Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-15-2012   #21
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1158 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What would have made the difference today?

Matt Schaub, Mario Williams and Brett Hartman would have helped. I too want so bad to want Jacoby to play better ball but it's time to admit that he is a track guy trying to play football. It is obvious that he fears contact. One good thing to come out of this is that we will get more prime time games next season.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #22
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
i suppose the gunner muffed the punt twice too
Do you have a reading comprehension problem?

I'm not talking about how those guys did as gunners, I'm talking about how they did covering the gunners... they failed. They probably caused the miffs.
Old 01-15-2012   #23
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I cannot understand how we did not get ONE pass to either of our clutch TEs today. Did I miss one? I didn't see a single pass even THROWN to a TE.

What the hell??? Seriously, guys? All season long, this team has been about using the run game and setting up those backside screens and crossing patterns or even fly patterns to the TEs...not a drop of football thrown to the TEs today.

I can only assume OD's hand was hurt worse than expected. But what about Dreessen who has been super-clutch for us (remember his huge catch vs. Jags that actually ended up being the TD that eventually gave us the win?).

James Casey doesn't count, IMO. He's an h-back or WR for the most part. I'm talking about WHERE WAS THE STRATEGY TO USE OUR TEs???

It was absent. Gone. POOF! I don't know if it meant the Ravens were somehow shutting them down, nullifying their impact on the game today, but Geez Almighty how can any defense hold down OD and Dreessen all game long and we can't squeak at least one 10 or 15 or 20 yarder to them one single time today?

Kubiak leaving Jacoby in at PR was odd. His lack of TE usage was odd. Either (A) constructing a "Pass it to AJ every time" strategy, or (B) not getting on Yates' ass about fixating on AJ when he ought to be spreading it around was VERY odd. Outside of Foster and the run blocking, I am at a loss for words about how this offense went so bizarre for so long today.

I think it's clear today, after having watched Wade spend all picks (but the Yates pick) on HIS defense and what he wanted, as well his free agents that he wanted, that this next draft will probably be a heavy dose of offense with Kubiak shopping for better weapons for whomever will be the QB.

I think Kubiak genuinely thinks he has enough in TJ Yates to coach him up for a full camp, a full preseason, and let these two playoff games serve as fuel for Yates' confidence and decision making by Yates in the future (what TO do and what NOT to do, for example)...that Kubiak can just go bananas on draft day and find weapons for Yates to use. Arian Foster and Andre Johnson, IMO, and the o-line too, deserve to be given a true talent at WR2...the type of WR who can even become a WR1 some day if we choose boldly, and correctly, on draft day. I don't think you can keep this offense rev'd up in the future, fill those guys with confidence to play their guts out in 2012, if you don't get them some help at WR. Not bagging on Walter, but he is about to become David Anderson very soon. Like "2012" soon. In fact, it's here and knocking on our door. This team cannot have AJ as it's only big play WR. Period. And God love OD's soul, but he is getting a new injury every year. As is AJ. We're thin at receiving threats. THIN. We're OK, we're hanging in there. But it's brittle, guys.
Old 01-15-2012   #24
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I cannot understand how we did not get ONE pass to either of our clutch TEs today. Did I miss one? I didn't see a single pass even THROWN to a TE.

What the hell??? Seriously, guys? All season long, this team has been about using the run game and setting up those backside screens and crossing patterns or even fly patterns to the TEs...not a drop of football thrown to the TEs today.

I can only assume OD's hand was hurt worse than expected. But what about Dreessen who has been super-clutch for us (remember his huge catch vs. Jags that actually ended up being the TD that eventually gave us the win?).

James Casey doesn't count, IMO. He's an h-back or WR for the most part. I'm talking about WHERE WAS THE STRATEGY TO USE OUR TEs???

It was absent. Gone. POOF! I don't know if it meant the Ravens were somehow shutting them down, nullifying their impact on the game today, but Geez Almighty how can any defense hold down OD and Dreessen all game long and we can't squeak at least one 10 or 15 or 20 yarder to them one single time today?

Kubiak leaving Jacoby in at PR was odd. His lack of TE usage was odd. Either (A) constructing a "Pass it to AJ every time" strategy, or (B) not getting on Yates' ass about fixating on AJ when he ought to be spreading it around was VERY odd. Outside of Foster and the run blocking, I am at a loss for words about how this offense went so bizarre for so long today.

I think it's clear today, after having watched Wade spend all picks (but the Yates pick) on HIS defense and what he wanted, as well his free agents that he wanted, that this next draft will probably be a heavy dose of offense with Kubiak shopping for better weapons for whomever will be the QB.

