Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-21-2012   #141
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hearing they may Franchise Tag Arian...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunTexans View Post
I dont recall Arian saying that, I listened to the interview and heard his agent say that he understood if the Texans were to franchise him, its part of the business and he wouldn't be offended they would adjust accordingly(nice way of saying, if they do tag him we'll have to do what we have to do) but he thinks securing a long term relationship with the organization was what was desired.

it sounded to me like they are trying to be nice about it if they do tag him...but I think there will be a disgruntled running back if they tag him and don't do a deal before the season.
I could see where that could be the perception of the comment. If he was tagged he would get close to 8mil, compared to .5mil he got last year. I read it as he wouldn't hold out, but if another team offered him a big payday wouldn't mind either.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #142
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 103337 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I disagree and I have disagreed ever since he got a full season of starting.

Foster is a beast and the system suits him perfectly...

His pass catching, run blocking and running ability transcends the system. Foster would be a good back in just about any system..
You said it yourself. Foster would be good in any system. He's great in Houston because of the system.

Quote:
I think Arian is better than Portis was...
Did you watch Portis in Denver?

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #143
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

If they do, I wouldn't be surprised unless they didn't try to also extend him at some point before the season. Dude deserves his money, he's acted nothing like Dunta Robinson and the FO knows it as well as we know it as well as Foster and his people know it.

Tag him for extra time but get the deal done.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #144
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I don't know what happens if the team doesn't have a 1st round pick though. If the Raiders lose Michael Bush and try to sign Foster, Forte, McCoy or Rice for some reason (assuming they get RFA tenders), I have no idea what would happen.
I couldn't seem to find anything specific on that after a quick google search and a glance over the CBA, but it does say that

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBA
G) Draft Choice Compensation under this Article shall be due in that League Year's Draft unless the Offer Sheet is received by the Prior Club later than two days before that League Year's Draft, in which case Draft Choice Compensation shall be due in the following League Year's Draft.
Which almost makes it seem to me that you have to have that pick that year unless you wait until two days before the draft. So I guess in your example the Raider's could only try to sign one of them if they were still available 2 days before the draft, as that would allow them to use the next year's pick.

Granted I could be completely wrong.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #145
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

No way do you let Arian Foster get away. NO WAY. It would be a colossal mistake for this franchise to even risk it at all.

We lucked into the guy in the first place, he's not "just a product of the system" as rey has pointed out very nicely, and without him...I think this offense would shrink more than people think it would (for reasons rey listed).

Plus, who the hell cares if we get a 1st rounder for him? You better hit on that draft pick if you go that route, IMO. You have to hit a home run with it AND replace Foster either with that pick or some new UDFA or undiscovered/unpolished "gem" that Kubiak spent roughly 4 or 5 years looking for until he found Foster (and even then, Foster almost picked the Saints over us!).

Our QB situation is flimsy, folks. Schaub is mending, don't know what he'll be like when he TRIES to come back and play again. Yates is Yates, meaning that he's an unproven and still "raw" QB trying to find his stride in this league. Andre Johnson is not the same player he was, and God only knows what his 2012 season will look like with the hammies in the condition they're in. We have a lot of uncertainty on offense, IMO, that is masked by a very good defense...and people are Ok with merely tendering Foster and possibly getting another first rounder if he gets away????? SMH.

I don't get it. I hope McNair is making Foster Priority #1 and Mario Priority #2. Priority #2 is a luxury item, IMO, but Priority #1 is the guy on offense that defenses have to account for on every single play. You can't say that about anybody else except possibly Owen Daniels (who is becoming injured every freaking year it seems. He was ABSENT in the Ravens playoff game, probably due to a broken hand that he was trying to tough out for the sake of the team).

No way in hell do you even allow the CHANCE for Foster to get any offers in a RFA situation. You lock him up, now, and work everybody else's contracts around Foster's contract. Myers? So what. Use your first rounder on the dude from Nebraska and let Myers go if he won't deal nicely with us so that we can get Foster onboard. Same goes for everyone else, including Mario Williams.

Draft and FA can replace the guys who don't understand that as Foster goes, this team's offense goes with him. Your franchise guy on the defense is Wade Phillips, obviously as 2011 showed us (in his draft of players, his coaching of the D, and the way we looked when he was calling plays and when he was gone for two weeks). If the Texans don't see that, and they get cute with Foster, then they deserve the ass kicking that will ensue in 2012. My two cents.

[/overreaction]
Old 02-21-2012   #146
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post
I couldn't seem to find anything specific on that after a quick google search and a glance over the CBA, but it does say that

Which almost makes it seem to me that you have to have that pick that year unless you wait until two days before the draft. So I guess in your example the Raider's could only try to sign one of them if they were still available 2 days before the draft, as that would allow them to use the next year's pick.

