Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-15-2012   #1
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 20599 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Bolden/Allen Helmet Plant

Can't believe this wasn't called. And I really can't believe the writer thought it was OK not to throw a flag because it's the "playoffs"

Linkage

Quote:
The Baltimore Ravens weren't flagged for a single penalty in their 20-13 divisional playoff victory over the Houston Texans. It wasn't for lack of trying.

Wide receiver Anquan Boldin spent much of the fourth quarter tussling with Texans' cornerback Jason Allen, particularly on the play below, in which Allen holds Boldin, Boldin holds him back and the two fall to the turf still engaged.

This specific play concluded with Boldin giving Allen a little of the ol' Ndamukong.

Dan Dierdorf expressed surprise that the officials didn't throw a flag on either the holds or the end game, but I'm pleased they didn't. The play was dirty, a little ugly and wouldn't be tolerated on a game-to-game basis in the regular season.

This is the playoffs, though. The normal rules don't apply. Don't decide the game with whistles, let players decide the game themselves. And if that involves a little extracurriculars after the play is over, so be it.

Baltimore will play the New England Patriots next Sunday in the AFC championship game.
Old 01-15-2012   #2
Luv_ya_blue
1%er

Rep Power: 21296 Luv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Bolden/Allen Helmet Plant

Yeah, and there's no excuse on the officials being out of position. He was right there and looking directlly at it. He just didn't throw it...but he should've.

Special Thanks to False Start for the awesome sig! U Rock!
Luv_ya_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #3
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54251 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Cool story bro.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #4
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Meh.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #5
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

They didn't call anything today.

There must have been a total of 4 or 5 penalties.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #6
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 89551 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i saw it, it could've been a flag, but i'm pretty "meh" ... not something you tack on 15 yards for in the playoffs IMO. let em play.
Old 01-15-2012   #7
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81420 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

We always complain about officials being ticky-tack and taking control of a game and then these officials go out and let the teams play and we find something to complain about.

I thought they did a fantastic job today. They let a lot of 'football' stuff go, as they should.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-15-2012   #8
TheEastwood
Veteran

Rep Power: 935 TheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respected

These were by far the best refs that we've had all season. A lot of ticky tack bull**** penalties that are normally called weren't. The refs truely let two great defenses play. Contrast these refs with the ones in the ny/gb game where they called roughing the passer for a completely clean hit. Ill take the refs that keep the yellow in their pocket every time
TheEastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #9
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Great game,by the refs. I wish they called a penalty there but Allen committed the penalty on Bolden first. I think the ref just let it go after Allen got punked in return.
Old 01-15-2012   #10
darnbni99a
Veteran

Rep Power: 1441 darnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
They didn't call anything today.

There must have been a total of 4 or 5 penalties.
i believe we had 3
darnbni99a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #11
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

For me, I saw 3 penalties that were not called that I'd like called, this one not included. 1 seemed to be a horse collar, I don't remember on who, but come on now, that is dangerous, as is the other where one Raven defender pulled Arian down by grabbing the back of his helmet. Not sure how to describe it, but you may know what play I'm talking about it. The bar I was at was up in arms about it.

The last play, was a blatant hold during a crucial 3rd down play. The O-lineman was basically hugging I think it was Watt. I'd have to watch again.

Other than that, the game was well called.
Old 01-15-2012   #12
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 20599 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
For me, I saw 3 penalties that were not called that I'd like called, this one not included. 1 seemed to be a horse collar, I don't remember on who, but come on now, that is dangerous, as is the other where one Raven defender pulled Arian down by grabbing the back of his helmet. Not sure how to describe it, but you may know what play I'm talking about it. The bar I was at was up in arms about it.

The last play, was a blatant hold during a crucial 3rd down play. The O-lineman was basically hugging I think it was Watt. I'd have to watch again.

I saw that, too. It was on the 1st drive.
Old 01-15-2012   #13
Luv_ya_blue
1%er

Rep Power: 21296 Luv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy View Post
I saw that, too. It was on the 1st drive.
It was on Foster...believe it was Ed Reed. Drove him out of bounds and brought him down--while trying to hold him up--by his jersey opening. It's a textbook horsecollar; but my suspicion is that it wasn't called because he was trying to hold him up out of bounds. Meaning that they were taking the full play into consideration.

Most horsecollars won't be called by just the jersey opening--even though that's part of the rule. Most of them are called when they grasp the shoulder pads.

Funny thing about that particular tackle was, he also had him hooked on the FRONT of the jersey opening too.

Don't have nearly as big a problem with that no-call than pushing himself up off Allen's helmet.

Special Thanks to False Start for the awesome sig! U Rock!
Luv_ya_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #14
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought the officiating was awesome. However, with the way they've suspended, fined and now trotted out Ndamukong Suh to make appearances on a pregame to apologize for his similar mishap I'm pretty sure Boldin has at least a fine coming. I didn't see exactly what tweaked his melon but the tangle up with Allen seemed like two guys going after and just getting tangled up. Boldin's act was pretty uncalled for and he's lucky flags weren't thrown. I'm good with it though. I'd be damn excited if EVERY game was officiated like that. I think it was Pollard tackling Walter, really went high and caught a good bit of 83's helmet and no flag was thrown. I was surprised but really, that's how EVERY game should be called. There weren't even a lot of hurt feelings, players looking for calls and such. Flacco did a couple times but that was as solid of a reffing crew as I've seen all year.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #15
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

I admit I'm very critical of the officials, although I also admit its a very difficult job.

