he used to play on a regular basis.

I thought DeMeco was playing much better at the end of the season. I was worried about him midway into the season but not so much anymore. I think that when the gigantic arm device comes off and he is another 6 months away from his surgery, he will be playing like he used to play on a regular basis.

Agree, DeMeco was playing better later of the season and anxious to see him play in old DeMeco form next year. If we sign Mario and draft quality back up ILB, we are set at LB position IMO.

Go Texans!!!

Any way you can post Leach getting steam rolled by Ryans? I remember when that happened and couldn't believe it! It was that awesome!

...............................................................TACKLES..........................................
................................G...... GS......Comb......Total......Ast......Sck
2011 Houston Texans...16......16..........64...........44.......20.......0.0
2010 Houston Texans... 6........6..........54...........32........22......1.0
2009 Houston Texans...16.......16.........123.........93.......30.......1.0
2008 Houston Texans...16.......16.........112.........86.......26.......1.0
2007 Houston Texans...16.......16.........128.........99.......29.......2.0
2006 Houston Texans...16.......16.........155........125.......30.......3.5

...............................................................TACKLES..........................................
................................G...... GS......Comb......Total......Ast......Sck

At least the way he was used in 2011, I don't ever see him generating those huge tackle numbers. He does not play in the Texans pass units which they are in probably 35-40 percent of the snaps. As long as he is effective in the 3-4 base unit and short yardage units, I will be happy.

Doc, with a cast on his arm will limit his tackling and mobility. Without it and more time to heal, I would expect those number to increase next year. But healing part(medical) is your field so I can't comment on the matter. But I truly believe DeMeco' # will increase next year due to the above reason.

Go Texans!!!

Last edited:
At least the way he was used in 2011, I don't ever see him generating those huge tackle numbers. He does not play in the Texans pass units which they are in probably 35-40 percent of the snaps. As long as he is effective in the 3-4 base unit and short yardage units, I will be happy.

It would be nice to go back & look at Wade's defenses from Dallas, San Diego, Buffalo, Atlanta, & Denver. If it is his normal scheme to go to a dime package in passing situations, then you've seriously got to think about Demeco's place on this team & contract.

If he normally plays 2 ILBs in passing situations, then Demeco will be on the field more, getting more opportunity.

However, I do like dropping Quin into the box & bringing another safety on the field. Quin tackles like a LB & covers like a CB...

It would be nice to go back & look at Wade's defenses from Dallas, San Diego, Buffalo, Atlanta, & Denver. If it is his normal scheme to go to a dime package in passing situations, then you've seriously got to think about Demeco's place on this team & contract.

If he normally plays 2 ILBs in passing situations, then Demeco will be on the field more, getting more opportunity.

However, I do like dropping Quin into the box & bringing another safety on the field. Quin tackles like a LB & covers like a CB...

From living this way, the one thing that Mr. fix-it does is play to his personel. In short, that's why Wade is able to walk in and turn things around immediately. The Texans defense blitzed way more than the Cowboys the last couple of years he was in Dallas. While he runs a base pentrating 3-4, Wade attempts to not ask guys to do things they are not good at doing while putting them in position do what they do best as often as possible.

From living this way, the one thing that Mr. fix-it does is play to his personel. In short, that's why Wade is able to walk in and turn things around immediately. The Texans defense blitzed way more than the Cowboys the last couple of years he was in Dallas. While he runs a base pentrating 3-4, Wade attempts to not ask guys to do things they are not good at doing while putting them in position do what they do best as often as possible.

Which pretty much is asking the same question I just asked.

Would a healthier Demeco see more playing time, or would Wade continue to use dime packages in passing situations?

Which pretty much is asking the same question I just asked.

Would a healthier Demeco see more playing time, or would Wade continue to use dime packages in passing situations?

As I remember, Dallas played more in thier base defense with Brookings (Ryans) and James (Cushing) than the Texans did this year. I think (speculation) that Demeco would get a handful of plays more, but that overall skill and depth of the Texans DBs is better (not kiddin') than any point with the Cowboys. Even healthy Ryans was just okay in coverage, so I can't believe he would be fulltime 3 down LBer regularly.

Could it be that the weak link inside was plugged? JJ Watt is amazing but at the same time... Okoye was that much worse. By that I mean... Ryans tackles decrease because they're doing their jobs upfront by not letting the ball get to the second level.

I also think that Ryans is a natural leader. He is an instinctive player with football smarts. He understands EXACTLY what he has to do and if that means letting somebody else take the spotlight, it's done a la Cushing. DeMeco Ryans is the ultimate team player, high-motor, heart, smart, all coupled with MAD SKILLS!

He's twice the player that Morlon Greenwood was... and I liked him.

Demeco is a load in the middle and to be honest we don't need mario he is a luxury that we can no longer afford and I think we need to do a sign & trade and get picks for him. With Demeco leading the way with Brian Cushing, Connor Barwin & Brooks Reed we are set with the starting Backers now we will need that 3rd OLB pass rusher to be drafted with one of the extra picks we get for Mario. Demeco is our leader on defense he is the man.

Demeco is a load in the middle and to be honest we don't need mario he is a luxury that we can no longer afford and I think we need to do a sign & trade and get picks for him. With Demeco leading the way with Brian Cushing, Connor Barwin & Brooks Reed we are set with the starting Backers now we will need that 3rd OLB pass rusher to be drafted with one of the extra picks we get for Mario. Demeco is our leader on defense he is the man.

These are also my thoughts on the subject. A healthy Demeco should prove to be a much improved Demeco. I'll be sad to see the huge arm device gone though. It made him look like a cybernetic organism -- living tissue over metal endoskeleton. Either that or like Bishop from Marvel comics...

