Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-15-2012   #1
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Ladies and Gentleman, our frachise Left Tackle has arrived!

Duane Brown was good all year, and he picked the biggest game to play his best game of his whole career in my opinion. He made Terrell Suggs a total non-factor the whole game. I was on the fence about how much he would develop a few years ago, and I was still concerned coming into this game against one of the best pass rushers in the league. But this guy has turned into one of the top 4 Left Tackles in the league in my view. I'm tired of the negative threads. It's time to start giving praise to some of the guys who have made this a memorable season for me, and I'm sure a lot of other fans. We have a bright future next season, if we make a few moves.

I.E. Cutting Jacoby...... Sorry I couldn't help myself.

Edit: Obviously there's no such thing as a Tacklet. Mods please edit.

Last edited by Texn4life; 01-16-2012 at 01:48 AM.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #2
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316
Default Re: Ladies and Gentleman, our frachise Left Tacklet has arrived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Duane Brown was good all year, and he picked the biggest game to play his best all day. He made Terrell Suggs a total non-factor the whole game. I was on the fence about how much he would develop a few years ago, and I was still concerned coming into this game against one of the best pass rusher in the league. But this guy has turned into one of the top 4 Left Tackles in the league in my view. I'm tired of the negative threads. It's time to start giving praise to some of the guys who have made this memorable season for me, and I'm sure a lot of other fans. We have a bright future next season, if we make a few moves.

I.E. Cutting Jacoby...... Sorry I couldn't help myself.

Edit: Obviously there's no such thing as a Tacklet. Mods please edit.
You can edit it yourself, homie.
Old 01-15-2012   #3
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ladies and Gentleman, our frachise Left Tackle has arrived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
You can edit it yourself, homie.
That little "Go advanced" tab does serve a purpose doesn't it? Sorry, I'm a little computer illiterate.
Old 01-15-2012   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

If you get a chance, go back & watch the week 6 game. There's a play in there where the refs are trying to get to the pile & Duane Brown is in the way. One ref puts a hand on the big guy's shoulder & Duane swats at him.... probably thinking he was a Raven.

Duane sees the ref & I swear he shrinks up sooooooooo fast. Lucky he didn't get a penalty.

I do agree Duane's the Baddest Mofo in the NFL.

Just imagine we draft our two starting guards in the next draft, 1st & 2nd round.

Think Davis & Iupati or Ferguson & Mangold...... I know that's not exactly two guards, but you should get the idea.

Bring Brisiel back as depth, cut Wade.... I know the OL was awesome all year, I'm talking about dominating game in & game out.
Old 01-15-2012   #5
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If you get a chance, go back & watch the week 6 game. There's a play in there where the refs are trying to get to the pile & Duane Brown is in the way. One ref puts a hand on the big guy's shoulder & Duane swats at him.... probably thinking he was a Raven.

Duane sees the ref & I swear he shrinks up sooooooooo fast. Lucky he didn't get a penalty.

I do agree Duane's the Baddest Mofo in the NFL.

Just imagine we draft our two starting guards in the next draft, 1st & 2nd round.

Think Davis & Iupati or Ferguson & Mangold...... I know that's not exactly two guards, but you should get the idea.

Bring Brisiel back as depth, cut Wade.... I know the OL was awesome all year, I'm talking about dominating game in & game out.
I know where you're getting at, but I just think the chemistry we have with the OL is too good to mess with right now. I'm all for drafting a future Center and guards to replace these guys, but I would only draft for depth this year.

We were extremely lucky that Brisiel was the only starting lineman that was injured this season. Butler will be back which is huge. I think Myers will be signed to a 2 year deal, and we'll need to start figuring out replacements past that point. But I think we need to keep this starting group in tact for the next 2 years.
Old 01-15-2012   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I know where you're getting at, but I just think the chemistry we have with the OL is too good to mess with right now. I'm all for drafting a future Center and guards to replace these guys, but I would only draft for depth this year.

We were extremely lucky that Brisiel was the only starting lineman that was injured this season. Butler will be back which is huge. I think Myers will be signed to a 2 year deal, and we'll need to start figuring out replacements past that point. But I think we need to keep this starting group in tact for the next 2 years.
When we were trying to learn the system... I agree, don't mess with too much. But we should be able to at least replace Wade (big drop off from him this year).
Old 01-15-2012   #7
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Our franchise LT actually arrived last season... He was kicking ass and taking names then as well.

It is nice to completely not have to worry about that side though and I'm starting to take if for granted. When I watch our QBs drop back I don't even look over there, I mainly focus on Winston. Duane Brown is automatic and has every defender on lock down. I call him the prison guard. You step out of line, you get dealt with.

I do focus on him when I'm rewatching games or watching highlights though. He's a mean dirty SOB and I'm glad he plays for us. .

Let's put it this way...if I was in a hairy situation and was caught in a back alley..there's 3 guys I'd want by my side.

1. Duane Brown
2. Brian Cushing
and
3. Ron Artest (everybody needs that one crazy sob to do what needs to be done, but what nobody else is willing to do...Artest is that guy. Go to a bachelor party in Mexico and you'll know what I'm talking about. **** world peace, Artest would be one hell of a asset)
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-15-2012   #8
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 49664 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

wait wait wait, you mean Duane Brown from VaTech? The SAME Duane Brown that was a quote "Dumb ass pick and a reach at #26 when he was projected to go in the 3rd round" Duane Brown.

The same Duane Brown that this FO picked but was ridiculed for "another 1st round bust?"

That Duane Brown?

Meeeh He alright....

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #9
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Brown and Myers

Thanks, HOF'er Alex Gibbs

I'm glad some on this MB believed in Gibbs.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #10
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Our franchise LT actually arrived last season... He was kicking ass and taking names then as well.

