Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-16-2012   #1
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected
Default [Offseason] Let Rackers walk, sign/draft new kicker

Maybe the Texans can draft one, or sign one in free agency and let Rackers walk. Not confident in him at all. You have to be able to kick a long FG, especially in the playoffs. Anything over 40 yards is a 50-50 kick from Rackers and you can't have that. When was the last time Rackers kicked a FG that hit the net and didn't just barely make it in?
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #2
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: [Offseason] Let Rackers walk, sign/draft new kicker

Really, thats a real crap shoot. We know what we have with Rackers.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #3
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Did I make a troll thread or something? Why would someone vote this thread as one star? Maybe that person is Rackers' wife or something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
Really, thats a real crap shoot. We know what we have with Rackers.
Yes, and what we have in Rackers is a kicker who is iffy with any kick above 40 yards and where anything above 50 yards is a no-go. Texans can use an upgrade there and it's not like Rackers is under contract, making the decision even easier to let him walk.
Old 01-16-2012   #4
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

i was worried about rackers accuracy lately but he was spot on with all his kicks in the wind yesterday... once hes accurate dont really care that he doesnt having a booming leg
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #5
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
i was worried about rackers accuracy lately but he was spot on with all his kicks in the wind yesterday... once hes accurate dont really care that he doesnt having a booming leg
So he can miss 50 yard field goals with the wind at his back? In the playoffs, you NEED a kicker who can be money with kicks over 45 yards. Rackers is not that...
Old 01-16-2012   #6
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

GB, there was already a whole "I hate Rackers" thread with stats and everything. Finally, I realized why people get upset with the same threads. I had looked up stats and everything for that thread, and ultimately it died and people quit bumping it....

In summation: Rackers has a career 80% accuracy. The best in the history of the NFL is under 87%. No need to find a new kicker. Actually, the fact that he missed that 50 yarder yesterday was kind of a fluke, as he was 5 for 5 from that distance this year before yesterday.

No, I am not Rackers wife.
Old 01-16-2012   #7
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
So he can miss 50 yard field goals with the wind at his back? In the playoffs, you NEED a kicker who can be money with kicks over 45 yards. Rackers is not that...
When he lined up for that field goal, the wind was not at his back. Let's not make stuff up. They showed the goal post and the streams were blowing slightly to the left of Rackers. I think He tried to kick it so it didn't get too high into the swirling wind at the top of the stadium and so the lower kick bounced off the goal post...that is all.
Old 01-16-2012   #8
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Who gives a crap about a 50 yard field goal when Jacoby and Kareem Jackson suck ass??!!!
Old 01-16-2012   #9
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
GB, there was already a whole "I hate Rackers" thread with stats and everything. Finally, I realized why people get upset with the same threads. I had looked up stats and everything for that thread, and ultimately it died and people quit bumping it....

In summation: Rackers has a career 80% accuracy. The best in the history of the NFL is under 87%. No need to find a new kicker. Actually, the fact that he missed that 50 yarder yesterday was kind of a fluke, as he was 5 for 5 from that distance this year before yesterday.

No, I am not Rackers wife.
Rackers got booted out of Arizona for the same reason Kris Brown got booted out of Pittsburgh and then here. When the pressure is on, they can't get. Rackers has a average, maybe even slightly below average leg. It's not like he is an all world out there as a kicker. We can easily find a replacement for him in the draft or FA. Josh Scobee is one I'd look at.

Quote:
When he lined up for that field goal, the wind was not at his back. Let's not make stuff up. They showed the goal post and the streams were blowing slightly to the left of Rackers. I think He tried to kick it so it didn't get too high into the swirling wind at the top of the stadium and so the lower kick bounced off the goal post...that is all.
That's what they said during the broadcast, I'm not going around making stuff up. Let's not assume...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Who gives a crap about a 50 yard field goal when Jacoby and Kareem Jackson suck ass??!!!
Agree with Jacoby, but what did Kareem do that was so bad? He was making some good plays and constantly turned his head around. I clapped for him. I was impressed.
Old 01-16-2012   #10
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The announcers said the wind was at his back, so he's not making it up. But I didn't check the streams to verify, and we all know the announcers aren't always right.