I think Kubiak genuinely thinks he has enough in TJ Yates to coach him up for a full camp, a full preseason, and let these two playoff games serve as fuel for Yates' confidence and decision making by Yates in the future (what TO do and what NOT to do, for example)...that Kubiak can just go bananas on draft day and find weapons for Yates to use. Arian Foster and Andre Johnson, IMO, and the o-line too, deserve to be given a true talent at WR2...the type of WR who can even become a WR1 some day if we choose boldly, and correctly, on draft day. I don't think you can keep this offense rev'd up in the future, fill those guys with confidence to play their guts out in 2012, if you don't get them some help at WR. Not bagging on Walter, but he is about to become David Anderson very soon. Like "2012" soon. In fact, it's here and knocking on our door. This team cannot have AJ as it's only big play WR. Period. And God love OD's soul, but he is getting a new injury every year. As is AJ. We're thin at receiving threats. THIN. We're OK, we're hanging in there. But it's brittle, guys.
OD 2 for 26.
Did I miss the part where Schaub isn't our starter next year?
Old 01-15-2012   #25
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
What would have made the difference today?

Kubiak. Here's my thing. I wanted to see this team in the AFC Championship game before Kubiak would get an extension on his contract. My thinking, is that it would take an excellent job by the head coach to get us there.

This team has got talent, you know that. The reason we lost this game today, imo, is because Kubiak expected too much from a 5th round rookie.

I understand, that he was thrown into the fire & I don't believe Jake Delhomme would have done as well.

I thought we lost the last three games of the year to work on "our game" running the ball, regardless what the other team's defense does, & getting good smart play from the QB.

Look at the numbers from the last three games.... Tj Yates has QB ratings over 100, & if you saw what we did to the Bengals & Ravens in the play-offs, you can see we got the run thing down.

I also thought we were going to need a big game from Tj Yates to beat the Ravens so I expected to see more throws from Tj, I expected to see him take more chances. So I did not have a problem with what I saw in the first half.

Jacoby Jones... seriously I think there was a lot more to this game than 1 bad play by Jj....

At the half, I think we got all the jitters & what not settled... we were down by 4 points, not a bad game from a young team.

But, at that time I'm thinking we've got the Raven's number. Put the ball in Arian's hands, get smart play out of the QB position, & let the defense do what they do.

That's why we lost the game. Kubiak needed to have a one on one with Tj, settle him down & get back to that boring football we don't like to watch but wins football game.

We lost the first half, 17-13

We lost the second half 3-0

That's not on Jacoby. That's not on Neil Rackers. That's not on Tj Yates.

Forcing the ball in the first half, I can understand. But in the second? Like I said, I understand coming into the game thinking Tj has to take more chances. But at half time it was obvious that it wasn't necessary.... That's where Kubiak should have stepped in & told Tj to go back to the safe play that got us this far, convert 3rd downs, protect the ball, & score.

That's on Kubiak.
TK, we beat these guys today.

14 easy points off 2 turnovers.

Change those 2 plays and we win.
Old 01-15-2012   #26
darnbni99a
Veteran

Rep Power: 1442 darnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respected

dam this loss sucks monkey balls......Dam u Japhoney Jones!!! dam u!!!!
darnbni99a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #27
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
TK, we beat these guys today.

14 easy points off 2 turnovers.

Change those 2 plays and we win.
The scoreboard says differently. Stats.... including the turnovers.. say we should have beat them. But, like I said the HC screwed the pooch.

We needed smart play from the QB, we didn't get it. He continued to force the ball to Andre, he didn't use his legs to move the chains.

Rookie & all that..... yeah, but with the coverage we saw Andre getting, check it down, find your TEs..... find Foster.... throw it away if the situation allows.

I'm not hating on Kubiak, I know he's coming back next year, but this is what he needs to improve on... real game management stuff, beyond play-calling.
Old 01-15-2012   #28
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The scoreboard says differently. Stats.... including the turnovers.. say we should have beat them. But, like I said the HC screwed the pooch.

We needed smart play from the QB, we didn't get it. He continued to force the ball to Andre, he didn't use his legs to move the chains.

Rookie & all that..... yeah, but with the coverage we saw Andre getting, check it down, find your TEs..... find Foster.... throw it away if the situation allows.

I'm not hating on Kubiak, I know he's coming back next year, but this is what he needs to improve on... real game management stuff, beyond play-calling.
Where are you getting this? Kubiak didn't call a bad game or have any game management issues today. I would say that the Ravens took away our TE's and forced Yates to try and win the passing game using our wideout. I would say wideouts, but everyone knows we only have 1 true wideout.
Old 01-15-2012   #29
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm not arguing, that's my beef about Kubiak too.

I just think we outplayed them most of the day and held them to 6 points except for scores off 2 boneheaded plays.
Old 01-15-2012   #30
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 48384 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Throwing the ball away instead of throwing in to #80's direct around 3 defenders.

