Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Kubiak
I hope he is the coach here for the next 10 years 28 20.29%
Kubiak should be fired and Wade promoted to head coach 5 3.62%
If Kubiak has a bad year next season, he should be gone 27 19.57%
If he has a bad year next year, he should be given one more year 7 5.07%
I'm on the fence...Depends on how exactly things shake out 42 30.43%
Kubiak nor Wade are good head coaches. Hopefully Wary can get it done. 29 21.01%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2012   #1
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default How do you feel about Kubiak?

I was listening to the radio this morning and the guys were talking with some sports writer or radio host from another city...don't remember who he was...

Anyways, they asked him what his perception of Wade was and what he thought about his chances at being a head coach.

The guy called him average. Said he was a mediocre head coach and basically was maxed out. He said he is not a leader of men and is not suited to being a "bad guy" which according to him you sometimes have to be when you are the boss. But he called him maybe a top 10 d-coordinator of all time. Top 5 in today's game.

(I don't agree with a lot of what he said)

The conversation led to what his thoughts on Kubiak were. He said he did not vote Kubiak for AFC coach of the year because he had only had a pretty good season once out of 6 years. He sounded like he didn't think all that much of Kubiak. He stated that one pretty good year does not erase all the previous years of failure he has experienced. He then rounded it out by saying that he doesn't think that Gary or Wade are really all that great of head coaches. He called both of them brilliant minds that specialize in offense and defense respectively, but he said as head coaches they were not impressive.

So My question is, how much good will has Gary bought with you this season?

Is he completely out of the dog house? (if he was ever in yours)

Is he still on your hot seat?

If he has a bad year next year, then what?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012   #2
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How do you feel about Kubiak?

Parcells had a saying: "you are what your record says you are", which means Kubiak is a winner. End of story.
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012   #3
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with most of what that guys says. However, one thing that has to be said about Kubiak is that he always has his players playing hard for him. Even when we had bad seasons his players never quit on him. Kubiak should get some huge credit for that even if he does have some short-comings when it comes to his game-day decisions (although he was much better this year at that).
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012   #4
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34588 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Parcells had a saying: "you are what your record says you are", which means Kubiak is a winner. End of story.
How does 47-49= winner?
Old 01-20-2012   #5
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 37603 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Jason Cole from Yahoo Sports
Old 01-20-2012   #6
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak moved up in my mind. Like TexCanada mentioned, this team has no history of locker-room defection under Kubiak. Even former players speak highly of him, and I think this is something that should be taken into account.

Then, keeping this team playing hard through the injuries this season is something that should garner much respect. Teams could just fall apart when losing key playmakers on both sides of the ball, but this team not only continued to play hard, but seemed to elevate their game many times.

I'm still not completely sold that he's a 'great' head coach, but, that being said, he's definitely improving over time. I think I would prefer him over many other coaching candidates out there, so that's sort of a backhanded compliment.

Going full homer, I'd like to see him as HC for the next decade if it meant that he's stayed here due to tremendous success and not undying loyalty by the owner.

What I don't want to see is a Jeff Fisher record. 16 years as HC of the Titans and only 6 winning seasons / playoff appearances.
Old 01-20-2012   #7
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
Jason Cole from Yahoo Sports
Ahhhh....

Thanks....

I will remember his name now because he definitely struck a chord with me because he really just spoke his mind...No sugar coating...
Sponsored links
Old 01-20-2012   #8
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 237890 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Kubiak moved up in my mind. Like TexCanada mentioned, this team has no history of locker-room defection under Kubiak. Even former players speak highly of him, and I think this is something that should be taken into account.

Then, keeping this team playing hard through the injuries this season is something that should garner much respect. Teams could just fall apart when losing key playmakers on both sides of the ball, but this team not only continued to play hard, but seemed to elevate their game many times.

