Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-19-2012   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Chris Myers and Antonio Smith heading to Pro Bowl

Per 610 text -

SR610: Chris Myers and Antonio Smith are headed to the Pro Bowl. They'll replace Maurkice Pouncey and Andre Carter who are both injured.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #2
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Chris Myers & Antonio Smith going to Hawaii

According to quite a few people (on twitter) both just got named to the Pro-Bowl. Myers is Houston's first ever O-linemen to make the Pro-Bowl.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #3
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Chris Myers & Antonio Smith going to Hawaii

That's awesome...I am very happy for both of them and it really sucks that his dad doesn't post here anymore because of how folks dogged him in his early years...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #4
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
HOUSTON – Houston Texans C Chris Myers and DE Antonio Smith were added to the 2012 AFC Pro Bowl roster today. It is the first Pro Bowl appearance for both Myers and Smith, who will join teammate CB Johnathan Joseph on the AFC roster for the NFL’s all-star event in Honolulu, Hawaii on Sunday, Jan. 29 at 6 p.m. CT. The AFC squad will be led by Houston Texans head coach Gary Kubiak and his staff.

Myers (6-4, 289) is the first offensive lineman in franchise history to earn a trip to the Pro Bowl. The seventh-year veteran started all 18 regular season and postseason games for Houston’s second-ranked rushing offense. Led by Myers, the offensive line paved the way for 11 100-yard rushing performances and a franchise-record 2,448 yards rushing (153.0 per game) in the regular season. Myers has started 64 consecutive regular season games at center for the Texans since being traded to the team from Denver in 2008. He is replacing Pittsburgh C Maurkice Pouncey, who is not playing due to injury.

Smith (6-4, 280) had the best season of his career for Houston’s second-ranked defense. He recorded sacks in each of the first five games of the season and finished with a career-high 6.5 sacks, ranking second on the team. His streak of five games with at least half a sack tied for the second-longest streak in franchise history. An eight-year veteran, Smith totaled 25 tackles, 10 tackles for loss, 16 quarterback hits, three passes defensed and a forced fumble for a defense that allowed 285.7 yards per game and set a franchise record with 44 sacks. He is replacing New England DE Andre Carter, who is not playing due to injury.

Both Myers and Smith served as captains for the 2011 season. Texans RB Arian Foster, who was elected to his second consecutive Pro Bowl will not play in this year’s game due to injury.

Houston Texans in the Pro Bowl
Player, Position, Season (Career selection)
Arian Foster, RB, 2011 (Second)
Johnathan Joseph, CB, 2011 (First)
Chris Myers, C, 2011 (First)
Antonio Smith, DE, 2011 (First)
Arian Foster, RB, 2010 (First)
Andre Johnson*, WR, 2010 (Fifth)
Vonta Leach*, FB, 2010 (First)
Matt Schaub*#, QB, 2009 (First)
Brian Cushing, LB, 2009 (First)
Andre Johnson*, WR, 2009 (Fourth
DeMeco Ryans, LB, 2009 (Second)
Mario Williams, DE, 2009 (Second)
Owen Daniels, TE, 2008 (First)
Andre Johnson*, WR, 2008 (Third)
Mario Williams*, DE, 2008 (First)
DeMeco Ryans*, LB, 2007 (First)
Andre Johnson*, WR, 2006 (Second)
Jerome Mathis, WR, 2005 (First)
Andre Johnson, WR, 2004 (First)
Aaron Glenn*, CB, 2002 (Third)
Gary Walker*, DE, 2002 (Second)
* denotes Pro Bowl starter
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...headline_stack
Old 01-19-2012   #5
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

That's great news, and I'm real happy for both of these guys who are very deserving of a trip out there for the PB game.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #6
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Chris Myers and Antonio Smith heading to Pro Bowl

Great News!

This is a solid affirmation that Meyers is likely to be our center for the next few years at least. Tackles are good. Probably a change at guard will be the first alteration on the line.

