Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-16-2012   #21
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Decisions Facing our Offense This Offseason

Trade Jacoby Jones to Detroit for Megatron and Suh.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #22
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom17 View Post
I hope Uncle Bob will loosen & open the purse string for Wade Philipps! I think this PRIORITY # UNO!
I believe Wade is already the highest paid DC in the league.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #23
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Trade Jacoby Jones to Detroit for Megatron and Suh.
Won't work. Matt Millen isn't in Detroit any longer.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #24
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

If there is anything we've learned this season, it is that good depth will make a good team even better. That's what we had this year and we were awesome for it. We don't know if Schaub will be back to full strength yet, we keep Yates and let him sit. IF we need him, he will do fine.

I'm down for getting another WR to go with Dre because we simply don't know how Dre will hold up next year and I think we've all seen how our offense can work with even a 5th round rookie 3rd string QB playing, so long as Dre is out there.

For once, I feel that the pieces are there with this team. Now it's a matter of making it happen.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #25
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 9013 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Sign & Trade Mario for draft picks
2. Use those draft picks to trade for a higher position in the draft.
3. Draft Justin Blackmon from OSU
4. ???
5. Elite WR corps
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #26
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Won't work. Matt Millen isn't in Detroit any longer.
Damn , did you have to ruin my day !?

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 01-16-2012   #27
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-16-2012   #28
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 13325 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think you change a thing going at QB going into 2012. As usual, Schaub will be our starter and you can let T.J. and Leinart duke it out in preseason/offseason for the back-up spot. Flame away, but I am still not sold that T.J. is miles and away better than Leinart based on what I saw this year. I'll let Kubiak and Co decide that.
Old 01-16-2012   #29
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro View Post
I don't think you change a thing going at QB going into 2012. As usual, Schaub will be our starter and you can let T.J. and Leinart duke it out in preseason/offseason for the back-up spot. Flame away, but I am still not sold that T.J. is miles and away better than Leinart based on what I saw this year. I'll let Kubiak and Co decide that.
While I agree with you here - Its going to come down to cap space IMO. Lienart is expendable with Yates proving to be capable.

With Foster and MW looking to get new deals that will be pretty sizable I think a couple of guy's will get cut .... Leinart and J.Jones being the two most obvious to creating about $6m in cap space between the two.

For the production they give the team can find cheaper alternatives .... likely thru the draft in the case of WR.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 01-16-2012   #30
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
If Schaub won't be back for the beginning of next season, than we need to find a new QB immediately and that has to become a draft need big time. I'd like to find an elite level type QB to replace Schaub eventually. Not this TJ Yates kid who has an average level ceiling.
I agree with this. I'd like to see us take a WR in the 1st, and a Ryan Mallett type (by which I mean a talented QB who could've been a 1st rounder but slips to the 2nd or 3rd) afterwards to groom for the future. Schaub is coming off a major injury and is no longer a spring chicken. Yates may make a dramatic jump with a full off-season but he looks like a career back up to me (just average). We need to start thinking ahead before Schaub is done and we have no replacements waiting in the wings.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #31
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Where did you hear that?

I'm not doubting you; especially with the rumors that Peyton may be trade bait. It's just that's the first I've heard of him wanting to come here. If we can sign him for a reasonable amount, then I'm all for it.
I was wondering the same thing about Reggie Wayne.

All I could find in the news was Reggie saying something positive to AJ about being happy that he's finally in the playoffs, but I did not find anything indicating that he wants to play here. But, like you, if possible, it's a no brainer!

As far as the thread topic: cut Jacoby, prioritize WR in draft/FA and find a good RT (move Winston inside).

And sign a competent punt returner!!! Field position is one of the most important stats in games along with turnover ratio.
Old 01-16-2012   #32
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I do like what I've seen from TJ but he will not start over Matt & I'd be stunned if Schaub is not re-signed to another deal sometime. Yates could be the perfect back up, cheap low draft pick, needs time to develop and prob will not bring much in a trade. If in 2-3 years he is the answer, pay him. If not, our team should be deep enough to spend a high round on a QB to replace Schaub.
Old 01-16-2012   #33
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Have to have an experienced #2 WR, which means FA ..... AJ is too old for us to draft & hope.

Matt/TJ & whoever at QB. Let Leinart move on.

Definitely add some OL depth. If Myers goes down, we're in trouble.

Draft even more WRs ... somebody big/big hands! (Gronkowski-esque) I'm all over the basketball player WR/TE who blocks you out with his body -- such a tough matchup.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #34
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

All of the obvious moves that have been mentioned are great. I have one thing to add for consideration, however:

I'd like to see some emphasis put on TE. Yeah, I know that sounds funny, since we drafted something like 11 TEs in 3 years or whatever, but if you think about it, OD has not fulfilled the promise we all thought he had. That's due to injury in part, but he's still not there even now. He makes some amazing grabs from time to time, but then he disappears for games at a time. After watching that 49ers vs. Saints game, I really started to have TE envy LOL. Furthermore, if you think about the Super Bowls that Kubiak has been involved with, he's had great TEs (Brent Jones and Shannon Sharpe). OD is good, but he's far too inconsistent to be considered great.

