Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-20-2012   #21
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Reasons the Texans will repeat....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Bro, you just need to add Kareem Jackson to that list!
You, my good friend and my brother-in-law would make a fine pair; both of you still think that Allen is better than Jackson; neither of you like Myers all that much either. See what I have to deal with??? LOL!)

Actually, we really need to add the entire secondary to it.
They were the MOST IMPROVED UNIT on the team.
Not counting the addition of JJo and Manning, the other guys also made good strides; there's no denying it.
I admit that I used to give Myers the business, but over the last two years I've eaten plenty of crow on Myers and have come to appreciate him.

Jackson...... Not so much. As bad as Jason Allen is, he's better.
Old 01-20-2012   #22
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I admit that I used to give Myers the business, but over the last two years I've eaten plenty of crow on Myers and have come to appreciate him.

Jackson...... Not so much. As bad as Jason Allen is, he's better.
I'm right there with ya. I've admitted it since

He still gets rag-dolled every now and then but makes up for it with the ability to easily reach the second level.
Old 01-20-2012   #23
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 278016 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
A top five defense, a top five rushing attack, a healthy Matt Schaub. This is one of the most balanced teams in the league, and I don't feel like a homer saying it.
QFT. I agree completely and instead of just repeating what you wrote, I'd rather just give you props for a great point.

I think the 'strength of schedule' approach to seasonal predictions can be overrated. Obviously, it should be a factor in evaluation, but in the end, what really matters is the divisional race. And right now, the AFCS is clearly the Texans to own. Matter-of-fact, I'll go out on a limb right now and say we should expect 5-1, if not 6-0, in our division in 2012.
Old 01-20-2012   #24
sandman
Veteran

Rep Power: 36157 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

For the record, looking at the Strength of Schedule in the draft order, the Texans at .516 ranked 11th out of the 28 teams not still in the playoffs.

Surprisingly, of all the playoff teams that have been knocked out, only Denver at .520 and Detroit at .536 had a higher strength of schedule.

Not saying it was the toughest schedule, but if it almost breaks the top 10, I don't know that I would call it weak. We played five teams that made the playoffs and had a winning record against them.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012   #25
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Not trying to be Debbie Downer or anything, you guys have made some excellent posts.

However, in addition to that stat I heard on the radio, only 1 of 21 teams that went 10-6 or better after finishing 6-10 the previous season matched or bettered the 10 win performance the following year, there is also a bit of an elephant or 300lb gorilla, if you will, sitting in the middle of the room.

Remember the end of the 2004 season, the optimism we shared about this team ?

Remember the end of the 2009 season, the optimism we shared about this team ?

2004 we finish 7-9, 2005 2-14.

2009 we finished 9-7, 2011 6-10.

2011 we finished 10-6, 2012 ??
Old 01-20-2012   #26
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

We'll be good, but projecting anything in the NFL is tenuous at best. According to conventional logic the Packers should still be playing since they went to the SB last year and were almost undefeated this season...but that's why they play the games.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012   #27
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 278016 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Not trying to be Debbie Downer or anything, you guys have made some excellent posts.

However, in addition to that stat I heard on the radio, only 1 of 21 teams that went 10-6 or better after finishing 6-10 the previous season matched or bettered the 10 win performance the following year, there is also a bit of an elephant or 300lb gorilla, if you will, sitting in the middle of the room.

hmmmm...interesting points of trends...

Dang it, TK! You're supposed to be refilling everyone's cup with koolaide, not giving us Alka-Seltzer for the heartburn!
Old 01-20-2012   #28
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36121 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

What is the achilles heel of this team? In 2005 the whole team was awful and in 2010 the defense was awful. What part of the 2012 team looks to be a weakness? Houston has a solid running game (#2 in the league), a solid defense (#2 in the league) and should have a solid passing attack with Schaub back. I see no weaknesses in this team to think they will regress next year.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012   #29
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsorc View Post
I think there are three reasons the Texans will be back in the playoffs next year: Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker, and Andrew Luck. Not sure we will be back at 10-11 wins but the division looks to be a lot weaker than it has been in the past.
Yes, the reason we got in this year. Weak division.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012   #30
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think the big difference is we weren't your usual 6-10 team in 2010. We lost 5 games by 7 points or less. We all know we heavily underachieved. Fred Jackson even picked us to go to the Super Bowl that season. We had the #3 offense in the league, as well as talent on defense (injuries & coaching killed us).

So what happened in 2011 made perfect sense... same offense, new personnel on defense, and a new defensive coach equals a lot more wins! We beat some good teams, and were right there in it in until the end in all of our losses.

The Texans didn't come out of no where and shock the league (like the Chiefs and Bucs of 2010).

The teamd most likely to regress next season are the Broncos and Bengals. Broncos barely won their division (by one game), and they won a lot of games due to fluke plays. Bengals are in a tough division, and they didn't beat any teams with a winning record (don't say the Tits).
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012   #31
Textan
Veteran

Rep Power: 4035 Textan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respected

Minor tweaks in the punt return game......this team has it all.
See no reason why we can't go even further next year.
Textan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012   #32
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 5046 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

These "trends" don't mean a thing at the end of the day, we have the talent to go all the way next season and if we don't make the playoffs it's entirely on us.
Old 01-22-2012   #33
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

First of all, are we really 10-6 team? I think we are at least 11-5 as we did not really try to win the last game to keep our guys healthy for post season.

