Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-19-2012   #21
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mel Kiper Mock must have insider

I know we have a big need at the no.2 WR spot, but how about drafting one of these hybrid WR/TE types that is gaining in popularity. Guys like Jimmy Graham and Rob Gronkowski are a matchup nightmare for opposing defenses and those two guys were not first round draft picks. I know we have a really good TE group, but I think we can use more explosive plays from that position. I would love to have a guy like Jimmy Graham who can just out jump the DBs in the red zone. So, with all that said are there any guys out there in this year's draft who can be the next Jimmy Graham or Jermichael Finley? If we can get one of these guys with a later round pick, we can then draft for some other position of need (like another corner or OL) instead of a WR.
Old 01-19-2012   #22
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
I know we have a big need at the no.2 WR spot, but how about drafting one of these hybrid WR/TE types that is gaining in popularity. Guys like Jimmy Graham and Rob Gronkowski are a matchup nightmare for opposing defenses and those two guys were not first round draft picks. I know we have a really good TE group, but I think we can use more explosive plays from that position. I would love to have a guy like Jimmy Graham who can just out jump the DBs in the red zone. So, with all that said are there any guys out there in this year's draft who can be the next Jimmy Graham or Jermichael Finley? If we can get one of these guys with a later round pick, we can then draft for some other position of need (like another corner or OL) instead of a WR.
We need another WR. I don't think there is anyway around that.

But if we go corner or O-line in the first round I don't think it'd be the end of the world.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #23
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Kiper has us passing on Alshon Jeffery in favor of Mohamed Sanu, interesting. Maybe he knows something about Jeffery that we don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I think he's smokin something with that choice.

He knows where he put his crack pipe. That's about all he knows.

I just always look at Kiper and think "Tell me what's not gonna happen" and just like that, he does.
Old 01-19-2012   #24
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
We need another WR. I don't think there is anyway around that.

But if we go corner or O-line in the first round I don't think it'd be the end of the world.
Ofcourse we need another good WR, but this maybe the route the Texans take if the guy they want is not available. You certainly don't want to reach simply because of a need to fill a hole. The key is to get good value and the Texans may be better served drafting for some other position.
Old 01-19-2012   #25
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Houston Texans

Record: 10-6
* Mohamed Sanu, WR, Rutgers

When Andre Johnson was lost for a long stretch this season, it didn't totally derail the Houston offense. What it did do was severely hamper the Texans' play-action game, which can be simply devastating with the combination of a steady run game and the presence of Matt Schaub. In that scheme, the Texans can pile up chunk yardage with the pass, and Sanu is the type of guy who can stretch the field and be a huge threat across from Johnson. And when you consider that Johnson will be 31 entering the 2012 season, the Texans need this kind of presence around if he misses any more time. Sanu is hugely productive, creates space, has good speed and can contribute early.
Careful with this stuff now. You will get the site shut down for posting copy righted material and land yourself if prison for the next 5 years.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #26
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I know he's made some boneheaded plays, but some GM out there will probably be willing to take him for a 6th or 7th over what the WR they would draft otherwise.
Really? Did Casserly get a GM gig and I missed it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Kiper has us passing on Alshon Jeffery in favor of Mohamed Sanu, interesting. Maybe he knows something about Jeffery that we don't.
What he's saying is that Sanu can stretch the field, but Jeffery can't. I don't know if that's true - Jeffery has a 16.6 ypc career average. And Sanu carries an average of a little over 10 yards per reception.
Old 01-19-2012   #27
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Really? Did Casserly get a GM gig and I missed it?
We shall see. I think it's more likely he gets cut, but he could be worth something on the market.

Quote:
What he's saying is that Sanu can stretch the field, but Jeffery can't. I don't know if that's true - Jeffery has a 16.6 ypc career average. And Sanu carries an average of a little over 10 yards per reception.
Sanu and Alshon are used differently. Sanu does everything for Rutgers, which is why he has 115 receptions this year versus Alshon who had 49. The film I have seen of Sanu shows him all over the field, he's not just a deep threat. He goes over the middle, does quick slants, gets the long ball, etc etc. He's like an AJ to that team. Jeffery strikes me more as a homerun kind of guy to me. He gets a lot of deep routes.
Old 01-19-2012   #28
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sanu and Alshon are used differently. Sanu does everything for Rutgers, which is why he has 115 receptions this year versus Alshon who had 49. The film I have seen of Sanu shows him all over the field, he's not just a deep threat. He goes over the middle, does quick slants, gets the long ball, etc etc.
It's not that Sanu's "not just a deep threat". It's that he hasn't been used as a deep threat at all. He has one 50+ yard reception in 3 years. Not that Sanu couldn't run deep routes, or wouldn't be a value selection at #26. Just that Kiper's explanation of the pick (and his assessment of Jeffery) is whack. Jeffery has 7 50+ yard TD catches in his 3 seasons at South Carolina.
Old 01-20-2012   #29
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I read on another site several months ago that the reason Jerrery's stock is dropping is because of the fact that he added some weight last summer, and didn't take it off in preseason, thus making him a little slower and causing his lack of production this past season. I think his lack of production is also caused by poor QB play at S.C. as well. I think the Combine will be very important to him. Teams will want to see if he's lost the weight, regained his speed, and this will show his dedication to the sport and position.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012   #30
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't really buy scouting concerns of average speed and burst, that it will keep him from separating against NFL-caliber CB's. He has elite length, big strong mitts & owned SEC competition since freshmen year. In final game with Gamecocks he was Capital One Bowl MVP & that was vs Nebraska vaunted DB Alfonzo Dennard (ranked #29 prospect CBS Draft Scout)) Alshon caught 4 passes, TD & 148 yards in first half only, Jeffery was ejected in second half for fighting. 3,042 yards receiving over three seasons. Reminds me a little of Plaxico Burress when he came out of Michigan State & drafted 8th overall by the Pittsburgh Steelers. I would be happy if he's still there #26.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012   #31
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 72571 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

