Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Kubiak's practices in years past cost Texans victories?

House of Pain

Wild Speculator
I heard that blow-hard Dan Dierdorf say during the broadcast that Kubiak didn't allow defensive players to bat balls down during practice. If that is true, I'm kinda pissed off. I understand that sometimes, practice is just supposed to be to teach, learn and correct plays/players, but IMO not allowing a 'real game' situations to occur at practice kinda defeats the point of practicing as if it was a real game.

I understand that I won't attribute all the problems this team has had to this, however, it kinda makes me wonder: What other things was Kubes and Co. doing that held us back?

And for the people who are more optimistic, it's good that Wade came in here and was able to correct little things about the way that Kubiak does business to allow them to have a chance at being more successful in this league.

What do y'all think?

fiasco west

All Pro
I was very surprised to learn this. I then knew why it seemed like our guys never batted down balls...kinda silly if you ask me. I mean shouldn't your QB also know how to avoid having balls batted? So he needs the practice as well.

House of Pain

Wild Speculator
I was very surprised to learn this. I then knew why it seemed like our guys never batted down balls...kinda silly if you ask me. I mean shouldn't your QB also know how to avoid having balls batted? So he needs the practice as well.
That is really what I was getting at. Nobody is saying they can't have a few drills in which they just teach, but when it comes time to practice what they learn, the QB needs to execute the play with a live D coming right at him.

Showtime100

Got JJ?
Don't forget the possibility that Dierdorf could have heard somebody say that they read an article that said they heard a guy in the mens room say Kubiak doesn't allow the D to bat balls down in practice and decided to use it in the broadcast, seeing how credible the story might be...lol.

I would have to hear that from another source before I comment any further with the exception of utter disapproval if true.

House of Pain

Wild Speculator
Don't forget the possibility that Dierdorf could have heard somebody say that they read an article that said they heard a guy in the mens room say Kubiak doesn't allow the D to bat balls down in practice and decided to use it in the broadcast, seeing how credible the story might be...lol.

I would have to hear that from another source before I comment any further with the exception of utter disapproval if true.
I knew this is a definite possibility. What Dan Dierdorf is to journalism is what Jerry Sandusky is to child care.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
His "practice" of resigning Jacoby Jones and keeping him as our KR/PR was a bad practice that kept this team from winning in the playoffs. It was bad enough that he resigned that worthless bozo, but why he kept him as our returner all these years has really boggled me. It keeps on effecting our team year after year with his muffed catches he blows.

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
I heard that blow-hard Dan Dierdorf say during the broadcast that Kubiak didn't allow defensive players to bat balls down during practice. If that is true, I'm kinda pissed off. I understand that sometimes, practice is just supposed to be to teach, learn and correct plays/players, but IMO not allowing a 'real game' situations to occur at practice kinda defeats the point of practicing as if it was a real game.

I understand that I won't attribute all the problems this team has had to this, however, it kinda makes me wonder: What other things was Kubes and Co. doing that held us back?

And for the people who are more optimistic, it's good that Wade came in here and was able to correct little things about the way that Kubiak does business to allow them to have a chance at being more successful in this league.

What do y'all think?
While I'm not happy if this were true, you can't be certain that Dierdorf had the whole story or that it's totally accurate. It might be, but we don't know.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

What do y'all think?
I think Diedorf is wrong.

I distinctly recall J.J. Watt saying, after his Swat & Trot for a TD in the Cincy game, that he does it all the time in practice. In fact, he said that Garcia was getting pissed at him because he had batted down 3 or 4 of his balls down in a row.

In fact, here's the post-Cincy game quote from Buddha Wade himself...

DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR WADE PHILLIPS
(on DE J.J. Watt) “I told J.J. and the rest of the players, when you do it in practice you get to do it over and over and over. We weren’t surprised that he could that in fact we’re probably surprised that he hadn’t done it earlier because he’s done it so many times in practice. We were hoping it was going to happen and I’m glad it happened his time. He does it every day in practice. He knocks down more balls than anybody we have and he’s caught more in practice you be surprised how many times he’s done the exact same thing in practice throughout this season. That was a keynote play of the game. They tried to score before the half and we got to score and that was really the big turning point.”
There you have it. Diedorf is full of crap.
...unless you chose to believe him and not Wade...

Wolf

100% Texan
Dan said before wade got there, they didn't bat balls down and that wade put a stop to that and they bat balls down

mussop

Hall of Fame
I think Diedorf is wrong.

I distinctly recall J.J. Watt saying, after his Swat & Trot for a TD in the Cincy game, that he does it all the time in practice. In fact, he said that Garcia was getting pissed at him because he had batted down 3 or 4 of his balls down in a row.

In fact, here's the post-Cincy game quote from Buddha Wade himself...

There you have it. Diedorf is full of crap.
...unless you chose to believe him and not Wade...
Watt wasn't here when this was in effect. It wasn't until Phillips got here that it was hanged at his demand.

Showtime100

Got JJ?
If I read the OP correctly, it sounded as if Dierdorf was stating a current fact, as if the Texans do not, as opposed to didn't, allow batted balls in practice. If taken as true Dan is still full of it.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Dan said before wade got there, they didn't bat balls down and that wade put a stop to that and they bat balls down
Oh.

Well who the heck cares what happened last year? Last year's defensive "scheme" (and I use the term loosely) was chocked full of F-ups. And they focused on that one??
:mariopalm:
Who cares... It's Wade's defense now and he's running it as he sees fit.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I don't see how this directly relates to fewer victories. One could say that it may have cost victories, but that's impossible to prove.
I'm as happy as a Montrose resident on the troop train that we do allow it now, but I see no gain from castigated Kubiak for actions in years past.
As things stand today, we have the opportunity to join the ranks of perennial playoff teams. If we play like we did Sunday, with Schaub under center, we're a serious threat to win the Super Bowl. I'm looking forward to the depth we're gonna draft in April and holes we're gonna plug in FA. We have a few key FA's to take care of(none of them named Mario Williams) and our resume should take care of any doubts about FA's wanting to come play here. This should be a happy offseason with minor bitching about draft picks. I sincerely hope that none of them that aren't a WR starts.

Rey

They were talking about past years on the broadcast. If true, I can understand where kubiak is coming from, but if true he was wrong. Team drills aren't just for the offense to get a good look. Defense has to practice what they want to do on gameday too.

Kubiak- Hey damnit, TRAVIS JOHNSON quit batting down balls while we play offense....

TJ-......Ok. I'll just play more patty cake instead. Perfect for me.

Fast forward...

Kubiak- Hey damnit, JJ WATT....

JJ- *looks menacingly over at GK*

Kubiak-............good play there kid.

Scoobs

Practice Squad
That's a bit surprising. I've always had the idea that as a d-lineman, at the very least throw your arms up and try and knock down the ball.

The CFL team I follow had the same philosophy as Kubiak used to... and go figure, they were the worst team in the league.

Make it as hard as you possibly can for the QB to complete passes, I say.

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
I think it screwed with Schaub and as a result, in games, he was throwing late (behind or at the shoes of his receivers).

Big Lou

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't believe one word Dan Deirdouche says. Every game he called this year involving the Texans was a joke, he doesn't seem to care for the Texans very much. I'm probably just bieng oversensitive but it always seems like he's excited for the opposing team.

False Start

On # 69
If it was the case that Kubiak didn't allow balls to be batted down before this season, I think its kind of weird. How are the defensive players supposed to get better at it? and how are the QBs gonna be able to get better at avoiding their balls getting knocked down? IMO, it just sounds strange... :mcnugget: :thinking:

It would be like telling a baseball player, you can hit all you want, but don't hit HRs off the pitcher, and the outfielders cant hustle for fly balls.