701825-x_men_bishop__001_large.jpg

i really thought demeco was done, and said as much earlier in the season. i still worry that he cant cover (never could), but the way he played in the ladder half of the season as he continued to heal was inspiring (knowing it would take 2 full seasons to come back from his achilles injury, and then the bum elbow). few ILB's can read and beat blocks like a healthy demeco and my tune has changed, if he's healthy next season i think he's a perfect pairing to cushing in our base formation.

Anybody thinking that as DeMeco gets healthier he begins to take some snaps away from Cushing as the single ILB, freeing up Cush to attack from the outside spot once in a while? Just something that occurred to me.

Throughout the season I saw DeMeco around the ball carrier an awful lot, his play actually surprised me, it often wasn't him making the final play but he was there influencing it enough.

One of CnD's comments from before this season has stuck with me however, I seem to recall him warning that players coming back from such injuries often had their best performance post injury in their first season back, in spite of that performance being down on pre-injury form.

I do worry about his contract though. No matter how good he plays he earns way too much for a LB who comes off the field on passing downs, that could become a problem in a year or two.

Anybody thinking that as DeMeco gets healthier he begins to take some snaps away from Cushing as the single ILB, freeing up Cush to attack from the outside spot once in a while? Just something that occurred to me.

Throughout the season I saw DeMeco around the ball carrier an awful lot, his play actually surprised me, it often wasn't him making the final play but he was there influencing it enough.

One of CnD's comments from before this season has stuck with me however, I seem to recall him warning that players coming back from such injuries often had their best performance post injury in their first season back, in spite of that performance being down on pre-injury form.

I do worry about his contract though. No matter how good he plays he earns way too much for a LB who comes off the field on passing downs, that could become a problem in a year or two.

demeco wont take any snaps from cushing, but being healthy may give wade more options. it also wouldnt affect our outside rush which wade prefers OLB's and safety/corner blitzes 99% of the time when blitzing from the outside. what a healthy demeco does is allow wade to blitz him (ryans) over the center more often instead of only cushing - and it gives freedom to more zone blitzes (including interior stunts and "stretch" rushes).

at 100% demeco is a horrible cover linebacker and wont be asked to do much without a major blitz in place (and will still come off on passing downs), but if healthy he adds another dimension to how we attack the line of scrimmage with our base personnel that we rarely saw this season - which is pretty exciting.

Last edited:

My thought is that he'll take snaps away from our 3rd Safety... Nolan or Demps.

Cushing isn't the edge-rusher that Barwin and Reed are and it's too impractical from a cap-managmenet perspective to retain 2 high-cap-number inside-LBs when Wades defense calls for only one 3-down inside guy.
There are teams that can probably use DeMeco as a 3-down LB in their defensive schemes, one of which is where DeMeco will probably end up playing for this upcoming season.
DeMeco is one of my favorate players and I would hate to lose him, but unless he's willing to modify/restructure his contract it's unlikely that he's a Texan in the 2012 season.

DeMeco is one of my favorate players and I would hate to lose him, but unless he's willing to modify/restructure his contract it's unlikely that he's a Texan in the 2012 season.

I am not quite sure a split would happen so soon, even if it were a given it would happen. I would think as long as Cushing is on his rookie deal, we will keep Ryans around, and then the tough decision will be made as to if we keep him when we have the spend the money on Cushing.

I am not quite sure a split would happen so soon, even if it were a given it would happen. I would think as long as Cushing is on his rookie deal, we will keep Ryans around, and then the tough decision will be made as to if we keep him when we have the spend the money on Cushing.

Ryans was simply stepping up his game at the end of the year. Saying he's horrible on coverage is about the same as any ILB... There are only so many Ray Lewis/Patrick Willis/Urlacher in the league.

I think we'll see Ryans restructure his contract this year in helping the team make the caps moves.

DeMeco signed a six year contract with $21.75 mil guaranteed in 2010. He isn't going anywhere soon - it just makes no financial sense. Cushing's rookie contract goes through the next two seasons.

I wonder what would've happened with D-Ryans if Sharpton never went down. Sharpton was playing a lot of snaps in front of D-Ryans.

I'm a huge D-Ryans fan and really hope he continues to improve as he becomes more confident with his injury.

I wonder what would've happened with D-Ryans if Sharpton never went down. Sharpton was playing a lot of snaps in front of D-Ryans.

I'm a huge D-Ryans fan and really hope he continues to improve as he becomes more confident with his injury.

The man is coming back from an Achilles injury. Sharpton was not getting snaps because he's a better LB than Demeco. He was getting snaps because he was healthier.

And then he restructured prior to the 2011 season which only makes your point about making no financial sense more valid.
But does it make sense to have that kind of cap tie-up in a player who comes off of the field in nickel situations ? It seems to me that Cushing is the only ILB we could justify that kind of cap for since he's the only player at his position who's on the field for every defensive down ?

Which means he will have to restructure his contract or they will release him.

Demeco is a HUGE part of what goes on behind the scenes. According to multiple players Demeco is very important to the D and is a mentor to a lot of them. Demeco will be a Texan until he retires.

CND's analysis of his injury is troubling to me as well. He has been right more often than wrong in regards to this stuff.

I doubt that.

The reason you use a third safety is because a safety can usually do things that a middle linebacker can't.

& a MLB can do things a safety can not.

My point is, this has not been a "staple" of Wade's system. At least I can't find anyone to say one way or the other. As far as I can tell, the Dime package was not Wade's 3rd down package until this year with us.

Was it because Demeco wasn't 100%, was it because Quin is that good?

I don't know.

Back