As for me, I'm ok with Rackers coming back. I'm also ok with bringing in some competition.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #11
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Quote:
We can easily find a replacement for him in the draft or FA. Josh Scobee is one I'd look at.

That's what they said during the broadcast, I'm not going around making stuff up. Let's not assume...

Agree with Jacoby, but what did Kareem do that was so bad? He was making some good plays and constantly turned his head around. I clapped for him. I was impressed.
A.) http://www.pro-football-reference.co...erc_active.htm You will find Rackers about 5 spots ahead of Scobee...do we really have to do this again??

B.) I did not hear the broadcaster say that, and I am assuming at Rackers tactics, but I don't think it's too far off base. Also, I'm pretty sure I'm right about the streamers...but not 100%

C.) I also rooted for Kareem, I was like, "That's how you play Kareem!!!" I hope he takes that in to next season! Our D was HUGE today. People need to quit trying to find other scape goats....2 words: Jacoby, Yates.
Old 01-16-2012   #12
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

UDFA a new kicker, bring some heat on Rackers to improve. Waste of a draft pick.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #13
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

We've had this debate before. If I have to choose between accuracy and distance, I'll take accuracy. Kris Brown had a helluva leg, but you need your kicker to hit 80%+ to give you a realistic chance. Right now, you're complaining about Rackers missing a 50-yd. FG, but it wasn't that long ago that we had a kicker who couldn't reliably make a 30-39 yard FG. I worked the numbers his last couple years and Kris Brown was just about the absolute worst kicker between 30-39 yards, but everyone seemed to ignore it because he'd boot a 55 yarder. Well, I'll take accuracy.

Now, I'm all for bringing in competition every single year and trying to find that young kicker that can kick from all distances accurately.
Old 01-16-2012   #14
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
UDFA a new kicker, bring some heat on Rackers to improve. Waste of a draft pick.
Agree 100%, Rackers is alright. Sure I'd love to have a bigger leg at K but I wouldn't be comfortable letting him walk given how good he is from lower range.

The guy is screaming out for some camp competition, don't get me wrong, his limitations ensure that, but you can't just let him walk. He hasn't cost us any games has he.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #15
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 56179 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Really? Tell that to Hartmann, using a 6 or 7 on a K is not a wasted pick.....

Im with you, I think we need a new kicker, at least let them compete, if Rackers wins, then so be it, but bring in competition.....
Old 01-16-2012   #16
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
We can easily find a replacement for him in the draft or FA. Josh Scobee is one I'd look at.
Kind of a troll thread? yeah, when you post crap like this, it looks like it even if it isn't. Look up stats on Rackers and Scobee and you lose all credibility. As for the notion that it's "easy" to replace via draft or free agency, that's just patently absurd. It is not easy. There are always a few teams every season who have kicker problems, and they don't just pop down to the corner kicker store and sign a better option than Rackers.
Old 01-16-2012   #17
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Kind of a troll thread? yeah, when you post crap like this, it looks like it even if it isn't. Look up stats on Rackers and Scobee and you lose all credibility. As for the notion that it's "easy" to replace via draft or free agency, that's just patently absurd. It is not easy. There are always a few teams every season who have kicker problems, and they don't just pop down to the corner kicker store and sign a better option than Rackers.
I already found a link for him to ponder over...just 2 posts down. If you would keep reading, you wouldn't have to rant like this....
Old 01-16-2012   #18
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We have bigger fish to fry. We need to work on getting more offensive weapons that consistently yield touchdowns. Our offense should be effective enough to get us into the red zone on a regular basis. If we're having to consistently kick 50+ yd FGs then our offense has failed us.

Having said that, I have no issue with bringing in a FG-kicking version of Hartmann to challenge Rackers for that job come T/C time. May the best guy win. Everyone should know that they have to compete for their job; every year.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #19
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Really? Tell that to Hartmann, using a 6 or 7 on a K is not a wasted pick.....
Unless I'm totally missing your point, Hartmann was a UDFA wasn't he?
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #20
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 56179 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think a lot of you are blowing this our of proportion, why shouldn't we sign a 6 or 7th rounder to compete? whats the harm in that? since when did competition become a bad thing?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read