I'm still not completely sold that he's a 'great' head coach, but, that being said, he's definitely improving over time. I think I would prefer him over many other coaching candidates out there, so that's sort of a backhanded compliment.

Going full homer, I'd like to see him as HC for the next decade if it meant that he's stayed here due to tremendous success and not undying loyalty by the owner.

What I don't want to see is a Jeff Fisher record. 16 years as HC of the Titans and only 6 winning seasons / playoff appearances.
My thoughts exactly.

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012   #9
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted for 10 years. I like stability.

Also if he is here for ten years it means we are being successful.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012   #10
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCanada View Post
I agree with most of what that guys says. However, one thing that has to be said about Kubiak is that he always has his players playing hard for him. Even when we had bad seasons his players never quit on him. Kubiak should get some huge credit for that even if he does have some short-comings when it comes to his game-day decisions (although he was much better this year at that).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

What I want to know is, if Wade leaves for a HC job or if Wade retires or gets sick again, can Kubiak get 'er done....

The couple games Wade was out we did not look like the same club. We looked like the old Texans. Like the Gary Kubiak imprinted version of the Texans.

This team just had a different aura when Wade was with the team...

I don't know what to make of it, because Wade was not coaching the offense. That was Kubiak's baby. No Schaub, Andre hurt for a long time...Starting guard gets hurt...

He still kept the offense competitive/productive.

I'm in wait and see mode. The guy Jason Cole brought up a lot of good points and he got me thinking about Kubiak and I cannot say right now that this one year has given Kubiak a bunch of good grace for me. I just can't say that right now.

Heck of a year. He does a lot of things well. But....I dunno...I'm a little wary of Gary...
Old 01-20-2012   #11
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Speaking of Parcells, I've been tough on Kubiak over the years because I used to think the only guys that could win Super Bowls are guys like Parcells. I thought that style was really the only way to lead. I thought there was no way that a HC who calls the offense could win a Super Bowl.

...then I heard that Sean Payton has called the offense the whole time he's been the HC at New Orleans. And I'm sure he isn't the only one. The thing that he needed to get over the hump was to bring in a really good defensive mind.

After McNair brought Wade in, I decided to shut up and put away the pink soap. Now I think Kubiak is a damn good coach as long as they keep a strong DC around.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012   #12
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman40 View Post
How does 47-49= winner?
You don't understand. See whether its finance or football you always go with the trend line and Kubiak has had winning seasons in 2 of the last 3 years capped off by the teams first ever postseason win this year. He's a winner.
Got it ?
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012   #13
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36121 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

There are at least three answers I like in this poll. I would love Kubiak to be here for the next ten years. That would mean he has had tremendous success. So yes, I'm fine with him being here for the next ten years if it means Houston has a ton of playoff victories. I would easily say I'm on the fence and will wait and see what happens next year, but I think a bad year would definitely warrant a Kubiak firing. If Houston has a bad year and finishes with five or six wins I would be pretty upset and want him fired. If that happens one playoff appearance in seven years would not satisfy me enough to want him here after next year.

So I voted bad year= want him gone.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012   #14
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34588 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You don't understand. See whether its finance or football you always go with the trend line and Kubiak has had winning seasons in 2 of the last 3 years capped off by the teams first ever postseason win this year. He's a winner.
Got it ?
When he goes over 500 ,then he will be a winner.I am not sold on Kubiak if Wade leaves.

Old 01-20-2012   #15
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 101624 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
When he goes over 500 ,then he will be a winner.I am not sold on Kubiak if Wade leaves.

Signed,

Wayne Fontes' 67-71 record.
Old 01-20-2012   #16
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
What I want to know is, if Wade leaves for a HC job or if Wade retires or gets sick again, can Kubiak get 'er done....

The couple games Wade was out we did not look like the same club. We looked like the old Texans. Like the Gary Kubiak imprinted version of the Texans.

This team just had a different aura when Wade was with the team...

