Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-16-2012   #21
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 80958 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: [Offseason] Let Rackers walk, sign/draft new kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
Unless I'm totally missing your point, Hartmann was a UDFA wasn't he?
thats right, I wanted him in the 7th
Old 01-16-2012   #22
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
I think a lot of you are blowing this our of proportion, why shouldn't we sign a 6 or 7th rounder to compete? whats the harm in that? since when did competition become a bad thing?
A-80, sometimes, I want to neg rep you just because I think you are trying to stir the pot...lol.

I think what your esteemed fans are trying to say is, yes, bring in competition, but not at the cost of a draft pick. K/P is a postion that's rarely drafted unless there's a real gem out there. Course, I could be talking out of my rear here too....
Old 01-16-2012   #23
amazing80
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 80958 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
A-80, sometimes, I want to neg rep you just because I think you are trying to stir the pot...lol.

I think what your esteemed fans are trying to say is, yes, bring in competition, but not at the cost of a draft pick. K/P is a postion that's rarely drafted unless there's a real gem out there. Course, I could be talking out of my rear here too....
Since most of you don't know me, here is how I feel about 6 and 7 rounders. I say use them on k or p because most of the time they do not amount to much, hell even use them as special team aces, but quit picking projects because they have failed and have been a waste for US....using a 7th on a kicker that you like, ensuring you get him, to come in and compete, how is that a waste?
Old 01-16-2012   #24
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 23870 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post

I think if you're in desperate need of a kicker, you can justify using a low round pick to get the guy you want.

If you are Houston and you feel you might be able to upgrade but it isn't a necessity, you definately have to draft the best player you can find at that spot who's going to have a chance to improve the rest of your team 2 or 3 years down the line.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #25
amazing80
Site Contributor

Quote:
I think if you're in desperate need of a kicker, you can justify using a low round pick to get the guy you want.

If you are Houston and you feel you might be able to upgrade but it isn't a necessity, you definately have to draft the best player you can find at that spot who's going to have a chance to improve the rest of your team 2 or 3 years down the line.
How has that worked for us? The only time is has, was 2009, which was our BEST draft ever.....every other time those players don't work out.
Old 01-16-2012   #26
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 281570 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
I think a lot of you are blowing this our of proportion, why shouldn't we sign a 6 or 7th rounder to compete? whats the harm in that? since when did competition become a bad thing?
That wasn't the original poster's intent. Have you seen anyone say competition was a bad thing? The idea that we should just summarily let Rackers go is what's being attacked. If the team finds a better kicker, hooray. I think we're all for that. But you don't cut your very productive kicker in order to take a chance on a bunch of unprovens. Since when is it bad that Rackers should stick around to compete with these draft picks or UDFAs? See how straw man arguments work?
Old 01-16-2012   #27
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 23870 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How has that worked for us? The only time is has, was 2009, which was our BEST draft ever.....every other time those players don't work out.
Faggins, CC Brown, David Anderson, Studdard, Diles, McCain, Nolan, all these guys were picked in the 6th or 7th round and went on to make a significant impact to our team years down the line.

Now, I'm aware that you will come back at me telling me that almost all of these were garbage, but think about it, they were our best available options at the time, we had no better player available to us than our 6th/7th round pickup.

Therefore, those choices in the late rounds made our team better later on. Hard to argue taking a flyer on a Kicker when you already have a high quality one on the roster when you see how many of the guys picked up at that point end up making a contribution at some stage, whether out of necessity or whatever.
We will remember them.
Sponsored links
Old 01-16-2012   #28
amazing80
Site Contributor

Quote:
Faggins, CC Brown, David Anderson, Studdard, Diles, McCain, Nolan, all these guys were picked in the 6th or 7th round and went on to make a significant impact to our team years down the line.

Now, I'm aware that you will come back at me telling me that almost all of these were garbage, but think about it, they were our best available options at the time, we had no better player available to us than our 6th/7th round pickup.

