Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-21-2012   #121
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hearing they may Franchise Tag Arian...

It's just speculation at this point, but if they can't work out a deal they should tag him. Teams have until March 5th to use the franchise tag. They still have two weeks to try to work out a deal before using the tag on him, so I don't see why they would do it now. Might as well keep working on a deal before potentially pissing him off with a tag.

Here's a list of the franchise tag costs:
Old 02-21-2012   #122
RunTexans
Rookie

none...just what I've heard from a few people that are familiar with a few players...I hear Arian isn't happy about it and apparently his agent was mis quoted in saying that he was ok with a tag...I don't put much stock in it since its probably a game of telephone. But I just wanted to get some thoughts.
RunTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #123
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Why would they franchise him though? It doesn't make sense. Isn't he a RFA? Can't they use the restricted tag on him before they use the franchise tag? I would assume the RFA tender is much less than the franchise tag.

If I was in charge I would just sign him to a long term deal and avoid the circus that will come whether we RFA tender him or franchise him, but I have no inside info on the business side of things and so won't pretend to know what our offers/his demands have been. I think he's a special player though, and the fact that he has played on a contract given to an undrafted free agent as an all pro says a lot about the guy. He deserves a real contract
Old 02-21-2012   #124
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Why would they franchise him though? It doesn't make sense. Isn't he a RFA? Can't they use the restricted tag on him before they use the franchise tag? I would assume the RFA tender is much less than the franchise tag.

If I was in charge I would just sign him to a long term deal and avoid the circus that will come whether we RFA tender him or franchise him, but I have no inside info on the business side of things and so won't pretend to know what our offers/his demands have been. I think he's a special player though, and the fact that he has played on a contract given to an undrafted free agent as an all pro says a lot about the guy. He deserves a real contract
They might be worried that someone would make him an offer that they couldn't/wouldn't match...
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #125
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If they put the RFA 1st round tender on him, he could be given a deal by another team that we can't match. Teams looking for good RBs like the Bengals or Lions may take a stab at signing him. We don't want to expose him to that, as it only makes his price tag go up. Need to work out a long-term deal with him to keep him numbers reasonable and lock him up.
Old 02-21-2012   #126
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
If they put the RFA 1st round tender on him, he could be given a deal by another team that we can't match. Teams looking for good RBs like the Bengals or Lions may take a stab at signing him. We don't want to expose him to that, as it only makes his price tag go up. Need to work out a long-term deal with him to keep him numbers reasonable and lock him up.
Makes me wonder...

Arian or (Trent Richardson + Arian's $ to be spent on another FA)
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #127
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Stan View Post
Makes me wonder...

Arian or (Trent Richardson + Arian's $ to be spent on another FA)
Well, if the Bengals signed Arian under 1st round tender, we would get the 21st pick. I don't think Trent will be there. Now if the Redskins decided Arian was more valuable than the #6 pick, I could see that netting Trent, but they probably won't do that. I would expect Richardson to be gone in the first 10 picks, but I don't see any of those teams going after Arian.
Old 02-21-2012   #128
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's just speculation at this point, but if they can't work out a deal they should tag him. Teams have until March 5th to use the franchise tag. They still have two weeks to try to work out a deal before using the tag on him, so I don't see why they would do it now. Might as well keep working on a deal before potentially pissing him off with a tag.

Here's a list of the franchise tag costs:
It is reassuring to see some of those salaries have fallen. Is this normal? I thought the cap and salaries have no where to go but up.
Old 02-21-2012   #129
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 125380 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

If anyone was willing to give me a 1 for Foster I would take it and run.

This is the same Denver running scheme with the same Denver coaches who made Clinton Portis look like a hall of fame caliber running back.

Foster is good, but it's the system that makes him great.

I wish we could pull off a Portis for Bailey type trade with some clueless GM that doesn't understand that.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #130
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 71412 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
It is reassuring to see some of those salaries have fallen. Is this normal? I thought the cap and salaries have no where to go but up.
I believe it was part of the new CBA, but from here on out they will just rise.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #131
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Would this help them with signing Mario or any other free agents at all with the cap?
Old 02-21-2012   #132
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
Its the way the new franchise tag is calculated. I think it changed from top 5 players to top players over certain number of years
Old 02-21-2012   #133
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Would this help them with signing Mario or any other free agents at all with the cap?
Quote:
Its the way the new franchise tag is calculated. I think it changed from top 5 players to top players over certain number of years
That is rather interesting. I believe the the new CBA changes the Franchise Tag figure from the average of the 5 highest paid players from the previous year to the average of the Highest Paid player in each of the past 5 years.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #134
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Arian has said he is fine with getting the tag, but as many national outlets have pointed out, if the tender is a 1st, and one of the teams at the bottom of the first wants to offer him a nice deal (New England?), then he is gone. I think Rick has to figure out a way to get him signed.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #135
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, if the Bengals signed Arian under 1st round tender, we would get the 21st pick. I don't think Trent will be there. Now if the Redskins decided Arian was more valuable than the #6 pick, I could see that netting Trent, but they probably won't do that. I would expect Richardson to be gone in the first 10 picks, but I don't see any of those teams going after Arian.
I have a bit of a general question. Seeing as the Bengals have two first round picks are you positive we would get the 2nd (21) one in this scenario? The other pick is 17 I believe.
Old 02-21-2012   #136
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
If anyone was willing to give me a 1 for Foster I would take it and run.

Foster is good, but it's the system that makes him great.
I wish we could pull off a Portis for Bailey type trade with some clueless GM that doesn't understand that.
I disagree and I have disagreed ever since he got a full season of starting.

Foster is a beast and the system suits him perfectly...

His pass catching, run blocking and running ability transcends the system. Foster would be a good back in just about any system..

I think Arian is better than Portis was...

That said, if someone wanted to give up a top ten pick or an elite player at premium position for him I'd have to seriously consider it.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #137
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Tender him but do not trade him.
Old 02-21-2012   #138
RunTexans
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Arian has said he is fine with getting the tag, but as many national outlets have pointed out, if the tender is a 1st, and one of the teams at the bottom of the first wants to offer him a nice deal (New England?), then he is gone. I think Rick has to figure out a way to get him signed.
I dont recall Arian saying that, I listened to the interview and heard his agent say that he understood if the Texans were to franchise him, its part of the business and he wouldn't be offended they would adjust accordingly(nice way of saying, if they do tag him we'll have to do what we have to do) but he thinks securing a long term relationship with the organization was what was desired.

it sounded to me like they are trying to be nice about it if they do tag him...but I think there will be a disgruntled running back if they tag him and don't do a deal before the season.
RunTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #139
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
I have a bit of a general question. Seeing as the Bengals have two first round picks are you positive we would get the 2nd (21) one in this scenario? The other pick is 17 I believe.
The way I understand it is that the pick given up must be equal or greater than the pick the team would have been assigned in that round. So in this case, 21 is the spot the Bengals original pick, 17 is one they got in trade. However, if they did not have 21, but had 17, 17 could be given up as compensation for signing a 1st round RFA because 17 is higher than their original pick would have been.

I don't know what happens if the team doesn't have a 1st round pick though. If the Raiders lose Michael Bush and try to sign Foster, Forte, McCoy or Rice for some reason (assuming they get RFA tenders), I have no idea what would happen.
Old 02-21-2012   #140
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

How many run plays have we seen that the defenders blew up the play and left the run play no where to go, Arian reverses field and turns into a big gain? You can't teach that, and that's not the system. (I am not saying the ZBS doesn't suit him because it clearly does, but he won't be limited to being successful in this system only).

Arian is the best RB in the NFL right now, lock him up long term while you can.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read