Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-19-2012   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Reasons the Texans will repeat....

or do better.

So I'm driving home from work today & a caller informs Charlie Pallilo that teams that go from 6-10 or worse to 10-6 or better are 1-21 to do as well or better the following season. Think Kansas City Cheifs & Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

I said, prior to the season, that the Bucs were a paper tiger. Their schedule the previous year was so weak, it wasn't funny.

This year, we had a weak schedule. You know it.... you know we did.

So.

What makes you think we will have a 10 win or better season next year.
Old 01-19-2012   #2
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 45767 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Reasons the Texans will repeat....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
or do better.

So I'm driving home from work today & a caller informs Charlie Pallilo that teams that go from 6-10 or worse to 10-6 or better are 1-21 to do as well or better the following season. Think Kansas City Cheifs & Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

I said, prior to the season, that the Bucs were a paper tiger. Their schedule the previous year was so weak, it wasn't funny.

So.

A top five defense, a top five rushing attack, a healthy Matt Schaub. This is one of the most balanced teams in the league, and I don't feel like a homer saying it.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #3
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

One difference between the 2010 Bucs and our team is that the Bucs did not beat one team with a winning record that year. We beat the Steelers, Bengals, Titans, and Falcons.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #4
cbs1507
Veteran

Rep Power: 8662 cbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
or do better.

So.

Because unlike those teams you've mentioned we have always competed against good teams. We've always had a good offense, but now we have a defense that makes us a well rounded team.
cbs1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #5
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

We are the most balanced team in the NFL, period. If, and this is obviously a very big if, our players stay reasonably healthy, we will have a legitimate shot to have a top 5 offense and defense. Based on the way the top teams performed this year, they were all very lopsided (New England, Green Bay, NO all offense, San Fran, Baltimore all defense).

We will be one of the few teams that can pitch a shut out or come back from a 14 point deficit. We should be able to outscore teams and grind out ugly wins. That's a recipe for a lot of sustained success. (And it seems we're only going to get better from here).

Good enough?
Old 01-19-2012   #6
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that the team will be better next year. We actually beat some quality opponents and we did it with a rookie qb (insert tj yates storyline/bio here).

I also think that our defense is legit with Wade at the helm. Our offense will hopefully e better with a healthy Schaub or a more seasoned Yates. Add another quality receiver...a real off-season for the young guys to go through...

I think we are in good shape although our schedule is not going to be a punk. We will have to bring it for sure.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #7
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39155 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

We almost beat a top defense in the second round of the playoffs with a third string quarterback.

I think we can repeat if they get rid of JJones and add another playmaker on the offense, like the pats do every year. We have the defense to do it, we just need another WR, hopefully that will turn into another playmaker like OD, AJ or Foster.
santo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-19-2012   #8
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 91652 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
or do better.

So.

And with most of those teams (as you say, think Chiefs and Bengals) it was pretty well realized that the teams weren't as good as the results said they were (with apologies to Bill Parcells). I'm from KC, and even before the Charles and Berry injury, most Chiefs fans I know weren't particularly optimistic about 2011. I think due to injuries, most folks (including me) feel the Texans are actually better than the results indicated.

As far as schedule goes, first, who knows how easy or difficult next years schedule will truly end up being. Teams surprise - both positively and negatively - all the time (which is kind of the underlying premise of this thread). When you look at a how it shapes up on paper, the divisional teams are obviously the same, and while I see the Colts being better if Peyton comes back, unless they work lots of other magic on that roster, I don't see them as a playoff team. I don't see the Titans or Jaguars being much different than this year. We're trading the AFC North for the AFC East. Three playoff teams for one. We're trading the NFC South for the NFC East. The Broncos could easily end up being an easier game than if we'd finished second or third in the division, and as to the Ravens - well, there's no denying they look like a tough opponent, but maybe it's just our time to beat them. Two playoff teams for one. This is assuming that all significant FA's are retained - and while Mario may be the exception to that, it's not like he was a linchpin to the 2011 season (although I will say I hope very much they figure out a way to keep him).
Old 01-19-2012   #9
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
And with most of those teams (as you say, think Chiefs and Bengals) it was pretty well realized that the teams weren't as good as the results said they were (with apologies to Bill Parcells). I'm from KC, and even before the Charles and Berry injury, most Chiefs fans I know weren't particularly optimistic about 2011. I think due to injuries, most folks (including me) feel the Texans are actually better than the results indicated.

As far as schedule goes, first, who knows how easy or difficult next years schedule will truly end up being. Teams surprise - both positively and negatively - all the time (which is kind of the underlying premise of this thread). When you look at a how it shapes up on paper, the divisional teams are obviously the same, and while I see the Colts being better if Peyton comes back, unless they work lots of other magic on that roster, I don't see them as a playoff team. I don't see the Titans or Jaguars being much different than this year. We're trading the AFC North for the AFC East. Three playoff teams for one. We're trading the NFC South for the NFC East. Two playoff teams for one. This is assuming that all significant FA's are retained - and while Mario may be the exception to that, it's not like he was a linchpin to the 2011 season (although I will say I hope very much they figure out a way to keep him).
Agree with everything you said, but we're trading the NFC South for the North (Pack, Lions, Bears, Vikes), so 2 playoff teams and probably a third if the Bears didn't do their best Texans impression with injuries.
Old 01-19-2012   #10
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 91652 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run View Post
Agree with everything you said, but we're trading the NFC South for the North (Pack, Lions, Bears, Vikes), so 2 playoff teams and probably a third if the Bears didn't do their best Texans impression with injuries.
Clearly a mistake on my part - thanks for correcting it.
Old 01-19-2012   #11
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 287939 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
A top five defense, a top five rushing attack, a healthy Matt Schaub. This is one of the most balanced teams in the league, and I don't feel like a homer saying it.
I couldn't have said it any better than that.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #12
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

It took us playing in Baltimore without our starting QB to knock us out of the playoffs by 3 points.