With that said I appreciatte ditching the ticky tack calls. We benefited from some today, like a face mask call that should have gone against Cush. However there are ticky tack and then there are calls that need to be made.

1. The the Allen/Boldin deal, Allen should have been called for Def. Pass Interference, and then Boldin should have been called for unsportsman like conduct.

2. There was a blatant roughing the passer on Yates at one point, maybe the 3rd. The defender saw the ball was released and the defender hit him hard.

3. This is not a defense of Jacoby, but last time I checked you can't tackle a guy that doesnt have the ball. When Jacoby muffed that punt, the defender tackled him from behind, he may have had a remote shot of recovering the punt. Not sure if that would be a block in the back, or holding, but the ball should have been spotted 10 yards from the spot of the foul, maybe we hold them to 3.

Last but not least do the playoffs revert to college rules? Boldin clearly only had one foot in on that reception on the side line in the 1st quarter. Kubiak should have challenged that.

Regardless of all that crap I can't wait until next year!!! It sucks to lose but honestly minus the score (which is all that matters) the Texans whipped up on the Ravens. If #8 is in we probably win hands down. If TJ stops throwing to Dre in double and triple coverage we probably win.

This team is really turning in to something special talent wise. With one more draft, and if we can sign Foster back next year should be awesome!!!! (Also Schaub will be a bit of an X Factor)

I'm upset we lost, and I have to work with a couple of Ravens Fans that don't represent thier team very well so this week should suck, but we were playing with house money once Schaub went down.

Congrats to the Ravens, but I would be concerned if I were them. They have a great defense, but this game isn't really reflected in the final score.

Every year I think that "wow this is our year", but anything less than a SB appearence next year will be a dissappointment.

P.S. I forgot the blatant hold on that 3rd down mentioned before.
Old 01-15-2012   #16
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I thought the officiating was awesome. However, with the way they've suspended, fined and now trotted out Ndamukong Suh to make appearances on a pregame to apologize for his similar mishap I'm pretty sure Boldin has at least a fine coming. I didn't see exactly what tweaked his melon but the tangle up with Allen seemed like two guys going after and just getting tangled up. Boldin's act was pretty uncalled for and he's lucky flags weren't thrown. I'm good with it though. I'd be damn excited if EVERY game was officiated like that. I think it was Pollard tackling Walter, really went high and caught a good bit of 83's helmet and no flag was thrown. I was surprised but really, that's how EVERY game should be called. There weren't even a lot of hurt feelings, players looking for calls and such. Flacco did a couple times but that was as solid of a reffing crew as I've seen all year.
I forgot the helmet to helmet on Walter. I think that a helmet to helmet should only be called when the defender leads with the head rather than inadvertant contact, but hey call or don't call it, be consistent all year, thats all I want.
Old 01-15-2012   #17
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 89551 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
3. This is not a defense of Jacoby, but last time I checked you can't tackle a guy that doesnt have the ball. When Jacoby muffed that punt, the defender tackled him from behind, he may have had a remote shot of recovering the punt. Not sure if that would be a block in the back, or holding, but the ball should have been spotted 10 yards from the spot of the foul, maybe we hold them to 3.
without a fair catch signal, the moment the returner (or any member of the returning team) touches the ball he and the ball are fair game regardless of possession. with a fair catch, if the returner fails to catch it cleanly he and the ball are fair game. tackle, strip, pile driver off the top rope - it's all legal.
Old 01-15-2012   #18
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy View Post
Can't believe this wasn't called. And I really can't believe the writer thought it was OK not to throw a flag because it's the "playoffs"

Linkage
This is the 1st game that I've watched in 43 yrs that where a team didn't receive a pentalty during the entire game.

Just saying
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #19
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
I admit I'm very critical of the officials, although I also admit its a very difficult job.

With that said I appreciatte ditching the ticky tack calls. We benefited from some today, like a face mask call that should have gone against Cush. However there are ticky tack and then there are calls that need to be made.

1. The the Allen/Boldin deal, Allen should have been called for Def. Pass Interference, and then Boldin should have been called for unsportsman like conduct.

2. There was a blatant roughing the passer on Yates at one point, maybe the 3rd. The defender saw the ball was released and the defender hit him hard.

Last but not least do the playoffs revert to college rules? Boldin clearly only had one foot in on that reception on the side line in the 1st quarter. Kubiak should have challenged that.

Regardless of all that crap I can't wait until next year!!! It sucks to lose but honestly minus the score (which is all that matters) the Texans whipped up on the Ravens. If #8 is in we probably win hands down. If TJ stops throwing to Dre in double and triple coverage we probably win.

This team is really turning in to something special talent wise. With one more draft, and if we can sign Foster back next year should be awesome!!!! (Also Schaub will be a bit of an X Factor)

I'm upset we lost, and I have to work with a couple of Ravens Fans that don't represent thier team very well so this week should suck, but we were playing with house money once Schaub went down.

Congrats to the Ravens, but I would be concerned if I were them. They have a great defense, but this game isn't really reflected in the final score.

Every year I think that "wow this is our year", but anything less than a SB appearence next year will be a dissappointment.

P.S. I forgot the blatant hold on that 3rd down mentioned before.
Boldin had a foot and his left hand down. That was a clean TD.
Old 01-15-2012   #20
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
Boldin had a foot and his left hand down. That was a clean TD.
This was around mid field for a big gain, not on a TD. The TD was legit.

Boldin came down with one foot then a hand, and then his other foot was clearly out of bounds. It was a 15 or 20 yard gain.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read