Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-21-2012   #241
whitewater
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 whitewater is a quality contributor and well respectedwhitewater is a quality contributor and well respectedwhitewater is a quality contributor and well respectedwhitewater is a quality contributor and well respectedwhitewater is a quality contributor and well respectedwhitewater is a quality contributor and well respectedwhitewater is a quality contributor and well respectedwhitewater is a quality contributor and well respectedwhitewater is a quality contributor and well respectedwhitewater is a quality contributor and well respectedwhitewater is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hearing they may Franchise Tag Arian...

No! Don't do it! Somebody would surely sign him in spite of the tag. What would they have to give up? A 1st and a 3rd? He's worth more than that. Sign him long term. He will be easy to negotiate with.

Franchise tags just make players mad. They tagged Dunta Robinson and only kept him 1 year. We don't want Foster mad at this franchise.
whitewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #242
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209048 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewater View Post
No! Don't do it! Somebody would surely sign him in spite of the tag. What would they have to give up? A 1st and a 3rd? He's worth more than that. Sign him long term. He will be easy to negotiate with.

Franchise tags just make players mad. They tagged Dunta Robinson and only kept him 1 year. We don't want Foster mad at this franchise.
The "Tender" gives the Texans two things - the right to match should they want to .... should they decline a first round pick as compensation (Under the old CBA it was a 1 & 3).

The "franchise tag" basically locks Foster in for one year .... no other team can sign him.

Under either scenario they would be able to negotiate a long term deal .... Players dont like the franchise tag because they play a single year at a high salary but risk injury or .... lack of production reducing their value.(cant say I blame them)

I expect the Texans to tender Foster with the highest tender and work out a 4-6 year deal with him in the mean time.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #243
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

You always give the big conract to that diamond in the rough player that played for scraps for 3 years at a high level of play, and a low level of bitching and moaning because of his contract. I say get him locked up, consider the amounts you paid him before this new deal and revel in the fact that you didn't have to burn a draft pick for beastmode production thus far.

Kubiak's brought out the best in him, and we need guys like that to be the faces of our team.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #244
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209048 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Pay Foster now.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #245
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19254 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
He was at one point in time. I think it speaks to the shelf life of NFL RBs.
Let's be honest here, how many years came Foster play at this level? 4, 5, 6?
The average NFL RB sure. But the better...elite backs are doing this for a while.

I think Foster is a elite back and I think for anyone worrying about the shelf life of Foster...I think you can't worry about a injury history for a player that hasn't really had one outside of sprains and pulls and nicks and bruises.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #246
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 241723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Going out on a limb here but I swear I've watched MJD stuff it down our throats (when we knew it was coming!) for more than 2.7 years. But then my memory might be cloudy.
MJD was a 2nd round pick in 2006.... he has a 1000 yds/season average over his career
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #247
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Now back to your regularly scheduled Arian Foster debate.

Watch this video and I guarantee you will want to personally send Bob McNair a check to help him pay to sign Arian Foster to a muti-year contract extension.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantas...f-Arian-Foster
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-22-2012   #248
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Now back to your regularly scheduled Arian Foster debate.

Watch this video and I guarantee you will want to personally send Bob McNair a check to help him pay to sign Arian Foster to a muti-year contract extension.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantas...f-Arian-Foster
Regurlarly scheduled?? Which of the 14 threads would you be talking about??

Seriously though, watching that video just reminded me how special Arian Foster is. Ben Tate is a nice back, but he's not nearly as natural or fluid in this offense that Arian is.
Old 02-22-2012   #249
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post

Seriously though, watching that video just reminded me how special Arian Foster is. Ben Tate is a nice back, but he's not nearly as natural or fluid in this offense that Arian is.
I must have missed it. Apparently we are getting alot of Arian threads recently??
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #250
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post

They didn't even show my favorite play of the year...what should have been a TFL inside their own 5 turned into a huge gain because of #23...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfm8dJF7CpY
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #251
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario misses games every season. Give him credit for playing hurt early in his career but now it's always something. I love Mario and wish he could stay but for my money, I'm going with Foster who has only made this team better since he got on the field with us.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #252
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I'd like them to get a long term deal done with Arian, but they only have 3 weeks to do so. The franchise tag can be applied on March 5th if they don't have one by then. That's the only case in which I see them using it, but it buys them time to negotiate more and keeps him focused on the Texans, not 31 other potential suitors. The RFA tag doesn't do that and it could inflate his price, which is why I don't think they should go that route.
Agree.

Mario is still priority 1, we have to have him signed by March 13, period.

