Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Kubiak
I hope he is the coach here for the next 10 years 28 20.29%
Kubiak should be fired and Wade promoted to head coach 5 3.62%
If Kubiak has a bad year next season, he should be gone 27 19.57%
If he has a bad year next year, he should be given one more year 7 5.07%
I'm on the fence...Depends on how exactly things shake out 42 30.43%
Kubiak nor Wade are good head coaches. Hopefully Wary can get it done. 29 21.01%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2012   #41
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How do you feel about Kubiak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbs1507 View Post
Bill Belichick was 41-55 in his first 6 years. I guess that guy from the radio didn't think much of him either.
And then he went on to win 3 SBs....see where the comparison doesn't compute.

This isn't a trash Gary Kubiak post, but simply a "don't compare him to belichick" post, because it's kinda silly at this point in time.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012   #42
clutch
Rookie

Rep Power: 960 clutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respected

If anyone thinks kubiak is going anywhere is delusional..with the team we have now..he will be the coach for years to come..unless we are horrible next year..then by all means NEXT MAN UP!!
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012   #43
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
If anyone thinks Kubiak is going anywhere is delusional..with the team we have now..he will be the coach for years to come..unless we are horrible next year..then by all means NEXT MAN UP!!
Nothing will get you fired faster than high expectations.. The team we have now has nothing to do with Kubiak being here long term. How Kubiak is able to handle the talent on this team and meet those expectations will decide how much longer he coaches here. For our sake I hope he's the coach for a long time, because like another poster said...that means we're having a lot of success.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012   #44
cbs1507
Veteran

Rep Power: 8662 cbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
And then he went on to win 3 SBs....see where the comparison doesn't compute.

This isn't a trash Gary Kubiak post, but simply a "don't compare him to belichick" post, because it's kinda silly at this point in time.
Yeah but those 3 rings have the benefit of hindsight...see where your observation doesn't compute. Do you think people gave "the hoody" all the praise he gets now after his 6th season? I am not comparing the 2. I am just pointing out that even HOF coaches don't just come into the league and start winning. Belichick struggled early on and learned from his mistakes. I think we can clearly see that Kubiak has learned from mistakes from past seasons, but some people can't get over the past. I think Kubiak has this franchise going in the right direction.

Last edited by cbs1507; 01-21-2012 at 02:27 AM.
cbs1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012   #45
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Yeah but those 3 rings have the benefit of hindsight...see where your observation doesn't compute. Do you think people gave "the hoody" all the praise he gets now after his 6th season? I am not comparing the 2. I am just pointing out that even HOF coaches don't just come into the league and start winning. Belichick struggle early on and learned from his mistakes. I think we can clearly see that Kubiak has learned from mistakes he has made. I think he has this franchise going in the right direction.
Your comparison makes perfect sense. Only a Kubiak hater would not be able to see the parallel.
Old 01-21-2012   #46
SuperSerial
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 SuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Parcells had a saying: "you are what your record says you are", which means Kubiak is a winner. End of story.
Kubiak has a losing record as a head coach. Wipe the Kool Aid off your face.

End of story.
SuperSerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012   #47
SuperSerial
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 SuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Parcells had a saying: "you are what your record says you are", which means Kubiak is a winner. End of story.

End of story.
SuperSerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-21-2012   #48
cbs1507
Veteran

Rep Power: 8662 cbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSerial View Post
Kubiak is 47-49 after 6 seasons. Do you think he will have a losing record after next year?

Bill Bellichick was 41-55 after 6 seasons. Heck he won the SB the next season with a 11-5 record (which would have made his record 52-60). Did that make him a loser?
Old 01-21-2012   #49
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I voted for 10 years. I like stability.

Also if he is here for ten years it means we are being successful.
Kubiak was here for 5 years, and the team was not successful. If he's here another 10 years, it may mean that he's really McNair's illegitimate son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
What I don't want to see is a Jeff Fisher record. 16 years as HC of the Titans and only 6 winning seasons / playoff appearances.
Matching Fisher's record would mean Kubiak would take the Texans to the playoffs 5 of the next 10 seasons. I'd want more, but that is probably an above average ratio. And if one of those 5 years included a Super Bowl Championship, I would call it a very satisfactory 10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyMost View Post
I feel the same about him as I always did. He's an OC, Wade is a DC. Together they make a good tandem.
Gary has always been the head coach of the Texans offense. Now, he has a head coach of the Texans defense. It's working.

Quote:
Bill Belichick was 41-55 in his first 6 years. I guess that guy from the radio didn't think much of him either.
Belichick became a much better coach when he got Tom Brady. Just like Kubiak became a better head coach when he got Wade Phillips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
I think while there's a ton of culpability for it on Kubiak's part, he's been the victim of some extraordinarily bad defensive coordinating prior to this year.
Kubiak has not been the victim. He personally selected those coaches. As Sean Payton personally selected Williams and now Spags. The difference is that Kubiak could only recruit his buddies from Denver. Payton canvassed the NFL coaching ranks and brought in the very best he could find. That's why Payton > Kubiak.

Kubiak will be here in Houston for the foreseeable future. He's about to get an extension. Wade will also be here. At least until the Texans win a Super Bowl, and the defense carries him off the field, ala Buddy Ryan and the '85 Bears. Right now, I'm very content with the coaching situation. I reserve the right to change my mind after an 8-8 season.
Old 01-21-2012   #50
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Kubiak is 47-49 after 6 seasons. Do you think he will have a losing record after next year?
Kubiak wouldn't be in good graces right now if it weren't for Wade Phillips. You take Phillips out of the equation for last season, and Kubiak would have had his normal crappy season. Wade saved Kubiak's ass, and that's all there is to it.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012   #51
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
The problem with Mr. Jason Cole of Yahoo Sport's thought process of his AFC Coach of the Year vote is this...

