Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-16-2012   #41
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Decisions Facing our Offense This Offseason

'eh, there's a reason why no rookie QB has ever taken a team to the Super Bowl.

I think it's way too early to truly long-term evaluate Yates at this point. He did pretty good as a rookie off the bench in a weird season without an off-season.

He's already won a playoff game, as well as won a game with a lot riding on it against the Bengals to clinch the division. Dude has shown that he clearly has potential, which gives the coaches something to work with now.

I'm not saying that it is certain that there will be a QB controversy, but, I'm not going just outright dismiss the potential for it right now, either.

We have no idea how Schaub will be when he returns. Stranger things have happened in the NFL.

My own desire is Schaub returns healthy and is driven to continue what the 2011 season started, with Yates at no. 2 learning and maturing with time.
Old 01-16-2012   #42
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 133852 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayLu52 View Post
Hang in there. It's a good organization on the right track. P.S. I'll trade you Flacco for Schaab. We hate Flacco in Baltimore.
Well that's exactly why I'd like to find another QB for the future now so this coaching staff doesn't rely on Yates being the next guy down the road. Yates has a low ceiling and he'd be about as good as Flacco or Mark Bulger for the most part.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #43
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 133852 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
'eh, there's a reason why no rookie QB has ever taken a team to the Super Bowl.

I think it's way too early to truly long-term evaluate Yates at this point. He did pretty good as a rookie off the bench in a weird season without an off-season.

He's already won a playoff game, as well as won a game with a lot riding on it against the Bengals to clinch the division. Dude has shown that he clearly has potential, which gives the coaches something to work with now.

I'm not saying that it is certain that there will be a QB controversy, but, I'm not going just outright dismiss the potential for it right now, either.

We have no idea how Schaub will be when he returns. Stranger things have happened in the NFL.

My own desire is Schaub returns healthy and is driven to continue what the 2011 season started, with Yates at no. 2 learning and maturing with time.
It's not to early when you look at his skill set. I was never impressed with him as far as what he looked like he was able to do. He'll never be an elite passer type, he's not extremely mobile or anything either. He'd be an average QB at best as a starter and it would be like having Flacco, Delhomme, Bulger, Jason Campbell, or someone like that at QB.

We've seen how valuable elite QB's are in this league and how well they can keep your team towards the top year in and year out. Yates is not a potential elite QB down the road. No way in hell he ever becomes that good. Let's face it, we were faced with having a 3rd string QB play this season and many people had all types of blind optimism for this kid because they wanted to believe in him.

In the regular season he had 3 TD's to 3 INT's and also had 5 fumbles and threw for 949 yards in 6 games where he went 3-3 with one of the top defenses in the league to help him. In the playoffs he had 343 yards, 1 TD to 3 INT's and went 1-1. Those numbers stink from a statistical standpoint. Now, he was a rookie that was thrown into the fire so I understand that there has to be a learning curve there, but if you remember we discussed this in the TJ Yates thread when he was first put in there and I said this kid wasn't going to be capable of taking us anywhere. He did alright though. I"m not tripping off of what he wasn't able to do, because I never expected him to do much. He doesn't have any type of awsome skill set though. He'd be a decent "stop gap" QB at best for this team while we search for an elite level QB to be a top end passer for years to come if Schaub went down again. I'd like him just fine as a backup. But as far as a future starter, HELL NO!
Old 01-16-2012   #44
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I understand where you're coming from, Tex, but we'll have to agree to disagree that we know Yates' ceiling at this point.

He was playing off the bench in trial by fire situation and he showed some good and some bad.

You very well could be proven right in the long run. But, you know this staff will stick with him, it's what they do. Hopefully, since that's the case, you are proven wrong or it'll be a tough thing to watch otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
We've seen how valuable elite QB's are in this league and how well they can keep your team towards the top year in and year out. Yates is not a potential elite QB down the road. No way in hell he ever becomes that good. Let's face it, we were faced with having a 3rd string QB play this season and many people had all types of blind optimism for this kid because they wanted to believe in him.
The problem is there are only 4-5 'elite' QBs in the league, so most teams are faced with having to go with QBs who are good to mediocre to downright bad.

Heck, look at the last four teams in the playoffs. Only one has an elite QB. Two teams with elite QBs lost this weekend, and one of them lost to Alex Smith!