Granted I could be completely wrong.
The Raiders traded their 2012 first rounder and a conditional 2nd to the Bengals for Palmer. Had the Raiders made the playoffs (which they came within a hair) and won a playoff game, they would have had to surrender their 1st rounder in 2013 rather than the 2nd rounder.

Who knows if the Raiders will still have that first rounder at the end FA this year!

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #147
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
You said it yourself. Foster would be good in any system. He's great in Houston because of the system.
Ok let me rephrase then...

I think Foster would be Great in any system....????

Quote:
Yes I did and he was not the player that Foster is.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-21-2012   #148
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans must make a choice on Williams before they can decide Foster's future.

It would be hard to see Foster leave, but he should not be franchised, and a first round pick would help heal the wound.

I hate to say it, but it is looking more and more likely that Williams will hit free agency and we will get nothing in return. We will then use that extra money to lock up everyone else, and start working on next years deals.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #149
RunTexans
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
No way do you let Arian Foster get away. NO WAY. It would be a colossal mistake for this franchise to even risk it at all.

We lucked into the guy in the first place, he's not "just a product of the system" as rey has pointed out very nicely, and without him...I think this offense would shrink more than people think it would (for reasons rey listed).

Plus, who the hell cares if we get a 1st rounder for him? You better hit on that draft pick if you go that route, IMO. You have to hit a home run with it AND replace Foster either with that pick or some new UDFA or undiscovered/unpolished "gem" that Kubiak spent roughly 4 or 5 years looking for until he found Foster (and even then, Foster almost picked the Saints over us!).

Our QB situation is flimsy, folks. Schaub is mending, don't know what he'll be like when he TRIES to come back and play again. Yates is Yates, meaning that he's an unproven and still "raw" QB trying to find his stride in this league. Andre Johnson is not the same player he was, and God only knows what his 2012 season will look like with the hammies in the condition they're in. We have a lot of uncertainty on offense, IMO, that is masked by a very good defense...and people are Ok with merely tendering Foster and possibly getting another first rounder if he gets away????? SMH.

I don't get it. I hope McNair is making Foster Priority #1 and Mario Priority #2. Priority #2 is a luxury item, IMO, but Priority #1 is the guy on offense that defenses have to account for on every single play. You can't say that about anybody else except possibly Owen Daniels (who is becoming injured every freaking year it seems. He was ABSENT in the Ravens playoff game, probably due to a broken hand that he was trying to tough out for the sake of the team).

No way in hell do you even allow the CHANCE for Foster to get any offers in a RFA situation. You lock him up, now, and work everybody else's contracts around Foster's contract. Myers? So what. Use your first rounder on the dude from Nebraska and let Myers go if he won't deal nicely with us so that we can get Foster onboard. Same goes for everyone else, including Mario Williams.

Draft and FA can replace the guys who don't understand that as Foster goes, this team's offense goes with him. Your franchise guy on the defense is Wade Phillips, obviously as 2011 showed us (in his draft of players, his coaching of the D, and the way we looked when he was calling plays and when he was gone for two weeks). If the Texans don't see that, and they get cute with Foster, then they deserve the ass kicking that will ensue in 2012. My two cents.

[/overreaction]
never thought of this but it makes sense to me...
RunTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #150
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I did. And he ain't NOTHING like Arian Foster if we're comparing the two in their respective stages of career with Broncos/Texans.

Arian does crazy crap that I don't think I've seen since Walter Payton. The fluid nature of his running style, the TINY but well-timed moves he makes that cause defenders to fall down or trip over themselves, and the length of his stride and how he gains ground quicker than it appears to a defender, it's all stuff that you don't find every year. Heck, it's once-every-10-years type of "stuff" that Arian Foster has.

I don't care for the guy's tweets and his whole karma/zen/philosophical personality he has going on, but he is SPECIAL on the field and that's that. If the Texans get cute on this deal, then we deserve whatever happens...which will likely be Foster going bonkers on some other team and the Texans regressing on offense. Won't THAT be fun to watch every Sunday? And have analysts on TV mocking us for being THAT stoopid to let him get away. It would be a fail on so many levels.

Every player can get hurt. Every player can lose his mojo somehow. But if your guy (Foster) is on your team, and he's performing as consistently as Foster is, and it's a position that you historically have struggled to fill PROPERLY...you don't act like you can go out and find another Foster in 2012's draft or UDFA market. This is the biggest deal the Texans FO should be working on right now, and Mario can play more XBOX and wait for Foster's deal to shake out first and foremost, IMO.