It is nice to completely not have to worry about that side though and I'm starting to take if for granted. When I watch our QBs drop back I don't even look over there, I mainly focus on Winston. Duane Brown is automatic and has every defender on lock down. I call him the prison guard. You step out of line, you get dealt with.

I do focus on him when I'm rewatching games or watching highlights though. He's a mean dirty SOB and I'm glad he plays for us. .

Let's put it this way...if I was in a hairy situation and was caught in a back alley..there's 3 guys I'd want by my side.

1. Duane Brown
2. Brian Cushing
and
3. Ron Artest (everybody needs that one crazy sob to do what needs to be done, but what nobody else is willing to do...Artest is that guy. Go to a bachelor party in Mexico and you'll know what I'm talking about. **** world peace, Artest would be one hell of a asset)
I've been high on Duane too, but he validated everything I was feeling today. He shut down one of the biggest trash talkers in the league today. Suggs was out to prove a message, and there were times when Brown made him look like a little kid out there. They even moved him to the other side most of the time later in the game because Brown completely handled him.
Old 01-16-2012   #11
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
When we were trying to learn the system... I agree, don't mess with too much. But we should be able to at least replace Wade (big drop off from him this year).
Yeah, he's been a little worse than he was last year but not as bad as some are making him out to be in my opinion. I'd like to see a middle round pick brought in to push him if possible.
Old 01-16-2012   #12
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've been high on Duane too, but he validated everything I was feeling today. He shut down one of the biggest trash talkers in the league today. Suggs was out to prove a message, and there were times when Brown made him look like a little kid out there. They even moved him to the other side most of the time later in the game because Brown completely handled him.
He's been doing that to elite pass rushers for two seasons now. He even did that to Suggs the first time they met... If I remember correctly I think the only stat Suggs posted in the first game was 1 pass defensed.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #13
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
He's been doing that to elite pass rushers for two seasons now. He even did that to Suggs the first time they met... If I remember correctly I think the only stat Suggs posted in the first game was 1 pass defensed.
Right, and I guess I was foolish in a way for still questioning him some. I think for my own peace of mind I just needed to see it against a revved up Ravens Defense. I only remember one time TJ got hit and that was after a broken play when Ngata hit him when he threw the ball up for grabs rolling out. I really should give credit to our entire OL, but Brown really stood out to me.
Old 01-16-2012   #14
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think a "Left Tacklet" is some kind of miniature Left Tackle from an offense that Mouse Davis (naturally) has been working on for many years. It involves starting all small skill position players everywhere including on the offensive line. Every down they rotate around and hand a list of who is eligible that down to the ref.

The backfield consists of three QB's and they all three read the defense at the same time. Prior to the snap they tell the center who to snap the ball to using an intricate series of hand gestures with over 500 possible combinations per QB. The center, who has to be incredibly intelligent figures out which QB he is supposed to snap to and makes the calls for the rest of the line. These are actually very simple calls because they're all too small to stop anyone. Every down looks like a screen pass except usually it isn't. The QB's who don't take the snap slip out as check down receivers.

There's more to it than that but you get the idea. That's where Tacklets come from.

It's gonna be the hottest thing in football if he ever figures out
Old 01-16-2012   #15
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Unless there's some prospect there who the Texans absolutely can't miss out on, I think guard is low on our list of priorities.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #16
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 172895 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

I googled "tacklet" and this came up third...
Quote:
Ladies and Gentleman, our frachise Left Tacklet has arrived ...

www.texanstalk.com ... Texans Talk
You +1'd this publicly. Undo
Ladies and Gentleman, our frachise Left Tacklet has arrived! Texans Talk.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #17
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i have spent the last 5 seasons saying we lost the best left tackle the league's seen in decades (charles spencer). i take it back. we've lost the best right tackle the league's seen ... because duane brown has become a dang near perfect left tackle.

i still say we lost a hall of famer before he got to play a full season, but few short of orlando pace could approach the season duane's had pass blocking in a rush linebacker league while still being the best bulldozer for the league's top runningback. oh, and he's not going to the probowl. i bet if suggs, wake, freeney, and other all pro rushers had a bigger vote - well they probably wouldnt vote for D-BO because they dont want to see him again!
Old 01-16-2012   #18
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

How is this guy not the best left tackle in the game this season? Honest question. I don't watch a lot of Joe Thomas or Jake Long... but it's just hard for me to imagine a player have a better season than him.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #19
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 50843 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I think a "Left Tacklet" is some kind of miniature Left Tackle from an offense that Mouse Davis (naturally) has been working on for many years. It involves starting all small skill position players everywhere including on the offensive line. Every down they rotate around and hand a list of who is eligible that down to the ref.

The backfield consists of three QB's and they all three read the defense at the same time. Prior to the snap they tell the center who to snap the ball to using an intricate series of hand gestures with over 500 possible combinations per QB. The center, who has to be incredibly intelligent figures out which QB he is supposed to snap to and makes the calls for the rest of the line. These are actually very simple calls because they're all too small to stop anyone. Every down looks like a screen pass except usually it isn't. The QB's who don't take the snap slip out as check down receivers.

There's more to it than that but you get the idea. That's where Tacklets come from.

It's gonna be the hottest thing in football if he ever figures out
Please don't ever post **** like that again. One of the most tiring posts of my life to read though.
Old 01-16-2012   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
...while still being the best bulldozer for the league's top runningback.
Look at how often Brown is right there to pick up Arian after a 12-15 yard run. You just don't see that around the league generally. Can't remember the game (Cinncy or Atlanta I believe) and Brown was picking Arian up on the right (far) sideline after a 10+ yard gain. Dude hustles like nobody else.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read