Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-24-2012   #41
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: [Offseason] Let Rackers walk, sign/draft new kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
He's from the area also. He went to Klein HS. IIRC he was the kicker for the varsity team when he was a freshman back in 2005 (which was my senior year at Klein).

I wonder when's the earliest the Texans would consider drafting a kicker?
Well the Eagles took Alex Henry in the 4th last year, so I would guess we might have to spend a 5th on him, or at least a 6th. This is partially why I really hope the Texans trade out of the 1st, because picking up a 2nd, 4th and a 5th would mean that we can afford to spend a 5th on a kicker like Bullock. Ensure we get our guy, just a half round early or so.
Old 04-24-2012   #42
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Well the Eagles took Alex Henry in the 4th last year, so I would guess we might have to spend a 5th on him, or at least a 6th. This is partially why I really hope the Texans trade out of the 1st, because picking up a 2nd, 4th and a 5th would mean that we can afford to spend a 5th on a kicker like Bullock. Ensure we get our guy, just a half round early or so.
Yeah...I think trading out of the first is the way to go.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012   #43
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Yeah...I think trading out of the first is the way to go.
trade down with San Francisco (Hill) and then with Giants (Fleener) and pick up a few more picks, right? I could see an OG like Zeitler.
Old 04-24-2012   #44
TheBigpaki
Veteran

Rep Power: 759 TheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
trade down with San Francisco (Hill) and then with Giants (Fleener) and pick up a few more picks, right? I could see an OG like Zeitler.

If Smith could actually trade twice and still pick up a quality OG such as Zeitler I would be very impressed.
TheBigpaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012   #45
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
If that happened, mark it down: Best draft day move in Texas draft history.

But (a) would those two teams do that with us, and (b) could we still get Zeitler that way? It assumes a lot, IMO.

Sigh...I dunno. Cleveland seems like the team who has the most monopoly money to spend right now. I could see them looking for a partner, but hell...they could have several teams bargaining for a deal with them (which could devalue whatever compensation you want for that deal).
Old 04-24-2012   #46
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99196 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Dallas Morning news

Quote:
After winning the Lou Groza Award as the nation's best college football kicker, Randy Bullock seemed like a lock to make it to the next level as an NFL quarterback.
http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews....award-ams.html

Quote:
"During interviews at the NFL Scouting Combine, Houston Texans special teams coach Joe Marciano asked Texas A&M kicker Randy Bullock how he would handle his first adverse situation in the NFL," Williams writes.

"You've never had a slump," Marciano said. "What happens when you have your first one?"

Bullock, without blinking an eye, said, "Coach, my dad died when I was 15. How much more adversity is there?"
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012   #47
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 77871 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
That was witty, ballzy answer that could very well make him a Texan. I think I like this guy already. In my line of thinking, if they were going to resign Neil Rackers, they'd have already done it.

And a smart young man as well. Seems to fit the team mold. I'd like to see him in Deep Steel Blue.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-24-2012   #48
TheBigpaki
Veteran

Rep Power: 759 TheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
That was witty, ballzy answer that could very well make him a Texan. I think I like this guy already. In my line of thinking, if they were going to resign Neil Rackers, they'd have already done it.

And a smart young man as well. Seems to fit the team mold. I'd like to see him in Deep Steel Blue.
As an Aggie I love the guy, but I had him in one of my engineering classes, and he had it made. He would come in on days that HW was due, sit in the back and copy someones HW and turn it in. During test days, he had about 2/3 people sitting around him, feeding him all the answers. This is when I figured out how most football players get through college. But none of that matters, all that matters is that he is a good kicker and I want him on the Texans.
TheBigpaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012   #49
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 40560 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Boom, called this one before the season ended. He is a good kicker, but you can get one pretty darn close to his accuracy and leg for MUCH cheaper. not to mention he still makes bone headed misses which is frustrating
Old 04-24-2012   #50
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Good call.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012   #51
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 23727 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-neil-rackers/

Looks like you guys got your wish. Rackers to sign with the Skins.
Old 04-25-2012   #52
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

People will miss Rackers its not like good kickers grow on trees just ask cowgirl fans.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012   #53
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
People will miss Rackers its not like good kickers grow on trees just ask cowgirl fans.
We won't miss him unless our next kicker sucks. Hopefully that won't be the case.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012   #54
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66536 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
To me how a kicker does between 40 and 49 yards defines him (longer is gravy, and shorter should be a given).

Last year, Rackers 50% success rate in the 40-49 yard range put him at #32 in the NFL. That wasn't last because there were a couple of teams who used more than one kicker over the course of the season, but it was pretty darn close.

And contrary to your comment, adequate NFL kickers aren't that difficult to find.
Old 04-25-2012   #55
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

I am feeling a trade down in the mid rounds to pick up an extra 6th or 7th that they will use to draft a kicker.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012   #56
KA4Texan
C27A

Rep Power: 5487 KA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Meh, from what I remember he and Kris Brown were neck and neck.

I miss KB more than I would Rackers, KB had the history on the team to make me "loyal" to him....Rackers felt like a substitute, while I don't wish him any ill will or nothing, if I didn't cry over us moving past KB, I sure won't for Rackers.

Besides, the best time to try out rookie kickers IS when you have a solid team since you shouldn't have to rely on their foot AS much.
Old 04-25-2012   #57
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Did anyone see this on KRIV?

Rackers stated: “There’s more upside, more opportunity for advancement in Washington.”

Advancement???? What is there like levels of kickers no, did the Texans have him as the Assistant Kicker, or something and the Skins will make him Director of Kicking? Dude just say its for the money, we understand. With that said see ya, and thank you for your time here.....
Old 04-25-2012   #58
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post

Rackers stated: “There’s more upside, more opportunity for advancement in Washington.”

Advancement???? What is there like levels of kickers no, did the Texans have him as the Assistant Kicker, or something and the Skins will make him Director of Kicking? Dude just say its for the money, we understand. With that said see ya, and thank you for your time here.....
Lou, I was going to post the same thing man. Seriously was.

I agree. "Advancement"??? I guess he wants more than Junior Associate level? He wants his own Kicking Firm! That's the ticket! I see now.

Whew! I am glad we are not holding him back anymore. He is a peacock and we gotta' let him fly.

I think only a mere 5% of the NFL players leave a team and refrain from talking massive **** on that former team. From what I see, most guys are babies when they leave. They live a privileged life, albeit a physically demanding one...but still, they cry like they can never make another dollar in the NFL just because some team let them go. Geez.

My theory is Bob's way of handling things lends itself to players getting shocked that they are no longer on the payroll. He's a good owner. He takes care of his guys. A player here just gets to the point where they think they are an honorary Bob McNair grandkid or something. Right?
Old 04-25-2012   #59
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't mind drafting Bullock in the late rounds and it looks now that will be a very real possibility. However, it does surprise me a little that they let Rackers go so easily unless it was a cap space issue (He wanted more $ than we could afford!). Now that the Texans are a team with SB possibilities, I find it hard to believe Smithiak would take a chance on a Rookie Kicker who may decide the outcome of several games. It's a big risk because they let a "known quantity" go and there is no one out there available in FA, that I know of, that's any good, and Bullock is probably the only Kicker in the Draft worth taking. This could come back to bite them!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012   #60
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post

When Rackers said more opportunity maybe he meant more kicks per game since thats probably the only way Washington scores.......

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read