If Sanu is graded BPA at 26, draft him. If he isn't, then draft whoever is BPA at 26. I'll be singing the BPA all offseason. No need to reach at any position.
Old 01-21-2012   #32
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
If Sanu is graded BPA at 26, draft him. If he isn't, then draft whoever is BPA at 26. I'll be singing the BPA all offseason. No need to reach at any position.
can't imagine Sanu given a first round grade. Tweener size, skill set, almost reminds me of Reggie Bush without the burst.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012   #33
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 192752 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
While I'm with you on this we have to get a legit #2 WR.
However, a TE with some speed fits our offensive scheme and presents more of a deep threat than Dreessen - at least more separation - on play action and rollouts.

Just for chatting purposes, here's Mel HairGel's top five TEs
...the stats are... Ht / Wt / Rec. / Yds / Avg. / Long / TDs / Fumbles

Dwayne Allen (Clemson) .6-4 / 255 / 50 / 598 / 12.0 / 54 / 8 / 0
Orson Charles (Georgia) .6-3 / 241 /45 / 574 / 12.8 / 36 / 5 / 0
Coby Fleener (Stanford) .6-6 / 244 / 34 / 667 / 19.6 / 62 /10 / 0
Ladarius Green (La.-Laff) 6-6 / 230 / 51 / 606 / 11.9 / 44 / 8 / 0
Michael Egnew (Missouri) 6-6 / 245 / 50 / 523 / 10.5 / 39 / 3 / 0

None of these guys cracked his 1st rd but may start to vanish in the 2nd or 3rd.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012   #34
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I don't really buy scouting concerns of average speed and burst, that it will keep him from separating against NFL-caliber CB's. He has elite length, big strong mitts & owned SEC competition since freshmen year. In final game with Gamecocks he was Capital One Bowl MVP & that was vs Nebraska vaunted DB Alfonzo Dennard (ranked #29 prospect CBS Draft Scout)) Alshon caught 4 passes, TD & 148 yards in first half only, Jeffery was ejected in second half for fighting. 3,042 yards receiving over three seasons. Reminds me a little of Plaxico Burress when he came out of Michigan State & drafted 8th overall by the Pittsburgh Steelers. I would be happy if he's still there #26.
Agreed

But if Jeffrey fell to 17-20 range would you trade up and pick him?

I've got a feeling that either Floyd or Jeffery are going to fall out of the top 15. Either one of them would be worth trading up for. IMHO
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012   #35
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 192752 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Agreed

But if Jeffrey fell to 17-20 range would you trade up and pick him?

I've got a feeling that either Floyd or Jeffery are going to fall out of the top 15. Either one of them would be worth trading up for. IMHO
Say we did want to move up to #15 (that's the Eagles); what do guys think that we would have to give up?
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012   #36
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Say we did want to move up to #15 (that's the Eagles); what do guys think that we would have to give up?
1070(15) - 700(26) = 370 trade value points.

Our 2012 #2 = 380 trade value points.

That's an expectedly pretty good player -- 52nd -- to give. (Tate was 58th.)
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012   #37
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
1070(15) - 700(26) = 370 trade value points.

Our 2012 #2 = 380 trade value points.

That's an expectedly pretty good player -- 52nd -- to give. (Tate was 58th.)
Hell NO to that trade up idea, I want both Josh Chapman and Kevin Zeitler in the 2nd round. We need to figure out a way to gain a 2nd round pick not give it away. Of the top 3 WR's I think Jeffery has the potential to fall but there will be other great WR's at #26, Jones or Sanu, that don't require trading up for.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #38
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72571 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see any reason at all to trade up at all in this draft. Trading down could always be an option. I'm telling you guys, this is going to be a pretty boring draft for us. Lots of depth, lots of solid football players, hopefully a few diamonds in the rough.
Heck, I think the whole offseason will be pretty boring, depending on what happens with MW. I don't see us as big players in FA or making any big draft day splashes.
Old 01-22-2012   #39
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I don't see any reason at all to trade up at all in this draft.
There's not. Guys just like playing around with the draft pick formulas. It's possible that a team might make the Texans an offer to move back into the 2nd round. But, it's almost impossible to predict until the draft actually unfolds.

What may be easier to predict is what type of player the Texans would draft. After last year, we have a good idea of what Wade wants in a player. After 6 years, we have a pretty good idea of what Gary is looking for. And after 10 years, we know Bob McNair's criteria. You can narrow the field include and reject prospects based upon what's known about Texans football.
Old 01-22-2012   #40
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
There's not. Guys just like playing around with the draft pick formulas. It's possible that a team might make the Texans an offer to move back into the 2nd round. But, it's almost impossible to predict until the draft actually unfolds.

What may be easier to predict is what type of player the Texans would draft. After last year, we have a good idea of what Wade wants in a player. After 6 years, we have a pretty good idea of what Gary is looking for. And after 10 years, we know Bob McNair's criteria. You can narrow the field include and reject prospects based upon what's known about Texans football.
Yeah, I agree with this. It's just mho that scenarios w/trading up are ridiculous this offseason. I enjoy trying to spot likely candidates for the Texans.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read