Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-17-2012   #41
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Re: Pay Foster now.

The hold out from Johnson is the reason he was not as good this year. I think he'll do much better this year.
Old 01-17-2012   #42
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post

Pay Arian his damn money. They have already got him on the cheap for 2 yrs. Franchise Mario making next year a contract year for him.

And if they need to find money to pay Foster, why not release that pile of dog crap named Jacoby Jones. #soft
Hash-tagging doesn't work on message boards! #RememberWhereYouAre
Old 01-17-2012   #43
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunTexans View Post
someone will pay him if they try to low ball him...I think someone will push the cost on him...I have a feeling with the appeal he has, NY Jets might try to grab him...especially to help out that organization now...but either way, paying him 3.3 wont work...it may be the first offer, but some team will laugh at that, gladly trade away their 1st and 3rd for a decent 20 mil guaranteed...it'll suck for Houston if that happens...
Ben Tate: He's our answer, you can't ignore his 5.4 yard per carry average..

2011 Houston Texans 15 2 175 942 5.4 56

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012   #44
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 121746 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunTexans View Post
someone will pay him if they try to low ball him...I think someone will push the cost on him...I have a feeling with the appeal he has, NY Jets might try to grab him...especially to help out that organization now...but either way, paying him 3.3 wont work...it may be the first offer, but some team will laugh at that, gladly trade away their 1st and 3rd for a decent 20 mil guaranteed...it'll suck for Houston if that happens...
They have the right to match the offer or take the draft picks - their choice.
Old 01-17-2012   #45
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 393216 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012   #46
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 121746 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Pay arian foster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Arian gets RFA tender of a 1st and 3rd for 3.3 million. Book it. Arian's payday will come in 2013.
I think the recent CBA got rid of the 1st and 3rd option. If you look at Section 2(b) (page 36) a first round pick is as high as it goes.
Old 01-17-2012   #47
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47206 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

Ben Tate with his horrible hands and inability to stay healthy is the answer?!?

Oh geez....
Say Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-17-2012   #48
chenjy9
Veteran

Rep Power: 10910 chenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post

Let me ask you this? How many yards per reception does Tate have? How many fumbles per carries does Tate have? With Arian as our runner, it goes far beyond yards per carry. Arian is also a legitimate receiver off a check down and dangerous playmaker when that pass is made. Tate will never be able to do that with his hands. While Arian fumbled a bit more after we leaned heavily on him and were wearing him down, Tate fumbles the ball with far more frequency when you factor in how many carries he has. Ben is a good back, but he is no Arian Foster. I would never give up Arian for Ben.
chenjy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012   #49
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
I think the recent CBA got rid of the 1st and 3rd option. If you look at Section 2(b) (page 36) a first round pick is as high as it goes.
Ah, they did change it, thanks!

Quote:
(4) Right of First Refusal and One First Round Draft Selection: one year
Player Contract with a Paragraph 5 Salary of at least (a) $2,61 1 ,000, or (b) 1 10% of the
player's prior year's Paragraph 5 Salary, whichever is greater; in addition, if option (b)
applies, all other terms of the player's prior year contract are carried forward unchanged.
(ii) Beginning in the 2012 League Year, the dollar amounts specified in Subsection
(i) above shall increase annually by the percentage increase (if any) in the Salary
Cap over the prior League Year, subject to a minimum increase of 5% and a maXllrlUm
increase of 1 0%
Looks like Arian can be given a 2.611 million offer tendered with a 1st round pick. A single 1st round pick may not be enough to secure him. The Bengals would likely be willing to sign him to a deal and give up their 21st pick. May be forced to lock him up long term afterall...
Dutchrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012   #50
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post
Ben Tate with his horrible hands and inability to stay healthy is the answer?!?

Oh geez....
Agreed. Ben Tate is apart of the solution. But definitely not the answer. Last time I checked, you want to retain great players who are great people.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012   #51
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Ah, they did change it, thanks!

Looks like Arian can be given a 2.611 million offer tendered with a 1st round pick. A single 1st round pick may not be enough to secure him. The Bengals would likely be willing to sign him to a deal and give up their 21st pick. May be forced to lock him up long term afterall...
But it may allow the Texans to avoid the brain damage associated with negotiating the terms of that long term deal.
Old 01-17-2012   #52
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenjy9 View Post
Let me ask you this? How many yards per reception does Tate have? How many fumbles per carries does Tate have? With Arian as our runner, it goes far beyond yards per carry. Arian is also a legitimate receiver off a check down and dangerous playmaker when that pass is made. Tate will never be able to do that with his hands. While Arian fumbled a bit more after we leaned heavily on him and were wearing him down, Tate fumbles the ball with far more frequency when you factor in how many carries he has. Ben is a good back, but he is no Arian Foster. I would never give up Arian for Ben.
I'm not making a case that Ben Tate is as good as Arian, I'm making a case that if Arian decided that he wants to go make 10 million a year elsewhere that Ben Tate is a viable running back for us next year with Ward backing him up.