He was supposed to be voting for Coach the Year.

Not coach of the decade. Name another team that had to rely on 4 different starting QBs in the same season and still won their division and won a playoff game..

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is what I was looking for.
Old 01-21-2012   #52
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
The problem with Mr. Jason Cole of Yahoo Sport's thought process of his AFC Coach of the Year vote is this...

He was supposed to be voting for Coach the Year.

Not coach of the decade. Name another team that had to rely on 4 different starting QBs in the same season and still won their division and won a playoff game.

The problem with the intellectually lazy is that they let their prejudices and emotions guide their thoughts and not logic. Just another hack with a keyboard.
Well...

That was part of his point...

Kubiak had not done anything miraculous the past few seasons he was here...He did give him credit for keeping the offense functional and keeping the team playing hard despite injuries, but he was basically saying that he didn't think he was a well rounded head coach. He said he was a brilliant offensive mind, but he would need to see more seasons like this one (perhaps one without Wade) to be convinced that Kubiak had actually morphed into a good head coach and deserved coach of the year.

I didn't agree with some of what he said, but I thought he made some good points.

I'll just be honest...The more I have thought about it, the more scared I am of this team without Wade (or a D cord of his caliber)...Just seems like the team played differently when Wade was gone and he was the main attraction again.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012   #53
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
My opinion, Kubiak doesn't get a contract extension unless he can put together back to back winning seasons......

Kubiak has a losing record as a HC. The Texans have a winning record for 2011.
I'm surprised at your vote TK...

I took you for an ardent Kubiak supporter.

I'm actually kind of surprised by the votes in general. I thought more people would have voted that he deserved a one year grace period based on this year.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012   #54
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34613 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

I'm actually kind of surprised by the votes in general. I thought more people would have voted that he deserved a one year grace period based on this year.
Did you see the two games without Wade?
Old 01-21-2012   #55
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Kubiak was here for 5 years, and the team was not successful. If he's here another 10 years, it may mean that he's really McNair's illegitimate son.
In the ultimate terms of Ws & Ls, you're correct. However, when looking at the big picture, from a franchise's perspective, mildly successful?

Maybe?

We've got a great foundation with a young core.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Matching Fisher's record would mean Kubiak would take the Texans to the playoffs 5 of the next 10 seasons. I'd want more, but that is probably an above average ratio. And if one of those 5 years included a Super Bowl Championship, I would call it a very satisfactory 10 years.
Nothing's guaranteed. However, this pretty much describes our future outlook at this time.
Old 01-21-2012   #56
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:

I'll just be honest...The more I have thought about it, the more scared I am of this team without Wade (or a D cord of his caliber)...Just seems like the team played differently when Wade was gone and he was the main attraction again.
All those guys love Kubiak.

But they played their asses off for Wade's approval..... they played for Wade. Take Wade away & they have to find another reason to put it all on the line. Which is why I think it was bull**** to think Wade interviewing with TampaBay was not a distraction.

The way Wade handled the situation, as if he was unaware of the distraction it would cause... leads me to understand why he shouldn't be a head coach. I doubt Wade could have kept this team together with what they've been through the 5 seasons prior.

But Kubiak did.
Old 01-21-2012   #57
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:

Most people do. My arguments are usually about providing balance to the conversation. The anti-Kubiak rhetoric has been so out of whack for so long, I'm usually trying to provide Kubiak-pro arguments.

The man has his weaknesses, but so do all head-coaches. Bellichick, Billick, Parcells, JJohnson, Crennel, Fox, Rex, etc... ain't none of them perfect.

Are his weaknesses so big that they'll keep us from reaching the Super Bowl? Are they so big they'll hold this team back from multiple play-off appearances? Are they so big they'll prevent this team from multiple back-to-back winning seasons?

We'll see.
Old 01-21-2012   #58
cbs1507
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Kubiak wouldn't be in good graces right now if it weren't for Wade Phillips. You take Phillips out of the equation for last season, and Kubiak would have had his normal crappy season. Wade saved Kubiak's ass, and that's all there is to it.
First of all we didn't need Wade. We NEEDED a good defensive coordinator. Wade Phillips was the best one available. I am tired of fans believing it was Wade that did everything. He fixed the defense. That's it. When we had all those mediocre seasons we had mediocre to poor defense. We have been a top 10 offense in every season since 2007. Top 5 since 2008. Wade had nothing to do with offense. That was never our problem.

Every coach needs a great supporting cast.

Belichick hasn't won a SB since Charlie Weis left. He hasn't won a playoff game prior to this season (if you want to count Denver because they will probably lose to the Ravens) since Josh McDaniels left.

Peyton was 7-9 and 8-8 in the 2 seasons prior to his hiring of Gregg Williams. He won the SB the next year.

Pittsburgh Steelers have Dick Lebeau.

You can make the argument that none of these coaches would have done anything with the supporting cast that they made the accomplishments with.

Last edited by cbs1507; 01-22-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-21-2012   #59
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
All those guys love Kubiak.

But they played their asses off for Wade's approval..... they played for Wade. Take Wade away & they have to find another reason to put it all on the line. Which is why I think it was bull**** to think Wade interviewing with TampaBay was not a distraction.

The way Wade handled the situation, as if he was unaware of the distraction it would cause... leads me to understand why he shouldn't be a head coach. I doubt Wade could have kept this team together with what they've been through the 5 seasons prior.

But Kubiak did.
For once I totally agree with you. Great post!
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012   #60
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 5047 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak is the best offensive coordinator that we have ever had and I hope we keep it that way.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read