Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-15-2012   #21
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 48384 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Bolden/Allen Helmet Plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
without a fair catch signal, the moment the returner (or any member of the returning team) touches the ball he and the ball are fair game regardless of possession. with a fair catch, if the returner fails to catch it cleanly he and the ball are fair game. tackle, strip, pile driver off the top rope - it's all legal.
Yes with out a fair catch I agree you can engage the return man, but rewatch that play and you'll see Jacoby turn around to chase the ball and the coverage guy literally wraps his hands around Jacoby from behind and tackles him. I believe that is some form of holding. You can't tackle anyone on the field unless they have the ball.
Old 01-15-2012   #22
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Rep Power: 48384 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Jacoby tackled with no chance to recover the ball:

Boldin out of bounds:

Old 01-15-2012   #23
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 146868 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Yes with out a fair catch I agree you can engage the return man, but rewatch that play and you'll see Jacoby turn around to chase the ball and the coverage guy literally wraps his hands around Jacoby from behind and tackles him. I believe that is some form of holding. You can't tackle anyone on the field unless they have the ball.
i've written and erased a million ways to explain the situation (too much to drink), but quite simply once the ball is LIVE (meaning neither team has possession), anything short of bringing foreign objects onto the field as weapons is permissible. once jacoby touched the ball it became live.
Old 01-15-2012   #24
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Quote:
Jacoby tackled with no chance to recover the ball:

Boldin out of bounds:

Both of these screen captures look less like tackles and more like well, I won't say what they look like, but you can figure it out!!!!!
Old 01-15-2012   #25
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 146868 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Both of these screen captures look less like tackles and more like well, I won't say what they look like, but you can figure it out!!!!!
i'm not seeing the links. when quoting i can see the format, but am too pc-illiterate to correct it.
Old 01-16-2012   #26
THE RAVENS DEN
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 THE RAVENS DEN is a quality contributor and well respectedTHE RAVENS DEN is a quality contributor and well respectedTHE RAVENS DEN is a quality contributor and well respectedTHE RAVENS DEN is a quality contributor and well respectedTHE RAVENS DEN is a quality contributor and well respectedTHE RAVENS DEN is a quality contributor and well respectedTHE RAVENS DEN is a quality contributor and well respectedTHE RAVENS DEN is a quality contributor and well respectedTHE RAVENS DEN is a quality contributor and well respectedTHE RAVENS DEN is a quality contributor and well respectedTHE RAVENS DEN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
With that said I appreciatte ditching the ticky tack calls. We benefited from some today, like a face mask call that should have gone against Cush. However there are ticky tack and then there are calls that need to be made.

1. The the Allen/Boldin deal, Allen should have been called for Def. Pass Interference, and then Boldin should have been called for unsportsman like conduct.

2. There was a blatant roughing the passer on Yates at one point, maybe the 3rd. The defender saw the ball was released and the defender hit him hard.

3. This is not a defense of Jacoby, but last time I checked you can't tackle a guy that doesnt have the ball. When Jacoby muffed that punt, the defender tackled him from behind, he may have had a remote shot of recovering the punt. Not sure if that would be a block in the back, or holding, but the ball should have been spotted 10 yards from the spot of the foul, maybe we hold them to 3.

Last but not least do the playoffs revert to college rules? Boldin clearly only had one foot in on that reception on the side line in the 1st quarter. Kubiak should have challenged that.

The roughing the passer you think should have been called was Ngata and im sure you can imagine its pretty hard to stop a 350lb DL running at full throttle, they cant stop on a dime,lol. Ngata did let of a bit, trust me, Yates would have been hurt if he didn't

And for the Muffed punt, Jacoby never called for a fair catch and also he was touching the football before any RAVENS touched him, so that was legal if you ask me. (I know this because ED REED is notorious for doing the exact same thing and he did turn it over once doing it.)

Anyways, man you guys played a hell of a game and it was close. Let me tell you, for a little while i thought you were going to win.

Great Game and good luck next yr, as soon as you figure out the QB sit. you guys will be a complete TEAM. Me personally i think Matt Schaub is your guy, i think he is in the upper echelon when it comes to QB. To me he is a just a tiny notch from Elite. imo.

