Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-21-2012   #21
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Solomon sees disturbing trend with Phillips after first year DC

Isn't Soloman the guy who trashes the Texans regulary because he is a baseball guru with a football hard on. I really give a lot of people on this board more credit than any Microphone Jockey or Rag writer in Houston. Seems that the only way the Stations can get a Jockey is if they come from another state. Hell the Texans had to Pull Mark V from Florida. I wish they would promote the Houston Skilled and kick the forieners to the curb. I will end with Josh Ennis is terrible and makes Rich Lord Look Bad as if he needed help.
Old 01-21-2012   #22
cbs1507
Veteran

Rep Power: 8663 cbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady.Gaga.3000 View Post
Arian Foster has three plays of no yards so we stop giving him the ball? Ok.
T.J. Yates has x amount of bad throws so we keep letting him throw? If Yates was the reason we were losing than why was he kept in there? I know Delhomme probably would have sucked even worse but the point is just because he was having a recent bad series doesn't mean we abandon him all together.

We had a game plan to let Foster touch the ball 32 times. It was working better than any other offensive factor all game and at times it was working with 8 in the box. And then we stopped using it.

Is it T.J. Yates fault that we stopped using Arian Foster and were calling deep bombs when we had time? If Yates was already making questionably bad calls all game, why were we still letting him even have the option for a high risk throw? Even with a single high safety, the defense didn't show Andre Johnson wide open. He stared down Johnson and made up his mind and chucked it up. It's a horrible decision by Yates, but I'm not mad at him because he's a rookie playing a very good defense. I'm mad at the play calling that did not put him in a position to succeed. He shouldn't even have the option to throw it deep. We had TWO minutes left at the Baltimore 38. There shouldn't be a route going deep unless it were to draw the safety away. Think about that. Two minute warning and we are 38 yards from scoring. And then we call a route that Yates hasn't been executing all game.
Look I get where you are coming from. Foster was our best player, but he did most of his damage in the 2nd quarter. There defense tighten up on us and it became inevitable that we needed Yates to make some plays if we were to win. I'm sorry running 3 times in a row was not going to move the chains. Screens weren't going to work either.

BTW if the coach calls a pass play with 5 options and one of those 5 options gets double or triple teamed...do you honestly consider that bad playcalling?

Just touch on your gripe about being on the 38 with 2 minutes left. The deep route clearly drew a safety because the safety intercepted the ball, with a CB underneath. There were 5 options on the play. He chose the double covered one. Walter and Daniels had 1 on 1 over the middle. If that is bad playcalling, so be it.

I could do a breakdown of what happened on every INT, but I'll just keep it short and tell you they had nothing to do with playcalling. If you want the ball in Foster's hand Yates had a chance to do that on the plass plays. He missed out on that opportunity. Which was surprising to me because during the 3 games slide all he did was checkdown to Foster or a TE. I think the main issue was confidence. Yates wanted to go to AJ because he felt more comfortable throwing to our best player. That's is more of a rookie mistake than a playcalling issue. To blame playcalling for it, is just a cop out IMO.
cbs1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012   #23
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady.Gaga.3000 View Post
Arian Foster has three plays of no yards so we stop giving him the ball? Ok.
T.J. Yates has x amount of bad throws so we keep letting him throw? If Yates was the reason we were losing than why was he kept in there? I know Delhomme probably would have sucked even worse but the point is just because he was having a recent bad series doesn't mean we abandon him all together.

We had a game plan to let Foster touch the ball 32 times. It was working better than any other offensive factor all game and at times it was working with 8 in the box. And then we stopped using it.

Is it T.J. Yates fault that we stopped using Arian Foster and were calling deep bombs when we had time? If Yates was already making questionably bad calls all game, why were we still letting him even have the option for a high risk throw? Even with a single high safety, the defense didn't show Andre Johnson wide open. He stared down Johnson and made up his mind and chucked it up. It's a horrible decision by Yates, but I'm not mad at him because he's a rookie playing a very good defense. I'm mad at the play calling that did not put him in a position to succeed. He shouldn't even have the option to throw it deep. We had TWO minutes left at the Baltimore 38. There shouldn't be a route going deep unless it were to draw the safety away. Think about that. Two minute warning and we are 38 yards from scoring. And then we call a route that Yates hasn't been executing all game.
Again, you have a poor understanding of play calling. Just because the ball was thrown deep doesn't mean that was the call. On the INT to Andre, OD was wide open in the middle of the field. It would have been a good pick-up, but not what I would call deep.

As far as going away from Foster... I didn't say it was a good decision, I said that was Charlie Pallilo's understanding & it made sense. The defense wasn't going to let Foster win the game...

Before the last int to Andre, Yates threw like three strikes picking up 13+ yards each time... I personally thought it was a good time to go back to the ground to keep the defense honest...