We can franchise Arian, then we'll have till OTAs at least to work out a long term deal. If negotiations are still active, Arian may very well show up for OTAs & TC which would give us additional time to work out a long term deal.

It's possible to do the same with Mario, only we expose ourselves to being stuck for $23M if we can't work out a long-term deal he'll accept, or a trade he'll accept.

Being stuck for $23M for the 2012 cap is something we cannot risk.
Old 02-22-2012   #253
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If it were that easy, you & I would be running real NFL franchises.

It takes the right eyes to identify the right back, the right center, the right OL men, the right receivers, TE, etc...

Then it takes the right teachers to instruct, guide, nurture the talent.

Then It takes hundreds of hours to hone the physical skills, the mental calls.

At least with Arian, at least you know you've got the right back. & If you know Kubiak, you know you have a serious pro.

Trent Richardson..... just like all the other draft picks... is a roll of the dice.
Yep. I thought we were STOOPID to pass on Glen Coffee (he went to the 49ers) and what happened? Glen Coffee got tired of playing football and decided he wanted to be a minister or some such thing.

Turns out the Texans have a better way of identifying and scrutinizing college players than GP does.
Old 02-22-2012   #254
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agree.

Mario is still priority 1, we have to have him signed by March 13, period.

We can franchise Arian, then we'll have till OTAs at least to work out a long term deal. If negotiations are still active, Arian may very well show up for OTAs & TC which would give us additional time to work out a long term deal.

It's possible to do the same with Mario, only we expose ourselves to being stuck for $23M if we can't work out a long-term deal he'll accept, or a trade he'll accept.

Being stuck for $23M for the 2012 cap is something we cannot risk.
I think order of preference, for me, would be:

1. Sign Arian to a long-term deal NOW. If not, then....

2. Tag him for one year, but only with the purest of intentions to keep negotiations alive and hammer out a deal before camp begins.

3. Tender him and pray to God that some other team doesn't throw $100 million at him or some bizarre number that we'd then have to match. If you risk the tendering route, you only have yourself to blame if another team smartly outbids you and now you've got to replace that franchise RB somehow.

Seriously, the first choice SHOULD happen if we're serious about locking him up. The second choice, for me, is a fallback plan if he and his agent are asking what some other team might propose if Arian were to be tendered and able to get an offer sheet from another team.
Old 02-22-2012   #255
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 11151 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

I want AF as a Texan for years to come. Why? Our playoffs this year. That effort he was giving those games may of been matched by a few, but was not surpassed by any.
Old 02-22-2012   #256
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I think order of preference, for me, would be:

1. Sign Arian to a long-term deal NOW. If not, then....

Seriously, the first choice SHOULD happen if we're serious about locking him up.
Let's think about this for a minute.
  1. let's figure out what Arian is worth.
  2. How much we are willing to pay him
  3. How much does Arian think he's worth
  4. How will we structure the contract
  5. Make a deal

The last three contracts that come to mind, are:
Adrian Peterson's
7 years $100M - $36M guaranteed - $40M in first 3 years
DeAngelo Williams'
5 years, $43M - $21M guaranteed
Chris Johnson's.
6 years $56M - ~$33M Guaranteed
Where do you think Arian Fits in?
Old 02-22-2012   #257
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

doublepost :-(
Old 02-22-2012   #258
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Let's think about this for a minute.
  1. let's figure out what Arian is worth.
  2. How much we are willing to pay him
  3. How much does Arian think he's worth
  4. How will we structure the contract
  5. Make a deal

The last three contracts that come to mind, are:
Adrian Peterson's
7 years $100M - $36M guaranteed - $40M in first 3 years
DeAngelo Williams'
5 years, $43M - $21M guaranteed
Chris Johnson's.
6 years $56M - ~$33M Guaranteed
Where do you think Arian Fits in?

More importantly, were does Arian think Arian fits in?

I've heard talk that would insinuate he may not want money.. but being human myself, I'm thinking if I've out-performed everyone for the past couple of years and have not made a real stink out of my pay through that and now it's time for a new contract... I'm getting paid. That is the trend in the business side of the NFL, yes?

I elect for the franchise tag and work out what kind of a deal you can. If he want's to get paid more than FO thinks he's worth.. at least you have another year of service.
Old 02-22-2012   #259
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 115966 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

The funny thing is that fans were just a vehement in their demands to see Robinson get his money, but as soon as he held out they turned on him and from that point forward insisted that he sucked(even though it was technically the best year of his career as a cover man).

For even more humor, I was one of the only ones who was saying that D-Rob was being overrated before his holdout.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #260
GP 
Go Texans!

Here was my spin on Dunta's antics, a doctored image I created back when all this Dunta jazz was the craze around here.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read