Oh and getting #12 a brain transplant.
Old 01-15-2012   #31
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 30608 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Matt Scaub.
Old 01-15-2012   #32
_Dre
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 _Dre is a quality contributor and well respected_Dre is a quality contributor and well respected_Dre is a quality contributor and well respected_Dre is a quality contributor and well respected_Dre is a quality contributor and well respected_Dre is a quality contributor and well respected_Dre is a quality contributor and well respected_Dre is a quality contributor and well respected_Dre is a quality contributor and well respected_Dre is a quality contributor and well respected_Dre is a quality contributor and well respected

The missed FG was huge. Missing the kick put more pressure on Yates to score a TD on the last 2 drives.

Jacoby on the other hand..
Game was going our way, 3 and outed the Ravens, momentum built up..whoop 3-7 Ravens. Game changer.
_Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #33
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43787 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Throw Jason Allen, Sherrick McMannis, & Jason Allen in there. On punt returns, those are the guys that cover the gunners & keep them off the punt returner. If they don't do their job, the returner has no chance.

Jacoby never had a chance.

The Gunners were free on every punt.
I notice we only double one, sometimes neither, gunner. I never understood that, because the gunners are always blowing up any return possibility.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #34
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 18049 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

There are several things that could of made the difference, but it ultimately comes down to the fact that you need to score points to win games and our offense couldn't get it done - more specifically the passing games. Ed Reed definitely deserves the game ball.
Old 01-15-2012   #35
record
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 record is a quality contributor and well respectedrecord is a quality contributor and well respectedrecord is a quality contributor and well respectedrecord is a quality contributor and well respectedrecord is a quality contributor and well respectedrecord is a quality contributor and well respectedrecord is a quality contributor and well respectedrecord is a quality contributor and well respectedrecord is a quality contributor and well respectedrecord is a quality contributor and well respectedrecord is a quality contributor and well respected

In order of importance:

- playing #8 instead of #13 as almost everything that happened bad offensively today was due to incorrect decisions by the QB
- #12 not being a bone head
- Recovering at least one or more of the three fumbles by the Ravens
- #25 looking back to the ball
- making the FG
- better play/clock management on the last drive
- The game being played at Reliant
record is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #36
YouGotNgata92
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 YouGotNgata92 YouGotNgata92 YouGotNgata92 YouGotNgata92 YouGotNgata92 YouGotNgata92 YouGotNgata92 YouGotNgata92 YouGotNgata92 YouGotNgata92 YouGotNgata92

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post

Yates looked like what he is today. I'm butthurt about the loss, but dammit, we made a game out of it and had our chances. We lost the game, Baltimore didn't win it.
Haha Lardarius Webb didn't have anything to do with it either.
YouGotNgata92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #37
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 87188 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Do you have a reading comprehension problem?

I'm not talking about how those guys did as gunners, I'm talking about how they did covering the gunners... they failed. They probably caused the miffs.
LOL this is the reference I talked about and you made it again.....don't blame the gunners for JJ being an idiot, he should have never been near that ball after it hit the ground.....I get youre mad but you your placing the blame on the wrong people
Old 01-16-2012   #38
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think some stick um would have made the game closer .

I think Schaub would have been able to overcome The Bobble and not thrown three ints .

I think the Texans need more weapons on offense . They can be TEs or WRs but they need more weapons . When Cruz got hot for the Giants , teams schemed to stop him and Nicks blistered their butt . Same goes for the Pats , Saints , Pack , and so on .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #39
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

There's your answer. Kubiak has been telling Yates to take off and run for at least a month. I seem to recall Kubiak saying as much in one of the pressers. So the decision not to run for extra yards is on Yates. So is his fixation on AJ.

Yates said himself, in yesterday's post-game presser, that he underestimated Ed Reed.
Quote:
(on the impact of S Ed Reed) “I knew we were facing one of the best defenses around, and I learned pretty quickly that just because I read the right coverage, it may not work. Ed Reed makes up for so much. He is all over the place. You may be making the right read, but Ed Reed will make a play anyway. He taught a lesson today.”
I rewatched the game last night. The view from behind the offense was telling. Yates NEVER went through progressions. When he thought he had one-on-one coverage he never bothered to look in a different direction to affect the safeties. He locked in on AJ - and in one case KW - and let it fly. Ed Reed made him pay. You might say that we were lucky Yates only had 3 picks.

simply put: Reed schooled the rookie.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #40
KA4Texan
C27A

Rep Power: 5488 KA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO if TJ isn't forced to play catch up after Jacoby hands what momentum and lead we gained over to Balt. he doesn't make at least one of those stupid mistakes.

I blame his fixation on knowing SOMETHING needs to happen to catch up and lets face it, if you need something to happen on offense AJ is usually gonna be the guy to make it happen, being a rookie also played into his locking on (obviously).

I think we keep that momentum, TJ stays calm and isn't in "make it happen now" mode, especially with our D to protect anything the O puts up there we would have left planning for NE.

I don't like it to fall on one man, but in this case I got to blame the person who started the forest fire and not the trees for being flammable.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read