It took 3 Ints. by Yates and a fumbled punt to keep them ahead of us.

Their offense could hardly score without said turnovers.

Foster put up 150+ against them, and it could have been more if we hadn't been playing from behind....because of turnovers.

This off-season, we prepare for a possible Superbowl.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #13
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25616 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Even with the tough schedule a healthy Texans team should go at least 11-5 or 12-4 next season. It's very important for Matt Schaub to play in all 16 games and throughout the playoffs if this team has any Super Bowl aspirations.

I'm feeling really good about the defense being just as good if not better. I want Mario Williams to be a big part of the team's success next year. He should be our anchor on defense.

Just curious guys, why are there no Johnathan Joseph forum signatures anywhere to be found? I've browsed all over and no luck. I would certainly wear one if I saw it. He's my favorite player and one of the top shutdown corners in the game. A well deserved Pro Bowl selection.
Bulls on Parade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #14
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Reasons????

In no particular order (and not all inclusive):
Cushing
Joseph
Watt
Ryans
Smith
Barwin
Reed
Johnson
Foster
The O-line
Schaub
Daniels
ETC........

Shall I keep going?
Old 01-19-2012   #15
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Reasons????

In no particular order (and not all inclusive):
Cushing
Joseph
Watt
Ryans
Smith
Barwin
Reed
Johnson
Foster
The O-line
Schaub
Daniels
ETC........

Shall I keep going?
Bro, you just need to add Kareem Jackson to that list!
You, my good friend and my brother-in-law would make a fine pair; both of you still think that Allen is better than Jackson; neither of you like Myers all that much either. See what I have to deal with??? LOL!)

Actually, we really need to add the entire secondary to it.
They were the MOST IMPROVED UNIT on the team.
Not counting the addition of JJo and Manning, the other guys also made good strides; there's no denying it.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

Actually, we really need to add the entire secondary to it.
They were the MOST IMPROVED UNIT on the team.
Not counting the addition of JJo and Manning, the other guys also made good strides; there's no denying it.
I've been begging the Texans for a coverage sack for the last 6 years.

I've been singing Halleluiah for 18 weeks.
Old 01-19-2012   #17
dsorc
Veteran

Rep Power: 7032 dsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respected

I think there are three reasons the Texans will be back in the playoffs next year: Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker, and Andrew Luck. Not sure we will be back at 10-11 wins but the division looks to be a lot weaker than it has been in the past.
dsorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #18
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93773 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

This team is a good mix of youth and veteran presence. That is one of the reasons I think we have a nice window of opportunity. I think we will be better next year because we are in an almost Pittsburgh situation. We have a ton of talent and are drafting mostly to add depth (of course a WR would be a wonderful pick too). As for next year? We have a balanced offense, depth at running back, qb and OL. On defense we have depth all over the place. We also have a great mix of a ball control offense that can also score points in spurts. In this case our 6-10 season was more of a let down from a team on the way up than a team overachieving. I think that is one of the biggest things. This team didn't overachieve last year, they under achieved. This year they overachieved a little but if we were healthy this team should have been a 12-14 win team.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012   #19
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
This team is a good mix of youth and veteran presence. That is one of the reasons I think we have a nice window of opportunity. I think we will be better next year because we are in an almost Pittsburgh situation. We have a ton of talent and are drafting mostly to add depth (of course a WR would be a wonderful pick too). As for next year? We have a balanced offense, depth at running back, qb and OL. On defense we have depth all over the place. We also have a great mix of a ball control offense that can also score points in spurts. In this case our 6-10 season was more of a let down from a team on the way up than a team overachieving. I think that is one of the biggest things. This team didn't overachieve last year, they under achieved. This year they overachieved a little but if we were healthy this team should have been a 12-14 win team.

Mike
I forgot to mention it Mike.
On the way home from the Bengals game, I heard you calling into one of the radio stations.
Your voice was already so hoarse, they thought you were "sentimental" because of the win.

I thought that was funny as hell, LOL!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012   #20
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 241723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Next season's opponents
HOME:
Indianapolis
Jacksonville
Tennessee
Buffalo
Miami
Baltimore
Green Bay
Minnesota

AWAY:
Indianapolis
Jacksonville
Tennessee
New England
New York Jerks
Denver
Chicago
Detroit

Hmmm... Sorry, but I don't see anyone on this list that is an automatic loss as they would have been in past years.

Our running game and swarming/attacking defense travels well. Although New England and maaaybe Detroit will be a challenge on the road.

I see no real threats at home. The only real toughies at home are the Ravens (why didn't we get them here?) and maybe Rodgers and the Pack. But the Giants showed he's susceptable to a pressure defense. We have a pressure defense.

And I see no reason why we cannot go 4-2 or better in the division again.

With a healthy Schaub and some upgrades in our WR group, 10-6, 11-5 is totally doable.

...or course, I still have an off-season koolaid buzz, soooo...
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read