Therefore, those choices in the late rounds made our team better later on. Hard to argue taking a flyer on a Kicker when you already have a high quality one on the roster when you see how many of the guys picked up at that point end up making a contribution at some stage, whether out of necessity or whatever.
Faggins, Brown, Anderson, Diles are gone and I already said 2009 was our best draft ever.....Just because they played a lot doesn't mean they were useful....And I am saying taking a flyer on a k is worth it compared to taking a flyer on a skilled position....
Old 01-16-2012   #29
amazing80
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
That wasn't the original poster's intent. Have you seen anyone say competition was a bad thing? The idea that we should just summarily let Rackers go is what's being attacked. If the team finds a better kicker, hooray. I think we're all for that. But you don't cut your very productive kicker in order to take a chance on a bunch of unprovens. Since when is it bad that Rackers should stick around to compete with these draft picks or UDFAs? See how straw man arguments work?
he should stick around to compete
Old 01-16-2012   #30
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Quote:
Faggins, Brown, Anderson, Diles are gone and I already said 2009 was our best draft ever.....Just because they played a lot doesn't mean they were useful....And I am saying taking a flyer on a k is worth it compared to taking a flyer on a skilled position....
Seriously, they made our team better than it would have been without them. That makes them useful.

If they weren't the best we could get our hands on at the time, they wouldn't have been playing.

And that is before I get onto the contribution Diles made to this team until 'coaching' got the better of him last season.
We will remember them.
Old 01-16-2012   #31
amazing80
Site Contributor

Quote:
Seriously, they made our team better than it would have been without them. That makes them useful.

If they weren't the best we could get our hands on at the time, they wouldn't have been playing.

And that is before I get onto the contribution Diles made to this team until 'coaching' got the better of him last season.
Are you seriously keeping a straight face telling me Faggins and Brown made our team better?
Old 01-16-2012   #32
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 373208 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Rackers was ranked 24th in FG/XP and 29th in kickoffs for 2011 by ProFootballFocus.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #33
BigWig
Bigimus Wigimus

Rep Power: 1266 BigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respected

There was a comment in todays Austin paper about Phil Dawson being available and he wants to come back to Texas, but that also could be inferring Dallas too. I could see him being a Texan, we need more former Longhorns anyway.
BigWig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #34
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Quote:
Are you seriously keeping a straight face telling me Faggins and Brown made our team better?
Yes I am, they beat out everybody else the Texans were capable of signing at that time, the guys who were backing them up weren't as good as them, they guys who got cut in TC, weren't as good as the backups.
We will remember them.
Old 04-23-2012   #35
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 129709 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Texans kicker Rackers meets with Redskins: Free-agent kicker Neil Rackers, who did a terrific job with the Texan... bit.ly/JPEYsZ
https://mobile.twitter.com/#!/Chroni...91732195803136
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012   #36
The Medic01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1876 The Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's get that A&m kicker. You know the best in the country. He is really good and the kicker can be the difference in the playoffs as we have seen many times.
The Medic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012   #37
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Medic01 View Post
Let's get that A&m kicker. You know the best in the country. He is really good and the kicker can be the difference in the playoffs as we have seen many times.

and the regular season. Sebastian Janikowski basically beat us with his FG's from long range. 3 of 50+ yards and 1 of 42 yards last season.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012   #38
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10263 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans brought in A&M kicker Randy Bullock for a visit.. looks like they might be interested in picking this guy up if hes available late in the draft..

Randy Bullock, Kicker, Texas A&M, 5’9″ 212 lbs.

Considered the premier kicker coming out of college football (Lou Groza Award Winner) and also from Head Coach Gary Kubiak’s Alma Mater, this could possibly be a fit for the young kicker, especially with no signed kicker on the active roster. (Source: Jason Braddock per Pro Football Talk)
Old 04-23-2012   #39
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post
The Texans brought in A&M kicker Randy Bullock for a visit.. looks like they might be interested in picking this guy up if hes available late in the draft..

Randy Bullock, Kicker, Texas A&M, 5’9″ 212 lbs.

Considered the premier kicker coming out of college football (Lou Groza Award Winner) and also from Head Coach Gary Kubiak’s Alma Mater, this could possibly be a fit for the young kicker, especially with no signed kicker on the active roster. (Source: Jason Braddock per Pro Football Talk)
He's from the area also. He went to Klein HS. IIRC he was the kicker for the varsity team when he was a freshman back in 2005 (which was my senior year at Klein).

I wonder when's the earliest the Texans would consider drafting a kicker?

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012   #40
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
Really, thats a real crap shoot. We know what we have with Rackers.
YUP!! Kris Brown... Lite.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read