The RAVENS are going to have their hands full next week but i must say, imo it really , really helped us playing you guys with you top defense. Hopefully Flacco will have a field day playing their D after playing yours. The one thing that makes me nervous is our FREAKING WRers dropping gimme passes, its been going on all yr. No one realizes it outside of Maryland , they just think Flacco is a bad QB, which is a complete Joke. Just watch him play. Of course you Rushing Defense didnt help his case Sacking him 5 or 6 times. Thumbs up for you guys, Also you O line were playing lights out, we couldn't get to Yates to save our Lives. He can move too, i might add.

Anyways, Good luck guys. And i know exactly how you guys are feeling right now, Us RAVENS fans know this all too well and as you can see or should i say feel. Its alot harder losing in the play offs than in the regular season, one reason is simply because you are so close to the BIG GAME.
THE RAVENS DEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #27
Scooter
Funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE RAVENS DEN View Post
Anyways, man you guys played a hell of a game and it was close. Let me tell you, for a little while i thought you were going to win.

Great Game and good luck next yr, as soon as you figure out the QB sit. you guys will be a complete TEAM. Me personally i think Matt Schaub is your guy, i think he is in the upper echelon when it comes to QB. To me he is a just a tiny notch from Elite. imo.

The RAVENS are going to have their hands full next week but i must say, imo it really , really helped us playing you guys with you top defense. Hopefully Flacco will have a field day playing their D after playing yours. The one thing that makes me nervous is our FREAKING WRers dropping gimme passes, its been going on all yr. No one realizes it outside of Maryland , they just think Flacco is a bad QB, which is a complete Joke. Just watch him play. Of course you Rushing Defense didnt help his case Sacking him 5 or 6 times. Thumbs up for you guys, Also you O line were playing lights out, we couldn't get to Yates to save our Lives. He can move too, i might add.

Anyways, Good luck guys. And i know exactly how you guys are feeling right now, Us RAVENS fans know this all too well and as you can see or should i say feel. Its alot harder losing in the play offs than in the regular season, one reason is simply because you are so close to the BIG GAME.
thanks for the reminder, i need to locate and rep the ravens fans that posted here this week. yall have been great and objective fans ... complimentary and thick skinned. good luck from here on out, i'm pulling for the ravens to win it all.

Last edited by Scooter; 01-16-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-16-2012   #28
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Refs called a good game, but they obviously didn't do everything they could to help us win....so fire them all.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #29
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I forgot the helmet to helmet on Walter. I think that a helmet to helmet should only be called when the defender leads with the head rather than inadvertant contact, but hey call or don't call it, be consistent all year, thats all I want.
They're not allowed to lead with the head, shoulder or any part of the arms in relation to head shots. I honestly think it was probably just because Walter was already on his way down. It surprised me because Pollard has sort of a reputation for getting out of control, but again, I'm good with that particular flag staying put. I sure wouldn't want to see it against the Texans. That was just a good, physical game.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #30
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

For me, it was when Ray Lewis felt the need to take a punch at Owen Daniels head when he caught a very nice 3rd down ball.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #31
Kthx
All Pro

Section: Bar Table
Rep Power: 8622 Kthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respected

In all honestly this was easily one of the best reffed games of the season or that I have seen in several seasons. Its really easy after a loss to go back and say that certain plays should have been called, but I would rather take a step back and just be glad there wasn't 30 penalties called during the game. It was nice to see two teams playing some real old school break neck football without too many outside distractions.
Kthx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #32
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthx View Post
In all honestly this was easily one of the best reffed games of the season or that I have seen in several seasons. Its really easy after a loss to go back and say that certain plays should have been called, but I would rather take a step back and just be glad there wasn't 30 penalties called during the game. It was nice to see two teams playing some real old school break neck football without too many outside distractions.
Agreed. It's nice when the refs let the players play.

I saw some squawking about a Lewis hit to the helmet, but didn't notice it during the game.

Otherwise, I thought it was an excellently called game. And that goes for the other games for the weekend, aside from the NYG v GB game, which was a putrid excuse for officiating (which has become par for the course for Leavy and co.)
Old 01-16-2012   #33
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_ya_blue View Post
Yeah, and there's no excuse on the officials being out of position. He was right there and looking directlly at it. He just didn't throw it...but he should've.
My friend (who reffed in high school for a while) said that the flag shouldld have been thrown but he can't blame the ref because he was focused on spotting the ball and missed the altercation because of it.

Also, on the 3rd down play that gave us our last drive, our defenders literally tackled 2 different Ravens players. We got away with that one, so I am calling it a wash.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read