Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Kubiak
I hope he is the coach here for the next 10 years 28 20.29%
Kubiak should be fired and Wade promoted to head coach 5 3.62%
If Kubiak has a bad year next season, he should be gone 27 19.57%
If he has a bad year next year, he should be given one more year 7 5.07%
I'm on the fence...Depends on how exactly things shake out 42 30.43%
Kubiak nor Wade are good head coaches. Hopefully Wary can get it done. 29 21.01%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2012   #121
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: How do you feel about Kubiak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

The rest of it I will not engage, simply because I have no desire to hash or hammer or whatever it is that redundant discussions do in the end.
Does the gerbil with the bunpan mean you think he's a dumbass?
Old 01-24-2012   #122
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Does the gerbil with the bunpan mean you think he's a dumbass?

ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012   #123
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Oh, so Bob McNair is going to stake all of 2011 on whether Gary approves of Wade as d-coord or not?

Which is more likely: Bob said, "Gary, I'm bringing in Wade. Hope that sits OK with you." Gary, who is on that proverbial hot seat for having chosen the two previous d-coords, and who also told McNair "Shucks, I can work with David Carr and we'll see what we get out of him..." says the same damn thing he did when he interviewed for the job the first time. "Yes sir, I think that's a good idea."

Or....Gary has an all-day or half-day or one-hour meeting with McNair where McNair listens intently to what Gary Kubiak thinks about Wade Phillips.

Come on, man! Proof? Proof is in the historicity of how this team has functioned and how Kubiak has the right answers at the right times for McNair.

I tell you what, just find me your source and the text or audio or video of where it shows Kubiak dialed up Wade and mentioned him to McNair and was Wade's biggest fan around January'ish of 2011.

Everything points toward Bob and Bum (and Wade on the side) angling for the job and Kubiak rubber-stamping it like he should have.
This post pretty much proves you don't have any actual evidence of what you say and that you are just speculating. Which is fine as long as you don't try to present it as fact, which is what the overall tone sounds like.

I find it hard to believe that somebody that has multiple thousands of posts on this messageboard actually knows what goes on with the Texans staff behind closed doors.
Old 01-25-2012   #124
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Anything more from me on this would just be back-and-forth rhetoric between me and two mods.
Seriously? - play the last bastion defense of claiming martyrdom. Wow. As if the fact you were having a discussion with among others moderators played ANY role in the discussion.
Old 01-25-2012   #125
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey everyone. Congrats on the season. Out of pocket here in Chicago with alot going on but dropped in today and saw this and wanted to respond. I'm still not a Gary fan and on the fence with the guy. Honestly, it makes me wonder how far the Texans would be ahead of their current pace if a real D coordinator was hired to start years ago instead of Friends of Gary. You can't take away this season but overall I look at him as an offensive coordinator Wade where he is a better Coordinator than HC. I agreed with many before the season that this was going to be a good one for Gary but that might just buy him some more mediocrity. What I mean by that is you end up with a Marvin Lewis who people respect and like but overall they sprinkle mediocre to bad seasons with 11-5 so they get more votes by the boss but then its right back to .500. That is how I see it playing out. I hope I'm wrong because it was a fun run to watch up here. But I just don't see him being a guy that gets it done overall. Good guy, great football mind, jut not a guy who brings it home year in and year out. Hope everyone is well in H-Town
Old 01-26-2012   #126
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

My opinion of Kubiak hasn't changed. Looking at his body of work, this year is an anomaly. I think the easy schedule had as much to do with the 10-6 record as anything else did. During the rest of his tenure, the team usually stayed about the same or incrementally improved every season. One year they performed significantly worse.

I think he was fortunate not to be fired after each of the three previous seasons.

If he does well next year, my opinion will probably change and I might think he has finally become a competent head coach. However, that won't change my opinion that his previous poor coaching has held the Texans back. This season should not have been the Texans first season in the play-offs. Kubiak looked like a rookie head coach for too many seasons.
Old 01-26-2012   #127
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 38175 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Y'all know that's my guy.

Someone tell Bob McNair to get his "This one's for Gary" speech ready.
Old 01-27-2012   #128
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4924 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Hell i dunno what to think right now...

Before the season i was thinking, "probably shouldn't have brought this guy back.." i mean just look at the other stories around the league entering this season... the Jets were coming off of two AFC C'ship game appearances with a coach who had only been there two years... KC went from bad to the playoffs with a first year, first time HC... Then over in Tampa they went from bad to 10-6 with a new coach... I meam, AZ made the super bowl with a coach who hadn't been there long... I leave out Tomlin in The Burg, that job was turn-key...