The majority of QBs in this league will not be elite, so teams have to work with what's available. As we all know, there are no sure-fires out of the draft.

My concern with Yates is consistency. I think he can be taught to read defenses and experience will help him grow. He's already shown a resolve under pressure that can't be taught, so the intangible that can make or break teams is that crucial decision making process that does not give the ball way.
Old 01-16-2012   #45
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Heck, look at the last four teams in the playoffs. Only one has an elite QB. Two teams with elite QBs lost this weekend, and one of them lost to Alex Smith!
I'd have to say there are two elite QB's left in Brady and the other Manning .... Other than that , I agree with your post.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #46
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I'd have to say there are two elite QB's left in Brady and the other Manning .... Other than that , I agree with your post.
Drew Brees has been just as good if not better than Peydon Manning since he went to the Saints. His stats have been right there with Manning's stats for years and he has been to the SB once and beat Manning in that game where Manning threw the game away.

Brees didn't lose that game for his team. He actually won it for his team. The problem was that they scored to early leaving one minute and 30 seconds left on the clock where Alex Smith was able to cut up that defense to make another come from behind drive. Brees did everything he needed to do against an elite 49ers defense that hit him all game long. Some of the throws he made were simply outstanding. Drew Brees changed that entire franchise since the moment he got there.

The only reason why many folks act like Manning is so much better than guys like Brees which he isn't is because of all of those audibles he does and stuff like that. That hasn't made him a better QB or a more effective one though. That stuff Manning does at the line of scrimmage hurts his team a lot as well when he makes those mistakes. Realistically Manning hasn't really achieved much more though, and has had better weapons to work with throughout his career.
Old 01-16-2012   #47
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
It's a good organization on the right track. P.S.
That sounds familiar??
Old 01-16-2012   #48
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well that's exactly why I'd like to find another QB for the future now so this coaching staff doesn't rely on Yates being the next guy down the road. Yates has a low ceiling and he'd be about as good as Flacco or Mark Bulger for the most part.
How can you be so sure where Tj's ceiling is?

Once they get to the pros, it's all about what goes on between their ears. Tj has shown that he can process a lot of information in a short amount of time.

He was running the practice squad, so it's not like he's been taking snaps in this system all year....

Tj Yates' future looks very bright to me.
Old 01-16-2012   #49
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I understand where you're coming from, Tex, but we'll have to agree to disagree that we know Yates' ceiling at this point.

He was playing off the bench in trial by fire situation and he showed some good and some bad.

You very well could be proven right in the long run. But, you know this staff will stick with him, it's what they do. Hopefully, since that's the case, you are proven wrong or it'll be a tough thing to watch otherwise.

The problem is there are only 4-5 'elite' QBs in the league, so most teams are faced with having to go with QBs who are good to mediocre to downright bad.

The majority of QBs in this league will not be elite, so teams have to work with what's available. As we all know, there are no sure-fires out of the draft.

My concern with Yates is consistency. I think he can be taught to read defenses and experience will help him grow. He's already shown a resolve under pressure that can't be taught, so the intangible that can make or break teams is that crucial decision making process that does not give the ball way.
He turns into Mark Bulger at best and that is not something that I want.

I really don't see how you could comment that two elite QB's lost yesterday either and make that as some sort of reasoning. Those two QB's you're talking about have won 2 out of the last 3 SB's and were both favorites to go to the SB this year in the NFC. Elite QB's don't win the SB every year, but one seems to be involved almost every year that wins it. There is also the best out of those elites that is still playing right now and that is Tom Brady. Brees made a come back drive to win, and there was 1:36 left on the clock unfortunately for him. Elite QB's drive this league.

You're right that it's hard to get one. We're in a great position right now to find one though, because we can be patient with Matt Schaub unless he gets hurt again. I'd make a big move if one were to be available though for a trade though. I'd trade the house to get one.
Old 01-16-2012   #50
pirbroke
All Pro

Rep Power: 12954 pirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respected

From the Texans main site, Quotes from Kubiak.