But we didn't.
Old 01-21-2012   #24
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbs1507 View Post
I think the main issue was confidence. Yates wanted to go to AJ because he felt more comfortable throwing to our best player. That's is more of a rookie mistake than a playcalling issue. To blame playcalling for it, is just a cop out IMO.
Even on that INT, I think the decision was right, he just took too long to pull the trigger. Had he thrown the ball earlier, he wouldn't have had to throw it so deep, Reed wouldn't have got to it & Andre would have had a better play on it.

Poor confidence may have led him to holding it too long.
Old 01-21-2012   #25
cbs1507
Veteran

Rep Power: 8663 cbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Even on that INT, I think the decision was right, he just took too long to pull the trigger. Had he thrown the ball earlier, he wouldn't have had to throw it so deep, Reed wouldn't have got to it & Andre would have had a better play on it.

Poor confidence may have led him to holding it too long.
That's why I think it was a good call. Kubiak noticed this so he wanted to show Yates he had confidence in him. Yates looked off to the middle, but as you said he hesitated. Could we have mix in a run or 2? Most definitely. But to be honest, taking a shot to the endzone on 1st down is not a bad decision IMO. If Yates doesn't hesitate, it could be a TD. Also, he had Walter and Daniels over the middle with 1 on 1 since Reed went over to AJ after the hesitation. It's not like their pass rush was getting to him that game (or on that play).
cbs1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012   #26
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33796 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm excited to see what Wade can do with a full season of Mario Williams at outside linebacker. He's the strongest and most dominating defensive player in the league. Nobody can block him one on one when he's playing at a high level. Not even sure two guys can stop him.
Bulls on Parade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012   #27
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 31996 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
I'm excited to see what Wade can do with a full season of Mario Williams at outside linebacker. He's the strongest and most dominating defensive player in the league. Nobody can block him one on one when he's playing at a high level. Not even sure two guys can stop him.
Thats highly debatable, I personally haven't seen it. Good, yes, most dominating, uhh, no.
Old 01-21-2012   #28
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Solomon has to say SOMEthing during the off-season to keep readers interested. We finished #2, there isn't much room for improvement. Even the Ravens knew we'd have won w/ Schuab in there. The future is bright, no matter what a Boston reject says.
It could be a case where the Texans defense is actually better, but the stats don't show. W/o taking into account injuries the Texans will face Brady, Rodgers, Stafford, and Cutler. Almost too much goodness for them to rank that highly. Does not mean that the defense won't be effective.
Old 01-21-2012   #29
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
It could be a case where the Texans defense is actually better, but the stats don't show. W/o taking into account injuries the Texans will face Tebow Brady, Rodgers, Stafford, and Cutler. Almost too much goodness for them to rank that highly. Does not mean that the defense won't be effective.
Fixed it for you. Looks more difficult that way.
Old 01-21-2012   #30
kingh99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Now that I've had time to think about it, it is valid to point out a pattern and discuss it. Yes, there are some similarities and coincidences. But let's also consider the differences. Were any of those defenses #1 or #2 in the league? Did they come back with the same personnel and coaches? Was there general stability within the organization?

There is a lot to consider, and the idea that Phillips doesn't give as much effort in his second year as DC is possible, but improbable.
Okay so I am doing what Solomon wouldn't/couldn't do. I'm looking into the circumstances of each instance when DC Wade took over as HC for a troubled HC. First Episode. QB HC butting heads in Denver. Reason? John Elway in his early prime years was in open rebellion against fixture HC/GM Dan Reeves. Reeves went so far as draft Tommy Maddox in the first f-ing round in 92!

Are you kidding me? John Elway is your starting QB in his prime and you draft a QB in the 1st round? Long story short, Wade was a shoulder to lean on for Elway and the obvious one he would endorse when Reeves was finally deposed. We all know what happened next. Wade, having served his purpose, was jettisoned by Elway in favor of Mike Shanahan who along with big John, rode Terrell Davis to Superbowl glory.

Score Wade 1 Hype 0. The digging continues....
Old 01-21-2012   #31
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Fixed it for you. Looks more difficult that way.
I don't know whether to or
Old 01-21-2012   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingh99 View Post
Are you kidding me? John Elway is your starting QB in his prime and you draft a QB in the 1st round? Long story short, Wade was a shoulder to lean on for Elway and the obvious one he would endorse when Reeves was finally deposed. We all know what happened next. Wade, having served his purpose, was jettisoned by Elway in favor of Mike Shanahan who along with big John, rode Terrell Davis to Superbowl glory.

Score Wade 1 Hype 0. The digging continues....
The DC is a shoulder to cry on for the starting QB? Sounds a little fishy to me.

Wade 0 Hype ~1

Old 01-21-2012   #33
kingh99

Okay pt 2, Wade takes over in Buffalo 1998. Here we have a case of the existing successful HC, Marv Levy, losing his allstar QB Jim Kelly to retirement. New QB Todd Collins ends up not getting the job done, and Levy is replaced by Phillips going into 1998.