So help me, if we lose Foster and retain Mario, it will be a really bad mistake to have chosen a luxury item over the essential item. IMO.
Old 02-21-2012   #151
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 40560 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

They better do whatever they can to obtain AF. He MAKES OUR RED ZONE OFFENSE. Losing him would be huge to this team. I will be very pissed if they let him walk.
Old 02-21-2012   #152
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90177 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Arian needs to stay. PERIOD.

They guy is the best all round back in the league right now and a class individual. Fits Uncle Bob to a T.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #153
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28100 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

If anybody can guarantee that the first rounder can do this, then for all means go for it:

Until then, I rather stick with Foster.
santo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #154
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 103337 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
as Foster goes, this team's offense goes with him.
[/overreaction]
2008 Total offense 3rd Points 17th
2009 Total offense 4th Points 10th
2010 Total offense 3rd Points 9th
2011 Total offense 13th Points 10th

I'm not seeing the evidence for your argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Ok let me rephrase then...

I think Foster would be Great in any system....????

Yes I did and he was not the player that Foster is.
I completely disagree. He was so good Washington traded the best CB in the NFL for him. Do you see the Jets lining up to hand over Revis?

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #155
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo View Post
If anybody can guarantee that the first rounder can do this, then for all means go for it:

Until then, I rather stick with Foster.
I cant guarantee Foster could do it again.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #156
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunTexans View Post
never thought of this but it makes sense to me...
I think people have gotten lazy when it comes to the analysis of our offense. We've been so consistently "good" for the past four or five years since Schaub took the controls at QB that people have become complacent in regards to what can happen when you lose a game-changing type player.

For years, AJ was that game-changing player. And I think people are so sentimental about AJ...thinking that in no way can Superman lose his powers...that they have failed to realize the old is getting older and the new is here to be that game-changing guy. Foster is the key ingredient for Kubiak now, and anything we get out of AJ is gravy (due to his injuries and age). Add in the uncertainty in the QB position, and it is a recipe for disaster if Foster walks.

God love Mario, but man oh man him walking away does not affect the Texans in the same capacity as it would if Foster hit the bricks.

Foster's deal should be the priority, and everyone else structured around it. Let's not go into 2012 with uncertainty at QB, an aging and oft-injured AJ and OD, Kevin Walter at WR2, and Ben Tate as our only RB threat. Good luck intimidating opposing defenses with THAT lineup every Sunday.

We're a risky move away, on offense, from rendering our progress useless. The defense worked well because the offense could put the load on Foster's shoulders and let him do work. Re-watch the Ravens/Texans playoff game if you don't believe me. Without Foster that day, it would have been a blowout.
Old 02-21-2012   #157
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

[/overreaction]
I agree with the spirit of what you are saying, but at the same time it has to be reasonable. The Texans CANNOT give Foster CJ or AD kind of money. Heavily investing big bucks in a running back almost NEVER works out for the team. I am all for giving Foster a very solid top 5 contract, but not if it hangs a massive albatross around the team's neck.

I agree wholeheartedly with this comment of yours "We have a lot of uncertainty on offense, IMO, that is masked by a very good defense." The Defense is a young, hungry, energetic group. Perhaps we are all going about this wrong. Maybe what we need to do is really focus on the defense and build it up into a monstrous smothering Defense on the order of the 49ers of last year and the Ravens/Steeler teams of the past. Constant pressure, swarming run D, excellent coverage, and precise tackling would be our bread and butter. In that scenario, we would sign Mario, restructure contracts, and probably tag Foster. We could then work out a deal with him later on.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #158
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I completely disagree. He was so good Washington traded the best CB in the NFL for him. Do you see the Jets lining up to hand over Revis?
So your logic is: Because washington did it, it must be a good move
Old 02-21-2012   #159
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:

Well, maybe you should actually think of WHY the stats look the way they do???

Off the top of my head, I'd say that Andre Johnson was the game-changing CONSISTENT player that created nightmares for opposing d-coordinators and defenders....meaning that AJ and Schaub were eating up yards and racking up points.

Foster is in that AJ role now. Period. He creates nightmares for a team trying to game plan against us, and he consumes yards and is the go-to-guy when we need a crucial 3rd down play to extend a drive. The animated GIF image that santo posted is THE definitive example of what I am saying. Arian Foster does things that amaze us and we used to say that about AJ. Old guard, new guard, and all that jazz...

If this is not true, then I should stop watching football and trying to commentate on it in a public forum such as this one. It's patently obvious that AJ is fading and Foster has filled that role now. Ben Tate is the perfect compliment to Foster's style, as well, and it only makes Foster that much more lethal to have a Ben Tate alongside him.
Old 02-21-2012   #160
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Go look at the Red Zone scoring with and without Foster.

He is MR. Redzone.

But more than that, just watch the damn games.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read