We have a taste of that. We know what it’s like, but this will probably be our biggest offseason because we will have to step it up. If we want to get there and we want to win a championship,

Biggest offseason, man if it's half as good as last years I will be jumping for joy. It is going to be a very intersting offseason that's for sure.
pirbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #51
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:

You're right that it's hard to get one. We're in a great position right now to find one though, because we can be patient with Matt Schaub unless he gets hurt again. I'd make a big move if one were to be available though for a trade though. I'd trade the house to get one.
Would you be upset if we had rolled the dice on Brees & his shoulder not worked out?

I'm talking back in 2006.
Old 01-16-2012   #52
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirbroke View Post
From the Texans main site, Quotes from Kubiak.

We have a taste of that. We know what it’s like, but this will probably be our biggest offseason because we will have to step it up. If we want to get there and we want to win a championship,

Biggest offseason, man if it's half as good as last years I will be jumping for joy. It is going to be a very intersting offseason that's for sure.
That's good news to hear if Kubiak and Smith will walk the walk as far as free agency and trades go.
Old 01-16-2012   #53
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Drew Brees has been just as good if not better than Peydon Manning since he went to the Saints. His stats have been right there with Manning's stats for years and he has been to the SB once and beat Manning in that game where Manning threw the game away.

Brees didn't lose that game for his team. He actually won it for his team. The problem was that they scored to early leaving one minute and 30 seconds left on the clock where Alex Smith was able to cut up that defense to make another come from behind drive. Brees did everything he needed to do against an elite 49ers defense that hit him all game long. Some of the throws he made were simply outstanding. Drew Brees changed that entire franchise since the moment he got there.

The only reason why many folks act like Manning is so much better than guys like Brees which he isn't is because of all of those audibles he does and stuff like that. That hasn't made him a better QB or a more effective one though. That stuff Manning does at the line of scrimmage hurts his team a lot as well when he makes those mistakes. Realistically Manning hasn't really achieved much more though, and has had better weapons to work with throughout his career.
I was talking about the Manning who's still in the playoffs .... The one who just beat Green Bay in their place.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 01-16-2012   #54
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I see no problem with letting Yates sit 2 more years. He showed some talent, grit and leadership this season. He might be the next Aaron Rodgers. He might also be the next Kevin Kilb and we can always use the extra draft picks. The Texans would be foolish to try and draft a QB out of need this draft. Lots of other areas need depth first.
Old 01-16-2012   #55
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I was talking about the Manning who's still in the playoffs .... The one who just beat Green Bay in their place.
You think Eli Manning is elite all of a sudden over Brees and Rogers?? Wow.
Old 01-16-2012   #56
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
As a Ravens fan...I must tell you that Houston's future is bright. I see in Houston what we have had for many years. A damn good defense. A couple of decent receivers and a solid tight end and an awesome running back. Not to mention Schaab. The questions is...Will you seek an offensive coordinator as good as your DC Wade Phillips? Your offense is kind of vanilla like ours has been for too many years. You are only a couple of players away from a super bowl run and I see Houston being a contender for the next five years at least. That's all you can ask for. Everything else is icing on the cake. As far as yesterday...you were the better team. However, our experience and ability not to turn the ball over or commit penalties is what allowed us to hold on. One more thing...Schaab would have never thrown the ball up for grabs in Ed Reed's vacinity. And fans are finally coming around to realize that Ladarius Webb is a top 5 corner in the league but it's hard for him to get the 'pub' when we have Lewis, Suggs, Reed and Ngota. Hang in there. It's a good organization on the right track. P.S. I'll trade you Flacco for Schaab. We hate Flacco in Baltimore.
Only if you'll take Jacoby for Anquan Boldin AND K. Jackson for L. Webb.

oh, and thanks for the kind words too.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #57
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Damn , did you have to ruin my day !?
Oh...
my bad.
Just pretend I didn't say anything
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #58
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
That's good news to hear if Kubiak and Smith will walk the walk as far as free agency and trades go.
I bet we go into next season with the basically the same team.
Old 01-16-2012   #59
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I wouldn't say over those two, but he's shown he's on a par with them. I haven't been able to stand Eli since he came into the league, but you have to give credit where credit is due. He's earned it.
Old 01-16-2012   #60
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Who said anything about over those guy's ? I said he's an elite QB .... Not comparing him to anyone. The results speak for themselves.

You read more into what I said than what I said.

I Miss Good Schaub.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read