So my thinking was: Why in such a short period of time had these new HCs turned their teams into really good teams so quick, yet our guy going on forever hadn't made it to the playoffs, and was coming off a 6-10 season? It wasn't that i thought he could never bee a good coach but damn, couldn't we have done better than 9-7 at least once? Hell, at least 9-7 twice? I, along with everyone else was running out of patience...

Fast-forward to now... The Jets aren't going anywhere with that lockerroom, they think offense is offensive and didn't make the playoffs... The Chiefs axed the HC that took 'em to the playoff mid-season because the team sucked, the Bucs went from 10-Six to sucky quick and axed their HC as well, and AZ was terrible... All of those teams i was so envious of are in bad spots just one year later, while i can look at the Texans and honestly say things should be real good for a while, not just a year or even two...

Maybe there IS something to that whole patience thing, and not going for the quick, short-lived success... The jury is still out in SF...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012   #129
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 25589 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
Hell i dunno what to think right now...

Before the season i was thinking, "probably shouldn't have brought this guy back.." i mean just look at the other stories around the league entering this season... the Jets were coming off of two AFC C'ship game appearances with a coach who had only been there two years... KC went from bad to the playoffs with a first year, first time HC... Then over in Tampa they went from bad to 10-6 with a new coach... I meam, AZ made the super bowl with a coach who hadn't been there long... I leave out Tomlin in The Burg, that job was turn-key...

So my thinking was: Why in such a short period of time had these new HCs turned their teams into really good teams so quick, yet our guy going on forever hadn't made it to the playoffs, and was coming off a 6-10 season? It wasn't that i thought he could never bee a good coach but damn, couldn't we have done better than 9-7 at least once? Hell, at least 9-7 twice? I, along with everyone else was running out of patience...

Fast-forward to now... The Jets aren't going anywhere with that lockerroom, they think offense is offensive and didn't make the playoffs... The Chiefs axed the HC that took 'em to the playoff mid-season because the team sucked, the Bucs went from 10-Six to sucky quick and axed their HC as well, and AZ was terrible... All of those teams i was so envious of are in bad spots just one year later, while i can look at the Texans and honestly say things should be real good for a while, not just a year or even two...

Maybe there IS something to that whole patience thing, and not going for the quick, short-lived success... The jury is still out in SF...
All great points you make which reflect my views as well. Just a couple of things that worry me, you highlight the number of 'bad' teams that have one good season and then fall back down into mediocrity right away again.

And also, the thing with the patience, we all have to hope that the really slow turnaround will pay dividends now that we're getting to the point where we have to start signing our 'build through the draft' mentality to vet contracts.

Either, as we all hope, Rick Smith and Co. have it all planned out so that we can sign them all to the contracts the market will dictate, or, in the next year or two, the core of this team is going to be ripped out and we'll forever be acquiring young talent and not being able to afford their peak years.

This board seems pretty confident that our club is set up to succeed for years, and so am I, I'm just slightly mindful of the possible pitfalls that could lead to our downfall.

I feel a bit silly for thinking 'Fire Kubiak' a year ago right now, I'm not going to feel silly if my dreams are shattered in a year or two from now, but I am well and truly on board for the time being.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012   #130
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Patience? Really? That's never gonna happen.

There's something else that's never gonna happen. By now, people already have their minds made up about Kubiak. No amount of winning is going to change anything.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012   #131
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 25589 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

There's something else that's never gonna happen. By now, people already have their minds made up about Kubiak. No amount of winning is going to change anything.
Err, so I guess the last 6 years just flew by did they?

6 years of patience Marcus, we've seen the first harvest from that now, I think for very valid reasons (precedent for one, lots of other teams having one good season and then falling back into the melee, and also worries about our cap situation) people are still a little wary of whether this is going to be the start of something special

But to say patience is never going to happen after waiting for 6 years is a very odd statement, we've shown plenty of patience, and now is the time for that to pay off.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012   #132
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
Err, so I guess the last 6 years just flew by did they?

6 years of patience Marcus, we've seen the first harvest from that now, I think for very valid reasons (precedent for one, lots of other teams having one good season and then falling back into the melee, and also worries about our cap situation) people are still a little wary of whether this is going to be the start of something special

But to say patience is never going to happen after waiting for 6 years is a very odd statement, we've shown plenty of patience, and now is the time for that to pay off.
I was referring to the statement "have patience, and not going for the quick short-lived success". There are many who favor firing a coach every single year until one eventually gets lucky, and the team has a winning season. Nothing of their doing of course, but that hardly matters. Most fans simply want the HC replaced after a bad season, in order to get that mental reset going into the offseason.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012   #133
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Which is why I started this thread, to have this discussion.