With healthy #8 and Wade(this is key here), we should be in the playoffs again next year.

GoTexans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #34
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post
First of all, are we really 10-6 team? I think we are at least 11-5 as we did not really try to win the last game to keep our guys healthy for post season.

With healthy #8 and Wade(this is key here), we should be in the playoffs again next year.

GoTexans!!!
Since 1 of 21 teams that went 10-6 or better after going 6-10 the previous season performed as well or better the following season, it would be better if we weren't really a 6-10 team in 2010.

To me, that stat is saying whatever improvement the 10-6 (or better) team appeared to have made, it wasn't real. Like Tampa Bay's weak schedule was the reason for their 10-6. Or, KC's unusually healthy season was the reason for theirs.

We can assume it wasn't better coaching or talent since both were intact for the 6-10 season, the 10-6 season & the following sub-10 win season.
Old 01-22-2012   #35
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Since 1 of 21 teams that went 10-6 or better after going 6-10 the previous season performed as well or better the following season, it would be better if we weren't really a 6-10 team in 2010.

To me, that stat is saying whatever improvement the 10-6 (or better) team appeared to have made, it wasn't real. Like Tampa Bay's weak schedule was the reason for their 10-6. Or, KC's unusually healthy season was the reason for theirs.

We can assume it wasn't better coaching or talent since both were intact for the 6-10 season, the 10-6 season & the following sub-10 win season.
TK, I understand how you feel and concern about our team as fellow Texans' fan. You may be right about TB and KC situation in the past. However, you may be looking into too hard about the past history and perhaps some cases, you are onto something.

However, when you look at our improvement of our D with Wade, most of us expected better things for the Texans in 2011. Yes, we did have a weaker schedule than usual in 2011 but, we need to see how much of our D improved with Wade as well. We signed right FA and hit jack pot on our 1 and 2 rd.(Likely, Wade told FO to draft these guys)

So when you look at our current roster which includes Joseph, Manning, Watt and, Reed. Wouldn't you say we are much much better than our 2010 roster? Not to mentioned better D scheme?

With these players and coaches, I am confident that we will be one of strong playoffs teams candidate. Heck, media likely to put us one of favorite to go SB next year.

Go Texans!!!
Old 01-22-2012   #36
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

because i said so.
Old 01-22-2012   #37
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post

However, when you look at our improvement of our D with Wade, most of us expected better things for the Texans in 2011. Yes, we did have a weaker schedule than usual in 2011 but, we need to see how much of our D improved with Wade as well. We signed right FA and hit jack pot on our 1 and 2 rd.(Likely, Wade told FO to draft these guys)

So when you look at our current roster which includes Joseph, Manning, Watt and, Reed. Wouldn't you say we are much much better than our 2010 roster? Not to mentioned better D scheme?

With these players and coaches, I am confident that we will be one of strong playoffs teams candidate. Heck, media likely to put us one of favorite to go SB next year.

Go Texans!!!
Jacksonville's defense made the same jump as ours.

Is it coincidence that our schedules are nearly identical?

Green Bay had the #2 defense last year....... they don't look so hot now.... mostly the same roster & coaches.
Old 01-22-2012   #38
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Jacksonville's defense made the same jump as ours.

Is it coincidence that our schedules are nearly identical?

Green Bay had the #2 defense last year....... they don't look so hot now.... mostly the same roster & coaches.
TK, all I'm saying is that schedules may look similar and talents may seems to be similar as well. However, they are not the same individual nor same era/year.(our opponents ain't same either) So, it is very difficult to compare with the other teams in the past.

Based on how we performed during 2011 season and post season, I am expecting more good things for Texans next year. Let us be more of a glass half full kinda way. I think, we need #2WR and back up depth in a few spot (OG,ILB and, NT) should be enough to lead us to better result next year.

Now, don't get me wrong about the above contents TK.

You are concern because you care for Texans as fan.

Go Texans!!!
Old 01-23-2012   #39
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Another little tidbit..... The Atlanta Falcons were established in 1966. They didn't have their fist back to back winning season until the 2008-2009 seasons.

Maybe we learned how to win... maybe we've become a winning franchise.....

maybe not.
Old 01-23-2012   #40
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Another little tidbit..... The Atlanta Falcons were established in 1966. They didn't have their fist back to back winning season until the 2008-2009 seasons.

Maybe we learned how to win... maybe we've become a winning franchise.....

maybe not.
Well, to go back to your original statistic, (1 of 21...),

1998 St. Louis Rams 4-12
1999 St. Louis Rams 13-3
2000 St. Louis Rams 10-6

2003 Pittsburgh Steelers 6-10
2004 Pittsburgh Steelers 15-1
2005 Pittsburgh Steelers 11-5

I don't know if this means your statistic is innaccurate, or just kind of meaningless.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read