Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-15-2012   #21
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2012 Wish List.

One more thing I would consider if I'm Rick Smith would be a trade for someone like Shane Lechler. Not sure how Oakland would feel about it but I would easily give up a 3rd rounder, probably a 2nd for him. Sounds crazy but with his leg backing up this defense I think we shave off 2-3 points per game. I know Hartman looked promising but even at his best he can't match Lechler and who knows after that injury.

From Oakland's perspective it makes sense because they have been giving away their draft picks for the last few years and really don't have a promising avenue to upgrade their team this offseason outside of free agency.
Old 01-15-2012   #22
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

A legit #2 wide receiver and #2 corner. I'd rather sign a corner in free agency, someone who's established. I think it's easier for a wide receiver to get drafted and make an impact that it is for a cornerback.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #23
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 187579 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
I'd like to draft a WR and sign Early Doucet if possible. You can forget about one of the big gun WRs.
I'm with you on this. We have enough salary cap issues as it is.
I would pick Harry Douglas or maybe a Steve Smith (phi) to add to our WR corps.

You know what I'd REEEEALLY like... is a Vernon Davis/Rob Gronkowski/Aaron Hernandez beast-type TE to challenge Daniels and Dreessen for their spots. Any of them in the upcoming draft?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #24
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17175 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree that a WR is needed. Andre will be in his 10th year and is still a beast, but it would be nice to have a compliment to him.

What's the situation with Brandon Harris? Can he be the CB that we need opposite JoJo? He never seems to be active and I'm not sure if it's because he isn't getting it or if they didn't want to throw a rookie CB at the Lions again.

O-Line depth is always needed.

Get Foster a long term contract.

Get Wade Phillips a pay raise.

I could use a double beer holder on my seat.
Old 01-15-2012   #25
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44358 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

You know what I'd REEEEALLY like... is a Vernon Davis/Rob Gronkowski/Aaron Hernandez beast-type TE to challenge Daniels and Dreessen for their spots. Any of them in the upcoming draft?
I like OD and Dressen. We get a couple of receivers who can run routes you will find our TE's getting more open.

NE's TE's have Branch and Welker, and oh yeah that other guy Brady.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #26
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54251 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Dunno, not a college football fan at all.

I think we're fine at TE.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #27
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 187579 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I like OD and Dressen. We get a couple of receivers who can run routes you will find our TE's getting more open.

NE's TE's have Branch and Welker, and oh yeah that other guy Brady.
I like them too. But apparently they can't get open unless the play action suckers the defense. Gronk, Davis, and Hernandez can catch in traffic and, more importantly, run away from people. Neither OD nor Dreessen have that kind of speed.

And maybe Brady makes Gronk and Hernandez appear better than they really are but Vernon Davis is making Alex Smith look like a legit QB.

I'd swap him for O.D. straight up in a NY minute.

Tell me... in the biggest game of his Texans career, O.D. has TWO catches. Where WAS HE?
Now maybe that's on the rook; he did seem to be fixated on A.J. But still.... TWO catches??
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-15-2012   #28
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 13034 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

I would take Jerome Simpson to replace Jacoby's role as Deep Threat/Speed Guy. Then Draft Dwight Jones with our first pick to groom behind AJ.

Sign Foster first, work out a deal with Mario, Use the leftover FA money on Myers.

Draft a solid interior lineman in Rounds 2 or 3 to be depth for our Oline.

Draft 1 more Monster to play DE behind Watt and Smith until Smith retires. (maybe a goal for next offseason)

Sign a dedicated Kick and Punt Returner

The rest is BPA with what we've got available
Old 01-15-2012   #29
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44358 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I like them too. But apparently they can't get open unless the play action suckers the defense. Gronk, Davis, and Hernandez can catch in traffic and, more importantly, run away from people. Neither OD nor Dreessen have that kind of speed.

And maybe Brady makes Gronk and Hernandez appear better than they really are but Vernon Davis is making Alex Smith look like a legit QB.

I'd swap him for O.D. straight up in a NY minute.

Tell me... in the biggest game of his Texans career, O.D. has TWO catches. Where WAS HE?
Now maybe that's on the rook; he did seem to be fixated on A.J. But still.... TWO catches??
TJ looked like the rookie he is. He is what we thought he was.

It's hard to say what happened with OD today cus it didn't appear he was targeted.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #30
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81420 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

My reactions to this thread so far....

1) Why do we need a 'giant' NT? Had the 4th ranked rush defense in the league this year and just held Ray Rice 60 yds on 21 carries in a road playoff game. So tired of this subject.

2) How can we trade Mario if he's a FA? Maybe you do a franchise and trade, but I don't see why we trade him if we sign him. You either sign him or he walks. There is no in between.

Now, my thoughts on the offseason....

1) Pay Foster. He's earned it.

2) Pay Mario if you can. If the finances don't work you have to let him go. We can work with Barwin and Reed although ideally we keep Mario.

3) Try to pay Myers. Not a long term deal, but 3 years should do fine.

4) Cut Jacoby Jones. It's time, he's done nothing his entire career and it's been obvious to everyone but Gary Kubiak. Give up on the project and move on.

5) Draft a WR in the first 2 rounds and get a return man out of this draft. We have seen how weak the WR position is at this point after Andre and we need a return guy if cutting Jones. We need a guy like Alshon Jeffrey in the 1st and T.Y. Hilton in the 4th. Or take Kendall Wright in the 1st, who can do both.

6) Need an interior lineman early in the draft (2-3). Caldwell was awful this year and we don't really have any backups that I trust. This is a must if we can't re-sign Myers!!!