Are we looking at fools gold? Or is Gary Kubiak a mad genius who had been in the basement piecing together a foundation that will stand the test of time?
Old 01-27-2012   #134
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I guess I'm different, always the anti-pop, going against the grain until the day I drop.

I wanted Kubiak gone last season. I do not want him gone after the 2011 season. Winning changed everything.

Short of a drastic plunge - i.e. 2-14 - I do not think I will want him gone after the 2012 season.
Old 01-27-2012   #135
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I guess I'm different, always the anti-pop, going against the grain until the day I drop.

I wanted Kubiak gone last season. I do not want him gone after the 2011 season. Winning changed everything.

Short of a drastic plunge - i.e. 2-14 - I do not think I will want him gone after the 2012 season.
& I don't understand that.... 2010 is only one year removed from our first winning season. No, we didn't make the play-offs, but that had as much to do with chance than anything else. The 9-7 Jets (we were as good as the Jets that year) went to the AFC Championship game.

2010, I swear we were the most exciting team to watch that year. Didn't win a lot (6-10) But man we lost in some of the most head-scratching, improbable ways.

Now we're winning in 2011.

If we're 9-7.... 8-8, 7-9 you won't want him gone?

really?
Old 01-27-2012   #136
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
& I don't understand that.... 2010 is only one year removed from our first winning season. No, we didn't make the play-offs, but that had as much to do with chance than anything else. The 9-7 Jets (we were as good as the Jets that year) went to the AFC Championship game.

2010, I swear we were the most exciting team to watch that year. Didn't win a lot (6-10) But man we lost in some of the most head-scratching, improbable ways.

Now we're winning in 2011.

If we're 9-7.... 8-8, 7-9 you won't want him gone?

really?
2009 - First winning season and all that was meaningless when you are sitting at home watching other teams in the playoffs. Just my perspective.

2010 was just another year in a long period of perpetual mediocrity. I did not see anything that told me the team was truly improving, especially when I consider it the head coach's responsibility on the final outcome of both sides of the ball. And starting 4-2 and ending 2-8 is pathetic. Why would I have faith in that kind of trend? 5-7 four years in a row? Can you understand how 5 years of mediocrity might just getting tiring to root for as a fan?

As far as 2012, my own perspective is that 2011 bought Kubiak a lot of goodwill. That's just me, though, and I know a lot of folks will disagree (and that's alright). I think Kubiak would have to lose this team's faith in him for them to not be a playoff team next season. 2011 broke a lot of bad habits and established the foundation for something that should carry over for years.

The NFL is a results based business. Waiting a decade to finally get to the playoff had even the most homer of fans calling for Kubiak's head. There were some folks that surprised me last year because they were just tired and worn out of mediocre results. I never blame anyone for how they feel. It's their right, regardless if I agree or disagree with them.
Old 01-27-2012   #137
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

If Kubiak loses the Pro-Bowl for the AFC, I say fire his ass!!
Old 01-27-2012   #138
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4924 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Are we looking at fools gold? Or is Gary Kubiak a mad genius who had been in the basement piecing together a foundation that will stand the test of time?
We'll have to wait and see, eh? I tell you this much: i like the Texans' chances of winning the superbowl next year more than that of any of the other teams mentioned...

But even with success next year and going on into the future i wouldn't grant mad genius status... Gary+Wade+Rick may just be a darn good combo that works... And having things work is the bottom line no matter if it's one guy or a combo...

McNair the mad genius?

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012   #139
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I think if kubiak puts together another winning season and continues to show growth as a coach folks will let him in. But this is his first play off run since he's been here and often times the team has looked stupid under his watch. Wade brought a tremendous amount to the team, so I can understanbd folks still being skeptical of kubiak the Head Coach.
Quote:

Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012   #140
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 133852 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think that several posts in this thread debunk that statement.

Quote:
There are many who favor firing a coach every single year until one eventually gets lucky, and the team has a winning season. Nothing of their doing of course, but that hardly matters. Most fans simply want the HC replaced after a bad season, in order to get that mental reset going into the offseason.
This is such an exaggeration and you know it. I've never read a post from anyone in here that has suggested to fire a coach any time a bad season exists. Nice hyperbole, but not the truth.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read