I don't know what to make of it, because Wade was not coaching the offense. That was Kubiak's baby. No Schaub, Andre hurt for a long time...Starting guard gets hurt...

He still kept the offense competitive/productive.

I'm in wait and see mode. The guy Jason Cole brought up a lot of good points and he got me thinking about Kubiak and I cannot say right now that this one year has given Kubiak a bunch of good grace for me. I just can't say that right now.

Heck of a year. He does a lot of things well. But....I dunno...I'm a little wary of Gary...
Really good questions and some of the same stuff that I've rolled around in my mind.

The two games in Wade's absence are hard for me to big picture, because the team was coming off of the franchise's first AFCS championship and it's pretty normal for teams to have a so-called "winning hangover".

It's just strange coincidence, I guess.

But, you are right, those two games looked like the 2006-2010 Texans, not the 2011 Texans that had just went on a 7 game win streak to post a 10 win record.

I'll be honest with you, there are some questionable Kubiak calls in my mind that I have just wondered about but have not said much because of the thrill of success. I go back to the play calling that got Schaub hurt. Why send your franchise QB up the gut on your own 1 yard line? Don't we have RBs and a FB on the roster for that dirty work? It's not like it was for a TD or even a first down, and I never understood that call from the moment it happened way back when. The fact that it turned out to be the same play that took our starting QB out just adds a little salt to the wound.

I'm not slamming Kubiak here and I certainly feel that he should be the HC in 2012 with 100% conviction. I hate owners that fire head coaches after the playoffs, ever since Bud pulled that bush league move with Bum in 1980.

That being said, a head coach is not above scrutiny because of success.

Weird, but I am still a little wary of Gary, but I am not wary about "Wary"!
Old 01-20-2012   #17
DonnyMost
lol football :D

Rep Power: 2773 DonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respected

I feel the same about him as I always did. He's an OC, Wade is a DC. Together they make a good tandem. Gary's game management has improved over the years, but it's still pretty obvious he's not a complete coach. That being said, if Rick Smith & Bob McNair can keep plugging in good DC's to go alongside Gary, I have no problem with him.
Old 01-20-2012   #18
cbs1507
Veteran

Rep Power: 8662 cbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How does 47-49= winner?
Bill Belichick was 41-55 in his first 6 years. I guess that guy from the radio didn't think much of him either.
cbs1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012   #19
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 24376 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyMost View Post
I feel the same about him as I always did. He's an OC, Wade is a DC. Together they make a good tandem. Gary's game management has improved over the years, but it's still pretty obvious he's not a complete coach. That being said, if Rick Smith & Bob McNair can keep plugging in good DC's to go alongside Gary, I have no problem with him.
Seconded. I have no problem with Wary. However, if we lose "W", "ary", the W's (in the win column) in the future - back to the hot seat / launch pad with the remaining front office.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012   #20
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208045 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I don't like the overall job he's done, and if I had my way, he would have been gone a couple years ago. I posted in another thread basically the same thing this sports writer said, which is one good year does not erase the bad from the past. What it does do is buy him the opportunity to make people overlook those years.

Kubiak is a very good offensive coordinator. He seems to be a guy that the team will fight for, which is a must. In the end though, I keep stumbling on too many moves or decisions that just strike me as dumb, and then play out that way. Even with this season's success, we just heard about how he was running practices before Wade got here where the DL wasn't allowed to bat balls. WTF? I mean, that's just freakin' stupid. So here's this guy, supposed to be this brilliant mind, and he does **** like that? Or he drafts guys and then never plays them. Or he plays the ones that have proven they suck way too long. Then there are the on-field things like challenges, time management (better this year), etc.

He just has way too many "WTF?" moments for me to consider him a good HC. No idea how that fits into the poll, so I didn't vote. As for Wade, I think he's gotten a lot more flack for being a way better HC than Kubiak has been. That doesn't mean Wade is a great HC, but he shouldn't be panned.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read