I just don't see paying Foster 8-10M a year we can't afford to pay everyone that or else we wouldn't have a team.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012   #53
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

hard to fill a roster when paying everyone top dollar. brisiel and myers need some cash also. we seen brisiel miss a few games, what if he and myers leave cause we cant afford them. is the line more important than the rb? arian is great but the guys infront of him play well together. i would put mario behind these three guys but myers and brisiel before arian. the offseason is so much fun
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012   #54
RunTexans
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
hard to fill a roster when paying everyone top dollar. brisiel and myers need some cash also. we seen brisiel miss a few games, what if he and myers leave cause we cant afford them. is the line more important than the rb? arian is great but the guys infront of him play well together. i would put mario behind these three guys but myers and brisiel before arian. the offseason is so much fun
Are you kidding me? Look no disrespect whatsoever to the Line, they have done a hell of a job, but this is the same line (mostly) that blocked for Slaton when the Texans were the worst in the league...Again, nothing against the line they are excellent, but with this scheme, just as much as you can call Arian a system player, the line is just the same...dont get me wrong, the replacement of any of the line and even Arian will be a drop off, but your playmaker isnt on the line, its the guy with the ball in his hands...I honestly feel if NEEDED, you could fill a line spot within the draft and be ok, I dont think that there are many Arian Fosters out there...The ZBS (for all the hype about the system) has only produced 2 great backs, Terell Davis and Arian, thats not the system, thats the back!

Again, nothing against the Line or the system, but Arian is a marquee player, check his stats on some of the things he's accomplished, they once said it was the Full Back that made Arian, then it was the system, now its the line and soon it'll be something else, at the end of the day, this kid is a gamechanger, a baller, he has it, whatever it is, he's got it...nothing can replace Arian, not a better line, not a back, he is exactly what he is!
RunTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012   #55
chenjy9
Veteran

Rep Power: 10910 chenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not making a case that Ben Tate is as good as Arian, I'm making a case that if Arian decided that he wants to go make 10 million a year elsewhere that Ben Tate is a viable running back for us next year with Ward backing him up.

I just don't see paying Foster 8-10M a year we can't afford to pay everyone that or else we wouldn't have a team.
Being simply viable at RB means we are taking a huge step back, which is compounded by the fact that the running game defines our offense. I honestly don't see McNair or Smith letting Foster go and will sign him for a high dollar contract. I expect to see a lot of contract restructuring with our remaining players to try to make it all work. This would be a long shot on any other team, but fortunately for us, this team seems very tightly knit and willing to make sacrifices for the team.

On a more depressing speculative note, I honestly believe it will come down to Foster or Mario for the FO if both are demanding top dollar. If Reed has not done so well, I would have been more inclined to believe Foster would be let go. However, considering the proven effectiveness of a D even without Mario, that only makes signing Foster over Mario much stronger.
chenjy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012   #56
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Not everyone else is worth that kind of money.

Foster will get paid.

I doubt McNair wants to make him he highest paid running back in the league, but I'm sure he'll be top 5..... maybe even top 3.

I don't believe Foster wants to be the highest paid running back in the league.... top 3-5 is more likely what he is thinking.
Old 01-17-2012   #57
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Myers is the only guy I'd be interested in bending a little bit to keep. Brisiel... love the guy, but if he thinks he can go elsewhere & be a part of what he's got going on here, he's fooling himself.

He's a starter here, he'll have to fight for that spot elsewhere.
Old 01-17-2012   #58
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5079 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
not to be an ass but is it the system or him? when you say pay him how much? i like foster but what is the price?
it is him... the man has agility vision and big play potential you can't "system" that.
Old 01-17-2012   #59
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5079 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Ben Tate is a good back but he is not foster pay the man that got you to the playoffs. Personally I think you pay foster and trade Tate for picks.
Old 01-17-2012   #60
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
not to be an ass but is it the system or him? when you say pay him how much? i like foster but what is the price?
BOTH! The system works with the right fit and he's the right fit.

Now, that said, it wasn't the system that made that spectacular catch the other day. It wasn't the system that embarrassed Michael Griffin in Tennessee on that cut-back. It's not the system that produces his uncanny speed for a bigger guy, etc. etc...

Make him one of the top three paid running backs, excluding Chris Johnson ridiculous deal.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read