7) Take a DB in the draft (4-5). We don't know who will return at Safety so we might need to reload there. If not, we should add a CB just because.

8) Stay out of the Free Agency Market!!! This team is solid across the board. All of the weaknesses can be solved with the draft. There is no reason to go out and overpay for someone.

9) Re-sign Dressen and Rackers.

10) Add a D-Lineman in the 4th-5th. There will be a quality player there to add to the rotation.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #31
texanchris
Veteran

Rep Power: 3782 texanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respected

^^^ agree with everything except resigning Rackers. He missed a critical 50 yard field goal with the wind at his back and only made 84.2% of his field goals this year. I would rather draft a kicker in the 5-6th round and use the money saved not resigning Rackers on resigning Foster, Myers, or Williams
texanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #32
TEXANJAK
Texans #1

Rep Power: 126 TEXANJAK is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANJAK is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANJAK is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANJAK is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANJAK is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANJAK is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANJAK is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANJAK is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANJAK is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANJAK is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANJAK is a quality contributor and well respected

#1 Bye Bye Jacoby Jones.

2. Take a wide receiver in the first round.

3. Veteran CB

4. NO QUARTERBACK SNEAKS!!

5. Pay Foster.

6. Move Mario back to old position. Keep Brooks Reed out on the field.
Old 01-15-2012   #33
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 72571 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I would really like to see us take care of our own FA's(my position on MW is well known by now), land a FA WR and draft for depth. We can just about draft BPA, regardless of position. Our only true need is at WR, but I would hate to see us reach for one. Besides, we'll be drafting 27-28. As we saw this season, it's hard to overestimate quality depth. across the board.
Old 01-15-2012   #34
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we could do better at TE though and with OD's recent play you have to wonder if he'll become a cap casualty as we try to lock up Foster and Mario. (not that he's been bad or anything close to it. Just that they could do better I think)

I mean we did draft that Graham guy who was supposed to be just like OD and we draft a TE nearly every year and I doubt Kubiak will be able to restrain himself and will get the go ahead after having so many defense picks last year.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #35
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 13034 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx
Default The first "I want this FA" thread of the offseason

And for me that is

*Drumroll please*

*CLANG!!*

Jerome Simpson WR from Cincinatti Bengals. Y'know, as long as he leaves behind his Pot. Although I doubt he does, but would like him to hold off on it till after his professional career.

Anyway, He's got the speed!!! He's got the hands!!!, He's got the hops!!! He's got that big play ability!!! Signing him will solidify the #2 spot, or at least have him competing with Walter. Either way he is a definite upgrade over JJ, and now that the fan base wants to torch and pitchfork him out of town, I believe he'll get cut. Signing him would give us a WR core consisting of AJ, Simpson, Walter, 2012#1 Draft Pick WR, and 5th guy. I don't know about you but I like that group.

First and foremost he'd have to prove to McNair that he can hold off the Ganja for awhile. Actually, first and foremost he has to pry himself away from Cinci, then hold off the pot, then we'd have to offer him enough money to steal him from other teams. If we go after him first though we might have a chance, as there are other big name WR free agents that should be targeted heavily at the beginning of the offseason.

So, thoughts?
Old 01-15-2012   #36
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 150814 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd take Dwayne Bowe in a second as a FA .

1. the #1 need is WR or weapons in general .

2. Interior OL . That's this teams bread and butter and Smith and Caldwell aren't so hot .

3. CB

4. Upgrading depth all over .
Old 01-15-2012   #37
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 14086 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan
Default Re: The first "I want this FA" thread of the offseason

I'd like to see what the price tag would be for Reggie Wayne, and then draft a young WR in the first couple of rounds to groom.
Old 01-15-2012   #38
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The first "I want this FA" thread of the offseason

From Rotoworld:
Quote:
Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden indicated in his season-ending press conference that impending free agent Jerome Simpson's consistency was an issue in his first year as a starter.

"Jerome had moments of greatness and moments of, 'what is going on?'" said Gruden. "We just need to have a lot more consistent group where Andy (Dalton) knows where everybody is going to be at all times." Simpson made highlight reels with a late-season touchdown flip, but finished seventh in the league in drops (9) while ranking just 30th in targets. There were few receivers less effective than Simpson in 2011. Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer has consistently predicted that Simpson won't be back with the Bengals.
I don't think so. And that's without even considering the weed situation.
Old 01-15-2012   #39
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81420 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanchris View Post
^^^ agree with everything except resigning Rackers. He missed a critical 50 yard field goal with the wind at his back and only made 84.2% of his field goals this year. I would rather draft a kicker in the 5-6th round and use the money saved not resigning Rackers on resigning Foster, Myers, or Williams
I disagree about Rackers. He was 15th in FG percentage this year. You aren't going to draft a rookie K who will do better. It's also a weak year for K in the draft. There's not those 1 or 2 guys who you WANT to draft, despite being specialists.

He has a relatively high salary for a Kicker, but that figure will likely be lower if he re-signs.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #40
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Cut Jacoby Jones while your still in Baltimore, in fact there's no reason for him to even get on the plane home.
2. Draft a WR in the 1st round either Dwight Jones or Mohamed Sanu.
3. Let Mario walk and use the money saved to get another great CB.
4. Get another run stuffing DT in the draft.
5. 2nd round of the draft get a high quality OG
6. All the mid rounds of the draft should be used on depth at ILB, SS, O-line, RB, and P.
7. Lock up Wade Phillips long term.
8. Cut Matt Leinart.

The money saved with Mario walking and cutting Jacoby and Leinart should allow us to have a good FA.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read