Second instance of the winding down or pause in the playoff run of a team led by a charismatic, historic figure at QB factoring into Wade getting picked. At Denver the offense was taken care of by virtue of a dominant QB and the need was perceived to be at defense and Buffalo because his defense still performed after the dominant QB left and was replaced by a dud - Todd Collins.

Nothing like this exists at the QB position in Houston today. We can only dream of those sort of power plays afters years of being a big time player in the playoffs. If anything this says Kubiak better keep top competition at QB so there is always a great player ready at the helm.

Fast fwd, tired of posting, 2003 Wade takes over for Dan Reeves (again@@, sounds like Dan didn't hold Denver against Wade) at Atlanta. Too funny. Probably some donkey like whats his name Miller at QB. Next stop Dallas.

Wade 2 Hype 0
Old 01-22-2012   #34
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 109012 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

I see a disturbing trend with Solomon, his articles keep getting worse, and worse, and I didn't think that was possible. He has replaced Dick Justice as the new Chronic dumb ass.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #35
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I won't read the article. Waste of time.

TK has it right when he says Wade can't get a HC job if the Texans defense takes several steps backwards in season 2.

The key to this is that Kubiak's offense has to continue making forward progress. If it doesn't, then the whole thing will fall apart...this isn't about Wade vs. Kubiak, this is about two coaches pulling the cart equally and the cart (the whole team) going into the ditch if one falters badly. Who gets the blame is not important, the whole team will suffer for it. So it's up to both guys to keep the cart on the road and out of the ditch.

The one wild card here is Wade's seemingly endless obsession with being a HC again. I am hoping that him not getting any offers or even any serious consideration from the Rams, Bucs, Fins, Raiders, Jaguars, Colts, etc., will suppress that urge in the future.

I want Kubiak and Wade to settle into their roles for many years here, building up their respective sides of the ball. This could be a Patriots-type dynasty team if those two guys disregard the bull**** and just focus on their jobs.

McNair and Smith should be creating a team culture/environment whereby Kubiak is head coach of the offense and Wade head coach of the defense. This lets both guys get the glory for what they do best, this means "I can't succeed without you, and you can't succeed without me." This is called being a T-E-A-M.
Old 01-22-2012   #36
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

The one wild card here is Wade's seemingly endless obsession with being a HC again. I am hoping that him not getting any offers or even any serious consideration from the Rams, Bucs, Fins, Raiders, Jaguars, Colts, etc., will suppress that urge in the future.
Is this even realistic?

Have you ever stopped & thought to yourself, "I'm not good enough to succeed at the next level"?

Especially knowing you have a better record than many of the guys highly sought after for HC openings?

Another trait of a successful HC, is being able to develop people. If I'm Kubiak, I'm going to help Wade find out why the perception is that he can not be a good HC & try to help him overcome that perception & get a job as a HC, whether that is as my replacement in Houston, or my competitor in Jacksonville.

I understand that Kubiak trying to help a coordinator become successful as a HC just flies in the face of logic, but it is what it is. He is in a position where he should be helping his staff develop & advance.

If Wade wants to be a HC, I'm going to help him get there. If he wants to be the greatest DC of all-time, I'm going to help him get there.
Old 01-22-2012   #37
playa465
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 34069 playa465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Another trait of a successful HC, is being able to develop people. If I'm Kubiak, I'm going to help Wade find out why the perception is that he can not be a good HC & try to help him overcome that perception & get a job as a HC, whether that is as my replacement in Houston, or my competitor in Jacksonville.
The problem with this is Kubiak is NOT a successful HC yet. I don't think Kubiak gives a rat's azz about Wade's development. Hell Wade probably has a better chance of helping Kubiak to develop into a better HC. With that being said, I truly believe the best scenario is for them to co-exist for years. I don't think there is any gripe between the two, and I just see it a win-win situation for both and the Texans. I want Wade to the Texans as Dick LeBeau is to the Steelers.
playa465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #38
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is this even realistic?

Have you ever stopped & thought to yourself, "I'm not good enough to succeed at the next level"?
I've said it before and I'll say it again - by the time you are Wade's age, you should be as aware of your limitations as you are of those things you do well. As good as Wade is as a DC, he really should be proud of who he is and work even harder on being a Defensive Head Coach.

I agree that an HC should build success with his coaches, but right now Kubiak has his hands full building his own success.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #39
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Was JJ Watt, JJo, and Cushing on those teams?
Old 01-22-2012   #40
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by playa465 View Post
...I truly believe the best scenario is for them to co-exist for years. I don't think there is any gripe between the two, and I just see it a win-win situation for both and the Texans. I want Wade to the Texans as Dick LeBeau is to the Steelers.
it's a win for everyone except Phillips who wants to be a head coach.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read