So I guess I want Kubiak to make a concerted effort to give Graham and/or Casey a chance to prove they can be a mainstay and/or get a big, tall, athletic freak TE prospect that played basketball or something. I'd like to see more red zone TDs from our TEs. I'd also like to see someone on this team that can go get jump balls in the end zone. So make that one player.
Old 01-16-2012   #35
RayLu52
noob

As a Ravens fan...I must tell you that Houston's future is bright. I see in Houston what we have had for many years. A damn good defense. A couple of decent receivers and a solid tight end and an awesome running back. Not to mention Schaab. The questions is...Will you seek an offensive coordinator as good as your DC Wade Phillips? Your offense is kind of vanilla like ours has been for too many years. You are only a couple of players away from a super bowl run and I see Houston being a contender for the next five years at least. That's all you can ask for. Everything else is icing on the cake. As far as yesterday...you were the better team. However, our experience and ability not to turn the ball over or commit penalties is what allowed us to hold on. One more thing...Schaab would have never thrown the ball up for grabs in Ed Reed's vacinity. And fans are finally coming around to realize that Ladarius Webb is a top 5 corner in the league but it's hard for him to get the 'pub' when we have Lewis, Suggs, Reed and Ngota. Hang in there. It's a good organization on the right track. P.S. I'll trade you Flacco for Schaab. We hate Flacco in Baltimore.
RayLu52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #36
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
1. Sign Robert Meachem!.. He will be a rather affordable free agent WR with playmaking ability, elite speed, and he is also a good blocker.

2. Add depth in the draft at OL

3. Re-sign Dreessen (if affordable)

That's it. We don't need much... We don't have room for much... Next year's depth chart should look like this, IMO:
I think this is about it, maybe not Meacham perse but someone in that mold.

I am guessing that Dreessen is not affordable, but I hope to be wrong.
Old 01-16-2012   #37
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayLu52 View Post
The questions is...Will you seek an offensive coordinator as good as your DC Wade Phillips?
Gary Kubiak would be the most sought after OC if he was not a HC for the Texans.

Schaub threw for over 9000 yards combined for the 2009/2010 seasons. Foster leads the league in yards from scrimmage the past two seasons combined. OC is not a problem for the Texans.

The Ravens are a good team, but I have no doubt that the Texans would have at least been the no. 2 seed in the AFC if Schaub was healthy for the whole season. The Ravens would have come to Houston for the game. And based on the yesterday's game, I think the AFC Championship would be NE vs. HOU if Schaub was healthy.

Appreciate the props from Ravens fan. Y'all better take your shot this year, though, because you're team is getting old. The Texans are young and hungry, and I have little doubt that yesterday was a learning experience that will only serve to make them bigger and badder in 2012.
Old 01-16-2012   #38
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 109012 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
All of the obvious moves that have been mentioned are great. I have one thing to add for consideration, however:

I'd like to see some emphasis put on TE. Yeah, I know that sounds funny, since we drafted something like 11 TEs in 3 years or whatever, but if you think about it, OD has not fulfilled the promise we all thought he had. That's due to injury in part, but he's still not there even now. He makes some amazing grabs from time to time, but then he disappears for games at a time. After watching that 49ers vs. Saints game, I really started to have TE envy LOL. Furthermore, if you think about the Super Bowls that Kubiak has been involved with, he's had great TEs (Brent Jones and Shannon Sharpe). OD is good, but he's far too inconsistent to be considered great.

So I guess I want Kubiak to make a concerted effort to give Graham and/or Casey a chance to prove they can be a mainstay and/or get a big, tall, athletic freak TE prospect that played basketball or something. I'd like to see more red zone TDs from our TEs. I'd also like to see someone on this team that can go get jump balls in the end zone. So make that one player.
Very well put, that popped into my head as well. We need to see if our 9th string guys, or Casey have it, if not draft a good TE.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #39
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayLu52 View Post
The questions is...Will you seek an offensive coordinator as good as your DC Wade Phillips?
As pointed out before, we have him already.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #40
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nick Scurfield @NickScurfield

It's highly likely Delhomme and Garcia will be cut following the season, but there's a strong chance a quarterback competition could develop between the returning Schaub and the rookie Yates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
No, there isn't.
Sure there is. There's just no chance whatsoever that Yates overtakes Schaub. It won't be a controversy but you can bet your ass Schaub will come back wanting to assert himself and Yates will no doubt want to continue to improve. He'll do what he's told of course but they're both (hopefully) competitive players. There will be no controversy. None at all. Nobody in their right mind thinks Matt Schaub will not be the QB next season. There will absolutely be competition between them though.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read