And while I am very happy for Antonio Smith, I find it odd that he was promoted to the actual pro roster ahead of JJ Watt, who was also originally tapped as a pro-bowl alternate. I would have though JJ would have been promoted first, since he and Antonio play the same position and all.

Hopefully there will be at least a couple more promoted from alternate to the actual roster over the next week before the game.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #7
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
That's awesome...I am very happy for both of them and it really sucks that his dad doesn't post here anymore because of how folks dogged him in his early years...
Myers' dad knows he doesn't have to worry because I've got his back.

He responded to one of my posts on the houstontexans.com board (where I declared that Myers has been the most consistent O-linemen the Texans ever had under Kubiak) saying that he was glad somebody paid attention.

And he knows that I'm a regular poster on the Texanstalk board.

I can't help but putting that bolded part in bold.
(In the other Chris Myers' thread, if you follow one of the links, you will find a post where I said I graded out Myers as the best O-lineman on the team in the same year people ragged on him due to the Kris Jenkins snafu.)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-19-2012   #8
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
Great News!

This is a solid affirmation that Meyers is likely to be our center for the next few years at least. Tackles are good. Probably a change at guard will be the first alteration on the line.

And while I am very happy for Antonio Smith, I find it odd that he was promoted to the actual pro roster ahead of JJ Watt, who was also originally tapped as a pro-bowl alternate. I would have though JJ would have been promoted first, since he and Antonio play the same position and all.

Hopefully there will be at least a couple more promoted from alternate to the actual roster over the next week before the game.
While I absolutely love Watt, I also want to recognize that Antonio was playing with a bad shoulder for a while; otherwise, I think he would have even a better season.

Watt is still young; he will have plenty more opportunities.
Damn, this defense is going to be gooood for a long time, knock on wood!
Old 01-19-2012   #9
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Surprised Joseph is going for the first time.

I thought he'd gone before.
Old 01-19-2012   #10
JimBaker488
Veteran

Rep Power: 106 JimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Surprised Joseph is going for the first time.

I thought he'd gone before.
Getting JJ was not just a smart move for the Texans, but going to his first PB, 2 playoff games, and a huge new contract have to make JJ feel pretty good about his decision to come to Houston.
JimBaker488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
And that's a shame. Tells you about how "classy" some of our fans can be.

I'm not saying we should be all politically correct or pull punches. Only that we should at least be humane. I'm sure if my kid was a player, & he had issues, I could take some constructive criticism.... but the things being said about Chris Myers went beyond constructive criticism.

& it was wrong.
Old 01-19-2012   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...headline_stack
Quote:
and finished with a career-high 6.5 sacks, ranking second on the team.
We've got to do better than that. The second guy on this list needs to be closer to double digits. I like that there are at least 6 Texans with 4 or more sacks, that's really spreading the pressure around. But only one guy in double digits & no one else even close......

Not good...

Kudos to Chris Myers. Same to Antonio.....
Old 01-19-2012   #13
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Rep Power: 3847 RagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respected

I could care less how many are in double digits, what matters is how the team total ranks. The less guys in double digits, the less you will have to worry about paying top 5 money to when it is time to renew their contract.
RagingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #14
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingBull View Post
I could care less how many are in double digits, what matters is how the team total ranks. The less guys in double digits, the less you will have to worry about paying top 5 money to when it is time to renew their contract.
You can't scheme a defense like that.

Barwin, you had 9-1/2 sacks, you go on the IR or seat on the bench.
That sounds weird.

It's like we're wishing our players to under-perform so we don't have to pay them more money.

OK, Cush, you made enough good plays, now you're in the dog house because I can't afford you making any more TFL out there.
Old 01-20-2012   #15
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingBull View Post
I don't get this thinking....
Do you want a great defense or a low payroll?
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012   #16
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

They earned it no doubt about it.
Old 01-20-2012   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
They earned it no doubt about it.
So, are they pro-bowlers?
Old 01-21-2012   #18
clutch
Rookie

Rep Power: 960 clutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So, are they pro-bowlers?
going to the pro bowl makes them pro bolwlers right?? or am i missing something..
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read